PDA

View Full Version : Nar Looking For Members

Rocket Doctor
11-13-2007, 02:36 PM
I just received a letter from Jennifer-Ash-Poole, ORR Chair and Special Events Coordinator,NARAM 50

The NAR is looking for members who's NAR number is 50,000 or less for the gathering for the Old Rocketeers Reunion at NARAM 50.

They are also looking for old photos to go along with the event.

If you have any questions, email Jennifer at the following

naram50orr@gmail.com

falingtrea
11-13-2007, 11:15 PM
Eh, I guess they didn't raise the bar much from the last Old Rocketeers reunion. :( Oh well, maybe next time. :rolleyes:

Carl@Semroc
11-13-2007, 11:40 PM
I sure hope they are not excluding the "youngsters" from the reunion. I know this has been discussed, but since this might be the last time for many of the "low numbers" at NARAM, I would sure like my wife and son to be with me when I finally get to meet many of them!

Maybe give the "low numbers" a special ribbon and a badge that says, "Ask me about the early days..." When some of the youth present attend the 100th, they can say they met the REALLY old ones at the 50th reunion.

Rocket Doctor
11-14-2007, 05:28 AM
From what I understand, anyone can mingle with us Old Timers,and, like Carl has mentioned, this could be the year to meet and greet the pioneers of the hobby in one place.

The cut off of 50,000 is hard to imagine, since my number is 9803, WOW.

NARAM 50 should be agreat time for all, and, I hope that as many fellow rocketeers, but Old timers as well as neebies can attend and mingle and talk rockets.

jadebox
11-14-2007, 08:54 AM
I just received a letter from Jennifer-Ash-Poole, ORR Chair and Special Events Coordinator,NARAM 50

The NAR is looking for members who's NAR number is 50,000 or less for the gathering for the Old Rocketeers Reunion at NARAM 50.

Just out of curiosity, about what year does that represent? I first joined the NAR sometime about 30 years ago, but didn't request my old number when I rejoined as a BAR.

-- Roger

ghrocketman
11-14-2007, 11:12 AM

snuggles
11-14-2007, 12:07 PM
You can request your old # back when you rejoin.
Mark T

Shreadvector
11-14-2007, 12:39 PM
You can request your old # back when you rejoin.
Mark T

YES. You simply need to remember it and let them know when you re-join.

Rocket Doctor
11-14-2007, 01:33 PM
I don't know what 50,000 represents as far as how long ago the numbers were issued. But, by all means, rejoin and join us at NARAM 50 in The Plains, VA July 26th - Aug 1st

Initiator001
11-14-2007, 01:58 PM
There has been some mis-information/rumors floating around various websites/forums about who can attend an "Old Rocketeers Reunion".

I attended the last ORR at NARAM-41 in 1999.

The answer is: ANYONE can attend the ORR.

For the ORR at NARAM-41, there was reserved seating set aside for NAR members based on their NAR number, i.e.: lower than 1000, lower than 10,000, lower than 20,000, etc.

The folks with the lowest NAR number got to sit closer to the front of the room with the higher numbers sitting further to the back of the room.

There was more than enough room for everyone.

I would suggest that a microphone and speaker system be set up so that everyone can hear what the 'guests' at the front table are saying.

Bob

Carl@Semroc
11-14-2007, 02:25 PM
There has been some mis-information/rumors floating around various websites/forums about who can attend an "Old Rocketeers Reunion"....
Thanks, Bob.

That sounds much better than some of the rumors.!

barone
11-14-2007, 03:29 PM
I joined the NAR in the early 90s....you can see my NAR number below....

Rocket Doctor
11-14-2007, 07:02 PM
To find ut the porper information please contact

Jennifer-ASh-Poole

naram50orr@gmail.com

Jennifer can answer any question regarding any special events at NARAM 50

We don't need rumors, half truths or anything else regarding this great event.

Of course, everyone is WELCOME, this is our biggest celebration.

What ever they have in mind, that's up to Jennifer and the host sections, please contact Jennifer for details.

Green Dragon
11-14-2007, 09:09 PM
This is the link I was sent regarding the event :

http://www.naram.org/orr50/lists.html

list of active members and numbers, along with who's "confirmed" for NARAM 50 .

I joined in late 81 / early 82 ( not sure exact date, but I have MR mags with my mailing labels circa 1982 ) .

look forward to attending ( if real life allows ) , and meeting all my fellow 'old timers' .lol....

why do I suddenly feel old ??????

~ AL

NAR 34644

Tripoli 090

Earl
11-14-2007, 09:20 PM
I don't know what 50,000 represents as far as how long ago the numbers were issued. But, by all means, rejoin and join us at NARAM 50 in The Plains, VA July 26th - Aug 1st

I joined in June, 1978 and am NAR# 29523 (been a member ever since).

Joined Tripol in October, 1989 and am TRA# 962. Not sure what TRA numbers are up to at this time (still an active member of TRA as well), but I want to say well over 10,000 but not sure.

