PDA

View Full Version : Is This An Old NCR Kit?

sandman
01-22-2008, 08:41 AM
Like the title asks...is it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-RC-Rocket-Glider_W0QQitemZ230213307691QQihZ013QQcategoryZ2567QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rocketflyer
01-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Like the title asks...is it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-RC-Rocket-Glider_W0QQitemZ230213307691QQihZ013QQcategoryZ2567QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Don't know but....

$35.00 for shipping????? This guy is nuts, money hungry, or both.

AstronMike
01-22-2008, 08:57 AM
That may well be an old NCR Avatar glider, although from the looks of those photos I'm wondering if the elevons arent missing at the rear.

stefanj
01-22-2008, 11:26 AM
It's unbuilt, so the elevons may still be in the box.

I actually sold one of these at auction about six years ago. The shipping was considerable, because the required box was HUGE. $35 may be a little high, but not outrageously high!

barone
01-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Yep, that's a NCR Avatar. The box is huge. I hope they have more parts than what they are showing in the picture.

sandman
01-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Yep, that's a NCR Avatar. The box is huge. I hope they have more parts than what they are showing in the picture.

Thanks, I thought it was but couldn't think of the model's name.

Rocket Doctor
01-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Don't know but....

$35.00 for shipping????? This guy is nuts, money hungry, or both.

Maybe he is going to fly it the successful bidder?????

Rocketflyer
01-22-2008, 02:36 PM
The shipping was considerable, because the required box was HUGE. $35 may be a little high, but not outrageously high!

I can accept that. However, I shipped an old Hobby Labs SR-71 with pad, controller ,etc, for much less. If he is including insurance, I could go with it. :)

tbzep
01-22-2008, 03:09 PM
As they said, yep...it's an NCR kit. I've got one tucked away. :)

ManofSteele
01-23-2008, 07:15 PM
Yes, that's part of the foam for an NCR Avatar kit. NCR didn't own the molds for the glider, we just bought the parts, and this looks like a set of the foam parts. They also molded foam elevons, but they were too flimsy for boost, so the NCR kit substituted balsa instead.

This is one kit that will not come back under the "Just Rockets" ownership, as I have no idea where the owner of the mold is, or if the mold even still exists.

$35 for shipping is not too bad, as it has to go in a huge box, and gets charged the oversize rate. That was one of the problems with the kit - would've been easier to sell with plug in wings.

They did fly nice, but you had to be an experienced RC flyer for best results.

Matt

rcspecialties
01-27-2008, 06:18 PM
I am the one selling his avatar. Yeah the shipping is steep, but I actually took the glider to the shipping store to get a quote. I now have it on the for sale section of this forum. I want it to go to a good home..LOL. I don't have time to build it, and it just sits there. Someone who has the time and experience in the rocketry and radio controlled hobbies would have a blast with this.

Ltvscout
01-27-2008, 06:22 PM
I am the one selling his avatar. Yeah the shipping is steep, but I actually took the glider to the shipping store to get a quote. I now have it on the for sale section of this forum. I want it to go to a good home..LOL. I don't have time to build it, and it just sits there. Someone who has the time and experience in the rocketry and radio controlled hobbies would have a blast with this.
Send all the pics you have (take pics of any parts, instructions, decals may have as well) and email them to me at scotth at execpc dot com. I'll size them for you and attach them to your for sale post. Easier for people to pay up for something when they can see it. ;)

barone
01-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Yeah, but are all the parts there? The only thing in the picture is the styrofoam glider.

lurker01
01-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Yeah, but are all the parts there? The only thing in the picture is the styrofoam glider.

Barone,

The insides are missing. The winner will have to get templates of the elevons and inner assembly.

Robert

tbzep
01-28-2008, 03:15 PM
I have the complete unassembled Avatar kit, but I never bothered with buying the booster rocket that was sold seperately. The styrofoam is hanging in my garage and the parts bag is buried in a drawer somewhere, as are the instructions. I bought it on clearance before the days of internet commerce. I can't remember if it came directly from NCR or if it was from Countdown, Commonwealth, or some other vendor that mailed out sales fliers. If someone is interested in the glider listed in the for sale section and wants to know what all is needed to complete it, I can try to dig up the stuff and give you an idea. IIRC, everything is pretty much standard R/C hardware so it should be easy to get into flying shape.

barone
01-28-2008, 04:31 PM
I have the complete unassembled Avatar kit, but I never bothered with buying the booster rocket that was sold seperately. The styrofoam is hanging in my garage and the parts bag is buried in a drawer somewhere, as are the instructions. I bought it on clearance before the days of internet commerce. I can't remember if it came directly from NCR or if it was from Countdown, Commonwealth, or some other vendor that mailed out sales fliers. If someone is interested in the glider listed in the for sale section and wants to know what all is needed to complete it, I can try to dig up the stuff and give you an idea. IIRC, everything is pretty much standard R/C hardware so it should be easy to get into flying shape.
The price is kinda high just for the styrofoam. The entire kit, with all the parts sold for less than the asking price for just the foam. Of course, everything else can be cloned. ;)

Ltvscout
01-28-2008, 04:36 PM
The price is kinda high just for the styrofoam. The entire kit, with all the parts sold for less than the asking price for just the foam. Of course, everything else can be cloned. ;)
She does have those magic letters though after the price, OBO. ;)