PDA

View Full Version : Big Daddy Rocks !! Orange AlphaIII Feeds trees

metalhead100
03-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Launch report for Estes Big Daddy....Dad and I....

Flown with homemade side discharge baffle mod (and poo paper wadding)and 24 inch fabric new old stock Estes parachute no spill hole,and 2 feet of sewing elastic shock cord.

Engine used : D-12-5 Estes (engine code 04 17 07 A)

Moderate wind....Cool....low 60ish temp. 12V gel cell battery Estes solar ignitors.

And my new camera tripod launcher......nice.

Big Daddy launches(2) were perfect.......smooth big arc at Apogee ,chute deployed very smoothly after a small nose down drop in altitude. Delay maybe could be a second shorter (or lighter rocket build), Just my opinion.

Its nice to be able to SEE this rocket at apogee as it smoothly arcs over.........then the nose down drop pucker factor........just a bit then the big red rag pops out and the decent under canopy was smooth and slow ....safe landing both flights....

My AlphaIII(orange and black arf) wasn't so lucky.,,...Like a dingbat i stuffed a c-6 into it....and it bobbled off the rod and arced over into a 70 degree flight far away from the launch site and into a tree...Its still there. Had it flown UP instead of out i would have been ok.

Ah well.......

I also flew my Nova payloader......Nice flight on a B....recovered ok with plastic melto-chute.

Baby Bertha flew twice and popped her new 14" fabric chute with spill hole just fine...Nice flights.

All in all a great time with Dad......and 1 tree ornament behind his house. Cant win em all.....Second AlphaIII in 20 years i have fed to the same acre spot......never found the first one.

Good thing im building a Balsa fin/cone version.

Jim

Rocket Doctor
03-26-2008, 07:18 PM
Next time with you Alpha try a streamer, especially if your using a higher power motor.

metalhead100
03-26-2008, 07:24 PM
AlphaIII seemed unstable or weathercocked off the rod RD.

It had ocillations (spelling) in the first 100 feet or so and arced over bad and left launch site in a big way.

The wind off these hills i think was causing me problems.......I should have moved farther into the farm field,I was near the foot of a hill/base of a valley and next to another hill....

I know the air here gets funy when i fly my electric RC slow stick.

I should have knew better.

Jim