Where do the more current NAR member numbers stand? Approaching 90,000 or so? Anyone know?

Earl

Rocket Doctor
11-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Contact the NAR at www.nar.org

Bob H
11-14-2007, 09:44 PM
The problem is that a lot of "Old Rockteers" didn't join the NAR until much later.

When I first started flying rockets in 1967, I knew exactly 1 other person that flew rockets. We didn't join the NAR because we wanted to spend our money on rockets and joining didn't seem like it was going to benefit us.

I finally joined the NAR around 1995 so I don't qualify.

Perhaps they should be calling this the "Old NAR Members Reunion" since that is exactly what it is.

barone
11-14-2007, 09:51 PM
The problem is that a lot of "Old Rockteers" didn't join the NAR until much later.

When I first started flying rockets in 1967, I knew exactly 1 other person that flew rockets. We didn't join the NAR because we wanted to spend our money on rockets and joining didn't seem like it was going to benefit us.

Perhaps they should be calling this the "Old NAR Members Reunion" since that is exactly what it is.
Yep..I'm in the same boat. First rocket must have flown in 67-68 (X-Ray). Only me and the kid down the street were flying...Estes. That was in Texas. Moved to California and didn't fly (no one else there flying either). Moved to Ohio in 72 and the guy next door and I flew together. Got my cousin interested (he could drive us to the launch site). SO there was the three of us......20 years later before I actually joined the NAR. And I only did that so I could start competing....opened up a whole new world of model rocketry.

dwmzmm
11-14-2007, 10:05 PM
Heck, I joined the NAR in 1971 or 1972, having started in the hobby in 1969. Once I got a
hold of the Model Rocketry magazines and started reading about the Open/Regional/
National contests, I was hooked. To me, the NAR membership and model rocketry is a must,
and has to go hand-in-hand.

Wish I could go to NARAM - 50, but not sure at this point if I can. The reunion event should be THE highlight of the entire week. Should be really something. Well, we'll see one way or
another.

sandman
11-14-2007, 10:55 PM

I started in 1959 and I knew NOBODY else that flew model rockets except my one buddy down the road who got all his model rocket stuff from me.

Living out in the country I couldn't even find magazine articles about the hobby.

The NAR...what was that? :confused:

I didn't join until about 1997...almost 40 years later.

Rocket Doctor
11-15-2007, 03:52 AM
I think that the main issue here is, we all will be coming together to live rockets, talk rockets and fly rockets.

If you have been in the hobby for one day or 50 years, it's important that we have the opportunity to celebrate the golden anniversary of th hobby.

Let's make the most out of it, the ORR, is only a small segment of the whole meet. And, I hope that as many rocketeers can attend and meet old friends and make new friends as well.

It should be a great time, Vern and Gleda will be there, and Lee and Betty Should be there as well as otheers that were instrumental in the hobby.

Let's all have a great time , having been a part of this great celebration of the 50th.

jadebox
11-15-2007, 09:55 AM
I joined the NAR in the early 90s....you can see my NAR number below....

Ah .. so many of us would be considered "old." :-)

I originally joined back in 1974 or 1975, I think. But I don't recall what my number was. But it must have been pretty low. :-)

-- Roger

Rocketflyer
11-15-2007, 10:46 AM
I think that the main issue here is, we all will be coming together to live rockets, talk rockets and fly rockets.

If you have been in the hobby for one day or 50 years, it's important that we have the opportunity to celebrate the golden anniversary of th hobby.

Let's make the most out of it, the ORR, is only a small segment of the whole meet. And, I hope that as many rocketeers can attend and meet old friends and make new friends as well.

It should be a great time, Vern and Gleda will be there, and Lee and Betty Should be there as well as otheers that were instrumental in the hobby.

Let's all have a great time , having been a part of this great celebration of the 50th.

Well said! :)

I'm going. I may not fly, but I sure want to meet the people on the forum, and hopefully Vern & Gleda, Lee & Betty. I can also do range duty if they need help.

Jack

Rocket Doctor
11-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Jack

Would love to meet you at NARAM 50, this should be a very gathering of fellow rocketeers and all is welcome and encouraged to attend if possible.

Rocketflyer
11-15-2007, 11:16 AM
Jack

Would love to meet you at NARAM 50, this should be a very gathering of fellow rocketeers and all is welcome and encouraged to attend if possible.

Hi Rocket Doctor,

You are from "North" Jersey, correct? Do you fly with GSSS? I'm wondering if we have met at a combined launch at Gloucester Co. College. SoJARS is my club, (sojars.org), where I'm RSO. In the past, we have had fun in competion with them. I'm a sport flyer.

It will be so nice to put faces to names. :)

Jack

Rocket Doctor
11-15-2007, 12:24 PM
Hello Jack

Yes, from "North" Jersey. I am a member of GSSS, only have been to two launches, the one in June and the one in Sept. I had a little write up in the next to last newsletter.

