PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO: Free those sticky booster couplings

metalhead100
03-31-2008, 08:15 PM
Ok durring my Commanchee3 build a small amount of paint overspray got into the female ends of the male female coupler joints......making them sticky/tight.

Whats a guy to do?.....

Testors plastic backed sanding films(#8802) and kadee graphite powder dry lubricant........(model train product #231 called greas-em)

Step1 Cut thin film sandpaper (fine gray one in multi pack) into 1/4 inch strips the long way...and place over the end of booster tube coupler sand side up and fold it over onto the body tube where you can hold each "tail" with your fingers as you insert into female tube slowly while twisting to sand.

Step 2 use dry graphite powder and dust and rub into male coupler and knock off extra dust left over then twist and burnish into offending female/male joint.

A few tries and my boosters are now smooth and ready to fly.

Graphite lock lube from hardware or Boy scout pinewood derby supplies would also work.

Powdered teflon (pinewood derby supplys/hobby lobby) may also work but i did not try that yet. And it would be cleaner the graphite can be messy on your finish.

Hope this helps someone.......it made a big difference in the fit and smoothness of the joint for staging

Jim :eek: