PDA

View Full Version : Important Kit Announcement

Rocket Doctor
01-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Happy New Yesr to everyone
Within the next day or two, I will be posting an Important Kit Announcemnet, the details are being worked out as you read this.

This will be very exciting to all and the only thing that i can mention right now is "Golden Scout".

So, stay tuned for this announcement and it will be posted in a day or two.
Thanks for stopping by.

stefanj
01-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Golden Scout . . . Golden Scout.

Damn, what a brain-tease! I just can't figure out what that could possibly be about! ;)

barone
01-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Hhmmm....Golden Scout...Golden Scout.....where have I seen that term before.....hhhmmmm.....I think I was looking at some parts somewhere on the net........hhhmmmmm.....where was that.........hhhmmmm .......laser cut fins........balsa nose cones.......body tubes.......man, I'm racking my brain on this one.... ;)

PaulK
01-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Sheesh, just AFTER I bought the tubes & cones, made music wire hooks, punched out the tubes, and cut fins for 2 clones. :( Well, I suppose a couple more won't hurt.

stefanj
01-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Oooh! Oooh! I know!

Estes is releasing a gold-colored plastic replica of famous explorer Meriwether Lewis, who scouted the northwest United States.

Right, Rocket Doctor?

Skippy
01-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Gee guys, don't get all bent out of shape.

Just Google it like I did and you have all the info.

:p

Rocketflyer
01-03-2008, 06:20 AM
Gee guys, don't get all bent out of shape.

Just Google it like I did and you have all the info.

:p

Hmmm, looks like Jethro stole Granny's vee-hic cle. :eek:

Rocket Doctor
01-03-2008, 08:52 AM
The Golden Scout has nothihng to do with estes, it will be a kit, and it will be honoring an event, and setting a record as part of that event.

We are finalizing the details now, an, a official announcement will be made here about the "Golden Scout".
I will say, it has to do with the original Scout, NARAM 50 and a planned event.
Everyone will be able to participate in this event, if you are attending NARAM 50 or not!!

This will be a historical event and you should participate in this historic event and you will have the opportunity to do so.
Golden Scout
NARAM 50
Historical Event
Attendees and non attendees will be able to participate
In a day or two, I will be posting the details here, you will hear it first here on YORF,and spread the word.

ScaleNut
01-03-2008, 04:38 PM
interesting.... also,is there any more info about the shrox- estes colaboration ?

Rocket Doctor
01-03-2008, 04:55 PM
interesting.... also,is there any more info about the shrox- estes colaboration ?

This announcement has absolutely nothihng to do with Estes, and I am no longer associated with Estes and I have no idea what is going on with any Shrox proposed kits.

Fore Check
01-03-2008, 06:23 PM
I'm just glad this is about a Golden Scout, and not a Shower.

Rocket Doctor
01-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Heh, Hey, this is a "G" rated Forum............lets be serious now !!!!!

Rocket Doctor
01-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Check out the Vern Estes web page, which has been updated and mentions the Golden Scout.

More updated information to come, please stay tuned.

Solomoriah
01-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Ouch. I don't think I'd ever looked at Vern's page before. He needs a web designer, badly.

ghrocketman
01-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Search "scout" at the Semroc site and you will see some of the parts for this upcoming "golden scout"

stefanj
01-03-2008, 11:49 PM
Search "scout" at the Semroc site and you will see some of the parts for this upcoming "golden scout"

Wow, a BT-30 parallel-wound from gold leaf! Carl's really going all out.

Time to take out a loan on the 401(k).

Rocket Doctor
01-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Do a search for Vern Estes home page, then, you will see his actual web site, check it out...

Ltvscout
01-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Do a search for Vern Estes home page, then, you will see his actual web site, check it out...
His web address is www.vernestes.com.

Leo
01-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Ouch. I don't think I'd ever looked at Vern's page before. He needs a web designer, badly.

Agreed. But it is an improvement to what he had before the update.

Nonetheless, he deserves a more professional presentation.

Solomoriah
01-04-2008, 12:13 PM
I'd do it for free. I'm no artist, but I can make a clean, readable page. I'm a pretty good proofreader too (and his page needs that too).

