PDA

View Full Version : Golden Scout certificates

Rocket Doctor
08-24-2008, 12:05 PM
On Tuesday, August 26th, the Golden Scout participation certificates will be taken to the Penrose post office to be mailed with the special postmark.

Vern and Gleda signed nearly 500 certificates, and, after Tuesday, they will be on their way to your mailbox.

I would like to personally Thank everyone for their participation in the Golden Scout and Sky Of Gold 50th anniveersary celebration.

I would also like to Thank all of those who I met at NARAM as well.

Vern and gleda appreciate all of your kind words on the log.

And a special Thanks goes out to Carl, Sheryl and Bruce for making my vision a reality and for all of their very hard work to make this celebration such a huge success.

Thanks to all.....
RD

Leo
08-24-2008, 01:16 PM
Hope they arrive in one piece because they have a long journey over the pond ahead of them.

Big thanks RD :)

Rocket Doctor
08-24-2008, 04:21 PM
Hope they arrive in one piece because they have a long journey over the pond ahead of them.

Big thanks RD :)

Don't worry Leo, yours is coming via Rocket Mail..........And, the pond isn't really that big........Ha Ha

Have a great day

RD

chanstevens
08-25-2008, 07:40 AM
Just a tip for anyone who might want to protect the beauty of the envelope and the special postmark, but still get their mitts on the certificate inside--hold the envelope over a pot of boiling water to gently steam open the seal. This will preserve the envelope without any major damage.

I know, most of you are old enough to already know that trick, but any younger readers might have simply torn into the envelope to get their certificate.

--Chan Stevens

Rocket Doctor
08-25-2008, 08:18 AM
Just a tip for anyone who might want to protect the beauty of the envelope and the special postmark, but still get their mitts on the certificate inside--hold the envelope over a pot of boiling water to gently steam open the seal. This will preserve the envelope without any major damage.

I know, most of you are old enough to already know that trick, but any younger readers might have simply torn into the envelope to get their certificate.

--Chan Stevens

Chan

From what I understand from Carl , the envelopes are easy open, maybe Carl would like to expand upon that for all of us.

As previously mentiond before by another member here, you could put both the certificate and the envelope in a frame, but, keep in mind the size of the envelope and the certificate.

Another suggestion, have individual frames, one for each, you could put your Golden Scout in the middle with the envelope on one side and the certificate on the other.

Photos are welcome of your display of your GS and the certificate.

Be looking for your certificate over the next several days.

RD

cas2047
08-25-2008, 08:59 AM
On Tuesday, August 26th, the Golden Scout participation certificates will be taken to the Penrose post office to be mailed with the special postmark.

Vern and Gleda signed nearly 500 certificates, and, after Tuesday, they will be on their way to your mailbox.

RD

Thanks to Vern and Glenda for signing all of those certificates! That's no small task!

Also thanks to Carl, Sheryl, Bruce and RD! This was a fantastic event!

Carl@Semroc
08-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Vern and Gleda sent photos of their magic touch to the Sky of Gold project. The final count was 516 which included 23 international flights. Lots of signing and stuffing envelopes that must have reminded them of the old days. I am sure they recognized many of the names as some of their early customers.

Our thanks to Vern, Gleda, and Betty who made NARAM-50 so memorable for us. The Golden Scout program would not have been possible without their support and total participation. Sue Luck, the Postmaster at Penrose, has also helped make possible one more special mailing from the "Model Rocket Capital of the World." I don't remember when I received my last package from 81240, but I won't forget this one!

Thanks to Ken (RD) and Diana for being there from the beginning. Ken's persistence in making sure the Estes' 50th was remembered helped crystallize what all the rest of us were wishing would happen.

Special thanks to Sheryl and Bruce. Sometimes I get carried away with ideas that seem simple in the dream state, but are much more challenging when I awake. They make me look like I know what I am doing.

Carl@Semroc
08-25-2008, 10:25 AM
Chan

From what I understand from Carl , the envelopes are easy open, maybe Carl would like to expand upon that for all of us.They are the re-sealable type envelopes.

