PDA

View Full Version : Orv Carlisle article

shockwaveriderz
07-05-2008, 09:22 PM
http://www.norfolkdailynews.com/main.asp?SectionID=3&SubSectionID=104&ArticleID=10991

enjoy, I did

if you look at the pic of Margaret and Mary Carlisle closely you will see 2 Mark 1's, a Mark 2, an Aerobee-Hi with Launcher and what appears to be both an 001-A and 001-B Aerobee-Hi Kits.

terry dean

lessgravity
07-07-2008, 09:51 PM
I came across the same photograph of Orville they used in this article this week on google images. I put it on my blog with a couple of questions. If you read my post you will see that an editor from Esquire answered one of my questions which was about the Esquire article in which the picture appeared.
The other question was what rocket is Orville holding? Anyone here know?
My post and picture (http://rocketry.wordpress.com/2008/07/05/interesting-photo-of-orville-carlisle/)

Royatl
07-07-2008, 10:09 PM
I came across the same photograph of Orville they used in this article this week on google images. I put it on my blog with a couple of questions. If you read my post you will see that an editor from Esquire answered one of my questions which was about the Esquire article in which the picture appeared.
The other question was what rocket is Orville holding? Anyone here know?
My post and picture (http://rocketry.wordpress.com/2008/07/05/interesting-photo-of-orville-carlisle/)

As I just mentioned in a comment on your blog, it is the Estes Delta Wedge (http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/estes85/85est48.html).

shockwaveriderz
07-07-2008, 11:16 PM
I believe some of the following is from earlier Plimpton publications

The Best of Plimpton 1990 - Norfolk, Nebraska

"Carlisle himself had one great chance for renown and fortune. In 1954,
he invented a solid-propellant motor for lightweight rockets, and a parachute
recovery system so the rocket could be reflown--thus pioneering the industry
of modern model rocketry. Carlisle's first two models, the Mark I and the Mark II,
sit on display in the Smithsonian Institution in Washington.

The returns from his invention could have been considerable had things
gone as planned. Officials in the industry estimate that a million hobbyists in
this country, most of them teenagers, have bought various kits to fashion
rockets that soar up and float down in parachutes from heights that vary from
several hundred to a thousand feet. Some of the more complex kits contain
two or three-stage models; some, rather than use parachutes, turn into gliders
at the apex of their rise and sail back to the ground. One company
actually sells a miniature rocket-camera that snaps a single picture of the earth
below when it reaches the top of its climb.

All of these are propelled by what Carlisle contributed: a round tube of
slow-burning propellant that fits into the bottom of the rocket and is disposable
after use, meaning that a single rocket can be used indefinately.

For complicated legal reasons (he spent three years in court) Orv lost
his exclusivity of patent rights); "a patent is simply a license to fight," he complained to me), specifically for failing to give a completely adequate notice of infringement to a competitior.

"What if it had all worked out?" I asked him. "what would you have done differently with your life.
Would you have left Norfolk?"

"Oh, I don't think so," Orv Said. "My friends are here. I grew up in Norfolk and it's a good place.
I don't think much would have changed. I might have done some more duck hunting and goofed off more."

terry dean

Gus
07-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Terry,

Thanks for posting the link.

I was very interested in the photo showing the Mark 2. It appears to be painted (very nicely) red, blue, and yellow, which was a surprise.

I contacted the author of the article, Jerry Guenther, and he graciously sent me larger copies of some of the photos he had, which I've attached here.

Unfortunately he did not include a larger version of that photo, but I've recontacted him to see if it is available.

Thanks again, Terry.

shockwaveriderz
07-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Terry,

Thanks for posting the link.

I was very interested in the photo showing the Mark I. It appears to be painted (very nicely) red, blue, and yellow, which was a surprise.

I contacted the author of the article, Jerry Guenther, and he graciously sent me larger copies of some of the photos he had, which I've attached here.

Unfortunately he did not include a larger version of that photo, but I've recontacted him to see if it is available.

Thanks again, Terry.

Gus, you old dog.... you beat me to the punch on this one.... I must be slipping in my old age huh?

If and when you get the photos please post here and also cc to shockwaveriderz@hotmail.com

... I guess I really ought to go over to the library and make copies of the Orv Carlisle article in George Plimptons book....... but its so hot,hazy and humid here .......and I don't do AC.......

thanks

terry dean

kurtschachner
07-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Terry,

Geez, I have that issue of American Modeler and all this time it never dawned on me it was Orville on the cover. Maybe I knew it at one time but somehow forgot.

Is that the same issue which has the product review on the Aerobee-Hi starter set? I have that one too and once made a copy of the article for our club's newsletter. That is a great article.

P.S. The article "She Went That Aweigh" about ladies and boats not mixing is classic. Aside from the text, the artwork is just a hoot.

Gus
07-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Gus, you old dog....
Terry,

The reason I wanted to see the bigger pictures is the way the Mark I appears. I'm just really intrigued it is so artfully decorated.

Maybe you guys have seen other color pictures of it but this is the only one I've seen. I figured the color version looked orange like the recent Sport Rocketry article. That red, blue, and yellow version looks really cool.

Does anybody know if there are other color pics of the Mark 1?

shockwaveriderz
07-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Well I made it back from the libraries and in the meantime the temperature went from 86 to 92; whew!.

anyway I got the 1990 "The Best of Plimpton" which has a chapter called "Norfolk, Nebraska", which has the excerpt I posted above in it; I also got the 1984 "Fireworks" and it does not seem to have a chapter or information about the Esquire magazine article in it. hmm.

