PDA

View Full Version : Estes Phoenix Major Upgrade Kit

moonzero2
05-14-2008, 04:32 AM
I'm considering getting this upgrade kit for an Estes Phoenix kit that I have:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Estes-Phoenix-MAJOR-Upgrade-Kit-FLY-to-1-2-Mile_W0QQitemZ150246018023QQihZ005QQcategoryZ2567QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
It comes with plastic fins to replace the stock balsa fins. My question is what glue/adhesive would work best to bond plastic to the stock tubing? And just how well will this hold under the stress of F and G engines?

ScaleNut
05-14-2008, 04:54 PM
epoxy would work well for this. the finished model should hold up well to f and most G however I't would be wise to work up from F to G motors rather than try a G80 right away.

Digitalastro
05-14-2008, 10:45 PM
The real secret is in the preparation of the fins. If you scuff up the polystyrene on the root edge and about 1/4 inch up the sides (where you fillet the fins) with 200 grit sandpaper many adhesives will work.
We tested the styrene/paper tube joint with 4 adhesives; epoxy, elmer's nano glue, elmer's probond and testors plastic cement.

The plastic cement joint failed with very little effort. It was stronger on a radial pull, but weak on a tangental force.

Probond was surprisingly strong. In a radial pull, the tube deformed before the joint failed, and in the tangental test, the tube deformed before the joint failed

Nano glue and epoxy had the same results, the tube would deform before the joint failed.

I guess if you want to go with a sure thing, use 3 hour epoxy. The extra cure time will allow the epoxy to soak into the paper and make a very strong joint.

The nano glue made a very uneven fillet and looked pretty ugly - but it held.

If you feel adventurous, try probond. I would be curious to see how the fins hold up under real world conditions.

Gus
05-14-2008, 10:54 PM
I saw the Red Max upgrade kit fly last month. Very cool.

These upgrade kits are well designed and fill a great niche.

ghrocketman
05-15-2008, 09:24 AM
I used their upgrade kit for my Big Daddy that included aircraft PLY TTW fins, ply centering rings, and HD 24mm motor tube.
I really like it as I had ZERO intention to fly that thing on any weak SU BP D12's or E9's.
NEEDLESS TO SAY, I used epoxy throughout the build.
Probably added no more than 2.5 oz to the overal kit weight, but it sure is strong.

moonzero2
05-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Thank-you for all your replies. This is exactly what I needed to know. You guys are great! This forum is so cool! :D