PDA

View Full Version : COX Saturn 5 4 Sale

shockwaveriderz
03-26-2008, 07:38 PM
You people are not going to believe the following story.

Today I was out and about with a friend, when as we were headed towards a BIG O Tires store so she could get her tires chnaged, I checked out the Happy's Hobbies store a block down the street.

I had been in this hobby shop a few times back around 1991-2 flying model rockets and they had a small Estes display.

Anyway, As I walked thru the front door, I immediately noticed a 3 Ft tall Saturn 5 sitting to my left as a Display Model for their slight model rocketry sales area.

I picked it up, immediately recognized that it was a 1970-71 COX Saturn 5, and looking at its end I noticed no residue.. it was clean! This model had never been launched! I also took off the top and noticed an 16-18" COX parachute, that looked as good as new!.

My Heart Racing, I remained calm and asked, 'Would you be interested in selling this"?

And a hobbyshop guy said, "Sure"; SO i then asked him how much? And he said, 'How about $8.00".....

Well, I obviously was trying best to not show any excitement while trying not to have a heartattack right then and there!

So I paid the $8.00 to the clerk, received my Receipt and she said, "Well I'm sorry I don't have a Bag big enough for it"; and I said, "thats right ok!" as I walked excitedly out of the store! Actually I was pretty cool and calm thruout!

So thats my story and I stickin' to it.

So, is anybody in the mood for a 70-71 Cox Saturn 5 as described? It is missing the two main 24" recovery chutes for the bottom section and the plastic motor clip. Remember, this model was designed to use (2) old COX D8-3 motors; but I'm sure that enterprising modelers that we have here can figure out how to alter it for 24 or 29 power with out too much trouble.

It has never been flown as far as I can tell. THere is some degree of UV radiation yellowing of the main white body tube . I had both a COX Little Joe 2 ( probably my all time favorite backyard flyer on an A8-3!) and a COX Saturn 1B back in the day......

Let me get this camera to working and I'll post some pics later.

I would prefer to sell it right here as I know most you guys, so somebody make me an offer I can't refuse?

EDIT Here are some pics from my only cellphone cam.... If interested I can do pics on request if you want to see a specific area.. If it doesn't sell here, I'll just place it on Ebay.....
I accept paypal

terry dean
barnar 16158

moonzero2
03-27-2008, 04:20 AM
Will you take $9.00 for it? :D

Skippy
03-27-2008, 06:45 AM
Double your money. I'll go $16.00 :p

lurker01
03-27-2008, 11:44 AM
You people are not going to believe the following story.

Today I was out and about with a friend, when as we were headed towards a BIG O Tires store so she could get her tires chnaged, I checked out the Happy's Hobbies store a block down the street.

I had been in this hobby shop a few times back around 1991-2 flying model rockets and they had a small Estes display.

Anyway, As I walked thru the front door, I immediately noticed a 3 Ft tall Saturn 5 sitting to my left as a Display Model for their slight model rocketry sales area.

I picked it up, immediately recognized that it was a 1970-71 COX Saturn 5, and looking at its end I noticed no residue.. it was clean! This model had never been launched! I also took off the top and noticed an 16-18" COX parachute, that looked as good as new!.

My Heart Racing, I remained calm and asked, 'Would you be interested in selling this"?

And a hobbyshop guy said, "Sure"; SO i then asked him how much? And he said, 'How about $8.00".....

Well, I obviously was trying best to not show any excitement while trying not to have a heartattack right then and there!

So I paid the $8.00 to the clerk, received my Receipt and she said, "Well I'm sorry I don't have a Bag big enough for it"; and I said, "thats right ok!" as I walked excitedly out of the store! Actually I was pretty cool and calm thruout!

So thats my story and I stickin' to it.

So, is anybody in the mood for a 70-71 Cox Saturn 5 as described? It is missing the two main 24" recovery chutes for the bottom section and the plastic motor clip. Remember, this model was designed to use (2) old COX D8-3 motors; but I'm sure that enterprising modelers that we have here can figure out how to alter it for 24 or 29 power with out too much trouble.

