PDA

View Full Version : What is this model?

Carl@Semroc
07-31-2008, 08:51 PM
More to follow....

What an experience.

Terry. This is what we were looking for!

Mark II
07-31-2008, 09:57 PM
[Oo, oo! Mr. Kotter! Mr. Kotter!] (http://horshack.ytmnd.com/)

Looks like a Rock-A-Chute to me, Carl. MK-1, from Bal-Rock Industries, 407 South 9th St., Norfolk, Nebraska. Orville Carlisle, proprietor. But I could be wrong. ;)

If a kit of that rocket was re-introduced, it would quite possibly be the Mother of All Retro-Repros! :D

Mark \\.

stefanj
07-31-2008, 10:31 PM
Strange. Those spars almost look metallic.

An AVI motor!

Royatl
07-31-2008, 10:52 PM
More to follow....

What an experience.

Terry. This is what we were looking for!

But, but, but.... looks too new to be a real one! And that AVI motor!

Most important though, Carl.... Did you get your Golden Scouts built and flown??

Bluegrass Rocket
07-31-2008, 11:03 PM
What it looks like to me is "very interesting"! I'd guess a real Mark I. The lug tube is not spiral wound. Hmm.

Carl, it was great getting to talk to you at NARAM. Thanks for eveything you did toward the Sky of Gold. Thanks will never be enough.

dwmzmm
08-01-2008, 07:06 AM
I wanted to say it looks like a scale (or full sized) model of the Congreve rocket...... :rolleyes:

lessgravity
08-01-2008, 08:43 AM
Yep - That's a Mark 1 and by the thickness of the tube walls and the construction ...it looks original. Maybe repainted but original.

So what's the story Carl?

shockwaveriderz
08-01-2008, 09:26 AM
looks like a replica to me.

The original as far as I am aware, didn't have that end centering ring in it.

Plus there's something wrong with the scale or maybe its just the picture.

Plus the body tube is sprial wound....I think Orv Carlilse would have been using hand wound convolute wound paper tubes; or maybe he did use spiral wound, I again don't know for sure.

so whats the story Carl?

terry dean

JRThro
08-01-2008, 09:29 AM
What it looks like to me is "very interesting"! I'd guess a real Mark I. The lug tube is not spiral wound. Hmm.

Carl, it was great getting to talk to you at NARAM. Thanks for eveything you did toward the Sky of Gold. Thanks will never be enough.
A bit OT here, Rick, but I enjoyed meeting you and seeing and learning about your crayon sharpeners.

cas2047
08-01-2008, 12:48 PM
If it is a Mark I: With all due respect to the historical significance of the Mark I, that's one ugly rocket! ;) Of course I'd buy it anyway if it were re-made as a Retro-Repro. :)

Before now I had never seen a Mark I, but in the description of the Mark II on the Semroc site it says that the Mark I looked more like fireworks than it's replacement the Mark II and the rocket pictured sure looks more like fireworks than a rocket to me.

lessgravity
08-01-2008, 12:54 PM
If it is a Mark I: With all due respect to the historical significance of the Mark I, that's one ugly rocket! ;) Of course I'd buy it anyway if it were re-made as a Retro-Repro. :)

Before now I had never seen a Mark I, but in the description of the Mark II on the Semroc site it says that the Mark I looked more like fireworks than it's replacement the Mark II and the rocket pictured sure looks more like fireworks than a rocket to me.
Here is a great picture of Orville's Mark 1's and a Mark 2

cas2047
08-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Here is a great picture of Orville's Mark 1's and a Mark 2

Very cool picture! Thanks for posting it.

Carl@Semroc
08-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Sorry that I can't get files directly from my camera to the server from Virginia.

According to G. Harry, it is the earliest Mark I from 1954! Not anything like I imagined with posterboard fins stapled to hardwood stilts, taped to a thick tube (.95" ID x 1.15" OD approx.) with hardwood ring. Nose cone was hollow with seam like blow molded cones, but looked more like injection.

This is from the Stine collection at the Smithsonian. Rocket Doctor and I along with Vern and our families were guests of Dr. Bob Craddock for a peek at history. What an experience that was.

The original Mark II nose cone was ribbed. The body tube was parallel wound. Shock cord was flat contest rubber and thick cotton glued in the balsa block in the nose cone.

A combination of original .5" diameter by 2.25" long hand pressed Carlisle motors were attached together with a ring, more than likely to be an early chad staged set.

Mark II
08-01-2008, 03:43 PM
You mean, I was...right?!?!? :eek:

All right!... Sweathog No More!!! :D :D :D

HAR! HAR! HONK! HONK!

Mark \\.