PDA

View Full Version : Paint Stripper for Plastic Nose Cone?

cas2047
08-13-2008, 10:21 AM
I have been building the Estes Interceptor E off and on for a while now. I've got it painted and ready for decals except I've had an ongoing battle with the nose cone.

I used Painters Touch Gloss white on it. However every time I paint the nose cone it comes out with a surface that is gritty, almost like small pieces of sand embedded in the paint. I used two different cans of gloss white (both purchased at the same time). I've come to the conculsion that it must have been a bad batch of paint.

The body was painted with a different can and that came out fine.

Question - Does anyone know of any kind of paint stripper I can use on the plastic nose cone without melting it? I've painted it four different times now and I'm losing the details due to paint fill-in so I'd just like to strip it all off and start over.

Solomoriah
08-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Did you prime it first?

scigs30
08-13-2008, 11:36 AM
Put it in some purple power from Walmart, great stuff. I have used it many times on plastic models. There are other things as well, windex, brake fluid, oven cleaner, but the purple power degreaser works great.

cas2047
08-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Did you prime it first?

I sure did, and sanded down and re-primed. It's the actual paint that is defective. Maybe a bad batch or maybe it got frozen somewhere along the line or something.

cas2047
08-13-2008, 11:47 AM
Put it in some purple power from Walmart, great stuff. I have used it many times on plastic models. There are other things as well, windex, brake fluid, oven cleaner, but the purple power degreaser works great.

I think I have that stuff in the garage. I use it to clean the tires and rims on my truck. I had never thought of using it as a paint remover though.

LeeR
08-15-2008, 09:17 PM

I'll have to try this Purple Power. But another method that works well is to wet sand with 600 or finer sandpaper. This works really well if you plan to use the same paint, which I assume you do -- just a different can of the same color.

Be sure to heavily flood with water, so you do not load the paper, and then scratch the plastic, or dig into the paint.

I've got a utility sink in my shop, so I tend to wet sand if I have any painting issues.

cas2047
08-16-2008, 08:26 AM
Well I tried the purple stuff and that didn't do much for me so I switched to a can of citris based solvent. I tested it on a plastic nose cone first and found that it will melt plastic if you leave it on too long so I carefully applied it to the painted cone and basically rubbed off a layer or two of paint. Then I rinsed the cone off.

The citris solvent did about the same thing that some sanding would do. It didn't help me with my original problem which was to try and clear out the paint from the detail lines, some of which are a little hard to see now because of all the painting.

I do have a can of paint stripper in the basement but I don't want to use it because right on the can it says it will eat plastic.

I guess I will just have to do some more sanding and deal with the less than crisp detail on the heavily painted nose cone.

MarkB.
08-16-2008, 09:10 AM
Any of the citrus cleaners like Simple Green, Purple Power or others will remove the paint. Submerge the part over night and you should be able to rub off the paint with your finger the next morning. You may have to repeat for multiple layers of paint, but it does work. I have used it on plastic models, nose cones of various types and even vacuform fins.

Use an old toothbrush on the detail lines and give it a soapy rinse when your done.

If that doesn't work try some Blytch-Whyte (sp?) white-wall cleaner. If that doesn't work, get out the sandpaper.

foose4string
08-16-2008, 08:05 PM
This doesn't answer your question, but I've gotten bad batches of Rustoleum gloss white as well. Two different cans purchased several months apart. Came out just as you described...it would spit very small chunks of solid paint onto the model, ruining the finish. I avoid Rustoleum white now.

cas2047
08-16-2008, 10:41 PM
Well SCIGS30 and MARKB when your right your right. I went back and tried it again with the purple stuff "Super Clean"

I mixed 2 parts purple to one part water in a large ziplock baggie. I then put in the cone and went about my business for the day, repairing and replacing some sections of gutters on the house.

Every couple of hours I would pull the cone out and hit it with a soft bristle brush. Now the paint is gone, and I mean all the paint. It's clean right down to actual plastic, and the plastic itself is just fine.

For a nosecone like the one that comes with the Interceptor this was a great way to get the paint off and the detail back.

Thanks for the great tip!

cas2047
08-16-2008, 10:45 PM
This doesn't answer your question, but I've gotten bad batches of Rustoleum gloss white as well. Two different cans purchased several months apart. Came out just as you described...it would spit very small chunks of solid paint onto the model, ruining the finish. I avoid Rustoleum white now.

Yes that sure does sound like we had the same problem. I'm going to stay away from the gloss white also. It's just not worth taking the risk of that happening again.

LeeR
08-23-2008, 10:21 PM

Rustoleum seems to be notorious for this. I have had better luck with their "Pro" line, which are taller spray cans. I've found these at Walmart.

Lately I've been using Duplicolor for bright primary colors like yellow and orange, and I'm pretty happy so far. I am not sure if they have a decent white, but that's my next test.

snuggles
08-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Brake fluid and oven cleaner work well, a little stinky, but not too bad.
Use a toothbrush in the panel lines and it comes out well.
Make sure to rinse the heck out of it and let it dry thoroughly (I wait a day or so).
It works for me.
My 2 cents....
Mark T