It has never been flown as far as I can tell. THere is some degree of UV radiation yellowing of the main white body tube . I had both a COX Little Joe 2 ( probably my all time favorite backyard flyer on an A8-3!) and a COX Saturn 1B back in the day......

Let me get this camera to working and I'll post some pics later.

I would prefer to sell it right here as I know most you guys, so somebody make me an offer I can't refuse?

EDIT Here are some pics from my only cellphone cam.... If interested I can do pics on request if you want to see a specific area.. If it doesn't sell here, I'll just place it on Ebay.....
I accept paypal

terry dean
barnar 16158

Terry,

Is this the 1st release or 2nd release of the original Sat V?

Robert

Rocket Doctor
03-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Double your money. I'll go $16.00 :p

Skippy, the postage would kill you!!! Maybe $15.99, and that will help you pay the shipping???

Initiator001
03-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Terry,

Robert

I suspect it is the second release from 1990-1991.

It is still rare. Cox made less than 1000 of them!

Bob

K.M.Knox
03-27-2008, 02:44 PM
I don't see a shock cord attached to the cat, does it just fall from the sky at ejection :confused:

I take it you just ain't interested in keeping it? For a cost of $8 it is hard not to try and make some money off it I suppose.

Skippy
03-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Skippy, the postage would kill you!!! Maybe $15.99, and that will help you pay the shipping???

Forget shipping, just point it south and let 'er rip!

Two or three flights should see it nearly here...

:D

shockwaveriderz
03-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Terry,

Robert

Robert, I didn't know there were any releases. It has 5080 stamped into the top section. Does that help with ID'ing this?

terry dean
nar 16158

metalhead100
03-27-2008, 06:11 PM
Does the cat get angry when installing the engine?...... :D

Jim

lurker01
03-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Robert, I didn't know there were any releases. It has 5080 stamped into the top section. Does that help with ID'ing this?

terry dean
nar 16158

Hi Terry,

The original Sat V by Cox was a plastic kit that the builder had to put together. The stages were in halves and chopped... glue the halves together, then glue the stages together, then paint the model. This was late 1969/early 1970 release. Then in the 1971 time frame, the model came out as a solid one piece pre-painted ready to fly model. Then was re-released later in the early 1990s.

Thank you Initiator for the 90's release numbers ... I had no idea they were so few!

Terry, I would hang onto that model if I were you!

Robert

P.s. Initiator, what were the numbers for the Sat 1B, Space Shuttle America, and Honest John? I know the molds for the Nike Zeus and Little Joe II were supposedly destroyed in the Estes fire?

shockwaveriderz
03-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Hi Terry,

The original Sat V by Cox was a plastic kit that the builder had to put together. The stages were in halves and chopped... glue the halves together, then glue the stages together, then paint the model. This was late 1969/early 1970 release. Then in the 1971 time frame, the model came out as a solid one piece pre-painted ready to fly model. Then was re-released later in the early 1990s.

Thank you Initiator for the 90's release numbers ... I had no idea they were so few!

Robert

P.s. Initiator, what were the numbers for the Sat 1B, Space Shuttle America, and Honest John? I know the molds for the Nike Zeus and Little Joe II were supposedly destroyed in the Estes fire?

so is the 2st release early 70's model or the 90-91 version? This looks like it came in one piece

terry dean
nar 16158

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-27-2008, 11:05 PM
Does the cat get angry when installing the engine?...... :D

Jim

Not as angry as he gets when the ejection charge fires. :eek:

Rocketflyer
04-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Not as angry as he gets when the ejection charge fires. :eek:

AWWW Gawd! Explosive flatulance! :eek: :p

Initiator001
04-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Hi Terry,

Robert

I bought a Cox Saturn V kit in the early 1970's and built it. Attached is a picture of the box for the kit.

I don't know the production numbers for the other Cox models. I was only told the production number for the Saturn V. Cox had quite a problem putting the Saturn V back into production. The original had been molded with ABS plastic but they couldn't get ABS to work with the mold in 1990 so they went with styrene plastic.

