PDA

View Full Version : Fill-n-Finish

tbzep
03-28-2008, 07:23 PM
I promised in a thread somewhere that I'd post a pic of the new look and name of Fill-n-Finish. I can't remember where it was so I'm sticking here in a new thread. I dipped a little and put it on some scrap balsa while ago. It sanded easily. It has the look, smell, and texture of our old Fill-n-Finish. As one more bit of proof, it's made in Canada like my regular branded Fill-n-Finish.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/tbzep/Fill-n-Finish.jpg

ga1ba2
03-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Saw it yesterday at Lowes in Richmond VA, didn't know it was the same as F&F. Thanks

Royatl
03-28-2008, 10:38 PM
I promised in a thread somewhere that I'd post a pic of the new look and name of Fill-n-Finish. I can't remember where it was so I'm sticking here in a new thread. I dipped a little and put it on some scrap balsa while ago. It sanded easily. It has the look, smell, and texture of our old Fill-n-Finish. As one more bit of proof, it's made in Canada like my regular branded Fill-n-Finish.

If it doesn't say somewhere on the package, "Contains Microspheres," it is most definitely NOT Fill'n'Finish, but regular old Wood Filler. Almost all the same ingredients, in slightly different proportions. The key ingredient, though, for F'n'F, is the ceramic microspheres.

You should be looking for "Stainable Wood Filler."

Carpenter's Wood Filler Interior Exterior - E842-E849
Stainable Wood Filler - E887-E892 (previous stock # was E836)

LeeR
03-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Here is the same stuff in a tube. Although I'm not one to typically use it on body tube spirals (I just do multiple primings), this tube variety lends itself well to that. It is easy to apply thin lines of it, it sands really easily, and it seems to work well on flexible surfaces -- key for any body tube filler becuase thin tubes can be easily flexed. I've now primed over the tube filled with this, and it is perfectly smooth.

snaquin
03-28-2008, 11:35 PM
If it doesn't say somewhere on the package, "Contains Microspheres," it is most definitely NOT Fill'n'Finish, but regular old Wood Filler. Almost all the same ingredients, in slightly different proportions. The key ingredient, though, for F'n'F, is the ceramic microspheres.

You should be looking for "Stainable Wood Filler."

Carpenter's Wood Filler Interior Exterior - E842-E849
Stainable Wood Filler - E887-E892 (previous stock # was E836)

Roy,

The Home Depot, Lowe's and Wal-Mart in my area don't seem to handle Fill'n'Finish.

The local Ace Hardware here handles the tubs of Carpenter's Wood Filler E-842 and that's what I've been using.

http://tinyurl.com/2vlo3e

Is this the same as Fill'n'Finish?

The MSDS for what I have been using is here

http://tinyurl.com/35qtdj

Thanks!

Royatl
03-29-2008, 12:00 AM
Roy,

The Home Depot, Lowe's and Wal-Mart in my area don't seem to handle Fill'n'Finish.

The local Ace Hardware here handles the tubs of Carpenter's Wood Filler E-842 and that's what I've been using.

http://tinyurl.com/2vlo3e

Is this the same as Fill'n'Finish?

The MSDS for what I have been using is here

http://tinyurl.com/35qtdj

Thanks!

The 842 is almost the same thing, but again, it doesn't have the microspheres. The microspheres do three things. They make the finished product lighter, softer, and better able to accept stains.

Yes, you can use the regular filler, and you may not notice that it is slightly more difficult to sand when used as a "balsa filler" (I use it to make aesthetic fillets, and to fill gaps and nicks in nose cones or fins). I just get much better/easier results with the true Fill'n'Finish.

Also note that on the regular filler, it may say something like "Accepts screws and nails"... Fill'n'Finish definitely can't do that!

Rocket Doctor
03-29-2008, 05:20 AM
The 842 is almost the same thing, but again, it doesn't have the microspheres. The microspheres do three things. They make the finished product lighter, softer, and better able to accept stains.

Yes, you can use the regular filler, and you may not notice that it is slightly more difficult to sand when used as a "balsa filler" (I use it to make aesthetic fillets, and to fill gaps and nicks in nose cones or fins). I just get much better/easier results with the true Fill'n'Finish.

Also note that on the regular filler, it may say something like "Accepts screws and nails"... Fill'n'Finish definitely can't do that!

I picked up a tub of the carpenter's wood filler, in the new package. What I did was take two spoon fulls of the stuff, placed it into a small bowl and added water,I kept adding water until it had the consistance of paint. I used a flat brush and painted in on the balsa,let it dry and applied a second coat to be sure, sanind inbetween.

The end result, was a finish as smooth as glass, and, I had 27 rockets to finish. NOw, I'm waiting for the rain to stop and the temperature to go from 40 degrees to 70.

tbzep
03-29-2008, 09:18 AM
I'm not concerned with staining. I've yet to build a rocket with a wood-grain finish.
I'm not concerned with weight, as this is a grain filler, not a coating. Almost all will be sanded off.
All I'm concerned with is sandability. The small test sample sanded easily.

There is no E-xxx number on the tub anywhere. I seldom go to WalMart, but I'll look and see if there's one on the shelf tag if I can remember next time out.

jj94
03-29-2008, 09:24 AM

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/tbzep/Fill-n-Finish.jpg

I saw that stuff at Lowes a few weeks ago and didn't bother to buy it. It was pretty expensive so I bought light weight spackle instead. I should've went with the new stuff. The spackle was hard to apply and it gets nicks in it extremely easily.

rocketguy101
03-29-2008, 09:44 AM
This is the stuff I got a Loews about 9 months ago...the carton was definitely lighter than the other Elmers wood filler sitting on the shelf next to it. It sands almost as easily as light spackle, but is tougher as jj pointed out.

ScaleNut
03-29-2008, 09:53 AM
you can see the difference by checking the msds, F N F has the highest microsphere content