PDA

View Full Version : What rockets to you have in your collection? Lets see some pictures and lists!

mjstech
08-13-2008, 10:38 PM
I first started my hobby in rockety in 1992 or 1993. I can't remember which. I did fill out a flight card in 1993. (Yeah not as long ago as some of you old timers...I know)
It was my father, me, and my two younger brothers who built them back then. I was only 11 or 12 at the time, and enjoyed building and flying our rockets. My father even kept the kits we had built and some we even flown all these years. I knew he kept them even with 3 moves. I had him ship me out the rockets about 3 months ago, and I repaired some of the broken fins from shipping.
One day back in 2003 I was bored and had some extra money that was just burning a hole in my pocket so I did some research and found hobbylinc to get some rockets. I got the Mean Machine (which my Dad wouldn't buy at the time) and some others I liked. I built a few rockets a few days after the order arrived, but then got busy and packed them away in the closet.
About two months ago I had just finished going to Devry Univerity here in Phoenix, AZ and since I had some time in the afternoons I pulled out the box of what I ordered and started to finish and paint the rest of the lot. I flew most of the ones I got in 2003 with my friends and their kids, along with some other kids in the park.
I ended up loosing my Mean Machine due to it flying over the highway, and out of sight. :( (This rocket I built some time in 2004 but didn't prime and paint 'til this Summer so it was sad to see it fly away)
I also lost a Sizzler after I punched it with a C6-5.
I have a Wacky Wiggler that I didn't put enough wadding in, so it burned the nylon.
I flew my Big Daddy with a C11 motor in it which was not enough... it plopped to the ground and then the delay fired to release the parachute after the hard landing (bent tube near nose cone, fins-no damage).
I have more rockets in my collection (22 or 23 at the moment) and have 5 shipping from hobbylinc again.... Replacement Mean Machine and Sizzler along with Eliminator-E, Executioner-E, and Bandito. I also will be getting (in transit) a replacment Wacky Wiggler, along with a Mongoose.
My last one (for now I hope) I have the parts ordered from Uncle Mikes Rocket Shack will be 7.5' or 9' with BT-80 tubes, pointed plastic nose cone, it will fly with 4 x E motors, and have a 32" chute. I don't know what color I'll paint or the name I'll give it yet.
Anyway that's my story, I will make a list of my collection soon and will also get some pictures online sometime this week or next.
I use www.imageshack.us (free up to 1.5mb filesize) to host my pictures.

So what is your history in the hobby?
How many rockets do you have? List them?
Let see some pictures too!

Mark S. in Glendale, AZ

Eagle3
08-14-2008, 08:51 AM
Here's a couple of old buried threads to get you started. :D

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=837
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=1431

TXFergie
08-14-2008, 05:50 PM
It may be cheating, but here is a posting from TRF that I put up a month or so ago. I will try to get the names of everything and edit it into this post. So far, I have about 30 on display and about 25 more to build. I am about 50% done on my latest rocket, the Interceptor - E. I am working on the last two fins then will work on finishing up the sanding on the fins. I am still undecided about the paint scheme though. We'll see.......

Once I get a total list of all my rockets, I will add them to this post.....

Rick

http://rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=46781&highlight=fleet

Edit: Attached is a list of my current rockets. I just finished the list about 10 minutes ago.

Initiator001
08-14-2008, 08:59 PM
This is where Scott Branche (Rokitflite) posts pictures of his unbuilt models. ;)

As for me, I only have around 900 unbuilt kits. I don't know for sure as my hard drive crashed ten years ago with my list of kits. I had no backup so I had to recreate my list using a copy that was nearly a year out-of-date at the time.

Nowadays, I'll be searching for a specific kit and find a different one and think, "I don't remember having this kit". :rolleyes:

Bob

Royatl
08-14-2008, 09:00 PM
This is where Scott Branche (Rokitflite) posts pictures of his unbuilt models. ;)

As for me, I only have around 900 unbuilt kits.

Bob

Wow, that makes me feel *much* better about my 170+ unbuilt kits!

Les
08-14-2008, 10:09 PM
I posted on TRF pix of my collection from my 10 year anniversary as a BAR.
The thread is located at
http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=45796

Attached is a txt list of my rockets (only the built ones). I tried to keep track of how many times each one has been launched, the year it was completed, the manufacturer, and a brief description to help this aged mind keep track of which rocket is which.

I "only" have a little over 200 unbuilt kits. My wife thinks I have too many built/unbuilt kits as is. I could not imagine her reaction if I had 900! :eek:

Bob Kaplow
08-14-2008, 10:37 PM
I'm in the same category as Bob. If you count allthe PMC kits, I'm somewhere around a thousand, give or take a couple hundred.

*IF* I built one a week and NEVER bought another, I'd still probably be dead before I run out.

Leo
08-15-2008, 01:53 AM
Here (http://www.leo.nutz.de/Rockets.php) are the ones I have, atleast those that are documented. Most of them are from the 80's.

pantherjon
08-15-2008, 06:49 AM
I haven't done a complete inventory, and I have added a few since these pictures were taken, but my kits take up one of the bedrooms of my house!:lol:
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t21/Pantherjon/Addiction002.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t21/Pantherjon/Addiction003.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t21/Pantherjon/Addiction004.jpg

JRThro
08-15-2008, 07:54 AM

As for me, I only have around 900 unbuilt kits. I don't know for sure as my hard drive crashed ten years ago with my list of kits. I had no backup so I had to recreate my list using a copy that was nearly a year out-of-date at the time.

Nowadays, I'll be searching for a specific kit and find a different one and think, "I don't remember having this kit". :rolleyes:

Bob
Bob,

If you think you have around 900 kits but don't really know for sure, you can be sure you have more than 900.
:eek: ;)

I think the last time rokitflite posted pics of his collection, his estimate of how many kits he had was low by around 200. Or he said he had a couple of hundred that weren't in the pictures. Or something like that. Anyway, he has a lot of unbuilt kits.

As for myself, I probably have between 30 and 40 unbuilt kits. And that's after selling off most of my collection a year or two ago.

Bob Thomas
08-15-2008, 11:11 PM
It is uncanny that just the other day my wife refused to believe that there were others so passionate about model rocketry. She believes I have more "stuff" than anyone. I made her come and view the post and pictures!!!!!

I especially thank Buzz for the archive links - when I first saw them, I had a paltry fleet of about a dozen. Now grown to almost 50 (two incomplete) and in the area of a hundred plus (many stashed -hidden from my mom, um..er.., I mean my wife).

Many times I tried to put together parts kits like Al (Green Dragon) but luckily I get distracted and actually build the clone instead.

I Keep buildin'em - gotta get out and Fly'em . Got about a score of virgins!

Green Dragon
08-16-2008, 01:14 AM
[QUOTE=pantherjon]I haven't done a complete inventory, and I have added a few since these pictures were taken, but my kits take up one of the bedrooms of my house!:lol:
QUOTE]

Do you have ANY idea how twisted these photos are ?

not only a spare bedroom ( I'm Jealous !! ) , but it's CLEAN ... and... the kits are neatly arranged and stacked, too...

are we sure this guy is one of us ? or an imposter ?

:P

~ AL

Bob Kaplow
08-16-2008, 08:13 AM
I'll have to take and post some shots of my basement. It's a HUGE mess!

cas2047
08-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Here (http://www.leo.nutz.de/Rockets.php) are the ones I have, atleast those that are documented. Most of them are from the 80's.

Leo I really like the way you have your collection catalogued. It really makes it easy and fun to view the contents.

Leo
08-16-2008, 12:39 PM
Leo I really like the way you have your collection catalogued. It really makes it easy and fun to view the contents.

You're welcome. That's why it's there to help out others. Often people ask for scans which, if possible, I gladly oblige.

