PDA

View Full Version : What I did this seummer...

Phred
08-19-2005, 06:37 PM
Since the humidity broke a few days ago, Ive been working on finishing some rockets that have been languishing around in their 'underwear' (primer).

here are my Black Brant VB, (kit-bashed from a Viking kit), my Centuri Orion (in primer in the pic, but now painted gloss white with a cherry red tomato nose...), and my Big Bertha (I had it as a kid, but it was ugly, so I re-painted it as in the 1969 catalog).

Well, here they are...

stefanj
08-19-2005, 07:00 PM
Very snazzy!

The same Bertha photo must have been used in the 1970 catalog. It looks familiar.

(clicky clicky)

Yes, that's the one! The color photo really impressed me . . .

Wow, it is 35 years ago this summer that I found an Estes catalog lying on the ground on the last day of summer camp. I picked it up while waiting for my mom to pick me up. POW! After reading it I dutifully put it back where I'd found it. I ordered my own a few days later.

A Fish Named Wallyum
08-19-2005, 09:07 PM
If the weather holds out, mine flies this weekend. I like the aura in this picture. I've since added the final red band at the top and I have the decal printed.

stefanj
08-20-2005, 05:24 PM
Be sure to launch that Bertha on a B4-2 for a slow-realistic takeoff!

The B4-x is the closest thing you can get to pre-Newton motors, specifically the B.8-x. The long discontinued A5-x was a close match to the A.8-x.

Phred
08-23-2005, 08:12 PM
OK, here are some pics of he finished Orion. The decals and the 3/8" trim monokote strips really make this look great!!

I cannot wait to fly it... hopefully I will Saturday at the ASTRE launch.

Phred

Bob H
08-23-2005, 08:56 PM
Be sure to launch that Bertha on a B4-2 for a slow-realistic takeoff!

The B4-x is the closest thing you can get to pre-Newton motors, specifically the B.8-x. The long discontinued A5-x was a close match to the A.8-x.

I still have a few packages of A5-2's in the diamond tube. I had some in the old blue tubes but I launched them.

I rarely get to fly except at the club launches and I can't use them there cause they have been decertified for years so they just sit there. :(

It used to be my favorite small field motor.

Oh, by the way, it's nice to see that someone repairs and repaints old models. I usually don't take the time.

Eagle3
08-23-2005, 08:57 PM
Beautiful job Phred!

Bravo Zulu!

Vanel
08-23-2005, 09:25 PM
Awesome Phred! :D

dtomko
08-24-2005, 07:02 AM
Beautiful work, Phred.
Drew

A Fish Named Wallyum
08-31-2005, 04:00 AM
Where did you get the parts for your Orion, Phred? My cones from Moldin' Oldies arrived today and I placed the tube and such order with Semroc this evening. Looking forward to starting on mine this weekend. :cool:

Phred
08-31-2005, 07:31 AM
I got the main airframe from Totally Tubular, and the wraps from Paul:

http://hometown.aol.com/grafgulch/s1bwraps.htm

The actual Orion bottom wrap is from the Sat V, but I just used the lower Sat1b wrap. If you have the latest ESTES Sat V, I have been told that it does include extra plastic parts from the old Centuri kit that can be used to detail the Orion. I just didn't bother. I did attach the wraps just before final painting so I could fill all seams.

The pods are BT-20, and the NCs are the Yankee/Shuttle booster cones from a BT-20 NC pack I had squirreled away in the parts box.

It did modify the model by adding a 24mm mount and leaving off the rear nozzle. It flies great, and is very stable. The heft of this model is very impressive!

Phred