PDA

View Full Version : Astron X-Ray Build

Molniya
08-02-2008, 07:20 AM
Well I’ve just completed a clone of the Astron X-Ray ! It’s finished as depicted on page 18 of the 1971 Estes catalog ( see pictures attached ) The X-Ray on the right side of the photo was my first model rocket and the only known survivor of my original fleet. It was finished in the pre-Damon yellow & black ( rather shabbily...but i was 9 yeras old !) with electrical tape since I goofed up the decals big time. Note the slit body tube attachment for the shock cord. The clone was built from Semroc parts, which I received about 2 weeks before they announced the “X-Kits” ! I’ve ordered another one so that I can finish it in that gorgeous yellow & black ! I’ve just received the decal set from Excelsior this past Monday. Astron Constellation is next followed by the Cobra and my original fleet will be complete

barone
08-02-2008, 07:54 AM
Looks great. I have a fondness for the X-Ray.....it was the first rocket kit I ever owned. Cloned one a couple of years ago. I've never flown it..... :o

dwmzmm
08-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Looks great. I have a fondness for the X-Ray.....it was the first rocket kit I ever owned. Cloned one a couple of years ago. I've never flown it..... :o

First rocket kit ever owned?! I thought it'd be the Astron Alpha and/or Astron Scout the first..... :D

tbzep
08-02-2008, 11:11 AM
First rocket kit ever owned?! I thought it'd be the Astron Alpha and/or Astron Scout the first..... :D

I figured he mentored Carlile and Stine on building their first models. He is BAR # 1 ya know. ;)

Green Dragon
08-02-2008, 12:27 PM

Actually the X-Ray sounds like a great first build, still a 4fnc but witht he payload, makes for a more interesting entry lever offering .

My first was the Mark II, ever got painted though before we lost it, I did however use the vintage decals ( except one that fell apart before I added another copat of krylon ), for my clone ( vintage parts as well, so what constitutes a clone, lol.. the modern balsa fins ? ) :)

My brothers first ever rocket was the Alien Invader, which he still has - albeit retired after a month in a tree.....

~ AL

Green Dragon
08-02-2008, 12:28 PM
PS: the birds look great .

:)

going to have to pick up the Semroc offering to paint in the yellow and black sceme, as I have a mostly restored vintage one ( my original from late 70s, but sanded down and repainted ).

I have an upscale version in the que, now wonder which decor sceme to use :P

~ AL

barone
08-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Oh come on guys....I'm not THAT old...... ;)