Eagle3
08-17-2008, 02:38 PM
A big problem for me lately is I'm not building many of the kits I buy, I scratch build clones or upscales. :rolleyes: I'm also finding it harder and harder to FnF, prime, and paint. The other day I took an inventory of stuff waiting for the "paint shop" and it's sitting around 20-25. :(

LeeR
08-17-2008, 09:54 PM
I just took a look at my inventory -- I've got 66 unbuilt kits. Nine of these are Saturns! I've got 4 of the Vs from Estes, 3 1Bs from Estes, an Apogee 1B, and a Semroc 1B. I also have an Estes Saturn V that is near to getting paint, a build I started 10 years ago! I kind of got distracted with other projects, and I did HPR for years, and the model rockets sat gathering dust.

Looks like it's time to order more, I feel now that my collection is so lacking comapred to some of you.

I do keep my inventory list in Excel, so I can track price, but mostly because I have the kits in big Rubbermaid totes, and I sometimes forget exactly what I have.

I'll have to take pictures of my basement shop. It is mostly a wood shop that has rocketry benches and an airbrush booth at the end. I've got a radial arm saw, table saw, jointer/planer, planer, two band saws (14" and 10" tableto -- ideal for rocketry), drill press, router table, disk/drum sander, oscillating spindle sander, and dozens of power tools, both air and electric powered. One of the best things I put in my shop is a deep utility sink, for cleanup, and also nice for wet sanding. My wife vetoed the installation of a urinal when we finished the basement, since their is a bathroom just outside the shop door, but it may be revisited when I tear into the kids playroom to expand the shop (their grown and gone, so it should become more shop space!)

Ltvscout
08-17-2008, 10:13 PM
I'll have to take and post some shots of my basement. It's a HUGE mess!
Sounds like you and I are in the same boat, Bob. ;)

lurker01
08-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Bob,

If you think you have around 900 kits but don't really know for sure, you can be sure you have more than 900.
:eek: ;)

I think the last time rokitflite posted pics of his collection, his estimate of how many kits he had was low by around 200. Or he said he had a couple of hundred that weren't in the pictures. Or something like that. Anyway, he has a lot of unbuilt kits.

As for myself, I probably have between 30 and 40 unbuilt kits. And that's after selling off most of my collection a year or two ago.

JRthro,

Well what would the error be if say the collectioed were 2200 - 2300 as of 3 years ago, and no inventory taken since? Oh, and not 2200 MPC kits on pallets, but kits spanning 1959 ~ 1975 ( Estes, Centuri, FSI, MPC, MRC, COX, and misc. manufactures).

No I don't own it, but I know the guy who does. He doesn't brag about it like so many others, so I will brag for him. I am trying to get him to take photos but he has his reasons for not being so public about his collection.

Robert

Ltvscout
08-18-2008, 10:58 AM
JRthro,

Well what would the error be if say the collectioed were 2200 - 2300 as of 3 years ago, and no inventory taken since? Oh, and not 2200 MPC kits on pallets, but kits spanning 1959 ~ 1975 ( Estes, Centuri, FSI, MPC, MRC, COX, and misc. manufactures).

No I don't own it, but I know the guy who does. He doesn't brag about it like so many others, so I will brag for him. I am trying to get him to take photos but he has his reasons for not being so public about his collection.

Robert
Robert,

Are you talking about Mack Yocum or Tim Joyce?

Arley Davis
08-18-2008, 01:00 PM
I also have about 1,000 kits in my collection in several trunks and tubs except for the Mid and High power rockets, about 40 are clones most are in kit form and about 10 scratgh built. Of this I have over 100 built. As for when I stated was as a kid in the late 60’s and early 70’s. But stopped when I started dating, then when my daughter needed a rocket for her seventh grade science class I become a BAR, and soon got into High Power as will.

Here is a Microsoft Excel list part 1 of what I own, I have them in alphabetical order.

# ROCKET NAME
1 Astron Space Plan
1 Astron Spaceman
1 Astron Falcon
1 Astron Sprite
1 Astron Invader
1 Astron Star Blazer
1 Astron Starlight
1 Astron Trident
1 Astron Nighthawk
2 Alpha
1 Alpha III
1 Alpha IV (40th Anniversary Version)
1 Andromeda
1 Alien Invader
1 Astrocam 110
1 Alien Explorer
1 Attack Craft Orion
1 Astron Outlaw from Launch. S.S.
1 Air Show Launch Set
1 Air Power Action Hero
1 Asteroid Huntter
1 Astrovision
2 Maxi Alpha 3 (RR)
1 Advanced Target Drone (Need Decals)
1 Aries S.S.T.
1 Astro
1 Arrow
2 Argosy
2 Alien Space Probe
1 America
1 A.R.V. Condor
2 Astro Sat LSX
1 The Amazing Point
1 Alien Scoutship Flying Saucer
1 Aries
1 Aurora
1 Area 51, UFO Flying Saucer S.S.
2 A.C.M.E. Spitfire
1 Alien8
1 Asp-1
1 Avenger
1 Anubis
1 Alien8
1 3X Upscaled Andromeda
1 Alien With An Attitude

1 Mini-Bertha
1 Bandito
1 Mini-Bomarc
1 Birdie
5 Baby Bertha
1 Blue Ninja
2 Battlestar Galactica Laser Torpedo
1 Blue Bird Zero
1 Boeing A.L.C.M. Cruise Missile
1 The Bat
1 Black Diamond from Launch. S.S.
1 Beta Tron (Two in one kit)
1 Big Bertha (the original)
1 Big Bertha (later version)
1 Super Big Bertha
1 Blue Storm
3 Black Hawk
2 Blu-97B
2 Bandit
2 Bail Out!
2 Broadsword
2 Banshee
2 Big Dawg
1 Big Daddy
1 Big Daddy (Re-Designed)
2 Super Big Bertha (RR)
1 B. R. Earth Forces Starfighter
1 B. R. Draconian Marauder
2 Big Rage
2 Big Betty
1 Borealis
1 BoB "Ballistic or Bust"
1 Birdie Clone (Red)
1 Birdie Clone (Blue)
1 Battle Axe
1 Black Brent
1 Blur-1
1 Blur-2
1 Bomarc

2 Mini-Cobra
1 Constellation
1 Cosmic Cobra
1 CC Express
2 Colonial Viper (Battlestar Galactica)
1 Comanche - 3
1 Cruise Missile
1 Crusader Swing-Wing
1 Converter
1 Corsair
3 Cork Screw
1 Chrome Domes - Silver Series
2 Chrome Domes - Gold Series
2 Commander
1 Cyclone
1 Corona
1 Corona + Corona 2 Booster
1 Centaurus
1 Cirrus Dart

1 Der Red Max
1 Drifter
2 Deluxe Super Shot Screw Machine
1 Dune (The Guild Heighliner)
1 Delta Wedge
1 Der V-3
1 D.A.R.T. D.A.R.T. (Need Decals)
2 Deep Space Transport
1 Dark Star
1 Drag 'On
1 Dagger
1 Death Star
2 Darth Vader's Tie Fighter
1 Dragonite
2 The Dude
2 DC-Y Space Clipper
1 Dynamic Carrier
2 Deuce's Wild!
2 The Drake
2 Decafeinator
1 DesertFox