Cox made test shots of the Nike Zeus in 1988/89 but then Cox President/owner Bill Selzer decided not to release it (I ended up with the test shots :D ).

Estes never had the Little Joe II molds. The molds were lost/destroyed/worn out back in the 1970s.

I know that Estes made some Nike Zeus test shots back in the late 1990s but decided not to release the model. I do not know if these molds were lost in the fire.

I posted some interesting Cox stories over on The Rocketry Forum several years ago. :)

Bob

Rocket Doctor
04-02-2008, 01:22 PM
[QUOTE=Initiator001]I bought a Cox Saturn V kit in the early 1970's and built it. Attached is a picture of the box for the kit.

I don't know the production numbers for the other Cox models. I was only told the production number for the Saturn V. Cox had quite a problem putting the Saturn V back into production. The original had been molded with ABS plastic but they couldn't get ABS to work with the mold in 1990 so they went with styrene plastic.

Cox made test shots of the Nike Zeus in 1988/89 but then Cox President/owner Bill Selzer decided not to release it (I ended up with the test shots :D ).

Estes never had the Little Joe II molds. The molds were lost/destroyed/worn out back in the 1970s.

I know that Estes made some Nike Zeus test shots back in the late 1990s but decided not to release the model. I do not know if these molds were lost in the fire.

I posted some interesting Cox stories over on The Rocketry Forum several years ago. :)

Bob[/QUO
TE]

Bob
I discussed this issue with Barry several times on bringing back the Cox RTF line, I was told that the molds are not available.

The fire was caused by a neighbor who decided to clear some brush on his property and it got out of hand. The flames headed towards Estes, and their motor storage building was destroyed.

I also understand that any molds in Penrose were not kept in good condition, so, many of the molds for the classics are certainly not available.

Also, from what I understand, Cox got out of the rocketry business because of major problems with their motor producing machines. They had a big sale , and the line was history.

RD

KevinP
04-02-2008, 09:35 PM
So, my brother had a Saturn IV displayed for years (more like decades). One day, he tells me to take it home. I do and display it. Then he tells me to bring it with me the next time we launch. I honestly didn't expect to launch it, but he sure wanted to. Did Estes make a Saturn IV replica? His has Estes 'chutes, as pictured. I always assumed that it was one of theirs.

http://www.carpron.com/multisite/d/204981-1/saturnIV_recover.jpg

http://www.carpron.com/multisite/d/204983-1/bigrocket_littlepad.jpg

Thats me with all the hair. :)

Initiator001
04-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Also, from what I understand, Cox got out of the rocketry business because of major problems with their motor producing machines. They had a big sale , and the line was history.

RD

Cox exited the model rocket market after a deadly fire at their motor making facility which killed at least one employee.

The family of the employee who was killed sued Cox. It went to court and the verdict went against Cox. Interesting note: One of the jurors on the trial was Martin Bowitz, currently President of NAR Section 430, Southern California Rocket Association (SCRA). Martin will tell you the details if you ever meet him.

Bob

Doug Sams
04-03-2008, 12:29 PM
One of the jurors on the trial was Martin Bowitz, currently President of NAR Section 430, Southern California Rocket Association (SCRA). So that explains this URL (that Fred S sometimes posts): home.earthlink.net/~mebowitz/safety.pdf

I always wondered who mebowitz was :)

Doug

shockwaveriderz
05-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Folks:

1st $60 gets this fine model. The $60 includes shipping and handling.

terry dean

Gus
05-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Terry,

PM Sent.

Steve

shockwaveriderz
05-08-2008, 12:07 PM
steve:

You'll have to email me direct at shockwaveriderz@hotmail.com because I no longer accept PM's.

terry dean

shockwaveriderz
05-08-2008, 10:23 PM
sold

terry dean

jetlag
05-12-2008, 12:54 PM
I bought a Cox Saturn V kit in the early 1970's and built it. Attached is a picture of the box for the kit.

Bob
Thanks, Bob,
I never knew any of that stuff happened to COX. That's why I love this site: Something to learn almost every day!
Allen