PDA

View Full Version : Golden Scouts Now Available

Rocket Doctor
03-01-2008, 06:34 PM
The Golden Scout kits from Semroc are now availabe and will be shipped within 24 hours. These are limited edition,50th anniversary kits.

Once their gone, theeir gone, so, order your Golden scout and don't miss out.

During the month of July 2008, we ask that you laucnh your Golden Scout in celebration of Vern and Gleda Estes .

Please post photos of your completed Golden scout.

We would also like to see not only individual rocketeers participate, but, NAR sections , clubs and organizations as well.

Let's make this a memorable event for Vern and Gleda.
Thanks again!!
RD

Chas Russell
03-01-2008, 07:47 PM
As an early, often, and many, many, orders type supporter of SEMROCS I am very disappointed by the changes to the original plans for the Golden Scout. I have AT least two kits of every SEMROC kit with only a couple of exceptions. I can appreciate the needs to modify plans, but why so late?
It was 80 degrees here in Fort Worth/Dallas. The last couple of DARS launches have been canceled due to fire bans. As "spring" arrives down here, it isn't going to get much better.
I was excited by the launch at NARAM-50. I know they have issues about use of the field. But this new program is not as exciting. Anyone have data on the NAR's 50,000 flights for 50 years?
Perhaps I am jaded, as I met the Estes at NARAM-11. Vern and I served on the NAR Board of Trustees together. Vern and Gleda surprised me at NARAM-44 and we were at the the same banquet table at last year's NARAM. I will be at NARCON in a couple of weeks where they are the special guests.

I guess I will have to find away to salute Gleda and Vern Estes at NARCON and NARAM.

They are very fine folks.

Chas

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-01-2008, 09:10 PM
As an early, often, and many, many, orders type supporter of SEMROCS I am very disappointed by the changes to the original plans for the Golden Scout. I have AT least two kits of every SEMROC kit with only a couple of exceptions. I can appreciate the needs to modify plans, but why so late?
It was 80 degrees here in Fort Worth/Dallas. The last couple of DARS launches have been canceled due to fire bans. As "spring" arrives down here, it isn't going to get much better.
I was excited by the launch at NARAM-50. I know they have issues about use of the field. But this new program is not as exciting. Anyone have data on the NAR's 50,000 flights for 50 years?
Perhaps I am jaded, as I met the Estes at NARAM-11. Vern and I served on the NAR Board of Trustees together. Vern and Gleda surprised me at NARAM-44 and we were at the the same banquet table at last year's NARAM. I will be at NARCON in a couple of weeks where they are the special guests.

I guess I will have to find away to salute Gleda and Vern Estes at NARCON and NARAM.

They are very fine folks.

Chas

I'm with Chas on this one. It's starting to sound more and more like Estes corporate plans for the 50th. :confused:

Chas Russell
03-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Okay, I am "Chastiesed" on again. Carl called me and it was a desision by the NARAM -50 host sections not to have a mass launch. The Estes' are not happy, but I think that fighting regulations over five decades have been a learning experience.

So I will purchase a couple of Golden Scout kits and try to fly them. North Texas is a pain with burn bans, when my family in Central Ohio is still in snow. Its a Vern thing! Its a Gleda Ting. Its a Sheryl thing. Carl?

I am now in the mode to make it happen. Isn't the internet grand!/?

Chas

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Okay, I am "Chastiesed" on again. Carl called me and it was a desision by the NARAM -50 host sections not to have a mass launch. The Estes' are not happy, but I think that fighting regulations over five decades have been a learning experience.

So I will purchase a couple of Golden Scout kits and try to fly them. North Texas is a pain with burn bans, when my family in Central Ohio is still in snow. Its a Vern thing! Its a Gleda Ting. Its a Sheryl thing. Carl?

I am now in the mode to make it happen. Isn't the internet grand!/?

Chas

I never figured this to be a Semroc problem. I think it's great how they're celebrating ESTES 50th. I hope I'm around when Semroc turns 50 to see what Estes has planned for that. :rolleyes:
Decide not to have a mass launch. :mad: That's the end of my NARAM plans, shaky as they were.