If the weather hold out, and there isn't any rain, snow, blizzard, high winds etc, I am planning on going to the Nov launch at North Branch Park.

Are you planning on going to NARAM? I am planning on being there and hoping to meet friends from the Estes Forum and this Forum.

I'm listed on their web page as well, and listed on the NAR list #9803.
Ken....RD

Rocketflyer
11-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Hello Jack

Yes, from "North" Jersey. I am a member of GSSS, only have been to two launches, the one in June and the one in Sept. I had a little write up in the next to last newsletter.

If the weather hold out, and there isn't any rain, snow, blizzard, high winds etc, I am planning on going to the Nov launch at North Branch Park.

Are you planning on going to NARAM? I am planning on being there and hoping to meet friends from the Estes Forum and this Forum.

I'm listed on their web page as well, and listed on the NAR list #9803.
Ken....RD

OK Ken/ RD! :)

Yes, I plan to be there, and looking forward to shaking your hand.

Jack

Rocket Doctor
11-15-2007, 03:48 PM
Will you be at the next GSSS launch the end of this month?

Rocketflyer
11-16-2007, 09:05 AM
Will you be at the next GSSS launch the end of this month?

No, sorry. I can't make the GSSS launch. What I did mean was I will see you at NARAM 50 and Shake your hand.

If I can get to GSSS, so much the better, but I doubt I'll be out much in the cold as my hands cannot take too much of it.

Rocket Doctor
11-16-2007, 09:26 AM
I know what you mean, I don't like or can stand the cold much either. But, it's raining again, and the GSSS launches seem to attract rain.

So, see you at NARAM.

slipstick
12-14-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm really looking forward to NARAM-50 and meeting folks. I doubt if I would remember anyone, since I was only 13 at NARAM-2, but we can fake knowing each other . ;) The big problem for me is the learning curve on all the new contest events and building for them. Is anyone on this forum from the original Peak City or Mile-Hi sections?

http://www.telerover.com/rockets/DSC00080.JPG

Leo
12-15-2007, 03:20 PM
Well, I just checked to see what NAR number I had back in the 80's.

It was 33680 so I would qualify :)

I'm no longer a member however :(

barone
12-15-2007, 03:51 PM
Well, I just checked to see what NAR number I had back in the 80's.

It was 33680 so I would qualify :)

I'm no longer a member however :(
Leo,

No problem. Just go to the NAR site and renew using your old NAR number. You get to keep it.

Rocket Doctor
12-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Leo

Don is correct, you can rejoin and ask for your old NAR number.
Then, you can come over and attend NARAM 50, we would all like to meet you.
Ken

Leo
12-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Thanks guys but being overseas membership would just be luxury.

Attending NARAN 50 would be great but the date is the problem.

I'll be in the States end of March (see my other thread).

barone
12-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Thanks guys but being overseas membership would just be luxury.

Attending NARAN 50 would be great but the date is the problem.

I'll be in the States end of March (see my other thread).
A lot of people feel being a NAR member is a luxury......$65 a year for seniors :eek:

Rocketflyer
12-15-2007, 08:20 PM
A lot of people feel being a NAR member is a luxury......$65 a year for seniors :eek:

I can go with you on that, Don, but it is a luxury I'll keep as long as I can. TRA is more expensive, and '08 may be the year I don't renew it.

I can't justify traveling 4hrs to MDRA. They are a terrific group, and have a very well run launch, NAR/TRA, but still too much travel for one day, and too costly for over night.

*sigh* :( I shoulda been born rich instead of smart and handsome. ;) Wait, that was last life :rolleyes: :p

barone
12-15-2007, 08:43 PM
I keep mine up so I can compete. Problem is that the competitions are so far from home (overnighters). I think I'll be sending some in for proxies this year and save up for the NARAM. Already missed one regional so I'll have to make up some points somewhere (Launch Crue only do four regionals). Might try to make a meet in Manchester TN to make up some points. It's only about a five hour drive compared to the six to Indiana :rolleyes:

dwmzmm
12-15-2007, 08:49 PM
I keep mine up so I can compete. Problem is that the competitions are so far from home (overnighters). I think I'll be sending some in for proxies this year and save up for the NARAM. Already missed one regional so I'll have to make up some points somewhere (Launch Crue only do four regionals). Might try to make a meet in Manchester TN to make up some points. It's only about a five hour drive compared to the six to Indiana :rolleyes:

Move down here to Houston, TX. We have four Regionals this year; two have already been
held and two are on the way.....

barone
12-15-2007, 10:52 PM
Move down here to Houston, TX. We have four Regionals this year; two have already been
held and two are on the way.....
Thanks Dave but I've already been to Houston (for non-competition reasons) and the 10 hour drive is just a little much for me both physically and financially. As for moving there, I'd rather take my chances with tornadoes than hurricanes.. :D