PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Cineroc images - 1972

Rocket Doctor
03-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Shortly, there will be Vintage Cineroc still iumages posted. Taken from actual 8 mm Cineroc film going back to 1972.

Leo
03-07-2008, 01:47 PM
http://www.leo.nutz.de/images/forums/Rocket_Doctor/Cineroc1.jpg
http://www.leo.nutz.de/images/forums/Rocket_Doctor/Cineroc2.jpg
http://www.leo.nutz.de/images/forums/Rocket_Doctor/Cineroc3.jpg
http://www.leo.nutz.de/images/forums/Rocket_Doctor/Cineroc4.jpg

Rocket Doctor
03-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Leo

Thank you for posting these images for me

RD
photo #1 Omega/Cinceroc taking off, vintage 1972

photo#2 Booster and upper stage seperation

photo #3 Booster falling away from upper stage, note the flame coming out of the top of
the booster, raw "D" power at it's best

photo#4 The booster continues to fall towardss the groud, to the right, as the upper stage
continues to apogee. (upper stage on left see fin outline in white)

I have converted the 6 rolls of 8 mm fil over to a VHS tape, the images are amazing,

These images were taken off of a TV in the pause made.
vintage 1972 rocketry

mojo1986
03-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Looks like your photos represent two different flights, #1 a single stage, #2-#4 a two-stager?? Interesting that the two stage flight seems to have staged at about 30 feet up!

Joe

Rocket Doctor
03-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Looks like your photos represent two different flights, #1 a single stage, #2-#4 a two-stager?? Interesting that the two stage flight seems to have staged at about 30 feet up!

Joe

No, they are from the same two stage flight. I never have flown the Cinceroc/Omega in single stage. Look at the ground, the same car in all of the photos. I did a frame by frame view while snapping still pictures off of the TV.

mojo1986
03-08-2008, 07:06 AM
RD..............the reason I thought there were two separate flights is that in your first photo I can only see one set of fins.

Joe

Rocket Doctor
03-08-2008, 07:32 AM
RD..............the reason I thought there were two separate flights is that in your first photo I can only see one set of fins.

Joe

Joe

The still photos don't do it justice. I wanted to have some still shots to show the force of the seperation and the flames that come from the booster and upper stage during seperation.

On the VHS tape, you can see the Omega/Cineroc sitting on the pad and follow it up through flight, seperation, watch the booster glide down to the ground and the upper stage continue to burn, at apogee, you can see a massive burst of power as the ejection charge goes off and the parachute is deployed, it ia an awesome sight. And, by going fram by frame it give you a wholde new porsepective on the staged flight.

Everytime that I flew the Cineroc, it was a staged flight, I don't remember any flight that wasn't.

My club took part in a TV commercial for the Hobby Industry Of America inwhich segments from the Cineroc launches have been included in the footage. On the opening scene, they used the parachute image and put the title "Model In Motion" overtop of it, quite impressive.

Looking at the images again, I think that the first image is out of sequence, now that you mention that it looks like a single stage flight.

If you look at the size of the cars on the ground, the first photo looks like the booster stage had seperated and, this is a image of the powered flight to apogee, that is why you don't see the booster stage fins.

You are correct, you don't see the booster, so, this is the upper stage after seperation and should be the last image and not the first.

RD

dwmzmm
03-08-2008, 09:40 AM
I still have several of my 8 mm footages stored somewhere, staring my first Cineroc/Omega
in the 1970's. The first was at the Tex Regional in Houston, TX in 1971 or 1972 (I think) that
was a wild, two stage flight (severe weathercocking; ripped chute & the Cineroc got partially
busted when it smashed into the ground). Otherwise, good footage during boost, staging,
view of the JSC field where the NHRC club now flies from, and then the ripped chute after
ejection.

The next is from a flight near NSU in Natchitoches, LA in the late 1970's. Again two stage,
nice liftoff and staging (this time the Omega's first stage is clearly visible, with a nice ball
of flame from the coupler's end), with excellent sustainer flight and recovery. When recovered, I noticed there was enough of the 8 mm film in the flight pak to put up a single
stage Omega flight, which I did right away (and got excellent footage of that quickie, too).

A few more flight attempts were made after that, but no footages were obtained due to
film feed problems during flight. Then, in the early 1980's, I lost my original Cineroc (and
Omega second stage) when a staging failure occurred. Estes replaced the Cineroc and sent
me new D12's, but strangely did not replace the Omega kit! Because of that, I switched to
more complex designs for my Cineroc.

My really best Cineroc footage (and most recent) can be found here:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=27348&postcount=6

The message in that post is self explanatory. Maybe I can ask Daniel Franklin if he can
convert my earlier 8 mm footages to mpeg file. I'll see what I can do.

Enjoy!