PDA

View Full Version : Estes 1970 Video

scigs30
01-04-2008, 11:12 PM
I don't know what this, it is before my time but it shows Estes rockets from the early 70's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z5unfE82BI&NR=1

dwmzmm
01-04-2008, 11:57 PM
Yes, I've already exchanged several e-mails with the owner of that movie. Hope to encourage him to get back into the hobby (he's been out of it for a while, but may be
reconsidering.....). Why don't you all post your comments to help him along (you've
noticed I've done so several days ago)?

Rocketking
01-05-2008, 12:44 AM
The Safety Code appears to be totally ignored. No blast deflector, not 15 feet from pad...

While the 'archive' shots and music are nice, this IS NOT the way to show off model rocketry, IMHO.

Comments from others?

Ltvscout
01-05-2008, 09:15 AM
:D The Safety Code appears to be totally ignored. No blast deflector, not 15 feet from pad...

While the 'archive' shots and music are nice, this IS NOT the way to show off model rocketry, IMHO.

Comments from others?
I think it is pretty neat. You get to see a classic Astron Ranger and a number of old scratch built's. You also see him with a blue tube of motors, cutting an igniter from the length of three and inserting it in the engine. Lastly you see a classic Estes checkerboard chute.

As for the NAR code, I can tell you I never followed it as a kid either. While I never did a single wire launch like they did by just touching the other wire to the car battery, our launch controller was (I should say is because I still have it) homemade using a home light switch as the launch button. It did have one of those old pilot lights with the red lens in it as well for a continuity light. But, there was no momentary contact, it was either flipped on or off. ;) When launching rockets I always used my Centuri LIA-77 launch pad. But, I used to "launch" other things as well. Like taping motors to an old Eldon slot car chassis and setting it on a ramp. :D

Mark II
01-05-2008, 03:35 PM
I don't know what this, it is before my time but it shows Estes rockets from the early 70's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z5unfE82BI&NR=1
Ohhh, man!! I'm watching that film, and I'm right back there with them, like it was yesterday!

Yeah, I liked the "launch pad" he used too. Hey, who needs a blast deflector when you've got nice green grass (that has probably just been watered)? ;) :D - Just kidding, NAR, just kidding! (I always used a launch pad and observed proper stand-off distances myself back then - I was a real Safety Code freak. Still am, too, but I respect what he did.)

I like the scratch-build that pranged. And the footage of the Ranger was great! And back then, I would have climbed that tree, too. :D

Mark

Mark II
01-05-2008, 03:39 PM
With KKD1247's permission, of course, this would be a great film to show at the Reunion. :)

With the proper cautions and disclaimers, of course!

Mark

Mark II
01-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Why don't you all post your comments to help him along (you've
noticed I've done so several days ago)?
Just did! (but I had to register with YouTube first :rolleyes: ).

Mark II

P.S. And son of a gun! My screen name was already taken! :(

dwmzmm
01-05-2008, 11:13 PM
With KKD1247's permission, of course, this would be a great film to show at the Reunion. :)

With the proper cautions and disclaimers, of course!

Mark

I think KKD1247 (the owner of that video) lives in Florida (have to check my You Tube e-mail
to be sure). I am gently "twisting" his arm to join YORF/NAR/model rocketry. From his PM
to me, he seems very eager about the hobby.

Ltvscout
01-06-2008, 09:38 AM
I think KKD1247 (the owner of that video) lives in Florida (have to check my You Tube e-mail
to be sure). I am gently "twisting" his arm to join YORF/NAR/model rocketry. From his PM
to me, he seems very eager about the hobby.
Cool. Did he say if he still has any of his old rocketry goodies?

dwmzmm
01-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Cool. Did he say if he still has any of his old rocketry goodies?

I'll have to ask him (his name is Kerry); just got an e-mail from him today. He's flattered
that his vintage video is getting the attention it's getting in this forum (I also noticed it's
on TRF, too). I told him there's a good NAR Section/rocket club in the Orlando area he can
join if he's interested. Will keep you guys posted....

Mark II
01-06-2008, 08:52 PM
I'll have to ask him (his name is Kerry); just got an e-mail from him today. He's flattered
that his vintage video is getting the attention it's getting in this forum (I also noticed it's
on TRF, too). I told him there's a good NAR Section/rocket club in the Orlando area he can
join if he's interested. Will keep you guys posted....
Vintage videos go over well with us vintage rocketeers. :) We're always ready to welcome one of our own back into the fold...

Mark

hcmbanjo
01-17-2008, 10:18 PM
Hi Dave,
Where's a contact to the rocketry club in Orlando, Florida?

Thanks,
Chris

dwmzmm
01-17-2008, 10:21 PM
Hi Dave,
Where's a contact to the rocketry club in Orlando, Florida?

Thanks,
Chris

Hey, I was online when this came in!

Try:

http://www.spaceportrocketry.org/Links.htm

Scroll down to "local" organizations. Hope that helps.