PDA

View Full Version : NARAM 50 - For the Record Books

Rocket Doctor
08-03-2008, 01:14 PM
NARAM 50 is now history, and, I would like to thank all of those who I saw there and met. I am still on the road in CT and will give my thoughts about the event that was GREAT.

I would appreciate comments from those who attended the event and I am looking forward to NARAM 51 being held in Johnstown PA next year.

Using a hotel computer right now, will give an update probably on Wed.

Thanks to all who participated in the Golden Scout and Sky Of Gold celebration. Remember, you must register your flight by August 9th inorder to get a certificate.

I will also update you on my next project as well.

Thanks

RD

Royatl
08-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Twas a great NARAM, at least the two and a 1/4 days I was there. I truly hate that I had to come back home Monday, but that was all I could wrangle from my bosses.

It was nice finally meeting you and Diane, and I hope to see you again next year.

Shreadvector
08-03-2008, 07:08 PM
It was great meeting so many of the online folks in-person. Great NARAM. Great Old Rocketeers Reunion. Great launches. Too much dining. Still waiting for my luggage to be delivered. Good thing I shipped most of my purchases via UPS and they will arrive a week from Monday. I bought a lot of kits and some of the new Aerotech 24-60 casings.

Phred
08-04-2008, 08:45 AM
I missed the ORR, and was only able to attend Sunday afternoon throught Tuesday night.
I had a great time flying vintage model rockets. These were all models that were built in the 1960's and early 1970's.... all except my Model Missiles Arcon, wheich flew like a champ.

I had a great time hanging out with Sandman at the field (Thanks for the table space and the shade buddy!!). I sold about 1/2 of the vintage motors I brought along, and a pile of decals too. Thanks to all who purchased from me.

I also had a great time putting faces to all of the newsgroup and email names that I have corresponded with over the years. (including the rocketdoctor himself!!) It was a lot like meeting old frineds.

I realy enjoyed hob-nobbing with manufacturers. Everyone was universally friendly, which I believe speaks very well for the hobby.

I finally got to meet Vern, Gleda and Betty ESTES. They are simply the nicest people ever. Vern and Gleda signed my very first rocket: a Goblin. My Dad built this for me when I was 6, and it this had to have been my favorite moment of NARAM 50.

On Tuesday night, I had a great time at the Cannon auction. I came loaded for bear and was able to purchase a number of vintage and foreign motors, plus a vintage Czech ASTRA kit. I am still very pleased.

Even though I was only able to attend for two days, I had a great time, and have many wonderful memories.

Phred

Royatl
08-04-2008, 09:53 AM
On Tuesday night, I had a great time at the Cannon auction. I came loaded for bear and was able to purchase a number of vintage and foreign motors, plus a vintage Czech ASTRA kit. I am still very pleased.

Phred

Ah, so you're the one that won that. Where did that one come from? I had handed mine over to Carl on Sunday night (minus the ADAST motors, of course).

It looked like yours had some extra "stuff" in it. What was in there?

Rocketflyer
08-04-2008, 11:10 AM
I missed the ORR, and was only able to attend Sunday afternoon throught Tuesday night.
I had a great time flying vintage model rockets. These were all models that were built in the 1960's and early 1970's.... all except my Model Missiles Arcon, wheich flew like a champ.

I had a great time hanging out with Sandman at the field (Thanks for the table space and the shade buddy!!). I sold about 1/2 of the vintage motors I brought along, and a pile of decals too. Thanks to all who purchased from me.

I also had a great time putting faces to all of the newsgroup and email names that I have corresponded with over the years. (including the rocketdoctor himself!!) It was a lot like meeting old frineds.

I realy enjoyed hob-nobbing with manufacturers. Everyone was universally friendly, which I believe speaks very well for the hobby.

I finally got to meet Vern, Gleda and Betty ESTES. They are simply the nicest people ever. Vern and Gleda signed my very first rocket: a Goblin. My Dad built this for me when I was 6, and it this had to have been my favorite moment of NARAM 50.

Even though I was only able to attend for two days, I had a great time, and have many wonderful memories.

Phred

Well Said, Phred! I too got to meet some of you out there, RD, Initiator, Shredvector, Sandman, and of course Carl and Sheryl, Vern and Gleda . What wonderful folks.
Ya Shred , way too much dining for me too!

Phred
08-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Shread's quote: "I bid 22 dollars!!"