1 Estes Starliner
3 Epis. I RTF Trade F. Battleship
2 Epis. I RTF Sith Infiltrator
2 Epis. I RTF Naboo Royal Starship
1 Epis. I RTF Naboo Fighter
2 Epis. I RTF Trade F. Droid Fighter
2 Epis. I RTF Naboo Royal Starship
2 Epis. I RTF Naboo Fighter S. S.
3 Epis. I RTF T. F. Droid Fighter S.S.
2 Epis. I RTF Naboo Fighter S. S.
2 Epis. I RTF R2-D2 Starter Set
1 Exocet (Need PNC-55 Nose Cone)
1 Echo
1 Eliminator
1 Executioner
2 Explorer
1 Explorer Aquarius
1 EggsCaliber
2 Exo-Skell
1 Echostar
1 Eagle
1 Equinox
1 Evil Knievel Sky Cycle
1 E.S.S. Raven
1 Evader Cruise Missile
1 Elite
3 Expresso
1 Enforcer
1 Excalibur II
1 Explorer 1
1 Ecee
1 Egglofter Express

1 Fire Hawk
1 Firestreak SST
1 Freaky Flyer
1 F-61 Starfighter
1 Falcon Commander
1 Fox Fire
2 Fire Streak
2 F-22 Air Superiority Fighter
2 Flash
1 Fat Boy
1 Funny Car Racer - (Blue/White)
1 Funny Car Racer - (Orange/Red)
1 Funny Car Racer - (Yellow/Black)
1 Flying Jenny (Need BNC 20A Nose cone)
1 Fireflash (Need Decals)
1 F-16 Fighter
1 F-104 Starfighter (Missing Parts)
1 5J Israeli Mirage
2 The Flash
1 Force 5
2 FarScape
1 Flying Saucer-3"Florescent Orange
1 Flying Saucer - 6" U.S. Air Force
1 Flying Saucer - 7.25 Gold
1 Flying Saucer - 9" Texas Special
1 Flying Saucer- 10.25 Stars $ Stripes
1 Flying Saucer - 12" Silver
1 Flying Saucer - 6" Starship Earth
1 Flying Saucer - 2.25 Smiley Face
1 Flying Saucer - 4" Smiley Face
1 Flying Saucer - 6" Union Jack
1 Flying Saucer - 6" Flames
1 Flying Cone - 4.5 Stars $ Stripes
1 Fire Fly
1 Fake-Wolf FW-290
1 F-32 Avenger
2 Flying Spider
1 F2H4 Banshee
1 Fat Boy
1 Ultimate Fat Boy

1 Goblin
3 Gnome
1 Gyroc
1 Galactic Pirates Excalibur
1 Galactic Pirates Dragonship 7
1 Goliath from Mega Maxx starter set
2 Galactic Taxi
1 Geo Sat LV
1 Green Mantis
1 Gear' Zilla
1 GBU-24 Paveway III
1 Gray Hawk
1 Gemini DC
1 Guardian
1 Groove Tube
1 Galileo
1 Gemini-Titan
1 G-75 Carrier
1 G-200 Carrier
1 Gyro Romo
1 The Gnat
1 Galactic Marauder

1 Honest John
1 Hyperion
1 Hyper X
1 Hydrogen Fuel Rocket
1 Halley's Tail
1 Hornet
2 Honest John (RR)
1 HI-Flier
1 Helio-Copter
1 Hummingbird (Needs Decals)
2 HL-20 Lifting Body
1 Hourglass Rocket -Florescent Red
1 Hornet
1 Hydra VII
1 High Rotor I

1 Interceptor
1 Interceptor E
1 Interceptor II
1 IRIS
1 Intruder (RediRoc)
1 Italian Sea Killer
1 Israeli Gabriel (No Decals)
3 Intruder
2 Ion Pulsar
1 Icarus (nose cone missing)
1 Iron Man
1 Ice Storm
2 Interceptor G
1 Initiator
1 IBIS
1 I.P.F.I. Strikeship "Lightninig"
1 IO (Candy)
1 Intruder

1 Jinx
1 Javelin
1 Jayhawk
1 John's Scratch Built

1 Klingon Battle Cruiser (Star Trek)
1 King Blobbo

2 Little Joe II
2 Lumina
1 Laser
2 Liquidator
2 Long Shot
1 Laser-X Space Probe
1 Laser-X Space Probe
1 Lil-Ivan
1 Lightning
1 Land Viper
2 Lunar Patrol
2 Long OverDue
1 The Liberator
1 Lunar Lander Vehicle 201
2 Leduc 22
2 Little Lunar Express

2 Mark II
1 Mars Snooper
1 Mars Lander
1 Mosquito
1 Mini-BruteCombo Javelin & Super Flea
1 Mini Mean Machine
2 Micron
2 Meanie
1 Mini Mars Lander
1 Mini Meanie
2 Mean Machine
1 Mean Machine (RR)
1 Maxi-Streak
1 Mini Space Hauler & Space Bus
1 Mini Space Hauler & Space Bus (ND)
1 Mighty Mites Nitro Launch Set
1 Mini Marz Lander
1 Mighty Mites Blitz & Sizzler
1 Moondog
1 Mighty Mites Fury & Torque
1 Mighty Mites Outlaw Starter Set
1 Mighty Mites Maverick & Harpoon
2 Mighty Mites Sliver & Ninja
1 Mini Shark Attack & Sting Ray
1 Mini Streak & Slash Race Set
1 Mercury Redstone
1 Manta Bomber
1 Mars Snooper (Collectors Series)
1 Maxi-Force
2 Maniac
1 Mercury Atlas
1 Mach 12
1 Mercury Redstone
1 Metalizer
1 Monarch
1 Menace
2 Meteor Masher
1 McKibbin's Special
1 Mach 10
1 Mini-Dactyl
1 Moonraker
1 Moonraker
1 M2Q2 Lifting Body
1 MM Little Joe II
2 MM Space Fighter & Alien UFO
1 MM Saturn V & Sp. Shuttle Orbiter
1 MM Space Fighter & Alien UFO
1 MM Raw Fusion & Vector 1
1 MM Blackbird & Tomahawk C. M.
1 MM Intergalactic Man of Space
1 MM Ulysses
1 MM Just Past Due
1 MM Diminutive Deuce!
1 MM TOG
1 MM Crayon (Red)
1 MM Crayon (Forest Green)
1 MM Interloper
1 Mercury Redstone
1 Maverick
2 Moondance
1 Mark !!
1 MOM - Multi Operation Missile
1 Martian Patrol
1 Monocopter 24
1 Missile Man
1 Minie Magg (Arley's Dragon)
1 Minie Magg (Candy Looney Tune)
1 Mars Lander (2X Upscaled)

1 Ninja
3 No. 2 Estes Sky Writer
1 Nova Scout Ship
1 Nebulon Warrior
1 Nova Payloader
2 Nimbus
2 National Aerospace Plane
1 Super Nova Payloader
1 Nemesis
2 Night Wing
1 Nimbus
1 Nike-K
1 Night S Whisper
1 Norad

1 Orbital Transport (Limited Edition)
1 Orbital Interceptor
1 Omloid
4 Outlander
1 Orbital Transport Laboratory
1 Orion
1 The Odyssey (with lighting)
1 OMG Roanoke
1 Onyx (Year of the Dragon)
1 Onyx (Candy's Memorial)

Here is a couple pictures of my rockets!

Arley Davis
08-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Here is a Microsoft Excel list part 2 of what I have!

