PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Centuri Chute Package

Earl
01-13-2008, 02:56 PM
Anybody know the story behind these pre-assembled (?) Centuri chutes?

I got several of these in an eBay purchase several weeks ago, but I have to say I have never seen a 'pre-assembled' Centuri parachute before. I know pre-assembled chutes are pretty common in the industry these days, but this one (I got three: a 12" and two 16", along with some 'standard' 24" chutes) would have to be early 1970's vintage. Certainly, NO older than 1970-71 timeframe (note the ejection baffles advertised on the back of the package, which were first announced, I believe, in the 1971 Centuri catalog, which would have been released around late summer/early fall of 1970).

At the lower right of the back of the package is printed "Made in Hong Kong".

I just don't recall ever seeing 'pre-assembled' parachutes ever offered in the Centuri catalog. Were these 'retail only' offerings by Centuri? Anyone have a guess?

Also, the logo on this particular one (the only one like it of the three) is different than any other Centuri chute I have. Most Centuri chutes had the 'Mercury capsule orbiting the Earth' graphic or the older Centuri logo which showed a rocket 'streaking' past in the forground with a latitude/longitude globe in the background. The logo on this particular chute is like the graphic on the T-shirt iron-ons they used to include in your Centuri Aerospace Team Member kit.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had ever seen these pre-assembled chutes before or not. Please share if you have any background on these.

BTW, the shroud lines in these appear to be the older red shroud line material.

Earl

SEL
01-13-2008, 07:14 PM
Yeah, you beat me on those chutes - nice catch :D . I know they're shown in the '69 catalogue ( http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/nostalgia/69cenp62.html ), not sure if they were offered in any later ones. I have at least one of the chutes with the stars in the center, but don't know anything about them. Mojo may know more - mine were in a batch I bought from him on Ebay.

S.

Anybody know the story behind these pre-assembled (?) Centuri chutes?

I got several of these in an eBay purchase several weeks ago, but I have to say I have never seen a 'pre-assembled' Centuri parachute before. I know pre-assembled chutes are pretty common in the industry these days, but this one (I got three: a 12" and two 16", along with some 'standard' 24" chutes) would have to be early 1970's vintage. Certainly, NO older than 1970-71 timeframe (note the ejection baffles advertised on the back of the package, which were first announced, I believe, in the 1971 Centuri catalog, which would have been released around late summer/early fall of 1970).

At the lower right of the back of the package is printed "Made in Hong Kong".

I just don't recall ever seeing 'pre-assembled' parachutes ever offered in the Centuri catalog. Were these 'retail only' offerings by Centuri? Anyone have a guess?

Also, the logo on this particular one (the only one like it of the three) is different than any other Centuri chute I have. Most Centuri chutes had the 'Mercury capsule orbiting the Earth' graphic or the older Centuri logo which showed a rocket 'streaking' past in the forground with a latitude/longitude globe in the background. The logo on this particular chute is like the graphic on the T-shirt iron-ons they used to include in your Centuri Aerospace Team Member kit.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had ever seen these pre-assembled chutes before or not. Please share if you have any background on these.

BTW, the shroud lines in these appear to be the older red shroud line material.

Earl

Rocket Doctor
01-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Never seen pre-assembled Centuri chutes before, but, Estes did have pre-assembled chute around the same time period, they were 8" in idameter, i still have a couple of them floating around.

Earl
01-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Yeah, you beat me on those chutes - nice catch :D . I know they're shown in the '69 catalogue ( http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/nostalgia/69cenp62.html ), not sure if they were offered in any later ones. I have at least one of the chutes with the stars in the center, but don't know anything about them. Mojo may know more - mine were in a batch I bought from him on Ebay.

S.

I have that '69 catalog, but do not see any 'pre-assembled' chutes listed there. As I mentioned, these are COMPLETELY ASSEMBLED, ready-to-use parachutes (see the top front package photo). That was my point: I've never seen a parachute like this from Centuri. I know pre-assembled chutes are much more common now days, but these have to be from the early 70s. I have looked through all the Centuri catalogs I have ('67 through their last one in '83) and I don't see these listed anywhere.

As can be seen in the back package photo, it is indicated they were made in Hong Kong. Maybe this is something they 'test marketed' for a short time or were offered in 'retail only' settings. Not sure.

But, I was just wondering if anyone might have known when/how these were specifically offered and where. Minor thing, all-in-all, but was just curious.

Earl

SEL
01-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Oops.... my bad. Didn't have my glasses on when I sent you that link :o . I found them in a catalogue somewhere while the auction was still running - I just have to find it again.

S

I have that '69 catalog, but do not see any 'pre-assembled' chutes listed there. As I mentioned, these are COMPLETELY ASSEMBLED, ready-to-use parachutes (see the top front package photo). That was my point: I've never seen a parachute like this from Centuri. I know pre-assembled chutes are much more common now days, but these have to be from the early 70s. I have looked through all the Centuri catalogs I have ('67 through their last one in '83) and I don't see these listed anywhere.

As can be seen in the back package photo, it is indicated they were made in Hong Kong. Maybe this is something they 'test marketed' for a short time or were offered in 'retail only' settings. Not sure.

But, I was just wondering if anyone might have known when/how these were specifically offered and where. Minor thing, all-in-all, but was just curious.

Earl