PDA

View Full Version : Rokitflite Odyssey

Ltvscout
08-02-2005, 07:19 PM
I got my numbered (#19) and signed kit from Scott Branche on Monday the 1st. I ordered it the night of Friday, July 29th. That's what I call fast service! Scott is obviously following in the shoes of Carl and crew over at Semroc in offering speedy service.

Regarding the kit, in one word, AWESOME! Being that I'm a collector, I may be forced to buy a second one from Scott, one to build.

If anyone is interested in this kit, they can check it out over at TRF. Look in the Vendor forum for his ad.

A Fish Named Wallyum
08-02-2005, 07:41 PM
I built one of his kits as a beta tester. I plan to fly it NEKKID tomorrow at NARAM. (Assuming I don't get pulled over on the way there.) :D :eek:

Eagle3
08-02-2005, 09:08 PM
I got my numbered (#19) and signed kit from Scott Branche on Monday the 1st. I ordered it the night of Friday, July 29th. That's what I call fast service! Scott is obviously following in the shoes of Carl and crew over at Semroc in offering speedy service.

Regarding the kit, in one word, AWESOME! Being that I'm a collector, I may be forced to buy a second one from Scott, one to build.

If anyone is interested in this kit, they can check it out over at TRF. Look in the Vendor forum for his ad.

I bought two just because I knew I'd have to put one away. Both numbers are so low that I'm hard pressed to build either one.... but I will. :D

rokitflite
08-03-2005, 08:01 AM
I built one of his kits as a beta tester. I plan to fly it NEKKID tomorrow at NARAM. (Assuming I don't get pulled over on the way there.) :D :eek:

You might get pulled over if YOU are going to be the one thats "NEKKID" not the rocket (you did not specify). I am glad you guys like the kit, but I want people to build it! I want to kit a couple more designs and I wanna hear about the good and bad points of this one so I can improve on the next one. Maybe I have to design some system where once the shipping box is opened, a CO2 cartridge inflates and pops open the kit bag. POW! (parts everywhere) "I might as well build it now..." :D

Let me know how the flight goes Bill!!!

Ltvscout
08-03-2005, 08:12 AM
You might get pulled over if YOU are going to be the one thats "NEKKID" not the rocket (you did not specify). I am glad you guys like the kit, but I want people to build it! I want to kit a couple more designs and I wanna hear about the good and bad points of this one so I can improve on the next one. Maybe I have to design some system where once the shipping box is opened, a CO2 cartridge inflates and pops open the kit bag. POW! (parts everywhere) "I might as well build it now..." :D
Hehe. You could borrow the design that the CD3 uses in the HPR world.

Having Limited Edition (signed/numbered) kits will promote more sales. Collectors will want a Limited Edition kit for their colection, but will want to buy another to build. ;)

Eagle3
08-03-2005, 12:47 PM
I opened #7 last night *sniff*, and inventoried the parts and read the instructions. This kit is just too cool. I got to stay home today, so I'm hoping to get the fins and tubes filled so I can start assembly Friday night. Hey Scott, I really like the personal letter included in the instructions. I'm sure you nailed the feelings of 99% of us. :)

rokitflite
08-03-2005, 10:27 PM
Hehe. You could borrow the design that the CD3 uses in the HPR world.

Having Limited Edition (signed/numbered) kits will promote more sales. Collectors will want a Limited Edition kit for their colection, but will want to buy another to build. ;)

I guess it's not so much "more sales" that I want, rather enjoyment of the kit and the building process. Although, being an avid collector, I guess I can understand the enjoyment of collecting an unbuilt kit. :D

rokitflite
08-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Oh, I also like that my title on this forum is "Junior Rocketeer". It makes me feel like I am in the 70s again. :rolleyes:

Ltvscout
08-03-2005, 11:14 PM
Oh, I also like that my title on this forum is "Junior Rocketeer". It makes me feel like I am in the 70s again. :rolleyes:
Heh, you can change that in your profile setup if you want. That's just the default title for all new members.

Bob H
08-04-2005, 08:33 PM
I got my #27 today. There sure are a lot of parts in the bag. :D

This is going to be fun. I hope that my finishing skills can do it justice.

Oh well, nobody can see unfilled spirals 600 ft up anyways.

Eagle3
08-05-2005, 09:00 AM
I guess it's not so much "more sales" that I want, rather enjoyment of the kit and the building process. Although, being an avid collector, I guess I can understand the enjoyment of collecting an unbuilt kit. :D

It's my goal to have #7 ready to fly at the 9/11 JMRC launch. There will be plenty of photos and even some video.

A Fish Named Wallyum
08-24-2005, 09:05 PM
With the exception of some paint on the radar dish, my Odyssey is finished. (And the rocket is also built and painted! :D ) Mine had come with a set of decals that Scott decided were unacceptable, so I wound up with a second set. (There was a fine white line on some of the red decals. Very minor, but I agree with Scott. It would have been distracting.) Since I had most of the decals from two sheets to work with, my Odyssey became #55 instead of #5. Other than that I tried to keep things as they were meant to be.