# ROCKET NAME
1 Patriot (Revolutionary Series)
1 Pegasus
1 Prime Number Explorer
1 mini Patriot
1 Pershing-1A (Needs Decals)
1 Puma
1 Pathfinder
1 Pop Fly
1 Photon Disrupter II
1 Patriot
1 Patriot
1 Pegasus
1 Porta-Pot Shot
1 Prowler
2 Polaris
1 Pulsar
1 Penetrator
1 Payload
2 Pheord X150
1 P.T.S. Shaman
1 Pterodactyl
1 Pterodactyl JR
1 Tiny Pterodactyl
1 Phantom
1 Praying Mantis

2 Quark
1 Quasar
1 QE-Z Payloader
1 QE-Z Payloader

1 Red Alert
1 R2-D2 (First Print)
1 R2-D2 (15 Anniversary Series)
1 Recon RTF Starter Set
2 R2-D2 Plastic RTF Starter Set
1 Rain Maker
1 Recruiter
1 Rascal
1 Red Menace
1 Rampage
3 Renegade
2 Raider (RediRoc)
1 R2-D2 (New Plastic rocket)
1 Rattler-7
# ROCKET NAME
1 Red-Eye
2 Razor
2 Rock Star
1 Red Baron Boost Glider
1 Rotating Space Station

1 Streak
1 Star Blazer
1 Star Dart
1 Star Seeker (Mini TRI PAK)
1 S.C.R.A.M. (Mini TRI PAK)
1 Sting Ray (Mini TRI PAK)
1 Scout III
2 Solar Warrior
1 Sky Dart
1 Scissor-Wing Transport
2 Scissor-Wing Transport (RR)
1 Starlab
1 Starship Enterprise
2 Space Shuttle
1 Solar Sailer
1 Storm Caster
1 Starship Vega
1 Space Transporter America
2 Space Probe
1 S.S. Cassiopeia
1 Soaring Eagle
1 Star Trek Starter Kit
1 Space Shuttle Columbia starter set
2 Super Shot starter set
1 Space Shuttle E2X starter set
1 Spitfire SSI from Mega Maxx S.S.
2 Snitch
1 Snapshot
1 Speed Freak RTF starter set
2 Space Station Aquarius
1 Starship Excalibur
1 Stealth Interceptor
1 SR-71 Blackbird (First Print)
1 Starhawk
1 Starbird
1 Saturn V
2 SDI Satellite
1 Strike Fighter
1 S.W.A.T.
1 Space Racer
2 Solar Sailer II
3 Surveyor
2 Saturn 1B
1 Super Neon
2 Solar Probe
1 Scrambler (Modified)
2 Scrambler
2 Skywinder
1 Shadow
1 SR-X (Inspired by Project Aurora)
1 Screaming Eagle
1 Sizzler
2 Silver Comet
2 Star Destroyer
1 Saturn V - (Anniversary Series)
2 Star Dart
1 Sizzler
3 Shuttle Xpress
2 Screamin Mimi
1 Screamin' Eagle Racing Car
1 Shrike Jet-Plane
1 SR-71 Blackbird
1 Starship Excalibur
1 Space Shuttle
1 Skylab
1 SST Shuttle
1 Scram-Jet
1 Satellite 65SL
1 S.S.V. Scorpion
1 Space 1999 Eagle Tran. Starter Set
1 Satellite Killer
1 Space Master (Needs Decals)
1 Seeker
1 Spin Fin
1 Super Cruiser
1 Space Shuttle Intrepid
1 Sonic Boom (Starter Set)
1 Skydive
1 Stealth Interceptor
1 Satellite Drone
1 Starship Antares
1 Starcruiser Warlock
1 Starfighter Scorpion
1 Star Load
1 Stingray - NSL Commemorative Kit
2 Stingray - Maelstrom kit
1 Scimitar Rocket - 8" White
1 Starfire
1 Spinnaker
1 Sp Arrow
1 Streak
1 SHX-15
1 Phoenix
1 Space Ranger
1 Silver Hawk
1 Swinger
1 Swinger
1 Sparrow
2 Space Racer
1 Shark Rocket
1 Spudnik
1 Six-Pack (Rugged Rocket)
1 Stovi
1 Star Fighter 152
1 SR-71 Blackbird Mid Power

1 220 Swift
1 Tie Fighter (First Print)
1 Transtar Carrier
2 Tornado
1 Titan III E
3 Trident II
2 Tomcat
1 Turbo Copter
1 Tie Fighter (15 Anniversary Series)
1 36 D Squared
1 Transwing Super Glider
1 Twister comes in Super Shot S.S.
1 Three Stage Ring Rocket
1 Taurus
1 Two-Bitz (Two Tiny Rockets)
2 Totally Tubular
1 Triton-X
1 Tomahawk SLCM Cruise Missile
1 Thunder
1 TriStar
2 TRES
3 Triple Threat - 3 UFO Saucers
2 Tri-Glide
1 Triskelion
1 Thing-a-ma-Jig
1 Thug
1 Thunder Chicken
1 The Sword

1 UFO Flying Saucer Starter Set
1 U.S.S. Atlantis
1 U.S.S. Pleiades
1 U.F.O. Invader
1 U.S.S. America
3 USS Enterprise NCC 1701-E S-S
3 USS Enterprise NCC 1701-E
2 U.S.S. Grissom
2 UFFO (Unid. Flying Foam Object)

1 Vindicator
1 Vindicator (Need Decals)
2 V-2 (RR)
1 Viking (the original)
3 Viking (later version)
2 V-2 (RR)
1 Voyager II
2 Super Vega
2 Venus Probe
3 Venom
1 Vulcan (Need Paper Prints)
1 Victor-V
1 Vector
1 Viking IV
1 Viking V
1 Viking I (Need Decals)
1 Viking II (Need Decals)
1 Viking III (Need Decals)
1 Vostok

1 Wolverine
1 Wizard
1 World Federation Star Probe
1 Wildfire
1 Wacky Wiggler
1 Wasp Glider
1 Warlok

1 X-15
2 X-Ray
1 X-Ray
2 X-Wing Fighter (First Print)
1 Maxi-Brute X-Wing Fighter (N. Decals)
3 X-Wing & Vader's Tie RTF S.Set
1 X-Flyers (twin pack)
2 Red Squadron RTF X-Wing Fighter
2 Red Squadron RTF X-Wing S. Set
1 X-15
1 Xarconian Destroyer
3 X-Prize (Lucky Seven)
2 X-Prize (Gauchito)
2 X-Prize (Canadian Arrow)
1 X-Prize (Rebicon)
1 X-Prize (Cosmos Mariner)
3 X-Prize (SpaceShipOne)
1 X-Prize (Thunderstar)
1 X-Prize (Eagle)
1 X-15
2 X-30 National Aerospace Plane
1 X-24 Boost Glider
1 XFLR-7
1 Xanadune
1 X-RV Boost Glider
1 X-Wing Fighter Star Wars Replica

3 Y-Wing Fighter RTF Starter Set
1 Yellow Jacket

1 Zoom Broom
1 Zenith II
1 Zoomie
1 Zoomie
1 Zoom Broom (Witch Candy)

Here is some more pictures!

Mikus
08-18-2008, 05:54 PM
I think I speak for everybody and if not I will anyway. :D

WOW. :eek:

Mikus
08-18-2008, 05:59 PM
That list doesn't count the built ones does it? I see a built Shadow there that's not on the list.

Does it fly well, I just won one on ebay and I'm stoked about it. :cool:

Mark II
08-18-2008, 07:07 PM
I haven't been back as an active member of the hobby all that long (about 5 years) and I don't amass kits at the same rate as many regular posters to this forum, but still, I have about 95 or so unbuilt kits awaiting my attention. I do intend, at this point anyway, to build them all... eventually. Although I have been accumulating kits at a slow but steady rate since becoming a BAR, only a handful of the rockets in my current fleet were actually built from kits (the most recent being my Golden Scout). The vast majority of the rockets that I have built in the past 5 years have been scratch-built clones of great rockets that I wanted when I was a kid, or ones that I missed out on because they were released during my long sabbatical from the hobby. I am still going full-tilt in that mode. After the clones, a significant number of the remainder of my fleet are UFO-style rockets, along with a MicroMaxx fleet.