Yeah, the ASTRA by IGRA (looks like an ASTRON MARK, with a 24mm OD body tube) , with 6 ADAST motors included AND a Russian 'shotgun shell' motor. The casing is literally a shotgun shell.
I have to do more research on that....

I have no idea where the kit came from, but it sure is neat!! Neither the motors nor the kit are dated but my guesstimate is late 1960'3, early 1970's.

I had so many great conversations with so many rocketeers, especially YORFers. Scott and I had a great discussion of ALPS printer tips and tricks.

Phred

kurtschachner
08-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Scott and I had a great discussion of ALPS printer tips and tricks.

Phred

Oooh, can we talk about this too? I'll start a thread in the Building Techniques section, if you are interested in contributing.

Royatl
08-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Shread's quote: "I bid 22 dollars!!"

Yeah, the ASTRA by IGRA (looks like an ASTRON MARK, with a 24mm OD body tube) , with 6 ADAST motors included AND a Russian 'shotgun shell' motor. The casing is literally a shotgun shell.
I have to do more research on that....

I have no idea where the kit came from, but it sure is neat!! Neither the motors nor the kit are dated but my guesstimate is late 1960'3, early 1970's.

I had so many great conversations with so many rocketeers, especially YORFers. Scott and I had a great discussion of ALPS printer tips and tricks.

Phred

it is from at the latest, May 1966, because apparently they all came over from people attending the first FAI rocket contest in Dubnica, Czechoslovakia. I think that would be the Stines, the Estes (and Betty?), the Piesters, J. Talley Guill, and Jim Kukowski, maybe the Barrowmans. Mine came from Jim Kukowski (i got it at the NARAM-47 auction three years ago), and Lee Piester immediately recognised it and stopped me in the lobby last week to ask where I got it!

How lucky that you got six motors! If I had gotten six I would've fired at least one of them!

Gus
08-04-2008, 08:43 PM
I just want to thank Ken (Rocket Doctor) for all he contributed to this year's NARAM.

The Golden Scouts were a fantastic idea, endorsed by rocketeers all over the country, and Semroc's implementation of it was masterfully done. Thankyou both for such a wonderful way to honor the Estes, and the hobby.

Ken's speech and presentations to Vern, Gleda, and Betty Estes at the Tuesday picnic were absolutely beautiful. Truly heartfelt sentiments delivered on behalf of all of us who benefited from all they've done, and continue to do, for the hobby. I don't think anyone could have honored them more with what they said than Ken did on behalf of all of us. And the presentation rockets were perfect. Thanks, Ken.

And another big thank you for building and donating the wonderful upscale Golden Scout to the auction ( just like the one you presented to Gleda) which Vern, Gleda, and Betty all signed. It was a wonderful thing to donate in support of the NAR and I'm thrilled to have been able to win it at the auction.

Finally, running into you and the Estes underneath the Enterprise at Udvar-Hazy on Friday was a very special treat. Learning about your next project, in that particular room, was a real honor. Please consider me donator #1 on the project, which I'm sure you'll roll out to the rest of the rocketry community soon. And I have every confidence it will be just as successful and worthwhile as your NARAM 50 efforts were.

Ken, again, thank you so much for all you did for all of us to make this a truly special 50th anninversary of the NAR.

JRThro
08-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Finally, running into you and the Estes underneath the Enterprise at Udvar-Hazy on Friday was a very special treat. Learning about your next project, in that particular room, was a real honor. Please consider me donator #1 on the project, which I'm sure you'll roll out to the rest of the rocketry community soon. And I have every confidence it will be just as successful and worthwhile as your NARAM 50 efforts were.

Ken, again, thank you so much for all you did for all of us to make this a truly special 50th anninversary of the NAR.
I agree with everything Gus said in his post.

Ken, care to share any hints about Ken's next project?
;)

Phred
08-05-2008, 12:48 PM
I have created a thread about the Czech ASTRA kit so we can keep this one on topic:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=3658

Phred

Rocket Doctor
08-06-2008, 04:15 PM
I just want to thank Ken (Rocket Doctor) for all he contributed to this year's NARAM.

The Golden Scouts were a fantastic idea, endorsed by rocketeers all over the country, and Semroc's implementation of it was masterfully done. Thankyou both for such a wonderful way to honor the Estes, and the hobby.