Carl@Semroc
03-01-2008, 09:41 PM
I never figured this to be a Semroc problem. I think it's great how they're celebrating ESTES 50th. Thanks, Bill! I hope I'm around when Semroc turns 50 to see what Estes has planned for that. :rolleyes: Hey, I want to see that too! (You do mean Vern and Gleda Estes, right?)Decide not to have a mass launch. :mad: That's the end of my NARAM plans, shaky as they were.You don't want to miss NARAM! We still have something else planned just for attendees!

Rocket Doctor
03-01-2008, 10:11 PM
I never figured this to be a Semroc problem. I think it's great how they're celebrating ESTES 50th. I hope I'm around when Semroc turns 50 to see what Estes has planned for that. :rolleyes:
Decide not to have a mass launch. :mad: That's the end of my NARAM plans, shaky as they were.

The whole purpose of the Sky Of Gold/Golden Scout event is to honor Vern and Gleda. This was in no way connected to Estes-Cox, there might have been some confusion. It was Vern and gleda who designed and developed the Scout, Gleda hand rolled the tubes.

Like Carl mentioned, we are planning something special for attendees of NARAM 50.

We worked on this right up until the announcement today. Like I mentioned previously, it had to be tweeked, and we thank all of our fellow rocketeers for your support in this event.

WE encourage all rocketeers, NAR sections, clubs to participate in honoring Vern and Gleda.

Vern and Gleda are very excited with the Sky Of Gold event as we are. Carl,Sheryl,Bruce and the Rocket Doctor has worked veery hard to put this entire program together.

Yes, it had to be changed slightly, but, the current offering let's us all lparticipate. And, like mentioned previously, certificate of participation will be sent, signed by Vern and Gleda.

These Golden Scout kits are limited productions kits, historic and, once gone, that's it.
Once again, we all Thank You for being part of the Sky Of Gold event to honor Vern and Gleda for their 50 years.

cas2047
03-01-2008, 10:20 PM

2 cents start-

I understand and respect your point of view. I think it's actually better this way because so many more people will be able to participate in this great event.

I am probably going to attend NARAM this year (my first) for part of the time, and I was worried that the launch would be held either before I got there or after I left. Even if my Golden Scout was launched I might not have even seen it, or gotten it (the one I built) back.

Now I don't have to worry about it. I can enjoy whatever part of NARAM I can get to and still take part in this event by launching with my son on the 4th of July. We do it up pretty big around here on the 4th so this will be a great addition to the events. Plus we get to launch and retreive our rockets which means we get our own Golden Scouts back which can then be displayed with their own certificates.

2 cents end-

pantherjon
03-01-2008, 11:47 PM
2 cents start-

I understand and respect your point of view. I think it's actually better this way because so many more people will be able to participate in this great event.

I am probably going to attend NARAM this year (my first) for part of the time, and I was worried that the launch would be held either before I got there or after I left. Even if my Golden Scout was launched I might not have even seen it, or gotten it (the one I built) back.

Now I don't have to worry about it. I can enjoy whatever part of NARAM I can get to and still take part in this event by launching with my son on the 4th of July. We do it up pretty big around here on the 4th so this will be a great addition to the events. Plus we get to launch and retreive our rockets which means we get our own Golden Scouts back which can then be displayed with their own certificates.

2 cents end-
:lol: That's really about a quarters' worth! But I agree whole heartedly! :D July 12th looks like the day mine will take to the sky..I will put some feelers out on the clubs website and see if there are any takers to doing our little 'Sky of Gold' in Orangeburg!;) Will refer them to these 2 threads on YORF for more info...

Royatl
03-02-2008, 01:04 AM
I gotta tell ya, I'm actually glad there's no mass launch, and that the point is now sharing the original experience of thousands of kids back in the early 60's when they got that tube in the mail, built the Scout, and took it out in their back yards to fly their first model rocket.

Daniel Runyon
03-02-2008, 03:12 AM
I think it totally rocks as is. I place a LOT more value on the signed certificuit from Mr. Estes than even the idea of a mass launch that I wouldn't be able to attend!

Model rocketry has become a deeply significant catalyst for bonding between my son and I, and I am very, very grateful for that, even aside from the fact that I just really enjoy building/flying. I bow to Mr. Estes for that gift alone.

It will be really neat to spiritually connect with the sum total of all things model rocket while building/launching the Golden Scout. I will imagine all the builds that went on in childhood bedrooms in households all over, and the exitment as they went into their fields for the first time, carrying all that NEATO equipment with them... what a super cool hobby.