Bob H
08-24-2005, 10:05 PM
Bill,

Very nice job! :)

Now that you have shown yours, I should show mine. :rolleyes:

The last three pictures (the really good ones) were taken by Jim Flis and the other ones by me.

A Fish Named Wallyum
08-24-2005, 10:07 PM
Bill,

Very nice job! :)

Now that you have shown yours, I should show mine. :rolleyes:

Last time I heard that I spent the night in jail. :eek: ;)

Bob H
08-24-2005, 10:11 PM
Last time I heard that I spent the night in jail. :eek: ;)

LOL, I knew that I would never get away with posting that remark. I thought it would take at least a couple minutes before someone jumped all over it. :D

A Fish Named Wallyum
08-25-2005, 03:57 AM
LOL, I knew that I would never get away with posting that remark. I thought it would take at least a couple minutes before someone jumped all over it. :D

It took four. I'm slipping. I came back just now to delete it, having thought better of it in the hours since 11:07.

JRThro
08-25-2005, 11:59 AM
In detailing your Odysseys, how do you know how much is "enough"?

A Fish Named Wallyum
08-25-2005, 01:57 PM
In detailing your Odysseys, how do you know how much is "enough"?

I just did a little at a time, then looked it over. I didn't do any of the antennas because I knew I'd never be able to keep from breaking them off. I also couldn't get the plastic sheet to work, so I nixed that. I just tried to keep it as even as possible from one side to the other.

JRThro
08-25-2005, 03:17 PM
I just did a little at a time, then looked it over. I didn't do any of the antennas because I knew I'd never be able to keep from breaking them off. I also couldn't get the plastic sheet to work, so I nixed that. I just tried to keep it as even as possible from one side to the other.
That plastic sheet seems awfully thick, so I may do without that for the most part. As for the antennas, you could glue the plastic tubes on and then stick the antenna rods inside them as Scott describes in the instructions. I have no idea if I'm going to do that or not. Probably just add some relatively short antennas, and some of the other detail pieces that came with the kit. We'll see.

In any case, my Odyssey will be flying this Saturday at my club's launch. Maybe with some details, maybe not. Definitely not primed or painted, though.

Bob H
08-25-2005, 07:58 PM
That plastic sheet seems awfully thick, so I may do without that for the most part. As for the antennas, you could glue the plastic tubes on and then stick the antenna rods inside them as Scott describes in the instructions. I have no idea if I'm going to do that or not. Probably just add some relatively short antennas, and some of the other detail pieces that came with the kit. We'll see.

In any case, my Odyssey will be flying this Saturday at my club's launch. Maybe with some details, maybe not. Definitely not primed or painted, though.

I had a few sheets of styrene that was half the thickness of the supplied sheet so I used that to make strip stock for details. I will use the sheet that came with the kit for something else.

Antennas?
Go for it!! I added antennas and so far haven't broken any after 3 flights.

Hiddenagnt
08-29-2005, 08:13 AM
Excuse the interruption, but how might one obtain an Odessey kit?

rokitflite
08-29-2005, 10:14 AM
Oh Please! It is no interruption at all! I DID make these kits to sell them :D .

Thanks for your interest!

Here is the info page from the Rocketry Forum:

Kit features include:

Precut Tubes
Laser Cut HARD 3/32” Balsa Fins
Kevlar And Elastic Shock Cord Set Up
Pre Cut Red 18” Plastic Parachute & Shroud Lines
CD PDF Instructions With TONS Of Photographs
Full Color Packaging (Hey, I’m A Collector, I Like That!)
4 Nose Cones
Plastic & Resin Cast Parts
Full Color Water-Slide Decal Sheet

Kit length: 36.5”
Fin span: 9.75”
Diameter: .980”/.736”
Approx finished weight: 3.5-3.8 oz without motor
Motor requirements: B4-2, B6-2 (first flight), C6-3
1970s-80s Skill Level: 3
Nowadays Skill Level: 4

Price: $40 without lighting kit
$43 with lighting kit

Shipping For 1 Kit Via USPS Priority Mail Anywhere In The US $6.25. Please add $3 for each additional kit.

Payment methods accepted:
Paypal to flitesite@aol.com (ships immediately), USPS Money Order (ships immediately), Personal Check (Must wait 10 days to clear), Estes Original Trident

Send payments to: Scott Branche, 7904 Ashford Blvd., Laurel, MD 20707

Shipping Begins Thursday July 28th!

Please email me at flitesite@aol.com with any inquiries.

For more information about this kit visit this thread:
http://www.rocketryforum.com/showth...20&pagenumber=1

Hiddenagnt
08-29-2005, 12:33 PM
Thanks! You'll be getting a payment from me shortly.

rokitflite
11-08-2005, 09:09 PM
Wow,
Its been a while since I've posted here! Well, the Odyssey sales have been going well. I think CMASS is responsible for most of the secondary sales to folks who saw the fantastically built models of Bob H and John Harland at club launches. Thanks guys!!! Eagle 3, did you get yours finished yet?

Anyway, the next kit is underway. It is not at all as time consuming as the Odyssey, but it would still rate as a level 3 nowadays. I will post more news as it gets closer to completion.