Ken's speech and presentations to Vern, Gleda, and Betty Estes at the Tuesday picnic were absolutely beautiful. Truly heartfelt sentiments delivered on behalf of all of us who benefited from all they've done, and continue to do, for the hobby. I don't think anyone could have honored them more with what they said than Ken did on behalf of all of us. And the presentation rockets were perfect. Thanks, Ken.

And another big thank you for building and donating the wonderful upscale Golden Scout to the auction ( just like the one you presented to Gleda) which Vern, Gleda, and Betty all signed. It was a wonderful thing to donate in support of the NAR and I'm thrilled to have been able to win it at the auction.

Steve

I want to Thank You for your kind words, something I have been working on for quite some time in addition to the Golden Scout celebration.

It was only fitting to Honor Vern, Gleda and Betty Estes on their 50th anniversary in a special way.

The Estes' were very excited about the Golden Scout/Sky Of Gold celebration and they also Thank everyone who participated in the celebration.

Vern, Gleda, betty, Carl, Cheryl, Diana and myself were at the Garber facility in Maryland on Wednesday (day off) to view the Stine collection. I took photos as well as Vern and Carl of the collection, all housed in a temperature controlled room.

We spoke to several curator's about the collection and the possibility of having model rockets on display at the Udvar-Hazy facility.

I would like to announce here my next project, as most of you might know, I have been in contact with the Smithsonian for several months now, the visit to the restoration facility and to the Udvar-Hazy facility is the first step in what we would like to do next.

Vern and I have teamed up to pursue a model rocket display there, the projected time frame would be two years away. We need to get all the facts and figures to move this project along , from the beginning research, the price tag would be around $50,000.

Our next step would be to look into donations from companies and individuals to make this vision a reality as was the Golden Scout celebration. It can be done, lots of work will be needed, but, it can be done.

I brought this topic up at the town hall meeting, the NAR's position was that information was needed, so, we started the research process.

There was a discussion that any model rocket info should be put onto DVD's, that is fine, but, we also need the actual materials as well.

Why do we have museums, not to go to watch a movie, but, to see the actual object.

This can be a combined media project, actual items on display , and for those who cannot get to see the items, it can be viewed on DVD's as well.

Let's not shoot down my idea before we can fully research it and come to a mutual agreement.

Now, getting back to the auction, I am glad that you were the winning bidder, I didn't know who won, lbut, Thanks for your support by placing the winning bid.

Steve, Thanks again for your support of the Golden Scout celebration, the Auction and model rocketry.

Thanks and best wishes,
Ken
"Rocket Doctor"

Rocket Doctor
08-06-2008, 04:29 PM
I guess most everyone is back from NARAM, but, i just got back today. It started out on Friday July 25th from SC to Manassas, then off to east Haven CT for a wedding on the weekend, with a brief stop over in Germantown MD the n off to visit Carl, Cheryl and Bruce at sEmroc overnight, then it was off again for SC, with a total of 2100 miles traveled.

When I get unpacked and settled down, I will give a day by day accounting of NARAM for those who couldn't make it, it was truly fantastic.

SEL
08-17-2008, 11:46 PM
<snip>..

Phred

I know I'm coming into this thread a bit late, BUT I just had to chime in here. I picked up a few motors at NARAM too, mostly from Phred: 2 AVI mini-B's (B3-5 green lable, B3-3 black lable) and a EstesB4-0(P) dated 5/30/68. Also won a 3 pack of Adast motors at the auction. A bit different from the others that have been posted here in that they do not have labels, but the end caps are printed. A little haggeling with Phred after the auction got me 2 Ravenna Rocket Research motors: a 22mm F152-0 all surface burner (!!!!) and a 22mm G116-8. Thanks again , Phred!

I also won a 1967 Flight Systems catalogue. Little bit of irony here: I went cross country from Portland, OR to Manassas, VA to buy a catalogue that , at one time, anyway, belonged to a guy who lived ~100 miles away from me in Puyallup, WA.

I'll post pics (and take measurments for you, Terry) as soon as I take care of some computer problems later this week.

Sean

Ltvscout
08-18-2008, 06:41 AM
I also won a 1967 Flight Systems catalogue.
Mmmm, catalog scans. :D

SEL
08-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Mmmm, catalog scans. :D

I think this one is up on the Ninfinger site.

S.

Ltvscout
08-19-2008, 08:52 PM
I think this one is up on the Ninfinger site.

S.
Ah, ok. Nevermind! :D