PDA

View Full Version : launch rod diameter??

zixxerboy
12-31-2007, 03:04 PM
Is 3/32" welding rod too small for B size motors? Also whats a good length?
Thanks.

Green Dragon
12-31-2007, 05:28 PM
1/8" is the standard model rocket launch rod size.

I see no reason that 3/32" should not be ok, if mounted sturdy, and little wind - rocket might wobble slightly, but if calm , should not tip off much .

~ AL

zixxerboy
12-31-2007, 09:55 PM
I think I'll go back and swap/buy the 1/8. What length do you suggest?

CPMcGraw
12-31-2007, 11:09 PM
I think I'll go back and swap/buy the 1/8. What length do you suggest?

Typical length of the rod is 36". For most kits, like those from SEMROC, and RTF rockets, like those from Estes, this is fine. Home Depot and Lowes both carry steel rod in 1/8", 3/16", and 1/4" diameters, in 36" and 48" lengths. We generally recommend using a one-piece rod, as these tend to be a bit stiffer, straighter, and more stable than the two-piece rods found in most starter sets.

kurtschachner
01-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Like was mentioned, 36" is usually just fine. A four-foot rod is sometimes better for heavier, slower rockets that need a bit more guidance before they come up to speed.

One of our club members (hi Scott!) had a source for 3 and 4 foot stainless steel rods in a variety of diameters, these are superior in corrosion and rust resistance but are much softer than the ones you will find in Home Depot. You have to be more careful with SS that it doesn't get bent. If you clean off the rods between uses though and keep them dry, then the plain steel ones are fine.

Ltvscout
01-01-2008, 11:10 PM
One of our club members (hi Scott!) had a source for 3 and 4 foot stainless steel rods in a variety of diameters, these are superior in corrosion and rust resistance but are much softer than the ones you will find in Home Depot. You have to be more careful with SS that it doesn't get bent. If you clean off the rods between uses though and keep them dry, then the plain steel ones are fine.
Unfortunately, I no longer have that company as a client. I still have a bunch of them (1/8", 3/16" & 1/4") though if I'm not mistaken if you need some for yourself, Kurt.