Leo
08-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Vern and Gleda sent photos of their magic touch to the Sky of Gold project. The final count was 516 which included 23 international flights. Lots of signing and stuffing envelopes that must have reminded them of the old days. I am sure they recognized many of the names as some of their early customers.

Our thanks to Vern, Gleda, and Betty who made NARAM-50 so memorable for us. The Golden Scout program would not have been possible without their support and total participation. Sue Luck, the Postmaster at Penrose, has also helped make possible one more special mailing from the "Model Rocket Capital of the World." I don't remember when I received my last package from 81240, but I won't forget this one!

Thanks to Ken (RD) and Diana for being there from the beginning. Ken's persistence in making sure the Estes' 50th was remembered helped crystallize what all the rest of us were wishing would happen.

Special thanks to Sheryl and Bruce. Sometimes I get carried away with ideas that seem simple in the dream state, but are much more challenging when I awake. They make me look like I know what I am doing.

... and don't forget to thank yourself Carl. Without you and your company we wouldn't have had the hardware! :)

Rocket Doctor
08-25-2008, 04:52 PM

Thanks again Carl, and, tomorrow, all of the planning and hard work will be concluded, another milestone in model rocketry history.

The envelopes will be postmarked from Penrose with the special postmark and will be on their way.

And, I would like to Thank our International partners for their support of the Golden Scout and Sky Of Gold celebration. Photos would be appreciated.

Gus
08-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Ken, Carl,

Thanks again for making it possible for us to participate in honoring two such wonderful people.

Look at those photos!

All these years after selling the company there they are, doing even more to make it special for so many of us.

They are truly, truly special people who so richly deserve the honors which have come their way.

Race58
08-27-2008, 12:14 AM
What you said!!!!
And I would add Sheryl,Bruce & Diana

Thanks so much!Ken, Carl,

Thanks again for making it possible for us to participate in honoring two such wonderful people.

Look at those photos!

All these years after selling the company there they are, doing even more to make it special for so many of us.

They are truly, truly special people who so richly deserve the honors which have come their way.

Rocket Doctor
08-27-2008, 07:54 AM
The certificates are on their way, I have seen photos from the mailing from the Penrose post office and they look great.

Carl should be posting them soon.

Please let us know when your certificate arrives, photos woule be appreciated.

And once again, I want to Thanks everyone for their participation in this historic event.

Carl@Semroc
08-27-2008, 08:10 AM
From Vern--
"Just a quick note to let you know that the mailing went off without a problem today. I am attaching 6 photos taken at the Penrose Post Office. Susan was a big help and Charlotte Burrous from the Daily Record was there to get a couple of photos. "

Great photos!

Leo
08-27-2008, 10:48 AM
That is so fantastic that I'm close to getting all teary-eyed :)

moonzero2
08-27-2008, 12:04 PM
That is so fantastic that I'm close to getting all teary-eyed :)
Me two!
Thank-you everyone for giving us this wonderful opportunity to participate in Thanking Vern & Glenda Estes.

JRThro
08-27-2008, 01:00 PM
From Vern--
"Just a quick note to let you know that the mailing went off without a problem today. I am attaching 6 photos taken at the Penrose Post Office. Susan was a big help and Charlotte Burrous from the Daily Record was there to get a couple of photos. "

Great photos!
That really is great! If only they hadn't misspelled Gleda's name.

Leo
08-27-2008, 01:05 PM
... If only they hadn't misspelled Gleda's name.

:eek:

I completely missed that :o

Leo
08-27-2008, 02:21 PM
Ok, had to fix that :)

http://www.leo.nutz.de/images/rockets/forums/Vern_Gleda_Postoffice_Lady.jpg

Race58
08-27-2008, 02:39 PM
Bet a 1/4A3-4T would have trouble lifting that Golden Scout behind Susan? :eek:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q276/rvfulltime/SusanLuck_PenrosePostmastewithdi-1.jpgFrom Vern--

Great photos!

Rocket Doctor
08-27-2008, 06:19 PM
That Golden Scout was provided by Hawk Hobbies. They only made a few of those.

My Golden Scout was based on a BT-70 and stands 27 inches tall and was powered by a D12-5.

