PDA

View Full Version : Falcon Boost Glider Pylon Dimensions

chronister
05-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Hello.

Would you happen to have the dimensions for the Astron Falcon boost glider pylon? This is the thick balsa piece that holds the motor tube onto the glider airframe.

This web site: http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/custom_estes/no_diagram.html provides some dimensions for a BFS-60S, but I don't think the length could be right for this model. It says 3.7 inches and that would be longer than the motor tube. I'd like to know the correct length as well as the angle it was cut at so I can recreate the part.

Thanks for your help!

Nathan

ghrocketman
05-22-2008, 12:26 PM
The pylon is definitely longer than the motor tube due to the angle cuts.
I do not know the actual lenth as I'm at the office, not at home...maybe someone else knows.

Carl@Semroc
05-22-2008, 01:17 PM
They used the Scout fins. They are 3/16" thick and are cut at a 22.5 degree angle. Each side is 2.5" long. Overall is 3.6".

chronister
05-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Interesting! I assume that means the wood grain is parallel to the body tube. I guess it must be strong enough or they wouldn't do it that way, right?

The old kit instructions at Jim-Z's web site must not be drawn to scale. They seem to show a shorter length for the part, and definitely suggest more like a 45 degree angle. But I've noted other inconsistencies with other kits, so I won't fret over it too much.