This whole thing was a mighty fine idea, RD... congrats and THANK YOU too! Maybe one day I'll have an RD signed Baby Bertha to go with the certificuit from Mr. Estes!

Rocket Doctor
03-02-2008, 04:37 AM
I think it totally rocks as is. I place a LOT more value on the signed certificuit from Mr. Estes than even the idea of a mass launch that I wouldn't be able to attend!

Model rocketry has become a deeply significant catalyst for bonding between my son and I, and I am very, very grateful for that, even aside from the fact that I just really enjoy building/flying. I bow to Mr. Estes for that gift alone.

It will be really neat to spiritually connect with the sum total of all things model rocket while building/launching the Golden Scout. I will imagine all the builds that went on in childhood bedrooms in households all over, and the exitment as they went into their fields for the first time, carrying all that NEATO equipment with them... what a super cool hobby.

This whole thing was a mighty fine idea, RD... congrats and THANK YOU too! Maybe one day I'll have an RD signed Baby Bertha to go with the certificuit from Mr. Estes!

Let's not forget Semroc, Carl, Sheryl and bruce put alot of effort, time and sweat into this as well.

This is a dream come true for all of us.
Vern and Gleda are very happy about this Sky Of Gold event and are to be congatulated.

cas2047
03-02-2008, 07:00 AM
:lol: That's really about a quarters' worth!

Hmmm you're right... I've never been all that good with money. :o :rolleyes: ;)

Daniel Runyon
03-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Let's not forget Semroc

Indeed... Semroc is allowing us to experience what I imagine yall to have enjoyed back in the early days of Estes! Semroc is no doubt a true successor to the original spirit that Vern / Gleda created back then. It's a LOT of special fun to dig around in this big ol box of Semroc balsa and build... it's awesome to click on the plastic nose cones link at the Semroc site and find nothin!

Semroc inherited that orginal spirit already, but perhaps this Goldent Scout event makes it sybolically official.

STRMan
03-05-2008, 12:48 PM
I was first intrigued by the mass launch concept, but now, with the new "fly it on your own and report back" plan, I finally took the plunge. I ordered my "Golden Scout" from Semroc a couple of hours ago. I can't wait to be a part of this.

pantherjon
03-07-2008, 12:31 AM
I just recieved my Golden Scouts! This is sooo cool! :cool: I got flight #'s 100 and 103! :D

falingtrea
03-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Carl, You gonna bring some Golden Scouts to NARCON? I will definetely pick one or two up if you do. Thanks!

Rocket Doctor
03-07-2008, 09:08 AM
Carl, You gonna bring some Golden Scouts to NARCON? I will definetely pick one or two up if you do. Thanks!

Definatley, CArl will be bringing Golden Socuts to NARCON

Vanel
03-07-2008, 11:14 PM
I'm somewhat concerned about Estes "shot gun" ejection charges blowing my Scouts into bitty pieces. Anyone know how suitable a Quest A6-4 would be for this bird?

stefanj
03-07-2008, 11:19 PM
An A3 or 1/2A3 taped into a standard size casing would also do the job, possible with a less punishing ejection charge.

Carl@Semroc
03-08-2008, 12:52 AM
An A3 or 1/2A3 taped into a standard size casing would also do the job, possible with a less punishing ejection charge.That is exactly what we were going to do for the mass launch. We have special casings that we bought that have a slightly oversize ID to fit the "T" engines. LOTS of them!

The testing we have done with modern engines has been positive. The three holes do vent the pressure sufficiently. Of course, I have not tried any of those Kentucky bird shot loads that Bill uses. :D

barone
03-08-2008, 07:16 AM
I was working on my Golden Scout last night and noticed that the shipping box makes a nice little storage box for the model as you're building it and will make a very nice transportation box to get it to the flying field undamaged. I've got a bag of that polyester pillow fill stuffing stuff that I plan on lining the box with. You know, I bet Carl thought about that when he packaged them and planned for us to original send them back for flying at NARAM ;)

Rocket Doctor
03-08-2008, 07:26 AM
I was working on my Golden Scout last night and noticed that the shipping box makes a nice little storage box for the model as you're building it and will make a very nice transportation box to get it to the flying field undamaged. I've got a bag of that polyester pillow fill stuffing stuff that I plan on lining the box with. You know, I bet Carl thought about that when he packaged them and planned for us to original send them back for flying at NARAM ;)

You are correct, the plan was for built Scouts to be sent back so that they could be flown at NARAM and sent back to their owners.

