PDA

View Full Version : Fun fin placement calculation

Engineer Kelly
03-17-2008, 09:13 PM
This is a fun way to use the Law of Sines..Or Cosines to calculated the linear distance between fins. There are much easier ways of doing this..Like using a fin placement drawing. But i didnt realize there was one sitting on page 38 of "The Book" until i dug through my trig notes.

Anyway. It requires precise diameter measurements of the body tube you will be placing the fins on to be accurate.

2. Obtain a precise OD measurement of the body tube.
3. Decide how many fins you want to place on the body.
4. For first example lets choose 3 fins.
5. Divide 360 by 3 to give the center angle.
6. The fun begins! Draw a picture of your body diameter.
7. Create a triangle inside the circle with the center angle being 120 degrees and the other two angles being 30 and 30 of course.
8. That makes the hypotenuse (the longest side) equal to the distance between two fins.
9. Now to calculate that distance. The two short sides are both equal to each other and both are equal to the radius.
10. Using Law of Sines. Lets call the missing side a. Re-arrange equation to solve for a. Sub in 120 degrees for A, 30 degrees for B and 2 for b.
11. Solving for a gives us 3.464 (units of your choice) (The distance between the fins)
12. Then you can stretch a digital caliper across the body (to 3.464) and mark it where the fins are going to be located.

Refer to the picture below for visual explanation. The equation at the top is law of sines excluding sinC/c.

A=120
B=30
a=unknown
b=2

To get the second form of the equation multiply both sides by "a" then divide by SinB/b or multiply by its reciprocal.

The side opposite the angle being used is the lower case variable.

If using four fins the center angle will be 90 degrees making it a lot easier and you can just use the pythag. theorem or use the right triangle definitions of Sin Cos and Tan.

What other ways are there?

I typed this up really fast. Ill make an updated version if anyone is interested in it.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/9852/0317082056mu5.jpg

mikeyd
03-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Interesting, you obviously do not have enough in your build pile! :D

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-17-2008, 09:33 PM
I always thought the law of signs was STOP, YIELD, NO FARTING IN THE HOT TUB, stuff like that.

Engineer Kelly
03-17-2008, 09:33 PM
Haha. I really dont. I really have only built a few small models. Im just really interested in the math portion of it all. Fun stuff!

moonzero2
03-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Im just really interested in the math portion of it all. Fun stuff!
You are truely an Engineer!

barone
03-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Here's a non engineer's version-

Wrap a piece of paper around the body tube and mark it where it overlaps.
Divide that width of marked paper into 3 or 4 sections. DONE. :)
ROTFLMAO! :D

tbzep
03-18-2008, 11:54 AM
Here's a non engineer's version-

Wrap a piece of paper around the body tube and mark it where it overlaps.
Divide that width of marked paper into 3 or 4 sections. DONE. :)

That means I have to measure and divide, which I do often. Yeech!

However, an even easier way is to save old fin marking guides from Estes kits. ;) You'll still have to do math on the Centuri/Semroc sized tubes.

DaveR
03-18-2008, 12:01 PM
There's always this:

http://www.rocketreviews.com/freeware_rocket_suite.zip

Makes fin marking guides, centering rings, shrouds and elliptical (sp?) fins. I use it a lot.

JRThro
03-18-2008, 12:22 PM
That means I have to measure and divide, which I do often. Yeech!

However, an even easier way is to save old fin marking guides from Estes kits. ;) You'll still have to do math on the Centuri/Semroc sized tubes.
Nah, just fold it into 3 or 4 sections by trial and error until all of the sections are the same size. Then mark the body tube where the folds are.

I've done this quite a few times, and it works well enough for my purposes.

James Pierson
03-18-2008, 01:41 PM
Print End View out in Rocksim...Done! :D

I have found it more accurate to mark both sides of the fin on the BT. Glue always seems to cover up or smear the line in part, so I have another side to refer to.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

K.M.Knox
03-18-2008, 02:38 PM
I love that little suite of rocketware programs. The shroud and centering ring templates are so simple...

I love the math method, makes you feel like you really accomplished something "magical" :)

moonzero2
03-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Aahhh,... now we know the difference between an Engineer and a Rocket Scientist.

metalhead100
03-25-2008, 04:06 PM
Diam of tube times pie(3.14blablabla)then divide by number of fins...convert remaining decimal to 16ths ect.

Jim

Engineer Kelly
03-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Thats just the circumference formula. You would still have to find a way to measure how far apart they are. Linear distance or non linear distance.

I see what youre saying though. That would split it into equal portions.