I only built 5 rockets, all of them from Estes Industries, when I was a kid: a K-25 Astron Alpha (of course!), a K-15 Astron Sprite, a K-40 Astron Midget, a K-39 Semi-Scale Saturn V and a K-30 Little Joe II. My parents were never very happy with my choice of hobby, and after I went off to college, they went into my room and gathered up my small fleet, my Electro-Launch launcher, my building supplies, and my LIVE motors :eek: , and sent them all to the dump. :(

Mark \\.

Doug Sams
08-18-2008, 07:12 PM
My parents were never very happy with my choice of hobby, and after I went off to college, they went into my room and gathered up my small fleet, my Electro-Launch launcher, my building supplies, and my LIVE motors :eek: , and sent them all to the dump. :(I hope the judge gave you a good settlement when you divorced them :D

Doug

Mark II
08-18-2008, 09:01 PM
I hope the judge gave you a good settlement when you divorced them :D

Doug

I WISH!!! :p

But at the time I thought, "Oh, well...in a couple of years, when I restart this hobby, I'll just go and purchase new versions of the same items..." (That, by the way, was back in 1972.) :rolleyes: :o

Both of my folks have since gone on to their reward; I forgave them a very, very long time ago, and I certainly don't hold any grudges anymore. What they gave me has always been worth far more than anything that they ever mistakenly took away.

Mark \\.

LeeR
08-18-2008, 09:32 PM
I hope the judge gave you a good settlement when you divorced them :D

Doug

My mother gave away my Lionel train set when I was in college. I vowed to never do anything similar to my girls. We have had fun this past year digging out old toys and other childhood items from their basement hideaway. Some my oldest daughter has grabbed for her child (our 1 year old granddaughter), and some we have donated to charity, and the rest will get pulled out in the future.

I suspect some of my collection of unbuilt kits will get consumed when grandchild gets old enough. Arley? His collection could support a few orphanages.

:)

rokitflite
08-18-2008, 11:08 PM
Robert,

Are you talking about Mack Yocum or Tim Joyce?

Mack Doesn't have anywhere near that many... He has been trimming down his collection to truly classic stuff.

rokitflite
08-18-2008, 11:19 PM
Oh, and here are pictures of more recent aquisitions since the last set of photos I posted :D

jetlag
08-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Oh, and here are pictures of more recent aquisitions since the last set of photos I posted :D
Wow, Scott, your collection of Scissor Wings looks like mine of Orbital Transports! It must be one of your favorites!
I thought I had a lot of unbuilt rockets untill I saw Arley's list! I should sit down and list them as he did, but I do have a listing in a notebook: about 14 pages of unbuilts and 3 pages of built ones. I'm running out of room in my 18 x 24 shop! I only made the list in case the shop burned down ! :eek:
I'd take a few pics if I was not so embarrassed at how 'messy' it might look. At least I know where everything is!!! :D
Working on Centuri Athena clone, BMS Drifter, old Centuri Saturn V restoration, Semroc xkits X-ray and Mark (my son's), Semroc Sky hook (also my son's), and my KM-5 Bomarc clone (a project thread elsewhere here).
Allen

Initiator001
08-19-2008, 12:15 PM

Scott,

You are slacking off!

I expected to see that you had aquired far more kits then those few you posted in the pictures. :confused:

You must not be feeling well or else you would not have dropped out of the bidding on that Estes Citation Quasar at NARAM-50. ;)

Bob

JRThro
08-19-2008, 01:23 PM
When was the last set of photos that you posted?

Oh, and take my advice. Hang on to that Odyssey kit. That one's a classic!
:rolleyes: ;)

foose4string
08-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Oh, and take my advice. Hang on to that Odyssey kit. That one's a classic!
:rolleyes: ;)

And pretty rare. I finally got one for my "collection" too. I probably ought to get it signed too. :D

ga1ba2
08-23-2008, 08:53 PM
This is my fleet about 3 months ago there are about 6 new rockets including an Interceptor E (last photo)

http://www.rocketryforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=51292&d=1208305550
http://www.rocketryforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=51325&d=1208369906
http://www.rocketryforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=51326&d=1208369906
http://www.rocketryforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=51327&d=1208369906
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj52/ga1ba2/P7310024-1.jpg

Mikus
08-24-2008, 04:28 PM
This is my fleet about 3 months ago there are about 6 new rockets including an Interceptor E (last photo)

http://www.rocketryforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=51325&d=1208369906

LOL, somebody else that flies a red Birdie. :cool:

Nice fleet.

Arley Davis
08-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Yes it is listed, look again, for there is more listed on M. Excel put There was to much so I just showned the Number and Name only. The Date is when I finished building the rocket, (May of 1994).

May-94 2094 1 Shadow 29MM Estes
Mid Power Standard Rocket

Here is a couple of pictures of the Shadow, but I modified it for Mid Power, with 29MM motor mount, strengthened tubes, true the wall Plywood fins, and nose weight to move the center of gravity forward.

Arley Davis
08-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Dear LeeR
I lost my rockets and some of my models when I left home, most tossed out by my Parents.

As for my Grandson, I already have a will made out that he gets my collection as will as most everything else once he becomes of age, he’s 8 now, and it has been almost 6 years since his mother and my daughter was killed.

Here are some more pictures of my daughter’s rockets, a couple with her son Jacob. The first is the Loc Onyx, that she never finished it, so a couple of years ago I finished and called it the Onyx (Candy's Memorial) with her picture and her children’s handprints. In case you were wondering, I am rising Jacob and my brother and his wife are raising Necia my granddaughter.

LeeR
08-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Arley,

Sorry for your loss. But good on you for stepping up to the task of raising your grandson. That is one unbelievable supply of projects to work on with you.

Mikus
09-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Here is a couple of pictures of the Shadow, but I modified it for Mid Power, with 29MM motor mount, strengthened tubes, true the wall Plywood fins, and nose weight to move the center of gravity forward.

Oh that's a sweet bird. Heh, I was thinking about the same thing for mine. Boy that thing can fill up a launch rod can't it? :D

Maniac BAR
09-02-2008, 11:38 PM
That list doesn't count the built ones does it? I see a built Shadow there that's not on the list.

Does it fly well, I just won one on ebay and I'm stoked about it. :cool:

The Shadow is a great BIG kit. I have the Optima, which is the exact same rocket. All built stock and it flys like a dream. Mine has gone up on motors from Estes D12 and E9 to AT RMS E28 and even a F39! :D

Some words of advice, however are in order. Motor choice is important with this bird! The Estes D12 is marginal for height! It will only get up to about 200 to 300' :eek: You can fly it like this in a small school yard with maximum inpact ( too the kids) but it has to be NO wind!

If you like taking pictures or video of launches, the Estes E9 is fantastic for this. Very slow liftoff with again ok height. Winds must be 5MPH or less! There should be a video at NARAMLIVE from NARAM-48 where I flew mine and Chris Taylor got a great movie of it.

With the Estes motors the launch rod must be at least 5' and don't launch if the rocket is doing any kind of swaying.

If you really have the room, the RMS loads are the way to go! The E28-7T is amazing! One minute on the pad and the next it is GONE. It is almost quiet with very little smoke or flame. Just a wonderful WOOSH as it tries to disappear. :p

The F39-9T is the most powerful 24mm you can use if built stock. You better have the room because this engine will take it high enough to almost go out of sight :p Great smoke trail, lots of noise and a real crowd pleaser.

