PDA

View Full Version : Estes MRN (and DOM) XKits?

DeanHFox
08-01-2008, 03:28 PM
A question for the forum in general (and Semroc's team in particular):

Would it be possible to offer XKits of the original Estes Model Rocket News (and Design of the Month winner) designs?

I think these designs are often overlooked, and that's a shame.

What do you think?

CPMcGraw
08-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Starship Excalibur (http://www.dars.org/jimz/eirp_55.htm) and Saturnian (http://www.dars.org/jimz/eirp_39.htm) would be great "siblings", as they share some of the same design features...

DeanHFox
08-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Starship Excalibur and Saturnian would be great "siblings", as they share some of the same design features...It's funny you'd mention those two, as those were (literally) the first two I thought of as I was typing my original msg. :)

I'd love to see Carl & crew produce an SLS of either kit. I think the graceful lines of the Saturnian make it one of the most beautiful designs ever created.

barone
08-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Yes, the DOM designs would probably fit this scheme nicely. Most of them were just an illustration of the parts and didn't include any indepth instructions.

Eagle3
08-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Here is a progress shot of my Saturnian. It's coming out just as well as I had hoped. I've always loved that design since I saw it on the back of my 1974 Parts Catalog. I also threw in the other DOM plans I've built.

DeanHFox
08-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL Saturnian...I'll have to dig the digital cam out and grab a shot of mine.

With all that fin area, I wonder how well she'd upscale...?

Chas Russell
08-25-2008, 08:41 PM
So, is this a bad time to mention that Vern and Gleda signed my copy of the bound design book given to participants of NARAM-11 in 1969? Which I have scanned, crumbily, but scanned? Has stuff like the Saturnian and a few other early design thingies?

Scott, do you want them?

All I need back is my Estes Transport USS America decals from someone in your area who has been promising them back to me for years, but I won't mention names or make threats, but I have to have them back to quell the sighing from the opened kit in my work area. Its mad I tell you....

But, I digress...

It is like four or five files. They aren't pretty, but in their own ways, they are pretty.

Chas

Ltvscout
08-25-2008, 09:23 PM
So, is this a bad time to mention that Vern and Gleda signed my copy of the bound design book given to participants of NARAM-11 in 1969? Which I have scanned, crumbily, but scanned? Has stuff like the Saturnian and a few other early design thingies?

Scott, do you want them?
Sure! Thank you.

All I need back is my Estes Transport USS America decals from someone in your area who has been promising them back to me for years, but I won't mention names or make threats, but I have to have them back to quell the sighing from the opened kit in my work area. Its mad I tell you....
Is this someone that is an end user, a rocketry company owner, or someone that used to scan stuff for YORP?

Eagle3
08-26-2008, 07:06 AM
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL Saturnian...I'll have to dig the digital cam out and grab a shot of mine.

With all that fin area, I wonder how well she'd upscale...?

Thanks Dean. Fill n Finish really takes care of a lot of mistakes. :rolleyes: It's kinda hard to cut those three side tubes to get them to fit perfectly against the BT-55.

It would make for a really nice upscale, but you'd have to have a really soft decent rate and no side motion. Make it the last launch of the day when the winds die off. :)

I want to paint it like drawing, but haven't decided what colors to use yet.