I only made eight of those.

grog
08-27-2008, 09:23 PM
I received my Golden Scout certificate today. Looks great. Thanks so much for doing this, and thanks to Vern and Gleda and Carl.

Leo
08-28-2008, 03:28 AM
Hope they didn't send mine via SpaceX rocket mail :D

Bob Kaplow
08-28-2008, 08:25 AM
That Golden Scout was provided by Hawk Hobbies. They only made a few of those.

My Golden Scout was based on a BT-70 and stands 27 inches tall and was powered by a D12-5.

I only made eight of those.

Any one post plans for either of these upscale Scouts? I'd rather steal than work from scratch. I've upscaled a bunch of my old 60s K series kits, but have several to go, including the Scout.

cas2047
08-28-2008, 08:50 AM
From Vern--

Great photos!

Excellent photos from the Penrose Post Office!

Rocket Doctor
08-28-2008, 09:00 AM
Any one post plans for either of these upscale Scouts? I'd rather steal than work from scratch. I've upscaled a bunch of my old 60s K series kits, but have several to go, including the Scout.

I will try to get a list of parts together for you and the fin pattern.

moonzero2
08-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Excellent photos from the Penrose Post Office!
I agree...
Thanks for sharing the photos,... that's great! :D

Rocket Doctor
08-28-2008, 02:39 PM
Our certificates arrived today, hats off to the postal service...........

ga1ba2
08-28-2008, 04:03 PM
I will try to get a list of parts together for you and the fin pattern.

Me too

Great photos, great program, waiting patiently for my certificates to arrive hope the mail lady doesn't fold the heck out of it!

barone
08-28-2008, 04:30 PM
Mine came in today. They look great. Was even able to figure out how to display them.....

One shadow box deep enough for the Scout to be displayed in. Scout in lower left corner. Mailing envelope displayed behind and centered in box lower half. Certificate displayed centered and above envelope. It looks great displayed like that on the floor (the white of the envelope makes a nice backdrop to the Scout). Now, to build the shadow box........

Solomoriah
08-28-2008, 04:48 PM
... and don't forget the pictures, okay?

Niteowl
08-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Ours arrived today. I wasn't home to intercept the delivery, but they did not get bent in the mailbox.

My son was quite excited upon seeing his certificate and wanted to know where he could hang it.

Very cool all-around......

Ltvscout
08-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Mine hasn't arrived yet but I already talked to my postman about it. I asked him to place the envelope in between our doors vs folding it over to get it in the mailbox.

CoachJT
08-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Ours arrived yesterday. They look great.

My son is excited because he has Vern and Gleda's autographs :D

Ltvscout
08-29-2008, 01:26 PM
My son is excited because he has Vern and Gleda's autographs :D
I'm still kicking myself for not having Vern and Gleda sign some of my old Estes memorabilia when we had them back here for NARCON in 2004. :(

Mark II
08-29-2008, 01:31 PM
I received mine today!!! :D :D :D

I'm so excited, I haven't even opened the envelope yet!

Mark \\.

cas2047
08-29-2008, 02:09 PM
I received mine today as well.

A HUGE Thank You goes out to Vern and Glenda, RD, Carl, Sheryl, Bruce and YORF (Sky Of Gold Central) for these keepsakes and the "Sky of Gold" memories!

These certificates, along with the Golden Scouts themselves, are now my most prized rocketry related collectibles.

Mark II
08-29-2008, 02:17 PM
I received mine today as well.

A HUGE Thank You goes out to Vern and Glenda, RD, Carl, Sheryl, Bruce and YORF (Sky Of Gold Central) for these keepsakes and the "Sky of Gold" memories!

These certificates, along with the Golden Scouts themselves, are now my most prized rocketry related collectibles.
I'll second that - all of what you said!

Mark \\.

wickball
08-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Got mine today, I feel truly honored. Thanks Vern and Gleda and Rocketdoctor and Semroc.
Glad I participated, bought my first Estes back in '66, wish I still had it. This is the next best thing.

wick

JRThro
08-29-2008, 08:35 PM
My two came today. I haven't opened them yet.

This is cool!

Thanks to Vern, Gleda, Ken/Rocketdoctor, Carl, Sheryl, Bruce, and Lisa!
:)

And to YORF and TRF for getting the word out!