The kit has some weak spots you will need to address before you build. Because of its size and bad habit of swinging as it decends, it will land on one or more fins almost every time. Mine was built stock with surface mount fins. Use the double glue joint method and get some multipul THIN fillets on them. I used Titebond II glue for the entire build. The fins will stay on just fine even with the strong F motor. They are also fine on landing with minor tip damage unless you coat the tips with thin CA. However, the body tube WILL start to fail right at the fin leading edge to body tube area!!!! :( There is no support there if you check the plans. You will need to add another CR right about where the fin leading edge will be or the tube will try to collapse. If you have not built yours yet, don't add the last (bottom) CR yet. Do the others and glue the motor mount into the body tube as per instructions. When it has set up add a tube coupler from the bottom so that it is up into the "weak" area. Then glue in the last coupler. Either way you will have a rocket that should give you years of satisfaction.

Mine has nine flights on it to date and is one of my favorites. :p

Maniac BAR
09-03-2008, 12:24 AM
Hi Mark, I'm glad you started this thread. I was starting to feel a little out of place with my rocket collection. Now I find I am actually way behind the mean curve. :eek:

Below are some pictures of my living room (yes, living room!!) where I do most of my building and storing of finished rockets. Yes, the wife is not happy but we are already using about 98% of the rest of the house for one thing or another and this was the only last open space to do this. :o Thankfully she understands I need an outlet for unwinding after work and so far is happy I am not at the local watering hole or worse! :o

I have since moved many of the rockets into some large plastic totes and into the garage. I haven't been able to put any cars in there in years and I have completely given up the hope of that ever happening. :D

At this time I have 123 unbuilt kits also in plastic totes in the garage in some overhead racks and I actually went out one day and opened each tote and marked on a piece of paper each rocket in that tote. I then taped the list to the outside of the tote where I could see it. :eek:

There is also a very large three ring binder stuffed full of copies of old plans, MRN rockets, DOM rockets, Barclone rockets, Excelsior Goonys and upscales of some of the classic Estes stuff. About 200+ plans in all. Enough to keep me busy for who knows how many years!!!

The built rockets are mostly Estes with a few Quest, LOC and some Aerotech as well. I have six rockets of my own design including one that I upscaled to a heavy wall BT-80 and used for my L1 Cert. I also made an upscale of the Estes Nike X to the same tube with TTW plywood fins for my L2 Cert. Right now I am finishing the rebuild of the 2.56X upscale of the Satellite Interceptor and finishing the paint on the 2.56X upscale of the Estes Deep Space Transport.

Since those pictures have been taken the fleet has grown with four scales of the Estes Hawkeye, an Estes original Deep Space Transport, Semroc Texas Firefly, Black Widow clone, Excelsior Honest Goon, Goonydent and Apogoon, QModeling Super Snooper, Flis Alien 8 and a streched and modified PML Miranda for duel deploy.

PHEWWE that's some spicee bunch!! :)

See you at the next meeting, yes?

Arley Davis
09-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Dear Mikus
It only fills up a launch Pad if you have never been to a High Power Launch.
The PML Pterodactyl
The Scratch Built Alien with an Attitude
The Rocketman Praying Mantis
Our THOR Club 1/3 Scale Scratch Built Mercury Redstone, I am in the middle back row and my daughter Candy is in the left front Row.

JAL3
09-16-2008, 09:37 PM
I just can't win.

I stumbled upon this thread and thought, "I have to show this to SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED" so she'll lay off of me.

I did show her.

She's convinced that I have "rigged" this whole thread and that the photos are from my secret stash.

I WISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just can't win.

pantherjon
09-16-2008, 11:19 PM
I just can't win.

I stumbled upon this thread and thought, "I have to show this to SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED" so she'll lay off of me.
I did show her.
She's convinced that I have "rigged" this whole thread and that the photos are from my secret stash.
I WISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just can't win.
Well, to disprove THAT theory..Show her these pictures of my 'stash' :D

By the way, rent is due on your storage room....:p

JAL3
09-17-2008, 12:19 AM
Well, to disprove THAT theory..Show her these pictures of my 'stash' :D

By the way, rent is due on your storage room....:p

She has been shown but it is to no avail. Unfortunately, that room looks suspiciously like one of the bedrooms in a duplex I owned and have leased to my nephew. Part of the lease conditions are that I get to use the garage as my rocket shop and have free access to the plumbing facilities whenever I wish. Sometimes I raid the fridge also (wouldn't want that stuff to go bad and you KNOW how college students live.)

Now my wife believes that I have unfairly stolen the use of one of his rooms and ruined his chances of finding a roomate to share expenses with. She absolutely refuses to go and look for herself because she's afraid "she might catch something." She remembers how clean I kept my hobby area when I pursued it here in the house and the less said about how I keep my office, the better.

Like I said, I just can't win! :(

JAL3
09-17-2008, 12:22 AM
She has been shown but it is to no avail. Unfortunately, that room looks suspiciously like one of the bedrooms in a duplex I owned and have leased to my nephew. Part of the lease conditions are that I get to use the garage as my rocket shop and have free access to the plumbing facilities whenever I wish. Sometimes I raid the fridge also (wouldn't want that stuff to go bad and you KNOW how college students live.)

Now my wife believes that I have unfairly stolen the use of one of his rooms and ruined his chances of finding a roomate to share expenses with. She absolutely refuses to go and look for herself because she's afraid "she might catch something." She remembers how clean I kept my hobby area when I pursued it here in the house and the less said about how I keep my office, the better.

Like I said, I just can't win! :(

I almost forgot. The multiple Star Trek kits and the Interceptor pretty well sealed my fate. She remembers all too clearly my trying to explain that they were prizes for a contest by my NAR section. She was the one that answered the door when they came in.

Rocketflyer
09-17-2008, 06:59 AM
I almost forgot. The multiple Star Trek kits and the Interceptor pretty well sealed my fate. She remembers all too clearly my trying to explain that they were prizes for a contest by my NAR section. She was the one that answered the door when they came in.

Ah John, you totally forgot the 11th comandment: "Thou shall not take up bedroom/storeroom/kitchen space with rockets. Keep holy the kitchen table, end tables, coffee table, for wood, superglue and balsa dust are abominations to thy wife's eyes."

Don't ask how I know this stuff.

I now have my own space to work from....right next to the litter box. :o

Peartree
09-17-2008, 07:11 AM

That sounds REALLY familiar.

Are you sure you haven't been to my house? :D

Solomoriah
09-17-2008, 07:24 AM
Huh. I sanded a nose cone at the dining room table last night. Of course, I laid out a newspaper to catch the dust, and cleaned up after myself.

Maybe that last bit is y'all's problem... :D

Rocketflyer
09-17-2008, 08:45 AM
Huh. I sanded a nose cone at the dining room table last night. Of course, I laid out a newspaper to catch the dust, and cleaned up after myself.

Let's see...dining room table: "That area of the household that the wife uses for dining, but is not limited to, cats who persist on sleping there, day old newspapers, mail collection, coupons, various scented candles, and other things deemed necessay to the smooth performance of the home."
Excerpt taken from the book of " How Not to Get Banished to the Doghouse. " :rolleyes:

Solomoriah
09-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Boy, not ours. It's clear of everything save for a centerpiece (sometimes) pretty much any time it's not in use. My wife does not abide piles of junk on the table.

JAL3
09-17-2008, 09:06 AM

There is an element of truth to your assertion but your methods still wouldn't work with my Mrs. I know because I tried them. Sometimes, I thought I spent more time cleaning in the wee hours than she did during the day but it is too no avail. She always knew. The fact that it was done at the kitchen table seemed to be just as much of an issue as any leftover mess. Aparently, in her Korean background a dining table is to be used for nothing except dining. In my own background, I remember that particular table being used for every conceivable part of life. She's still working on training me.

marslndr
09-18-2008, 01:24 PM
I feel like a light weight! I only have maybe 100 to build.