Wayne, you think you could contact that Esquire editor and perhaps get more information or permission to .pdf the 1985 Esquire article or something.....

Anyway, the 1984 book does have 2 B&W pics of some of Orv's Famous Firewoks collection. And a few comments about Orv by George Plimpton; but not the chapter or article.

It turns out there are 3 editions of this book: the 1984 version I got today; a 1989 version titled Fireworks: A History and Celebration and a 1994 edition.

terry dean

shockwaveriderz
07-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Terry,

The reason I wanted to see the bigger pictures is the way the Mark I appears. I'm just really intrigued it is so artfully decorated.

Maybe you guys have seen other color pictures of it but this is the only one I've seen. I figured the color version looked orange like the recent Sport Rocketry article. That red, blue, and yellow version looks really cool.

Does anybody know if there are other color pics of the Mark 1?

The only color photo I've seen was one posted here by Bob Sanford (?) which was from the Smithsonian ; I assume this one is the former Stine one donated.

I also got a very,very,very poor color photo of what appears to be Rock-A-Chute Mark I from Bob Craddock. I had emailed the Smithsonian for ANY photos they might have (or please take one for me) and they never got back to me so I "went up the ladder" so to speak and Bob sent me this very,very,very poor color photo.

Bob, if you're listening how about posting a better color photo> Or we can all email the Smithsonian and ask for a photo> Maybe this time we will get a better copy?

WHEN I said Smithsonian I meant NASM: I called the NASM Reference Desk and they told me to send my request for any B&W and or Color Photos that they may already have to nasmrefdesk@si.edu.

EDIT
well don't try to get any photos of either the MArk I or MArk 2 from NASM; I received an email back from Bob Craddock informing me there were NO pictures of either the MArk I or 2 available.

I guess the only way one might get current photos would be to arrange with NASM in advance a date and time to have the relics brought to you at the NASM reference room and take any pics yourself.

terry dean

Gus
07-09-2008, 01:34 AM
Mr. Jerry Guenther of the Norfolk Daily News came through for me again. What a kind gentleman!

I doubt there are many rewards for being a journalist producing this kind of public interest story other than knowing people enjoy your work.

If you'd like to thank him personally for being kind enough to provide us these photos you can drop him a line at jguenther@norfolkdailynews.com

Terry, in case Bob Craddock doesn't happen upon this thread himself, perhaps you could suggest he might talk to James David about acquiring copies of the Norfolk Daily New photos, if not Mrs. Carlisles models themselves.

Wow, what great photos. Look at the colors on that Mark 2.

Steve

shockwaveriderz
07-09-2008, 01:50 PM
Mr. Jerry Guenther of the Norfolk Daily News came through for me again. What a kind gentleman!

I doubt there are many rewards for being a journalist producing this kind of public interest story other than knowing people enjoy your work.

If you'd like to thank him personally for being kind enough to provide us these photos you can drop him a line at jguenther@norfolkdailynews.com

Terry, in case Bob Craddock doesn't happen upon this thread himself, perhaps you could suggest he might talk to James David about acquiring copies of the Norfolk Daily New photos, if not Mrs. Carlisles models themselves.

Wow, what great photos. Look at the colors on that Mark 2.

Steve

Great work Steve.
-anybody notice that there is an original Rock-a-Chute engine in the stand up Mark I ?
and that one of the legs on the Mark I on its side, appears to be scorched?

terry dean

Gus
07-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Great work Steve.
-anybody notice that there is an original Rock-a-Chute engine in the stand up Mark I ?
and that one of the legs on the Mark I on its side, appears to be scorched?

terry dean
Terry,

I noticed the same thing. The Mark I laying on its side is definitely a flown model.

I've been trying to figure out what the silver band is below the Crayon Sharpener nosecone on the Mark II. Part of the nosecone attachment?

There also appears to be something sticking out from the side of the model at the upper end of the blue body tube (just overlapping the next to last "e" on the Aerobee. Wonder what it is. It's not the oversized launch lug as that is easily seen in the other photo.

I also noticed that the yellow fin is chipped on the end. Definitely looks like it was a flown model. Very cool.

Bluegrass Rocket
07-19-2008, 07:28 AM
I just stumbled across what I think is very interesting. While trying to figure out different color patterns that the Rock-A-Chute Mark II was painted, I noticed that the Mark II in the above photos is one of the same ones in the picture that accompanies the Orville story in the premier issue of LAUNCH magazine. If you look on page 34 of the first LAUNCH, on the very left edge, you will see the same blue, red and yellow Mark II with the chip missing from the one fin. The photo shows Orville and his brother and they look pretty young. This kind of proves the age of the Mark II in the photos included in this thread.

sandman
07-19-2008, 10:18 AM
OK, I asume one of the ladies in the photo is Mrs. Carlisle.

Who is the other lady?

shockwaveriderz
07-19-2008, 10:47 AM
She's Orv Carlisle's daughter Margaret.

terry dean

SEL
07-19-2008, 11:16 PM
I think the piece sticking out of the tube is the knot in the shock cord.

Sean

Terry,

I noticed the same thing. The Mark I laying on its side is definitely a flown model.

I've been trying to figure out what the silver band is below the Crayon Sharpener nosecone on the Mark II. Part of the nosecone attachment?

There also appears to be something sticking out from the side of the model at the upper end of the blue body tube (just overlapping the next to last "e" on the Aerobee. Wonder what it is. It's not the oversized launch lug as that is easily seen in the other photo.

I also noticed that the yellow fin is chipped on the end. Definitely looks like it was a flown model. Very cool.