CPMcGraw
08-29-2008, 11:03 PM
Received my two as well today. Still in their envelopes. Nice touch that each envelope is identified with the flight number on the outside.:)

Really nice postmarks. I've got to be careful about how I open them... :eek:

stefanj
08-29-2008, 11:11 PM
Just sliced my envelope open. Nice certificate!

You could snip out the postmark and stamps and mount them with the certificate.

moonzero2
08-30-2008, 02:08 AM

I'll 3rd that! :D
Mine & my grand-daughter's arrived today! :D
I too am so excited I haven't opened them yet! :D

foose4string
08-30-2008, 06:51 AM
Got mine yesterday....#98 ! Very cool postmark. I may open mine if I can find a suitable frame for the envelope and certificate. If not, I'll leave it sealed. Good stuff. Thank you RD, Semroc, and Estes family. :)

Initiator001
08-30-2008, 12:46 PM
I received my certificate yesterday (Friday).

Very nice. :D

I will have to come up with a way to display it...

Bob

chanstevens
08-31-2008, 07:30 AM
I received my certificate yesterday (Friday).

Very nice. :D

I will have to come up with a way to display it...

Bob

How about Hobby Lobby--half off this week on Shadow boxes and framing (and rocketry stuff is marked down 30% as well)?

jadebox
08-31-2008, 10:46 AM
We got ours (#1096) yesterday. A corner got a little wet, but it could have been worse with all the rain we've had lately. I used a letter opener to peel up the flap on the back in order to not mess up the envelope. Like others, I plan to somehow make a display of the envelope, certificate, (and what's left of) our Golden Scout.

-- Roger

Initiator001
08-31-2008, 05:16 PM
How about Hobby Lobby--half off this week on Shadow boxes and framing (and rocketry stuff is marked down 30% as well)?

There are no Hobby Lobby stores in San Diego, CA. :(

Bob

Mark II
09-01-2008, 01:18 PM
There are no Hobby Lobby stores in San Diego, CA. :(

Bob
Or in the Northeastern US. :(

(or in the Oort Cloud, either...)

Mark \\.

Leo
09-01-2008, 01:44 PM
none in Germany aswell, so I'm still waiting :(

Leo
09-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Woohoo, my certificate came in today and in best condition :)

Love it :)

Ltvscout
09-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Got mine today as well. Will wait till later to carefully unseal it. ;)

Leo
09-02-2008, 10:38 AM
Here a quicky picture :)

http://www.leo.nutz.de/images/rockets/forums/SkyofGold_Certificate.jpg

Now to find a suitable frame :)

rstaff3
09-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Ditto on the thanks to all involved. Mine has a crease in the middle but it still just awesome. I think I like the postmark almost as much. I only wish I'd have found the Scout to display with it. I guess I could build the one in the tube. :eek:

Carl@Semroc
09-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Ditto on the thanks to all involved. Mine has a crease in the middle but it still just awesome. I think I like the postmark almost as much. I only wish I'd have found the Scout to display with it. I guess I could build the one in the tube. :eek:A replacement is on the way. You do not have to build the Red Scout!

snaquin
09-02-2008, 02:50 PM
It might be a while before my certificate shows up. I had the gut feeling it would have been delivered on Saturday but because of Hurricane Gustav there was no mail service Saturday and now with the mandatory evacuation and the parish still without power and until streets are cleared they won't allow anyone to return.

I have a nice case for my Golden Scout and plans on how to frame and display the certificate and postmarked envelope when I do get it!

rstaff3
09-02-2008, 02:57 PM
A replacement is on the way. You do not have to build the Red Scout!

Wow, that is very generous of you. Thanks! Now I feel like an extortionist holding the Red Scout hostage and threatening to build it. :D

Rocket Doctor
09-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Here a quicky picture :)

http://www.leo.nutz.de/images/rockets/forums/SkyofGold_Certificate.jpg

Now to find a suitable frame :)

Hey Leo
Rocket Mail works wonders over the "big pond".

RD

ga1ba2
09-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Got mine today, Mail lady folded it but not too bad, I'll just lay something heavy on it and wait a few days.

rstaff3
09-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Carl, the Scout arrived...thanks again! And it's numbered! Schweeet.