-Scott

JRThro
11-09-2005, 06:44 AM
Wow,
Its been a while since I've posted here! Well, the Odyssey sales have been going well. I think CMASS is responsible for most of the secondary sales to folks who saw the fantastically built models of Bob H and John Harland at club launches. Thanks guys!!! Eagle 3, did you get yours finished yet?

Anyway, the next kit is underway. It is not at all as time consuming as the Odyssey, but it would still rate as a level 3 nowadays. I will post more news as it gets closer to completion.

-Scott
If I may be so bold, I think I speak for all of us when I say I'm looking forward to seeing what's next, Scott.

Eagle3
11-11-2005, 11:42 AM
Wow,
... Eagle 3, did you get yours finished yet?

-Scott

It's about 30%. A lot of things came up after I started. I'm back home, things are calming down, and I see some free time coming up. :D The Odyssey is one of several bench projects I hope to finish in the next couple of months.

So, any hints or are you going to make us suffer and guess? *LOL*

dtomko
11-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Much as it pains my wallet to say it, I can't wait to see your next kit, Scott!
I am looking forward to finally flying my Odyssey this weekend if the wind stays down.
Drew

rokitflite
11-11-2005, 09:15 PM
Well,
I'll say this about it. It is a detailed remake of a discontinued kit. It will be a quicker build than the Odyssey. At least 10 resin cast parts will be included for detail and ease of construction. The decals will be coated with Micro Scale decal film for durability and easier application. And Drew, I have already set the price at $25 come hell or highwater so it will be less painful to the wallet than the Odyssey. I need to test fly the prototype, be sure of all my molds and have things at a no turning back point before I release pictures and such. If I don't think that I can surprise people with my creations I get bored with them and don't finish them. ;)

-Scott

dtomko
11-12-2005, 02:43 PM
Finally got the Odyssey in the air. I flew her on a B4-2 in a pretty good wind. Beautiful flight, but the parachute snagged and she cracked a fin on landing. It's a clean break at the root so repair will be easy. It is a beautiful sight in the air.

A Fish Named Wallyum
11-12-2005, 04:25 PM
Great pics! Do you have a close-up or has it already been posted? One piece of advice I might give you. Don't store it resting on the rear fins. I did and mine has stress cracks along the joint. You'd be better off storing it in the launch position.

dtomko
11-13-2005, 08:19 AM
A few close ups. The stills of the launch are from a movie I made with the digital camera. I would love to post it, but it is 1.5 KB and I don't know how that would work.
I store it upside down in the closet, BTW.

rokitflite
11-13-2005, 09:32 AM
Drew that is such a gorgeous model! I am sorry to hear about the rough landing, are there any parts that you need for its repair?

-Scott

dtomko
11-13-2005, 02:53 PM
Scott,
Thanks for the offer! Actually it's a very clean break and an easy repair; I just have to reglue one fin. It will be good as new.
I think I rushed a little and didn't stuff the parachute carefully enough. Another 10 feet and it would have been fine :rolleyes:
I'd love to post the AVI somewhere; anybody have any ideas?
Drew

Eagle3
12-30-2005, 09:10 PM
I just finished up the main construction of my Odyssey and I have to say it's been one of the most enjoyable kits I've built in a long time. What amazed me the most is how everything went together "just right". When I slid on the BT-80 "mechanism ring" I was half afraid that it would be too tight or there would be slop. Instead, it fit "just right". I would call the Odyssey a skill level 3~4 kit, but the instructions are so well written I think just about anyone could build one. There are so many four star features of this kit I don't know where to start. I already mentioned the instructions which came on a CDROM in pdf format. There are photos for every step and like I said above, it is one of the most well written plans I've ever seen. All of the parts are excellent quality. I'm working on a few other kits and I have parts dings for all of them. No dings on the Odyssey. All the of the extras are a welcome bonus. The plastic detail parts, styrene rods and plastic sheet for making your own details, and most of all the optional lighting kit. That thing is too cool! I didn't realize it alternated blue and red until I set it up. It reminds me of the shimmering nose cones on the Enterprise warp nacelles from the original Star Trek series.

I know I'm missing some other cool details, but I think everyone gets the idea. *LOL* I'm really impressed with the Odyssey and can't wait to see Scott's next kit. What ever it is, put me down for TWO!!!! :D

rokitflite
12-31-2005, 08:28 AM
Thank you for your kind words about the Odyssey :) The next kit will have a smaller parts count but still the same attention to detail. It is not a sci-fi kit but it definately has a "wicked" look to it. I am about a 3rd of the way through the written instructions and awaiting a huge tube order. With any luck the next Rokitflite kit is only a couple months away :rolleyes:

Eagle3
01-07-2006, 03:48 PM
Scott, thank you for producing such a cool kit! Here's a nekid shot without any details. I still haven't decided on a paint scheme.

Bob H
01-07-2006, 04:36 PM
Scott, thank you for producing such a cool kit! Here's a nekid shot without any details. I still haven't decided on a paint scheme.

Very nice! :)

It's even more impressive once the details get added. The hard part is knowing when to stop. :rolleyes: