PDA

View Full Version : Centuri Orion Paper Shroud

Mark II
01-11-2008, 03:10 AM
The Centuri section of JimZ's web site contains plans for the KC-8 Orion. The plans consist of individual scanned pages and pattern sheets, and each page is actually an individual TIFF image file. I right-click on the pattern for the paper shroud and download the page to disk. When I open the file in my TIFF viewer (Microsoft Office Document Imaging), the image is revealed to have a page size of 21.75" x 11.33". In rechecking the exploded diagram of the Orion, I am unable to find any part of the rocket that would use a paper shroud that is roughly 11" tall. Apparently this is actually a pattern for the nozzle shroud. Somehow either the image was scaled up by a certain factor when it was scanned, or else MS Office is upscaling it when it renders the image (yet all of the other pages render fine).

Has anyone else seen this anomaly? What should be the correct dimensions for the nozzle shroud on the Orion? Once I know what the shroud's size should be, I can then either calculate the percentage needed to downscale the image that I have to its correct size, or else I can plug the correct dimensions into a shroud generator program (I have a selection of them) and create another pattern. In any event, I will create a PDF of the correct pattern and post it here.

Mark

Carl@Semroc
01-11-2008, 03:55 AM
I have not checked it, but Jim usually scanned at 300 dpi. If you change the 72 dpi to 300 dpi, it looks like the size is more realistic.

Mark II
01-11-2008, 08:22 AM
I have not checked it, but Jim usually scanned at 300 dpi. If you change the 72 dpi to 300 dpi, it looks like the size is more realistic.
Wow, that's an easy fix! Now, instead of being 8-5/8" tall, the cone 2-1/16" tall. Thanks, Carl! :)

Assuming that this is indeed the proper size, here are the promised Acrobat documents.

Mark