Both unbuilt and built Scouts could fit nicely in the shipping box, it also can serve to hold your Scout and prevent any potential damage in transportation .

Also, the certificate was going to be put into the shipping box, but now, the certificate of particpation will be larger and suitable for framing.

jflis
03-08-2008, 08:46 AM
We had our launch (Boys & Girls Club) yesterday (see pix in the photo thread). We flew on 1/2A6-2 motors. We had two whose ejection charge was so weak that it blew all out the 3 vent holes and the motor didn't move back. The snow prevented damage. I was quite surprised...

Ltvscout
03-08-2008, 10:17 AM
That is exactly what we were going to do for the mass launch. We have special casings that we bought that have a slightly oversize ID to fit the "T" engines. LOTS of them!
Carl,

You may have already done this, but if not, put 'em up for sale on the website. I'm sure you can dump some of them that way.

Carl@Semroc
03-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Carl,

You may have already done this, but if not, put 'em up for sale on the website. I'm sure you can dump some of them that way.I have not done that because they are "engine grade" and not the cheaper spiral kraft. The price would be much more and we don't want to sell casings that could be used for "roll your own engines" because of liability.

Hopefully, we will be able to "burn" them off inventory. If anyone wants a few, denote it on your next order.

Ltvscout
03-08-2008, 10:29 AM
I have not done that because they are "engine grade" and not the cheaper spiral kraft. The price would be much more and we don't want to sell casings that could be used for "roll your own engines" because of liability.

Hopefully, we will be able to "burn" them off inventory. If anyone wants a few, denote it on your next order.
Ah, understood. ;) Thanks for the clarification.

STRMan
03-10-2008, 04:47 PM
I received mine today. It is # 337. I showed it to my daughter, and she thought it was so cool, I'm ordering another so we can build them side by side. I already have two launcher controllers and pads, so we will fill a little piece of the sky over Daytona Beach, FL with gold this July.

Rocket Doctor
03-10-2008, 05:10 PM
I received mine today. It is # 337. I showed it to my daughter, and she thought it was so cool, I'm ordering another so we can build them side by side. I already have two launcher controllers and pads, so we will fill a little piece of the sky over Daytona Beach, FL with gold this July.

Please post your photos under the Golden Scout photo gallery of your launch.
Thanks
RD

STRMan
03-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Please post your photos under the Golden Scout photo gallery of your launch.
Thanks
RD

Will do! I may also post a few pictures of the build on that thread. I'm glad you got this thing going, Doc!

Rocket Doctor
03-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Will do! I may also post a few pictures of the build on that thread. I'm glad you got this thing going, Doc!

Thank You.....
Will be looking forward to your photos, Thank you for your participation.

CPMcGraw
03-10-2008, 09:29 PM
OK, I finally placed my order for a GS on Friday, and received the package this morning. Thanks Sheryl and Carl! I now have Flight Number 348. This one gets moved to the head of the line for construction.

I also like the 'new' pamphlet format for the instructions. What does everyone else think about the one-sheet format, as opposed to the 'booklet' format for other kits?

ga1ba2
03-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Am I correct in assuming the Golden Scouts will be available after July 1 as part of Semroc's product line just not with flight numbers? :confused:

Carl@Semroc
03-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Am I correct in assuming the Golden Scouts will be available after July 1 as part of Semroc's product line just not with flight numbers? :confused:We will make sure we have enough with flight numbers to last through NARAM-50. After then, we will decide whether to keep it as a kit without flight numbers.

CPMcGraw
03-10-2008, 11:24 PM
We will make sure we have enough with flight numbers to last through NARAM-50. After then, we will decide whether to keep it as a kit withough flight numbers.

Perhaps just as a clone of the original Scout, with the original paint scheme and a simple "Semroc" decal?

Carl@Semroc
03-10-2008, 11:29 PM
Perhaps just as a clone of the original Scout, with the original paint scheme and a simple "Semroc" decal?Possibly. The main concern is the flight feedback. I had forgotten how much fun it was 45 years ago.

foose4string
03-11-2008, 11:08 AM
I also like the 'new' pamphlet format for the instructions. What does everyone else think about the one-sheet format, as opposed to the 'booklet' format for other kits?