Rocket Doctor
01-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Geesh.....Lets have some respect for Vern, without him, what direction would this hobby have gone???

lurker01
01-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Geesh.....Lets have some respect for Vern, without him, what direction would this hobby have gone???

We would have flown Carslile Industries rockets instead of Estes Industries; no really. Orville messes up with his patent infringement filing, one day late or some trivial technicality, and had his case thrown out. If it hadn't been for that, it would have been Carslile Industries, or at the very least, Estes Industries a subsidiary of Carslile.

Robert

Solomoriah
01-04-2008, 11:36 PM
Geesh.....Lets have some respect for Vern
Um... what part of me saying he needs a good web designer is disrespectful? Indeed, he deserves a good web designer, and pronto. If you and he are on friendly terms, you might extend my offer to him.

Rocket Doctor
01-05-2008, 08:28 AM
Um... what part of me saying he needs a good web designer is disrespectful? Indeed, he deserves a good web designer, and pronto. If you and he are on friendly terms, you might extend my offer to him.

Everyone has their right to their own opinions, but, in this case, I really don't think that it needed to be published on a forum, rather, a offer of help sent to Mr Estes would have been better.

dwmzmm
01-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Vern's website looks fine to me; I personally believe his site reflects his style.

Solomoriah
01-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Vern's website looks fine to me; I personally believe his site reflects his style.
I am a Firefox user; sometimes, badly engineered pages fall apart when viewed with non-M$ browsers. I just took a second look with IE, and the page doesn't look nearly as bad.

In Firefox (and I presume any other non-M$ browser) the red-lined white box around "Join the NAR" is HUGE, has no red border, and makes the entire page about 2 times the width of the screen. The other colored-border boxes below it are centered beneath the huge white box, and are not of uniform width.

The meta-tags indicate that the page was designed in Frontpage 4.0, which largely explains the issues with the page... Microsoft has a long-standing policy of making things that play poorly with others.

RD, I'm not sure why you think my public airing of my complaint was in any way bad, but I apologize if I have offended you.

Ltvscout
01-05-2008, 11:15 AM
I am a Firefox user; sometimes, badly engineered pages fall apart when viewed with non-M$ browsers. I just took a second look with IE, and the page doesn't look nearly as bad.

In Firefox (and I presume any other non-M$ browser) the red-lined white box around "Join the NAR" is HUGE, has no red border, and makes the entire page about 2 times the width of the screen. The other colored-border boxes below it are centered beneath the huge white box, and are not of uniform width.

The meta-tags indicate that the page was designed in Frontpage 4.0, which largely explains the issues with the page... Microsoft has a long-standing policy of making things that play poorly with others.

RD, I'm not sure why you think my public airing of my complaint was in any way bad, but I apologize if I have offended you.
Vern or the person doing his website is taking the easy way out like me, we're using FrontPage for making/maintaining our sites. ;)

I know, I know, there are the purists out there who demand that html be written by hand in a text editor. There are also those that swear by DreamWeaver. For me, FrontPage does the trick. I'm no programmer, nor do I have the patience to learn all that stuff. :D

Ask Craig McGraw about browser incompatibilities. :eek:

Rocket Doctor
01-05-2008, 11:30 AM

Why don't you contact Vern and offer your help? (In a diplomatic way)

Solomoriah
01-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Your site never looks bad, though. I think it has to do with the age of the copy Vern's designer is using.

I do mine entirely from scratch, with just my trusty text editor. I do have a templating tool I designed myself which I use to ensure a common look and feel throughout my site; I recently renovated (inspired by the old color catalogs) and I was able to change the look and feel with just a change to the template file.

Model rocketry websites tend to be kind of ugly anyway; probably has something to do with the average BAR not being a tech-head. I have offered assistance to several vendors, but so far none have accepted. As I said, I'm no artist; but I can make a neat, easy-to-navigate site, and I've even done sites for people where they can make content updates themselves without knowing HTML.

Solomoriah
01-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Why don't you contact Vern and offer your help? (In a diplomatic way)
I just did. Got an auto-reply regarding the message being forwarded.

I've offered many times to help people with their website designs, but evidently my help is not wanted, since nobody has ever taken me up on it. For me it's advertising (web design is part of my business, having sites I can show people is a big help).