OT, but what other Groonies are on the drawing board?

mojo1986
09-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Got my Golden Scout certificate today! Gotta LOVE that special Penrose postmark honoring Vern and Gleda! Wow! Really great! A big thank you to RD and Semroc for their efforts to make this happen, and, of course, to Vern and Gleda for their participation!

Joe

Skippy
09-04-2008, 04:46 PM
My certificate arrived in Melbourne, Australia on the 2nd. I have to echo the thoughts of others here; an absolutely fantastic project and the certificate and postmark are the icing on the cake!

Gus
09-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Like everything else in this project, the certificates are absolutely first rate.

Very nicely done, as were the address labels with the flight numbers.

And the postmark was the piece de resistance.

It would never have occured to me to try to arrange for a special postmark. How one goes about getting one approved is a total mystery to me. The only other place I routinely see special postmarks like that is on the commemorative space first day cancellation envelopes I see for sale on ebay. Really a fantastic idea, guys!

Congratulations again on completing such a wonderful project. It was incredibly well conceived, organized, and executed, from start to finish.

Royatl
09-04-2008, 09:42 PM
It would never have occured to me to try to arrange for a special postmark. How one goes about getting one approved is a total mystery to me. The only other place I routinely see special postmarks like that is on the commemorative space first day cancellation envelopes I see for sale on ebay. Really a fantastic idea, guys!

Of course it helps when the existence of the post office itself is owed to the honorees.
;)

(not THE Post Office, but the Penrose Post Office, of course!)

Rocket Doctor
09-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Like everything else in this project, the certificates are absolutely first rate.

Very nicely done, as were the address labels with the flight numbers.

And the postmark was the piece de resistance.

Congratulations again on completing such a wonderful project. It was incredibly well conceived, organized, and executed, from start to finish.

Vern and Gleda arranged for the special postmark through the efforts of the postmaster at the Penrose post office.

There were some conditions that had to be met, and, the final design submitted and approved.

This is special as mail from that area goes to Colorado Springs to be processed.

When was the last time that you received mail postmarked "Penrose"?

Those were the good old days, the Penrose postmark and the Estes Industries logo on the boxes and all the great kits,supplies and motors contained within.

And, the CATALOGS.................

dwmzmm
09-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Got my two Golden Scout certificates last week (couldn't post to this effect as my computer
has been off-line until early this week). As others have mentioned, even the envelope with
the special post marks is really cool. I was careful to use a sharp knife to carefully cut a slit
on one end so the envelopes would look untouched.

I plan to get four frames for my certificates; two for the certificates and two for the envelopes.

snaquin
09-13-2008, 11:51 PM
I finally got my frames and case set up to display my Golden Scout.

pantherjon
09-14-2008, 09:00 AM
Very cool!:cool: Where did you find the display case?

snaquin
09-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Very cool!:cool: Where did you find the display case?

Jon,

I ordered the case from here:

http://www.casesforcollectibles.com/

It is the 4x4x8 Acrylic Box. Although the site states that all dimension are "inside dimensions" the 4x4x7" Acrylic Box is too small, even though the Golden Scout is less than 7" tall. They do not take into consideration the base taking up some of the inside dimension.

The frames are the inexpensive acrylic stand up frames from Michael's (use the 50% off coupons).

I spent a little money on this set up but most of the inexpensive doll cases I found were really cheap looking and an upside down mason jar just didn't seem appropriate given the significance of this event and how proud I am to have a signed model. My name tag fits in the case and I thought it looked really good displayed in that manner.

Rocket Doctor
09-18-2008, 08:00 PM
I finally got my frames and case set up to display my Golden Scout.

FANTASTIC Steve

barone
09-19-2008, 02:47 PM
I was at Hobby Lobby today and found some display cases in with the plastic models. $7.99 for one 8" X 3.88" X 3.??". With the 40% off coupon, you're talking about $4.80 each.

barone
09-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Here's my Golden Scout inside the display case I picked up at Hobby Lobby. I CAed the spindle from a 100 disc CD case to the bottom of the case and used an expended motor on the end of that to hold the model in place.