I like it. I like the feel of the paper better. I like the use of color. I like how you don't have to wrestle with keeping a booklet open, i.e. creasing or weighting it open to the step you're working on...the pamplet lays open where you need it, effortlessly. I like the logical flow of the booklet a little better, but the positive aspects of the pamphlet far outweigh the negative.

Mark II
03-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Got mine yesterday - Flight #417. :D :D :D

Mark

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-15-2008, 08:44 PM
Mine came today. #505. (I was hoping for #666. ;) )

Mark II
03-15-2008, 08:59 PM
That Flight# is probably still up for grabs, though, so there's still time... :D

Mark

Rocket Doctor
03-15-2008, 09:17 PM

Buy the next 161 and you will have your number.......

Don't forget to register your Golden Scouts, you need not have to fly them yet, fill in the info, and when your flight is complete, update the information.

www.semroc.com/skyofgold

Mark II
03-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Don't forget to register your Golden Scouts, you need not have to fly them yet, fill in the info, and when your flight is complete, update the information.

www.semroc.com/skyofgold (http://www.semroc.com/skyofgold)
Done. :)

Mark

dwmzmm
03-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Mine arrived yesterday; Flight # 0378 :) .

Rocket Doctor
03-16-2008, 06:16 PM

Dave

Don't fprget to register you Golden Scout, you need not have flown your GS yet, go to
www.semroc.com/skyofgold

RD

dwmzmm
03-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Dave

Don't fprget to register you Golden Scout, you need not have flown your GS yet, go to
www.semroc.com/skyofgold

RD

Done (did so right after making my previous post). Forgot to add a comment, but will do
that shortly.

Pyro Pro
03-16-2008, 06:30 PM
So, should we hold off on putting up a "Flown" status until the official July start? I flew my (still primer gray) Scout yesterday at our monthly Bayboro launch on an A8-3. It flew great, and actually tumbled down :).

Rocket Doctor
03-16-2008, 07:54 PM
So, should we hold off on putting up a "Flown" status until the official July start? I flew my (still primer gray) Scout yesterday at our monthly Bayboro launch on an A8-3. It flew great, and actually tumbled down :).

I will have to check with Carl, he will be back from NARCON by Tuesday .Then, I will post what he says.

dwmzmm
03-16-2008, 10:16 PM

I'm adding a quick pic I just took of my order received yesterday from SEMROC (our family
was out of town until this evening for Spring Break vacation):

From left to right: Little Joe - II, Golden Scout, Rawhide and Javelin

dshmel
03-18-2008, 04:26 PM
#100 - VERY Cool !!!

I just recieved my Golden Scouts! This is sooo cool! :cool: I got flight #'s 100 and 103! :D

Daniel Runyon
03-21-2008, 10:33 PM
I have managed to find the nexus in the Semroc shipping wormhole! Usually an order gets from there to here in 2 days. I ordered my Golden Scout on the 2nd. A little over a week after shipping, I sent them a message letting them know that it hadn't gotten here and wondered if they could track it, but Carl went ahead and sent me another. It got here a couple of days later as I would normally experience with a Semroc order. Now, mind you... Carl did indeed send the first one out on the 3rd... it is stamped as such right here on the mailing label... but it got here 19 days later, after already having BUILT the second one!

My guess is that it went to the nexus of The Prophets within the wormhole (you did watch Deep Space Nine, didn't you?) to be tested and taught the ways of The Emissary...

Ltvscout
03-21-2008, 10:40 PM
I have managed to find the nexus in the Semroc shipping wormhole! Usually an order gets from there to here in 2 days. I ordered my Golden Scout on the 2nd. A little over a week after shipping, I sent them a message letting them know that it hadn't gotten here and wondered if they could track it, but Carl went ahead and sent me another. It got here a couple of days later as I would normally experience with a Semroc order. Now, mind you... Carl did indeed send the first one out on the 3rd... it is stamped as such right here on the mailing label... but it got here 19 days later, after already having BUILT the second one!

My guess is that it went to the nexus of The Prophets within the wormhole (you did watch Deep Space Nine, didn't you?) to be tested and taught the ways of The Emissary...
Heh, that's the good ol' postal service for ya. I actually had the same experience with the Golden Scouts. I placed one of the first orders after Carl announced them. Someone else in my club ordered some a few days later. We both live in the same city. He got his days before mine. The postal date was correct on mine, I just think our PO at my zipcode was dragging their heels.

