PDA

View Full Version : Surprise in my DRM kit

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-28-2008, 05:40 PM
I was at my local hobby/toy store today for some silver paint and they had several Der Red Max kits hanging around. I couldn't resist buying one since my niece and nephew seem to have picked my extremely battered clone out as a favorite in my shop. Inside was a very cool DRM parachute. :cool: Anyone else seen one of these?

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s286/Wallyum/DerRedMax.jpg

Intruder
03-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Yep. It came with my kit, too; from back when they didn't even have white decals! :) It looks really cool, but 18" is too big in my opinion. Its coolness comes back to bite you in that way because if you cut a spill hole in it, it ruins the look. :mad:

I've only flown mine on A8-3s so far so that really doesn't make that much difference, and I used a swivle hook so I can exchange it for a 12" when I use bigger motors

Rocket Doctor
03-29-2008, 05:25 AM
Yep. It came with my kit, too; from back when they didn't even have white decals! :) It looks really cool, but 18" is too big in my opinion. Its coolness comes back to bite you in that way because if you cut a spill hole in it, it ruins the look. :mad:

I've only flown mine on A8-3s so far so that really doesn't make that much difference, and I used a swivle hook so I can exchange it for a 12" when I use bigger motors

I had suggested changing the parachute way back when it was discussed to bring the DRM back again. I said that Estes needed to distinguish the older kits from the rerelease. Mike Dorffler came up with this design.

foose4string
03-29-2008, 04:38 PM
The new DRM chute design is WAY cool, but as Intruder mentioned, it's too big. I used that new chute the first time I flew the re-issue last summer, and it drifted quite a distance. I use a smaller nylon chute now.

barone
03-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Yeah...too bad you can't just scan it in and reduce it and print it out like at 75% scale.....Wait a second.....don't they make software to print on t-shirts? :rolleyes:

sandman
03-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Yeah...too bad you can't just scan it in and reduce it and print it out like at 75% scale.....Wait a second.....don't they make software to print on t-shirts? :rolleyes:

Do you mean something like this?

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-29-2008, 10:54 PM
Do you mean something like this?

:cool: I think my son still has his somewhere. I'll have to ask him. That might be one that my nephew would like to grow into.