PDA

View Full Version : Sanding Epoxy

Mouse
05-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Building up a HJ Maxi and just completed the attachment of fins to the boattail. I used 2 part epoxy for added strength. However, I now have some excess glue that leaked out of the seams.

Any ideas on how to remove this glue from the plastic fins / boattail pieces? Some research indicates I need to wet sand....

pantherjon
05-13-2008, 08:14 AM
If the epoxy is on the plastic parts you should be able to get most of it off by using the point of an x-acto knife to 'chip' it off..Try a rag dipped in denatured alcohol to try and loosen its bond to the plastic..Sanding set epoxy would require a low grit(60 or 80 grit) sandpaper and runs the risk of marring the plastic..

Mark II
05-13-2008, 07:03 PM
Covering the excess with a rag soaked with alcohol for 15-20 minutes (you'll have to keep re-wetting the rag) may help to soften up the epoxy. I have been able to completely remove well-cured epoxy with the help of LOTS of isopropyl alcohol and a rag (and some elbow grease and lots of time) without needing to use any abrasives, but I've never tried to do so on plastic.

Mark

pyrovette20
05-14-2008, 07:45 AM
Sometimes a file will work better than sandpaper.You can control it easier.