PDA

View Full Version : Estes Saturn V

garmtn
04-13-2008, 10:19 PM
:confused: Launched a Saturn V today and totally forgot aux fins. Didn't get unstable until 200' high. Did eject 30" chute and landed, sustaining minor damage.
Would these fins really kept this rocket on track with an E30-4 motor? What do u recommend for motor nxt time? Thanks

dwmzmm
04-13-2008, 10:35 PM
I don't get it; you're saying it flew fine until it reached about 200 feet altitude? What were
the weather conditions? Sounds to me your Saturn - V must have flown pretty good despite
the lack of slipon fins. Do you have any pics of the launch activities?

Rocket Doctor
04-13-2008, 10:37 PM
:confused: Launched a Saturn V today and totally forgot aux fins. Didn't get unstable until 200' high. Did eject 30" chute and landed, sustaining minor damage.
Would these fins really kept this rocket on track with an E30-4 motor? What do u recommend for motor nxt time? Thanks

First of all, how did you forget the fins? Yes, the fins would have stabilized the rocket, the same way that a launch rod stablilizes a rocket during it's initial start.

What size motor did you use, I would guess a D12-5?

What type of motor mount do you have?

Royatl
04-14-2008, 12:58 AM

Assuming you launched it on a D12. If so, your peak altitude should've been below 200'!

Then again, if you launched it with an E15, and you got 200' and then it turned, it was probably neutrally stable and a wind gust hit it.

An E30 would've provided a fast stable flight, as it would've gotten to speed very fast.

You also didn't say which Saturn V you flew, though you mentioned aux fins. Sounds like an early Estes Saturn V which had the clear plastic slip-on fins.

The Centuri and later Estes Saturn V kits had larger than scale fins that wouldn't need auxillary fins, as long as the rocket was flown in calm air.

garmtn
04-14-2008, 06:26 AM
This was an early Estes Saturn V with the "clear add on" fins. Flew a E30-4 motor. Know better next time to stay out of high winds. Thanks :o

garmtn
04-14-2008, 06:30 AM
Very windy when I flew it. Hope some people in the group will email pictures, then I'll post. Also, engine mount wasn't seated properly. Managed to push out 1 30" shoot, then ripped out bottom, taking my display nozzles with it. (made a variation, so nozzles stay on rocket. Like the look better) :rolleyes: