PDA

View Full Version : Estes Camroc Carrier reducer

STRMan
05-31-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm trying to clone an Estes Camroc Carrier. I've got all the parts except for the balsa transition that connects the BT-50 main body tube to the clear BT-60 payload section. Both Semroc and BMS have a BT-50 to BT 60 transition (Estes p/n 70016), but they are too long. I need Estes p/n 70019, which is shorter, but I'm not sure how much shorter. I've sent to emails to Semroc to see if they have or could make this part, but they haven't responded to them yet (which is strange). I could buy the longer transition and make the main body tube shorter, but that will make it tougher to pack the chute being recessed in the long paper outer transition cone. Any ideas?

Jimz Camroc Carrier plans (http://www.dars.org/jimz/est1266.htm)

Race58
06-01-2008, 02:16 AM
I have my original transition from my old Camroc kit. Never used it because I used the Camera only.
If you could tell me which measurements you need I will take the measurments and give them to you.

Rocket Doctor
06-01-2008, 08:35 AM
I'm trying to clone an Estes Camroc Carrier. I've got all the parts except for the balsa transition that connects the BT-50 main body tube to the clear BT-60 payload section. Both Semroc and BMS have a BT-50 to BT 60 transition (Estes p/n 70016), but they are too long. I need Estes p/n 70019, which is shorter, but I'm not sure how much shorter. I've sent to emails to Semroc to see if they have or could make this part, but they haven't responded to them yet (which is strange). I could buy the longer transition and make the main body tube shorter, but that will make it tougher to pack the chute being recessed in the long paper outer transition cone. Any ideas?

Jimz Camroc Carrier plans (http://www.dars.org/jimz/est1266.htm)

carl at Semroc just got back from TARC in Manassas, and, they had a slight problem with their computers.

I might have that balsa transistion, if you can get the dimensions, I will look, I have a box full of vintage balsa.

STRMan
06-01-2008, 10:39 AM
I have my original transition from my old Camroc kit. Never used it because I used the Camera only.
If you could tell me which measurements you need I will take the measurments and give them to you.

Thank you so much. If you could give me the overall length and the length of each shoulder, I can deduce the length of the transition area. It might be easier than trying to measure the linear distance of the angled face. Maybe the Rocket Doctor might have one laying around. If not, I'm hoping Carl can turn me one.

This place is the greatest. So far, after officially becoming a BAR (the day I joined this site) just over 6 months ago, I've built 18 model rockets. I lost one of these to a RET. I have 3 more presently being built and at least a dozen kits waiting for me to start.

Out of the ones I've built or am building, 2 of them, A Centuri Stiletto and an Estes EAC VIper are recreations of models I built and flew as a kid. I've got a Vulcan on the bench right now. The Camroc Carrier and an Andromeda will be the next projects. While I enjoy building new models, building a new version of a model I already built as a kid, with much better finishing than ever before, is the most satisfying part of this hobby so far.

Right now, it is so dry around here, they have a burn ban in effect. Being the good citizen I am, I'll focus on building instead of flying until we get a little rain around here.

Once again, thanks for the help guys!

Carl@Semroc
06-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Try TA-5060C (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1767). It is close to the photos. I do not have one around here anywhere to verify it.

Race58
06-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Ok, The larger shoulder is 7/16 and the smaller one is 3/4 in length.
The overall length including the transtion appears to be 1 & 15/16 th's.
I don't have a caliper so I am eyeballing it.
Hope this helps.
EdThank you so much. If you could give me the overall length and the length of each shoulder, I can deduce the length of the transition area. It might be easier than trying to measure the linear distance of the angled face. Maybe the Rocket Doctor might have one laying around. If not, I'm hoping Carl can turn me one.

This place is the greatest. So far, after officially becoming a BAR (the day I joined this site) just over 6 months ago, I've built 18 model rockets. I lost one of these to a RET. I have 3 more presently being built and at least a dozen kits waiting for me to start.

Out of the ones I've built or am building, 2 of them, A Centuri Stiletto and an Estes EAC VIper are recreations of models I built and flew as a kid. I've got a Vulcan on the bench right now. The Camroc Carrier and an Andromeda will be the next projects. While I enjoy building new models, building a new version of a model I already built as a kid, with much better finishing than ever before, is the most satisfying part of this hobby so far.

Right now, it is so dry around here, they have a burn ban in effect. Being the good citizen I am, I'll focus on building instead of flying until we get a little rain around here.

Once again, thanks for the help guys!

Rocket Doctor
06-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Sorry to say, I went through all of my vintage balsa, I have everything inbetween, TA-5060 that are 1 inch longer than what you need, kplenty of TA-5055 the length you need, but, that won't help. And a whole bunch of other stuff.

Have you tried BMS ?

STRMan
06-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Sorry to say, I went through all of my vintage balsa, I have everything inbetween, TA-5060 that are 1 inch longer than what you need, kplenty of TA-5055 the length you need, but, that won't help. And a whole bunch of other stuff.

Have you tried BMS ?

Thanks for trying. BMS lists the same transition Semroc does on it site. I'm going to order the one from the link Carl gave me and see if I can make it work. It certainly looks very close to the one I need.

moonzero2
06-01-2008, 09:06 PM
BMS will custom make one if you provide all the dimensions.

Rocket Doctor
06-01-2008, 09:10 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I checked out the plans for the camroc carrier on JimZ's, it looks to me that the transistion is a paper shroud, check it out, item "P" is a pattern sheet according to the instruction sheet.

Does anyone else see this????

STRMan
06-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Cool.

Now I feel like a total idiot. I thought I had all of the parts lined up except for this reducer, and now I realize I am also missing the clear tube PST-60R. Any idea who stocks clear plastic tubes?

Rocket Doctor
06-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Cool.

Now I feel like a total idiot. I thought I had all of the parts lined up except for this reducer, and now I realize I am also missing the clear tube PST-60R. Any idea who stocks clear plastic tubes?

Look at Estes Inustires Inc plan #60, Camroc Carrier. It is a paper transistion.

Are you sure that you want the Camroc carrier, or the Delta? For sure, the Camroc Carrier as noted in plan #60 has a paper shroud,so noted on page two.

EDIT

Now that I look at it again, that is a plastic base from the Camroc itself, this is why you cant find it, take a close look at it, the Camroc base goes int a plastic payload section with a nose cone. I might have the clear payload section, but, I don't think I have a camroc base though.

al_packer
06-01-2008, 10:30 PM
It most definitely wuz a paper shroud in the original model--

CPMcGraw
06-01-2008, 11:27 PM
...Now that I look at it again, that is a plastic base from the Camroc itself, this is why you cant find it...

RD,

I'm looking at a scan of the 1266 version of the kit, and the part in question actually is a balsa transition, part number 70019. It does not show up in the 741 Parts Catalog, but the part number for the standard TA-5060 was 70016, and the part number for the TA-5065 (from the Scrambler) was 70020.

The EIRP sheets don't show this transition, as the design was originally intended for use only with the Camroc. The balsa transition everyone is describing appears to have been created just for this one model, for use as part of the special payload section.

The Camroc Carrier was introduced in the catalog in 1975 on page 13. This is important, as it was the last year the Camroc was available. The Camroc Carrier remains in the 1976 catalog, but neither the Camroc nor the Cineroc are available. That transition was created to get some additional life from the kit, but that life was limited to a short two years. It was not offered in the 1977 catalog.

CPMcGraw
06-01-2008, 11:45 PM
It most definitely wuz a paper shroud in the original model--
Look at Estes Inustires Inc plan #60, Camroc Carrier. It is a paper transistion.

The paper shroud was the outer "skin", or aerodynamic shell, that transitioned from the outer diameter of the Camroc to the diameter of the rocket body (BT-50). The transition that is being described was, as RD said, a plastic component on the Camroc, but it was balsa for the payload compartment that was part of the 1266 kit. The small shoulder of these transitions slipped into the top of the BT-50 and was the structural junction between the payloads and the rocket. The shock chord was attached to these transitions. The paper shroud covered these transitions, and they were not visible when the stack was assembled.

STRMan
06-02-2008, 12:19 AM
I never actually had the Camroc itself, but I love the Camroc Carrier as a payload rocket. It is a really nice egg lofter. That is what I'm after. In theory, the shorter balsa transition Carl has will work without a problem. I just have to make sure it matches the measurements Race 58 gave me. If not, I may have to shorten or lengthen the main body tube so the model will have the correct overall length.

RD, I believe the clear payload tube is 5" long and BT-60 in diameter. If you find a piece like this, let me know what you want for it. I'd be happy to leave you with less items to pack up for your move. ;)

STRMan
06-02-2008, 12:21 AM
CPMcGraw, you laid out the scenario perfectly.