PDA

View Full Version : Alps Ink and Printers

kurtschachner
12-23-2007, 06:52 PM
Anyone who has one (or more) Alps printers knows they have stopped any kind of support for them, and discontinuing the ink can't be far behind. Even if you make do with the other inks out there (there are several alternatives), one of these days your printer is going to die and then what? Do they still make the super-expensive Kodak printer? I guess not, a quick search shows it may be discontinued.

Alps printers were never a perfect solution to reproducing decals, the ink is ever so soft and many colors couldn't be accurately reproduced with the inks. I *still* want to get some certain decals screen-printed but I'm pretty much striking out on finding a place that'll do what I want. The one place I used before has gone out of business.

Just wondering what the consensus is out there for post-Alps custom decals.

Phred
12-23-2007, 07:48 PM
Hi Kurt,

You are so correct. ALL support ceased for ALPS printers almost 1 year ago.

The ink production actually stopped as well. Wholesalers were advised to place their 'last' orders early last December. I purchased a ton of ink.

OKI ink is still available in europe (The ALPS printers were labeled OKI in Europe), but we have no idea if it is simply old stock, or if it is still in production. It is just about twice as expensive as the US ALPS branded inks were.

ALPS has also reportedly refused to share their ink technology to aftermarket ink vendors, so this appears to be a dead end as well.

As you mention, certain colors just do not print well on the ALPS, and the prints scratch ever so easily.

Some have tried to switch to using a pair of OKIDATA 5200 printers: One to print the white aeas, followed by a second color print through the other printer. Setup costs are huge for the home hobbiest: Two OKI 5200 printer plus $1,250.00 for drums and ink to print the white decals.
To top is off, the OKI 5200 does not primnt as crisply as an ALPS printer....

So far, there is no answer on the horizon...

Phred

kurtschachner
12-23-2007, 08:57 PM
IMHO the answer is screen printing. It is a far superior method of making decals and the quality can be excellent. You can print any color you want and they aren't easily scratched.

I found these places:

http://www.flexo.us/

http://www.railgraphicsdecals.com/Rail_Graphics_Decals_from_your_Artwork.htm

but I have yet to contact them. I'll do it after the new year and see what comes of it.

If I could find some good information, I'd consider doing it myself :eek:

scigs30
12-26-2007, 02:41 PM
I have 2 Alps printers and they are great. I too loaded up on the cartridges and should be OK and long as the ribbon does not go bad. Alps printers are hard to come by. You can pay up to 300.00 dollars or more on eBay and not be guaranteed that it will work. Then if something goes wrong there is no one to fix it. I found my Alps on Craigslist for 50 bucks. You can still buy Alps ribbon but it is expensive. If you find an Alps printer that works then start loading up on cartridges and keep your eyes open for a second printer. I believe you could get away with spending 800.00 to 1000.00 dollars for 2 MD-1000 printers and enough ribbon to last a couple hundred sheets of decals. I know that is a lot of money for a hobby. Hope there is a solution in the near future.