PDA

View Full Version : Foam Filling

Questor
11-21-2007, 04:06 PM
Hello everyone,

I have a rocket project coming up that includes one large foam ball. My questions is what techniques can I use to fill-in the ball and get a light weight smooth finish?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

barone
11-21-2007, 04:39 PM
Use light weight wall spackling.....pre-mixed.

James Pierson
11-21-2007, 09:00 PM
barone:

Yep, thats the stuff. You might also concider hardening off the foam againts impacts as well. I use a coat of Devcon 2 part epoxy to do this. Its somewhat sandable and can be found at most Ace hardware stores. Beware of CA and some other glues that will melt the foam and give off toxic fumes. I learned that the hard way once when I gases myself out of the garage :D , oop's.

Good luck, JP.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

Green Dragon
11-21-2007, 10:38 PM

shouldn't that be " lightweight BALL spackling " ??? :D

actually, I;ve seen and used styrofoam balls in a high density / smooth surface coating, available here at AC Moore, should be at Michaels, etc.

my clone ( rebuild of my destroyed original ) VBR Spudnik, uses one of those smooth surface balls.

~ AL

jadebox
11-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Hello everyone,

I have a rocket project coming up that includes one large foam ball. My questions is what techniques can I use to fill-in the ball and get a light weight smooth finish?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Deja vu. :-)

We used a couple of layers of fiberglass to cover the 12" hollow foam ball which forms the head of our "Big Daddy Akavish":

http://www.payloadbay.com/gallery/d/14663-2/Big-Daddy-Akavish

We covered it with fur, but the surface was pretty smooth before that. It could have been smoother, but we knew it would be covered with fur so we weren't all that careful with the fiberglass and epoxy.

It survived a no-chute, head first, "Gosh, it bounces," landing on its most recent flight with no damage.

More info at: http://www.payloadbay.com/article-debut-of-the-big-daddy-akavish.html

-- Roger

Questor
11-28-2007, 06:09 PM
I thank you all for your ideas. I know personally that fiberglassing is not a option I'm going to use. This is due to work location. To give addition information the foam ball is just six inches in diameter.

Thanks again and I hope there will be some more ideas posted.

mrhemi1971
11-28-2007, 09:24 PM
if you dont mind a little sanding you can use hobbylite filler from hobbico, the stuff sands really easily and can get glass smooth. plus your local hobby shop or any online store can get it for you.