PDA

View Full Version : Mars Lander Launch Lug ???

tbzep
11-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Why did Estes (and now Semroc) stick the launch lug out past the rear shroud of the model? Was it meant to look like a turbopump exhaust (Like the Thor missile), or was there a functional reason for it not to be cut flush with the aft bulkhead?

Pyro Pro
11-15-2007, 08:17 PM
In the original (v1.00) version of the Semroc's kit's instructions, the launch lug did stick out behind the model. However, I believe that someone mentioned that the end of the lug was trimmed on the Estes kit, and the instructions were later updated so that the end of the lug was trimmed to flush with the base ring (along with a few other revisions to part numbers, etc.)

Maybe Carl or someone else can provide a bit more information?

dwmzmm
11-15-2007, 09:20 PM
I still have my Estes vintage kit, and the launch lug is trimmed flush on both ends....

dtomko
11-15-2007, 09:42 PM
The Estes plans from JimZ's site say to cut the lug flush.

Drew

tbzep
11-15-2007, 09:47 PM
I'd just assumed that his instructions were the same as the Estes version.

I am planning on cutting it flush anyway because I intend to modify the rear of the ML to be able to service the rubber bands. I thought about using springs like several have already documented, but that solution is too easy. Plus, I just have to be different. ;)

My modification should be about 0.00000003478952 oz. lighter than the spring method. :D

Carl@Semroc
11-16-2007, 12:43 AM
In the original (v1.00) version of the Semroc's kit's instructions, the launch lug did stick out behind the model. However, I believe that someone mentioned that the end of the lug was trimmed on the Estes kit, and the instructions were later updated so that the end of the lug was trimmed to flush with the base ring (along with a few other revisions to part numbers, etc.)

Maybe Carl or someone else can provide a bit more information?Pyro Pro is right!
Beaker caught this missed step early in the cycle and it was corrected in later copies of the instructions. It should be cut flush with the bottom ring.

sewflynwa
11-29-2007, 09:34 AM
Drew,

What is the URL for "JimZ's site"? I have not seen it before.

Thanks,

Cary

Ltvscout
11-29-2007, 09:55 AM
Drew,

What is the URL for "JimZ's site"? I have not seen it before.
JimZ's rocket plans can be seen at:

http://www.dars.org/jimz/rp00.htm

Ye Olde Rocket Plans can be seen at:

http://www.oldrocketplans.com

Doug Sams
11-29-2007, 10:35 AM
JimZ's rocket plans can be seen at:

http://www.dars.org/jimz/rp00.htm
There are important milestones in life. Your first kiss. Your first beer. Losing your virginity. And your first visit to JimZ's :D

Doug

sandman
11-29-2007, 12:08 PM
There are important milestones in life. Your first kiss. Your first beer. Losing your virginity. And your first visit to JimZ's :D

Doug

That's a good one.

kurtschachner
11-29-2007, 12:09 PM
Jim Z's, along with Scott's site are a resource that we take for granted now. 10 years ago that wasn't the case. A couple of years ago I found a freeware program that could download an entire website and I let it run overnight on JimZs. I then burned a couple of DVDs with the files. Who knows how long that will be available?

Back in the early days in order to find plans you generally posted a message to RMR (anybody still visit there?), or you used your personal network of email addresses to get the stuff you wanted. Sunsite had a few plans but other than that you were on your own. Countdown Hobbies sold some plans for a few bucks.

Interestingly the Sunsite site still exists but isn't called "sunsite" anymore. How retro is that?

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/archives/rec.models.rockets/

Under the plans directory are PDF files, many of which I converted from the original PostScript files. I think I used Acrobat version 1 or 2 :)

sewflynwa
11-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Thanks Scott. I was aware of the Ye Olde Rocket Plans site, but JimZ's is a new one for me. Looks like I have a new site to explore!

Thanks,

Cary

LeeR
11-29-2007, 10:08 PM

Doug

WARNING: If you visit JimZ's first, you may never experience the other milestones. :eek:

Also, remember the simple rule about finding a website - try Google first.

Googling JimZ yields the website as the first listing. I hardly bookmark sites anymore -- easier to Google them ...

:)