But my work bench IS a mess!

pantherjon
09-19-2008, 07:39 AM
LOL That first picture looks a LOT like my work bench! :)

Bob Kaplow
09-19-2008, 12:34 PM
What a bunch of amateurs :-)

Arley Davis
09-22-2008, 05:50 PM
My 11th commandment is totally different guy’s, Thou’ll shell never get married again, twice is enough for any Man. Personally I am thankful I got custody of my 2 Kids, Candy was 3 and my son Adam was 18 months old in 1984.

The kids Christmas Photo 1985!

Mark II
09-22-2008, 08:58 PM
My 11th commandment is totally different guy’s, Thou’ll shell never get married again, twice is enough for any Man. Personally I am thankful I got custody of my 2 Kids, Candy was 3 and my son Adam was 18 months old in 1984.

The kids Christmas Photo 1985!
Cute! They are certainly your two best projects, Arley! The development process sure is a long and expensive one, though, right? :D (But worth every penny, I'm sure!)

Mark \\.

Arley Davis
09-25-2008, 04:35 PM
Thank you Mark II, Put remember the expense was a lot less in the 80’s, when a gallon of milk was less than a dollar and gas was around $1.00 as will. It’s so much more expensive raising my grandson Jacob today compared to raising his Mother and Uncle.

How many of you can remember the Mars Lander costing around $7.00 and most others costing under $3.00?

barone
09-25-2008, 05:01 PM
How many of you can remember the Mars Lander costing around $7.00 and most others costing under $3.00?
I remember it at $4.50. That was a lot of money to me at the time. I'd have to mow 27 yards to get that money (.50 a yard split between three of us.....and a push mower, not gas powered, at that).

Arley Davis
09-25-2008, 05:57 PM
Will Barone it could have been around 5.00, it’s been a very long time ago, in fact I got my First Mars Lander in the late 1960’s. All I can remember is it took months before I had enough money to purchase it, and even longer it seamed to build it. In case you were interested I was born in 1956, and if your like me growing up in the 60’s was a blast, even with only 4 TV stations, and no computers.

Here is the Mars Lander I purchased and built a few years ago on ebay, that cost me around $200.00 Dollers. Where is a Time Machine when you need one?

LeeR
09-25-2008, 08:58 PM
Ah John, you totally forgot the 11th comandment: "Thou shall not take up bedroom/storeroom/kitchen space with rockets. Keep holy the kitchen table, end tables, coffee table, for wood, superglue and balsa dust are abominations to thy wife's eyes."

Don't ask how I know this stuff.

You guys need to learn how to negotiate! Keeping your hobby out of the main part of the house is a matter of convincing your spouse you need a shop. Here is about 1/2 of mine. And so you do not mess up a kitchen or bathroom sink, you need a utility sink, too. My rocket table is at the end, and I'm ready to double the shop so this area is pure woodworking, and the new area is a "clean room" for assembly, airbrush booth, etc. Of course, I do make my wife nice gifts from wood periodically, and tackle some remodeling to keep her happy ...

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii220/hobbes_pics/shop/th_shop001.jpg (http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii220/hobbes_pics/shop/shop001.jpg)
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii220/hobbes_pics/shop/th_shop003.jpg (http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii220/hobbes_pics/shop/shop003.jpg)

sandman
09-25-2008, 09:53 PM
Lee...that is unforgivably clean... :mad:

Solomoriah
09-25-2008, 10:25 PM
I remember it at $4.50. That was a lot of money to me at the time. I'd have to mow 27 yards to get that money (.50 a yard split between three of us.....and a push mower, not gas powered, at that).
Hmm. According to Ninfinger's site, in 1969 the Mars Lander first appeared at $4.75; it wasn't in the 1968 catalog, and in 1970 it's $6.00.

You were getting just $0.50 per yard in 1967? Dang. My wife recalls charging $10.00 a yard in 1978. Heckuva inflation rate...

Der Red Max
09-26-2008, 01:01 AM
Yeah and I thought I was pretty jealous looking at everyone's collection on this forum...
...then I saw this guys: The Whole Kit and Caboodle! (http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=48420)

How do you guys do it? - Kill me now!

barone
09-26-2008, 07:23 AM
Hmm. According to Ninfinger's site, in 1969 the Mars Lander first appeared at $4.75; it wasn't in the 1968 catalog, and in 1970 it's $6.00.Duh....two more yards to mow :D

You were getting just $0.50 per yard in 1967? Dang. My wife recalls charging $10.00 a yard in 1978. Heckuva inflation rate...
Yep...just trying to get some change to buy a coke and a pack of honey roasted peanuts. Kids, what did we know of the value of work? :eek:

ghrocketman
09-26-2008, 09:47 AM
I work on my rockets right on the kitchen counter; not because I don't have a shop, I do, but it is in the basement.
Much easier to watch TV while building if I use the counter as there are two TVs within vision from there whereas there are zero in my basement.
My wife is a really good egg for putting up with this, but in my favor, she has an entire scrapbook room on the second floor which I don't mind her having.
Nothing like Epoxy, CA, and Aero Gloss Dope fumes mixed in with whatever is cooking on the stove.
Mmmmm....tasty !

jetlag
09-26-2008, 09:57 AM
I work on my rockets right on the kitchen counter; not because I don't have a shop, I do, but it is in the basement.
Much easier to watch TV while building if I use the counter as there are two TVs within vision from there whereas there are zero in my basement.
My wife is a really good egg for putting up with this, but in my favor, she has an entire scrapbook room on the second floor which I don't mind her having.
Nothing like Epoxy, CA, and Aero Gloss Dope fumes mixed in with whatever is cooking on the stove.
Mmmmm....tasty !
How about a TV in the basement? A nice 50 inch or so Pioneer Plasma or Sony Bravia, I think, is called for here! :D
Allen

ghrocketman
09-26-2008, 10:19 AM
The plasma in the basement sounds good, but it has two problems.
1) it would preclude the mixing of the sweet smell of Aero Gloss dope with whatever is cookin' on the stove....definite negative there.

2) I would have to figure out where to put it/fit it in with the Bar, Poker Table (one of those long-style casino tables, not one of those cheap octagons), F-14 Tomcat Pinball Machine, Centipede Arcade Game, Galaga Arcade Game, Valley Cougar Darts electronic dart machine, and Pac Man Arcade Game. Since my shop is in a separate room, I would have to put in a window if a Plasma is behind the Bar.
To top it off, my wife is buying one of those long bar-style shuffleboard tables that I need to fit in somehow. My basement.game room is getting too full to fit in the pool table I wanted....I guess I may just pick up a Williams Defender Stargate or Atari Tempest Video game instead...easier to fit it in.

marslndr
09-26-2008, 12:32 PM
What, no time pilot?

ghrocketman
09-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Interestingly enough, Time Pilot/Time Pilot '84 are two games I'm watching for to get a good deal on for the basement.
Tops of my list right now is a decent Williams Robotron full-size (not the cabaret model) machine for a realistic price.

Mark II
09-26-2008, 10:55 PM
[...]
I can't say that I remember the ML costing $7, but I do remember it costing $4.75. And, yup, I remember when most kits cost under $3, and when Estes motors were $0.35 each, or 3 for $0.99 (and not just at Wal-Mart! :D ). I also remember when regular gasoline was $0.34/gal. (about the same as a pack of cigarettes), a dozen eggs cost $0.66, a half gallon of milk went for $0.75, and I remember when you could rent a really nice apartment for $200/mo. (heat included). I remember seeing an ad in Road & Track magazine for a brand new Jaguar XKE, showing its price as $5,999, and thinking, "Wow, that's a really expensive car!"

Of course, minimum wage was $1.86/hr., too. :rolleyes:

And some of the kids in my high school graduating class even lived in really swanky homes that cost upwards of $60,000! :eek:

Mark \\.