Mark II
03-22-2008, 01:03 AM

Just a little piece of advice: when you place your next order, make sure that you do not choose the "Via Relativistic Express Mail" delivery option, because you know what happens when objects get shipped at velocities approaching the speed of light. :rolleyes: Yeah, sure, the Ordering and Shipping FAQ says that your order will arrive, in their words, "almost instantaneously," but what they don't say is that time frame is from the package's point of view. Meanwhile you, the recipient, moving at a significantly subluminary speed, will experience a time frame that is not quite so compressed. :eek:

Mark :D :D

Carl@Semroc
03-22-2008, 01:14 AM
Mark and Daniel, you must have headaches with all that THINKING!

Yeah, subluminary, compression, nexus, wormholes, all that. :D

Mark II
03-22-2008, 01:30 AM
Mark and Daniel, you must have headaches with all that THINKING!

Yeah, subluminary, compression, nexus, wormholes, all that. :D
Personally, I usually choose the "Ship via Planet Express" option for all of my orders. :D

But, Carl, you are right. Enough talk about stretching the fabric of space/time; I've got a Golden Scout to build!

Mark

Rocket Doctor
03-22-2008, 05:47 AM

I sent a large envelope to South Carolina last year, actually two at the same time, going to the same address, the first one got there in six days, the other took 17 days.

The guess the motto of the USPS is "Charge More, Get Less" and the postal rates are going up on May 12th, a penny, cent 1/100th of a dollar, anyway you look at it, we their customers get beat, then have pleanty of money, they don't need more. They are also purshing the "Forever" stamps.

You may not think that the increase is minor, but, if your running a business, those cents add up.

barone
03-22-2008, 06:55 AM
Well, with the price of gas going up so much in the past year, I'm surprised the postal rate is only going up by a penny.

Royatl
03-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Ha ha!

Nice touch on using Small Caps, emulating the Estes' old typewriter, for the instructions! It's the first thing I noticed on opening the kit(s). #600 will fly at NSL '08!

Rocket Doctor
03-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Ha ha!

Nice touch on using Small Caps, emulating the Estes' old typewriter, for the instructions! It's the first thing I noticed on opening the kit(s). #600 will fly at NSL '08!

Roy

Don't forget to register your Golden Scout, www.semroc.com/skyofgold

You need not have flown it yet, but, register and add additional info later

RD

JRThro
03-30-2008, 11:11 AM
I just ordered two Golden Scouts (and a SPEV!) from Semroc yesterday.

cas2047
03-30-2008, 12:11 PM
RD any idea of how many Golden Scout kits have sold so far? Is there a target number of "kits sold" that you/Semroc have in mind?

The highest registration number logged at the time of this post was 601.

Carl@Semroc
03-30-2008, 01:43 PM
RD any idea of how many Golden Scout kits have sold so far? Is there a target number of "kits sold" that you/Semroc have in mind?

The highest registration number logged at the time of this post was 601.That is probably one of the last ones shipped.

The number of parts made was for 2000 kits. Beyond that and we have to make more parts.

foose4string
03-30-2008, 01:51 PM

The highest registration number logged at the time of this post was 601.

I thought I remembered 1,500 being the magic number.

I know #666 has been accounted for. ;) :D

foose4string
03-30-2008, 01:54 PM
That is probably one of the last ones shipped.

The number of parts made was for 2000 kits. Beyond that and we have to make more parts.

Ah, it was 2000 then. Looks like these little boogers are moving at a fast clip. I just finished painting and decaling #98 today. Will post pics in the photo section shortly.

Carl@Semroc
03-30-2008, 02:12 PM
I thought I remembered 1,500 being the magic number.

I know #666 has been accounted for. ;) :D
1,500 was the goal for the mass launch to far exceed the world record. We were going to "fill out" whatever was required to meet that number. I did not think we would sell that many Scouts with our limited distribution.

cas2047
03-30-2008, 04:45 PM

Wow! That's a lot of kits! It must have been a huge effort to get all of them prepared in such a short time.

Rocket Doctor
03-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Just a foot note on the Golden Scout event. The original goal was to set a world record by launching 1500 Goldlen Scouts at one time.

