PDA

View Full Version : EAC Viper fin patterns

STRMan
04-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Does anyone have the fin patterns for the EAC Viper? I find I'm longing to clone one. I can get all the parts from Semroc, the decals from Excelsior, and the plans from Jimz, but I don't have the fin patterns.

CPMcGraw
04-30-2008, 11:14 PM
Does anyone have the fin patterns for the EAC Viper? I find I'm longing to clone one. I can get all the parts from Semroc, the decals from Excelsior, and the plans from Jimz, but I don't have the fin patterns.

If you print the instruction sheet page with the patterns on it, est0820b.tif, the patterns should come out full size. I just ran a copy through my laser printer, and it looks OK. Notice that on this page, the builder is told to "trace fins as shown", meaning the balsa sheet in the kit was neither die cut nor die printed. The builder was essentially "building from scratch" with this kit.

Addendum: Here's a template for creating self-stick label "skins", should you want to go that route in finishing the model. Copy the pattern again and "flip" the image either top-to-bottom, or left-to-right (create a mirror image) to get the opposite "skins". This method really saves some finishing time, and reinforces the balsa in the process. Seal the outer edges (but not the root edge) with thin CA to keep the label from delaminating, and attach the fins to the body tube with yellow glue. Finish with your favorite primer and paint...

The fins should be 1/16" thick, BTW...

tbzep
05-01-2008, 07:16 AM
This kit had 1/16" fins, so make sure you get the wood grain correct when you get ready to cut. They will be really flimsy until you get them glued to the body tube. Once glued, they will stiffen considerably.