Ltvscout
01-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Your site never looks bad, though. I think it has to do with the age of the copy Vern's designer is using.
It appears they're using a "built-in" template which is usually quite basic. The template I use I had purchased a long time ago.

Solomoriah
01-05-2008, 12:02 PM
It appears they're using a "built-in" template which is usually quite basic. The template I use I had purchased a long time ago.
Wow... purchased... what a concept... :D

(kidding, i know, not everyone does this for a living...)

CPMcGraw
01-05-2008, 12:25 PM

TEMPLATES!??

Gasp! :eek: :D

cas2047
01-05-2008, 12:54 PM
In my humble opinion, whether or not a site looks good is subjective. I like the look of Vern's site using IE. I also like the look of the YORF site. I visited Solomoriah's site and I like it also.

Hmmm I guess I'm fairly easy to please. ;)

I enjoy visiting sites with different formats. I like poking around, seeing new and different designs and layouts, etc..

It's true though that if you are using Firefox some sites don't render correctly in it. I do 99 percent of my browsing using IE and use Firefox only for certain sites that don't play well with IE.

Solomoriah
01-05-2008, 02:05 PM
I switched personally to Firefox because I like it better, and I'm not a fan of Microsoft. But I made my family switch when I discovered how much less spyware it lets in...

tbzep
01-05-2008, 02:39 PM
I switched personally to Firefox because I like it better, and I'm not a fan of Microsoft. But I made my family switch when I discovered how much less spyware it lets in...

Not only have I been using Firefox ever since it became available, I used regular Mozilla before that, and Netscape before that. I hate Vista and I've now started using Ubuntu Linux. It's set to dual boot with Vista in case there's something I can't get to work, but I'm guessing only the wife or kids will need it.

Firefox is considerably better than IE with spyware, but it still gets in on a Windows system. With Linux, I don't have to worry with spyware, virus scans, defragging, etc. :)

BTW, Mr. Estes' site used to load/look/fit much better. Somebody has recently gotten it all out of whack.

Mark II
01-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Scott, your site and its linked sites (BARCLONE, Arley's, etc.) all look identical in either browser (I use both). Which is to say, good. But you probably already knew that. ;)

Mark

P.S. Gotta love FireFox for the NASA Night Launch theme, though.

ga1ba2
01-05-2008, 06:06 PM
I'm not sure but it seems to me that this thread has been hiJacked. It started out as an Important Kit Announcement and turned into some web site junk. What about the new kit.

cas2047
01-05-2008, 06:21 PM
I'm not sure but it seems to me that this thread has been hiJacked. It started out as an Important Kit Announcement and turned into some web site junk. What about the new kit.

Hmmm Rocket Doctor did say on January 1 that he would have a big announcement in a day or two and it's now January 5.

However they say that good things come to those who wait. I guess we're just kicking things around a bit while we're waiting. :)

Solomoriah
01-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Indeed, it seems RD has a thing for priming the buzz-machine... but isn't it time for us to see the real scoop?

Rocket Doctor
01-05-2008, 09:20 PM
To everyone, we are wooking behind the scenes for a major announcement. When all parties involved give the green light, a very major announcement will be made.

I am up to my stethoscope with email pertaining to this announcement, which, will be on it's way. Sorry for the delay, but, when it is made, we want it perfect.

I do hope that we get back on track with this thread though.

There is a hint on the Vern Estes web page, referring to the Golden Eagle, that is how we got off track with this one.
Like it was mentioned, all good things take time, and believe me, this will be a major announcement.
Thanks for your patience.

Solomoriah
01-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Firefox is considerably better than IE with spyware, but it still gets in on a Windows system. With Linux, I don't have to worry with spyware, virus scans, defragging, etc. :).
I run Fedora Core 4 (I know, it's old) on my office machine, and Win 98 on the old beater in the house; my secretary and my shop manager both run XP but almost nothing else MS on their office computers. I'd switch them both to Linux, but I need at least one XP system in the shop, and my secretary runs Quickbooks so I'm stuck there.

But the cool thing was when my wife said to me that maybe we should get a new computer in the house and run Linux on it. I'm thinking Ubuntu (I like Fedora for servers but I think Ubuntu is better on a workstation).

Rocket Doctor
01-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Check out the Golden Scout announcement under Vendors.