Carl made up enough parts for 2000, we have a special project in the works, but, only 1500 Golden scout will have serial numbers,

Carl, Sheryl and Bruce have been working very, very hard to get this going. We had many discussions and emails regarding this celebration.

But, only those with serical numbers will qualify for the certificate of participation though.

As far as any other questions as far as Golden Scouts not flown etc, we are working on details for that as well.

I should als mention, there will be a cut off date as far as registering your Golden Scout to receive the certificate(s).

The word is out, so, if you wnat more Golden Scouts with serial numbers, I would encourage
you to order additional kits. Once the 1500 are gone, as far as those with serial numbers, that it.

If there is interest in additional Scouts without serical numbers, that will be determined later.

dwmzmm
03-30-2008, 09:26 PM
I may want to order a couple more Golden Scouts, too (even though I just got one several
weeks ago)...... :D

dwmzmm
03-31-2008, 05:43 PM
I just ordered two Golden Scouts (and a SPEV!) from Semroc yesterday.

John, as soon as you receive your Golden Scout order, register the Flight #'s on SEMROC's
website....

barone
04-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Has anyone noticed the map on the Golden Scout registry site? We sure are missing alot of states. Mississippi......Arkansas......to name just two...... ;)

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/SOG-states.asp

Rocket Doctor
04-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Has anyone noticed the map on the Golden Scout registry site? We sure are missing alot of states. Mississippi......Arkansas......to name just two...... ;)

If my count is correct, there are 19 missing states, including Alaska and Hawaii. If you check the list of NAR sections, not every state has a section.

We woild like to FILL the MAP, and make this a GOLD celebration nationwide. We also encourage our International partners as well to help us celebrate.

If you know of fellow rocketeers in the states without GOLD, we would appreciate you contacting them.

There are still plenty of Golden Scouts kits available, so, if you want to add to your fleet, get your orders in .

www.semroc.com

wwwlsemroc.com/skyofgold (register your Golden Scout) (click on "state" to see the map)

We are into April now, and rapidly will be getting closer to July. For many of us, the weather and temperature haven't been the best to finish off our Scouts.

Please continue to post your photos of your Golden Scout builds and finished Scouts.

Leo
04-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Where is the world map?

Rocket Doctor
04-02-2008, 01:10 PM
Where is the world map?

Leo

Carl said that he would be working on a World map
We appreciate our International partners in the Sky Of Gold celebration.

Thank you for your participation in the celebration, and, please post photos of your builds .

RD

DaveR
04-02-2008, 01:51 PM

Alright already, Don. I've ordered my Golden Scout. Your PM's had no effect so you just had to go public didn't you? Man you're persistent. :D

Geeesh, and I thought I was too old to succumb to peer pressure. :rolleyes:

On the plus side, it looks like I may the sole "golden boy" (that'd be a first) of Mississippi. :cool:

Now, let's see if the feller from AR will pony up.

Rocket Doctor
04-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Just a reminder, please register your Golden Scouts, you need not have flown them yet, but, you can register now and update the information later.

Also, the month of July is the official launch month, you can launch yours now, but, we would also ask that you also launch during the month of July.

Let's fill in the map.

www.semroc.com/skyofgold

barone
04-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Alright already, Don. I've ordered my Golden Scout. Your PM's had no effect so you just had to go public didn't you? Man you're persistent. :D

Geeesh, and I thought I was too old to succumb to peer pressure. :rolleyes:

On the plus side, it looks like I may the sole "golden boy" (that'd be a first) of Mississippi. :cool:

Now, let's see if the feller from AR will pony up.
ROTFLMAO! :D

JRThro
04-02-2008, 04:36 PM
I just received, and registered, #635 and #636.

They were ordered on Saturday afternoon and sent by first class mail. Again, outstanding service from Semroc!

dwmzmm
04-02-2008, 05:20 PM
I just received, and registered, #635 and #636.

They were ordered on Saturday afternoon and sent by first class mail. Again, outstanding service from Semroc!

Great!! Wouldn't hurt to get started on one of them; doesn't take that long to put them
together (I did mine in less than 2 hours, not counting the sanding/sealing and paint).
If you plan to fly them, I'd suggest you do it down at our new launch site in Needville;
no worry about the Golden Scout tumbling down onto any hard asphalt parking lots.....

barone
04-04-2008, 07:24 AM
I was just looking at the registered Scout page. I can more or less figure where 1 and 2 are. But, where is golden #50?

Rocket Doctor
04-04-2008, 08:45 AM
I was just looking at the registered Scout page. I can more or less figure where 1 and 2 are. But, where is golden #50?

Carl could best answer that.

Carl@Semroc
04-04-2008, 09:52 AM
I was just looking at the registered Scout page. I can more or less figure where 1 and 2 are. But, where is golden #50?The early numbers were set aside for media, promotion, family members, early Estes employees, drawings, and for several people that volunteered to help with the Sky of Gold event and its promotion.

I am not sure where all the low numbers are. Some were released "in the wild" randomly. I watch the list each day to find out where they all wound up! They are not always in order since each box gets shuffled a little during order filling. Recently some lower numbers from an old unclaimed order were shipped out that were probably in the 200 range.

DANLK66
04-04-2008, 04:37 PM
I just went to our local Hobby store and they had #s 0047,0048,0049, and 0050. I picked up #50 because I like round numbers. Now I just need to register it. :D

JRThro
04-04-2008, 04:38 PM
I just went to our local Hobby store and they had #s 0047,0048,0049, and 0050. I picked up #50 because I like round numbers. Now I just need to register it. :D
That's especially cool because it's the 50th anniversary.

DANLK66
04-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Sometimes a person just gets lucky. I may have to go back and get the other three but then again it would be nice for some others to get the oppertunity. I am just glad to have the one I have and it is registered and will be started tonight. Things like this only add to my appreciation of Semroc and all of their great rockets.

Rocket Doctor
04-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Sometimes a person just gets lucky. I may have to go back and get the other three but then again it would be nice for some others to get the oppertunity. I am just glad to have the one I have and it is registered and will be started tonight. Things like this only add to my appreciation of Semroc and all of their great rockets.

There are plenaty of Golden Scouts to go around.

barone
04-04-2008, 05:36 PM
I'm just surprised any went to hobby shops. That #50 should be held in esteem. #50 Golden Scout celebrating the Golden Anniversary of model rocketry!

Rocket Doctor
04-04-2008, 06:46 PM
I'm just surprised any went to hobby shops. That #50 should be held in esteem. #50 Golden Scout celebrating the Golden Anniversary of model rocketry!

Me too???

DANLK66
04-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Wow I did'nt even think of that. It is even more special than I thought!

Cool :cool:

barone
04-04-2008, 06:54 PM

Not quite as special as number 1 but I'd say pretty darn close. Congratualtions on a great find......and in a hobby shop no less!

Rocket Doctor
04-04-2008, 06:58 PM

Post a photo of your find......Thanks

DANLK66
04-04-2008, 07:08 PM
I will when I get my camera back. Can't wait for the Woosh launch in July now.

barone
04-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Great! I just noticed that Arkansas has been added to the map. I think that leaves Mississippi as the ONLY southern state not on the map...... :rolleyes:

DaveR
04-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Great! I just noticed that Arkansas has been added to the map. I think that leaves Mississippi as the ONLY southern state not on the map...... :rolleyes:
You're killing me. :) It arrived today.

Flight #0731 registered.

Rocketflyer
04-10-2008, 01:46 PM

Yep. I'd hold onto that one, and get it signed by Vern and Gleda, if you are going to NARAM 50 :) Get the others and fly them. Outside of #1, you may have a collectors item , especially if signed.

Rocket Doctor
04-10-2008, 03:17 PM

Check my thread of missing states, my last count was 16 yet. Update, the number is 15.

barone
04-11-2008, 12:55 PM
You're killing me. :) It arrived today.

Flight #0731 registered.
Oh, I feel so much better knowing that you're going to be included in this significant and historic undertaking. Is it going to be ready to fly on Saturday? :D

DaveR
04-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Oh, I feel so much better knowing that you're going to be included in this significant and historic undertaking. Is it going to be ready to fly on Saturday? :D
Let's see...., um...... NO.
However, if I forget to take it of the car again tonight, the kit will be there tomorrow. :o

barone
04-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Let's see...., um...... NO.
However, if I forget to take it of the car again tonight, the kit will be there tomorrow. :o
Well, I guess there isn't any hurry. July is only two and a half months away. But, if you build like me, it'll be August when you get started (now, where is that 1350 Interceptor I started a couple of months ago?:o)