PDA

View Full Version : Looking for classic rockets...

TXFergie
04-29-2008, 05:04 PM
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone here knew of anyone wishing to part with a couple of kits from the 80s? I am looking for the Marauder (EST 1922, not the Coldpowder one) and the Maverick (EST1904). These are the first two rockets that I built in high school over 20 years ago for ROTC qualification. I would love to have them again. I am always on the lookout on eBay and other sites for anything that may show up.

Please let me know!!

Thanks..Rick

dwmzmm
04-29-2008, 05:42 PM
You might be able to build excellent clones using parts from BMS and/or SEMROC and instructions from the JimZ/Ye Olde Rocket Plans websites. It'll probably be your least
expensive and easiest route to go.....

scigs30
04-29-2008, 07:03 PM
You can order the plastic nose cone from Estes. They still use it in their Tandem X kit.

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-29-2008, 07:32 PM
The Maverick should be easy. Just get an Estes Skywriter and a piece of BT-50. The nose cone is the same and the internals should be also. The decal even looks like a piece of cake. If you must have an original, keep an eye peeled on Ebay. That's how I got my Beta, Condor and Rogue. ;)
The Marauder might be a bit of a challenge, but check the nose cone chart and see what other kits might also use it. (This might be what Scigs was talking about with the Tandem X.)

Green Dragon
04-29-2008, 07:33 PM
Both those could be cloned easily, as noted.

I have a Maverick in my build que - plans and decals are posted, and the cosecone can be had from Estes, or in the Skywriter kit.
Not sure if decals are offered commercially, but I'd think yes ( I printed my own, had iffy luck with new(er) printers I have now, but would print a set if I get it working .

The Marauder plans are online as well, I think - I did have an original set of fins, not sure if I still have those around.
The transition section might be tough, but balsa versions are readily available if it's not a 'purist issue' .
Problem with the Marauder is the decals - I think they're posted , did nto go look, but hard to do 'at home' because of the silver.

I actually have a builtup marauder that we lost the payload section to, can rebuild a payload easily enough, but the silver roll pattern decal is not available (yet ) .

Good luck with the projects, and welcome to the asylum :-)

~ AL

Rocket Doctor
04-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone here knew of anyone wishing to part with a couple of kits from the 80s? I am looking for the Marauder (EST 1922, not the Coldpowder one) and the Maverick (EST1904). These are the first two rockets that I built in high school over 20 years ago for ROTC qualification. I would love to have them again. I am always on the lookout on eBay and other sites for anything that may show up.

Please let me know!!

Thanks..Rick

Are you intersted in buying 214 kits, worth overe $4000 for just $2000 plus shipping?

Go to ebay and put in 3130ken, the list is there.

Royatl
04-29-2008, 09:32 PM
Marauder will be easy as well. The LoadStar (or Warp II, take your pick!) payload section uses the same nose and transition. You can find current LoadStars on eBay (they've been available off and on for education purposes).

TXFergie
05-05-2008, 11:27 PM
Thanks to all for the replies. For the Maverick Kit, I actually have a Skywriter kit I picked up for $3.00 because it was missing parts (including the nose cone!!) so I will have to pick that up somewhere. The Marauder nose cose looks the same as the Loadstar which is available now on ebay for about $6.00.

One question - can someone post me a link to a good how-to article or thread on making/copying decals? I have seen the decals in the plans but how do I get them to proper scale and everything?

Thanks again!

Rocket Doctor
05-06-2008, 05:16 AM
For nose cones, you can contact Estes customer service www.estesrockets.com
For decals, you can contact Excelsior Rocketry www.excelsiorrocketry.com
You can also check out Semroc www.semroc.com

barone
05-06-2008, 07:25 AM
If the decals are listed here, they should print out at the right scale (print on paper before printing on decal sheets just to make sure). I just picked up a decal kit from Hobby Lobby and print them off on my HP printer......follow the instructions provided with the kit. Must printers won't print white. For those, I just order from Excelsior.

STRMan
05-06-2008, 08:18 AM
FWIW, my computer had Quickplayer on it. I could never get any decals or plans to print to size. I deleted Quickplayer, and now the default program in the computer prints everything right on the money.

TXFergie
05-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Thanks Don. I just picked up the decal system today from HL and you really don't need anything if the decal is in the plans. I just measured up the paper (clear paper) and added it as a custom size. I hit print and out came my Maverick decals! Exclesior has the Marauder decals and I will probably order from them since I don't think I can't print the silver parts.

One last question and I can call this thread closed - some of the kit plans in the plan shoppe show how long each BT is. How can I get the exact measurement if it is not listed? The Maverick plans don't show a length on them.

Thanks to all......

barone
05-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Thanks Don. I just picked up the decal system today from HL and you really don't need anything if the decal is in the plans. I just measured up the paper (clear paper) and added it as a custom size. I hit print and out came my Maverick decals! Exclesior has the Marauder decals and I will probably order from them since I don't think I can't print the silver parts.

One last question and I can call this thread closed - some of the kit plans in the plan shoppe show how long each BT is. How can I get the exact measurement if it is not listed? The Maverick plans don't show a length on them.

Thanks to all......
Your welcome. Yeh, HL works great for me.

And, YORF works great for you. Go to this site (happens to be one of ours here). It's a pretty comprehensive list of kits and the body tube lengths.

http://rocketshoppe.com/info/Estes_Body_Tube_List.pdf