PDA

View Full Version : V-32 Takes Flight... Kinda.

K.M.Knox
11-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Well, my son and I took the V-32 to the golf course range today (since it is now closed) and tried a couple of engines. First flight was an A8-3, totally underpowered. The second flight was a B6-4, while the power was ok it severely arced downwind and bounced a few times while under delay and then popped the nose while laying on the ground. Some minor scratches was wall it suffered, but it really needs a calm day (today is not) for some proper testing. Here's a pad pic and also a ignition pic.
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc28/kmknox_mn/IMG_1363_Cropped.jpg
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc28/kmknox_mn/IMG_1358.jpg

K.M.Knox
11-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Well, let's just say the C6-3 did not fair any better in the V-32. It got about 50' up on a very nice straight line and then went a little haywire. After bouncing around under thrust for a second or so and then waiting another 1-2 seconds, it went through the ejection portion of the flight.

I am thinking there is just not enough fin surface area to correct a slight bump in the road. And even with a full ounce of weight and the engine mount shoved forward and all that goodness, it just can't get a stable flight. I am gonna have to give it one more try, but it will have to be a completely calm day because this baby does not do well with any wind. Hmmm.

On another note we did get my 10 year old The Shadow off the ground on a D12-3, flew great with a nice weathercock and arced flight but the 3 second delay was perfect and it came down nicely on the original nylon chute (has a few singed holes in it but still worthy). Also got the recently finished Stormcaster up on a C11-3, first time I have flown that engine. I like it. Nice quick, straight flight to a couple hundred feet I think and then a gentle recovery a short distance from the pad (if you think a 100yds is short).

All in all my 22 month old son had a blast, and his dad did too ;) !

barone
11-26-2007, 08:28 PM
Kurt....motor mount shoved forward? Have you tried a swing test? Where is your balance point? If you added weight to the nose, it would seem to me you'd want to have the motor as far to the rear as you can get it.

Okay, I'm not a rocket scientist. It just seems like the longer the moment arm, the better your stability (long rocket vs short rocket thing).