LeeR
09-27-2008, 11:49 AM
How about a TV in the basement? A nice 50 inch or so Pioneer Plasma or Sony Bravia, I think, is called for here! :D
Allen

Yep, I did that, but when we switched to DirecTV, I piggybacked off the upstairs receiver. Guess what, I got to watch Lifetime movies in my shop ...

I replaced the TV with an old stereo receiver (remember those?!) with an input cable for my iPod. A pretty decent addition/alternative until I decide I want to add a satellite receiver to the basement. Not sure its worth it, and I cannot seem to follow TV while doing anything in the shop anyway.

LeeR
09-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Lee...that is unforgivably clean... :mad:

sandman,

I have to admit this is a picture taken right after a big cleanup. I was so disgusted with the woodchips, sawdust and piles of junk everywhere that I took a couple hours to clean it up.

Sometimes I tell myself there will be no hobby activities at all until the shop is clean.

sandman
09-27-2008, 02:15 PM
sandman,

I have to admit this is a picture taken right after a big cleanup. I was so disgusted with the woodchips, sawdust and piles of junk everywhere that I took a couple hours to clean it up.

Sometimes I tell myself there will be no hobby activities at all until the shop is clean.

OK...here's my excuse.

When the floor is covered with wood chip and I drop a sharp tool or precision instrament. it is protected from impact by the cushioning effect of the wood chips.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :rolleyes:

Gus
09-27-2008, 08:12 PM
OK...here's my excuse.

When the floor is covered with wood chip and I drop a sharp tool or precision instrament. it is protected from impact by the cushioning effect of the wood chips.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :rolleyes:
Visitors (spies) often show up unannounced at the Roachwerks seeking autographs,guided tours, and souvenier shavings. On the advice of Norm Abrams, Sandman has cleverly created a fake woodshop in his garage purposely designed to underimpress (see photos 1 - 3). Misters hidden in ceiling joists continuously spray "wood smell" to give the room an aura of authenticity. Surprisingly, the "lived in" look usually convinces the less knowledgeable that Sandman actually creates his masterpieces in such rustic surroundings.

Through a secret door at the back of the shop, however, is the elevator down to the real Roachwerks, located in a former Titan silo beneath Sandman's garage. This is where the real workshop resides. Level 16 of the workshop is shown in photo 4.

JAL3
09-29-2008, 12:57 PM
You guys need to learn how to negotiate! Keeping your hobby out of the main part of the house is a matter of convincing your spouse you need a shop. Here is about 1/2 of mine. And so you do not mess up a kitchen or bathroom sink, you need a utility sink, too. My rocket table is at the end, and I'm ready to double the shop so this area is pure woodworking, and the new area is a "clean room" for assembly, airbrush booth, etc. Of course, I do make my wife nice gifts from wood periodically, and tackle some remodeling to keep her happy ...

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii220/hobbes_pics/shop/th_shop001.jpg (http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii220/hobbes_pics/shop/shop001.jpg)
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii220/hobbes_pics/shop/th_shop003.jpg (http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii220/hobbes_pics/shop/shop003.jpg)

My wife agreed that I need a worshop. I've attached a sketch of the one she suggested. We compromised and I moved into my nephew's garage and took some of the rent. I sure miss air conditioning...

JAL3
09-29-2008, 01:00 PM

I've tried that but a battery of 105s in the early 80s damaged my hearing. Now I tell myself but cannot hear it. My wife says I have the same problem hearing her.

sandman
09-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Visitors (spies) often show up unannounced at the Roachwerks seeking autographs,guided tours, and souvenier shavings. On the advice of Norm Abrams, Sandman has cleverly created a fake woodshop in his garage purposely designed to underimpress (see photos 1 - 3). Misters hidden in ceiling joists continuously spray "wood smell" to give the room an aura of authenticity. Surprisingly, the "lived in" look usually convinces the less knowledgeable that Sandman actually creates his masterpieces in such rustic surroundings.

Through a secret door at the back of the shop, however, is the elevator down to the real Roachwerks, located in a former Titan silo beneath Sandman's garage. This is where the real workshop resides. Level 16 of the workshop is shown in photo 4.

OK, that's just freakin' embarassing! :o

How did security let you smuggle a camera in???

LeeR
09-29-2008, 11:22 PM
I've tried that but a battery of 105s in the early 80s damaged my hearing. Now I tell myself but cannot hear it. My wife says I have the same problem hearing her.

I've been married almost 35 years. I can carry on a conversation with my wife and never even realize what we were talking about. It takes years of practice, and sometimes you get away with it, but most of the time you pay dearly ...

Niteowl
09-30-2008, 12:16 AM
I've been married almost 35 years. I can carry on a conversation with my wife and never even realize what we were talking about. It takes years of practice, and sometimes you get away with it, but most of the time you pay dearly ...

I sometimes get quizzed after a "conversation". I've learned to retain key words/phrases that when repeated, simulate comprehension. Later when I get called on something "important", I claim STML, due to too much fun during my youth. It all blows over soon enough. †

Arley Davis
10-01-2008, 09:59 AM
How did this get of track; isn’t this about our rocket collections?
Here is a picture Of Jacob and me taken 5 years ago with My Rocketman, Thunder Chicken before it’s flight on a H Motor.

Rustee
10-06-2008, 12:10 AM
This is the lot as of now,I'm building the Big Daddy and a Little Joe II. Add a Maxi Alpha 3 too. All the unbuilt stuff is less than four months old!

Mikus
10-10-2008, 12:25 PM
This is my fleet for tomorrow's launch window. Should make for a full but fun day of flying, eh? :D

Maniac BAR
10-10-2008, 01:22 PM
This is my fleet for tomorrow's launch window. Should make for a full but fun day of flying, eh? :D

Geeeze bro, that is some bunch of rockets!! :eek:

Are you really going to fly all of them? Let me know if you do so I will not feel like a nut because I usually bring that many to our launches and someone always comments that I bring too much to fly!! :o

It will be nice to know that I am in good company. :p

barone
10-10-2008, 01:51 PM
What cha plan on flying the WD-40 with? :D

Maniac BAR
10-10-2008, 02:50 PM
What cha plan on flying the WD-40 with? :D

How about some "greased lightning" :eek: :D

Mikus
10-10-2008, 05:35 PM
I'm sure going to try to fly em all. I may scrub one or more based on the conditions or if it gets late due to a case of Painful Recovery, but I try to fly em all if I can. I'm about to start prep work in a few minutes, between loading BPs and building APs it should take most of the evening. :cool:

Then it's one after another out in the field.

WD-40? Gotta keep those rods well lubricated, they'll be smoking by the end of the day. :D

Solomoriah
10-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Are you really going to fly all of them? Let me know if you do so I will not feel like a nut because I usually bring that many to our launches and someone always comments that I bring too much to fly!! :o
I took 21 of my own rockets to the SPARC launch akpilot invited me to. Didn't launch near all of them, but he said to bring "all I could..."

Maniac BAR
10-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Then it's one after another out in the field.

WD-40? Gotta keep those rods well lubricated, they'll be smoking by the end of the day. :D

Bill, don't even go there!!!! :eek: :rolleyes: :D

barone
10-11-2008, 08:50 AM
Bill, don't even go there!!!! :eek: :rolleyes: :D
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!

Mikus
10-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Are you really going to fly all of them? Let me know if you do so I will not feel like a nut because I usually bring that many to our launches and someone always comments that I bring too much to fly!!

I flew all but the Fliskit Tres which gave me ignition problems. Weird since I put up a 4-motor Taurus right after pulling the Tres off the pad. Have to go figure that one out. :confused:

Started 10am, finished about 4. Launched all sorts of stuff from A3's to G76G's. Great fun. :D