PDA

View Full Version : Today's Find!

Rustee
09-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Well Boys and Girls,this is one heck of a story. I wasn't going to go to work today,but I did and one of my customers told me about a hobby shop that I never heard of that had rockets,and the rest is history...Centuri Apollo Saturn 1B No.2139 and an Estes Master's Series Space Shuttle! The main body tube of the Saturn is flattened and the plastic thingy is broken,otherwise I think it's all there and the bags are unopened. The Shuttle is sealed. Pretty cool eh?

tbzep
09-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Good find!

Are you going to build them? I'd at least build the Saturn since you have the bad tube. :cool:

I used to have my old Centuri Saturn 1B and V boxes hanging on the wall for decoration. I wonder if they are still at my parents after all these years. :rolleyes:

kurtschachner
09-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Very, very cool. The Saturn 1b is very rare.

Can you PLEASE scan in all the stuff from the Saturn 1b? Especially the silver service module wrap? Actually everything is much needed.

Again a very nice find.

Well Boys and Girls,this is one heck of a story. I wasn't going to go to work today,but I did and one of my customers told me about a hobby shop that I never heard of that had rockets,and the rest is history...Centuri Appolo Saturn 1B No.2139 and an Estes Master's Series Space Shuttle! The main body tube of the Saturn is flattened and the plastic thingy is broken,otherwise I think it's all there and the bags are unopened. The Shuttle is sealed. Pretty cool eh?

Rustee
09-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Well, I suppose someone may try to pry these away from me and I don't know if the tube is replaceable,maybe it's easily fixed but I don't have any plans to build them. They would make seriously impressive display models though...

Rustee
09-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Hey,cool avatar Kurtschachner and thanks. Is this wrap the chrome silver one that you refer to? Whatever I do the bags will remain sealed for now though, I'm still basking in my glory.

Carl@Semroc
09-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Rustee,

Great find!

Just found that BT-100Z is not the same Estes 30436 in the Saturn 1B!

tbzep
09-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Rustee,

Great find!

But only if you build it! :D

Just kidding. It's yours to enjoy. :cool:

kurtschachner
09-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Hey,cool avatar Kurtschachner and thanks. Is this wrap the chrome silver one that you refer to? Whatever I do the bags will remain sealed for now though, I'm still basking in my glory.

Yes, it is that wrap.

No, I see a verrry small tear in that bag already. I can't believe you missed it.

Oh well, since it is already torn then you can open it the rest of the way to scan everything ;)

kurtschachner
09-02-2008, 09:16 PM
No it is not. This is the same (more or less) as the later Estes 1/100 scale Saturn 1b, which is like the Centuri 1/100 scale Saturn 1b, which is what Rustee has ;)

Rustee,

Great find!

Rustee
09-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Do you mean the top of one bag that came away? The thermal seal is unbroken however,I did notice that of course. The other one is in perfect condition. Darn.

kurtschachner
09-03-2008, 07:27 AM
I was only yanking your chain. I didn't see a tear, but now that you say there is one...

Is the silver wrap separate or in that bag? If it is in the bag, can you orient it such that you could scan it through the bag?

All that is really missing between the Estes reissue of that kit and the original is that wrap. Any kind of scan is really appreciated.

Do you mean the top of one bag that came away? The thermal seal is unbroken however,I did notice that of course. The other one is in perfect condition. Darn.

Ltvscout
09-03-2008, 08:04 AM
Is the silver wrap separate or in that bag? If it is in the bag, can you orient it such that you could scan it through the bag?

All that is really missing between the Estes reissue of that kit and the original is that wrap. Any kind of scan is really appreciated.
The instructions are different as well. Hopefully Rustee will scan or have those scanned for YORP as well. ;)

tbzep
09-03-2008, 08:08 AM
The instructions are different as well. Hopefully Rustee will scan or have those scanned for YORP as well. ;)

I saved the instructions from my 1B and V. Unfortunately, I don't know where they are now considering I built them ~30 years ago. One of these days I'm going to get organized. :rolleyes:

kurtschachner
09-03-2008, 08:40 AM
Actually I have a set of the instructions at home. I don't recall where I got them from, maybe it was you :)

Ltvscout
09-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Actually I have a set of the instructions at home. I don't recall where I got them from, maybe it was you :)
Heh, I wonder. I still have what's left of my built Centuri 1b. I know the directions are around somewhere. Maybe they ended up over there years ago.

Rustee
09-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Hi,can someone tell me anything about the Space Shuttle that might be remarkble in some kind of far-out,rocketry-collecting kind of way Man?

kurtschachner
09-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Hi,can someone tell me anything about the Space Shuttle that might be remarkble in some kind of far-out,rocketry-collecting kind of way Man?

No, I have a few and I know of hobby shops that still have the kit for a reasonable price. It's a good kit, you should build it IMO. It's pretty impressive on your shelf and if you take care in trimming the glider, it will work.

kurtschachner
09-03-2008, 08:53 PM
I have the 1b instructions right here, I'll scan them tomorrow and mail them to you.

Heh, I wonder. I still have what's left of my built Centuri 1b. I know the directions are around somewhere. Maybe they ended up over there years ago.

kurtschachner
09-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Scott has the Saturn V instructions on this site, as well as a copy of the original, hand-drawn markups from Keith Niskern!

I saved the instructions from my 1B and V. Unfortunately, I don't know where they are now considering I built them ~30 years ago. One of these days I'm going to get organized. :rolleyes:

Ltvscout
09-03-2008, 10:53 PM
I have the 1b instructions right here, I'll scan them tomorrow and mail them to you.
No need to mail them. A number of years ago a wise man named Algore invented this newfangled thing called the INTERNET. You can now actually send information digitally! I hear it looks and works a lot like when that kid got himself transmitted into the TV on Willy Wonka. :D

barone
09-04-2008, 06:14 AM
No need to mail them. A number of years ago a wise man named Algore invented this newfangled thing called the INTERNET. You can now actually send information digitally! I hear it looks and works a lot like when that kid got himself transmitted into the TV on Willy Wonka. :D
ROTFLMAO! :D

Rustee
09-05-2008, 01:33 AM
Yes,the Shuttle could be built,I'm choosing boost gliders as my niche hence the Sweet Vee I just picked up. This would be very impressive built up,absolutely. I wanted to be sure I wasn't going to hack up anything really rare. The 1B,I took the pics and it's staying in the box. I really have two choices,keep it as a piece of rocket history and an awesome story,or sell it for at least five times what I paid for it. Wish I still had my Omega-P... I'll probably take Plankton's advice on the Shuttle,I'm not really a hoarder. My Redstone and Menace are a couple more recent additions as MIP. I currently have 11 fliers if I need to press the button!

Royatl
09-05-2008, 08:51 AM
Well, I suppose someone may try to pry these away from me and I don't know if the tube is replaceable,maybe it's easily fixed but I don't have any plans to build them. They would make seriously impressive display models though...

The main tube (how did it get flattened like that!?) should be equivalent to Estes BT-80. The other tubes would've been more difficult to replace.

kurtschachner
09-05-2008, 11:55 AM
I think a related question is just how tall IS that box? It looks as though it's about 1 1/2 inches high?!?

Obviously that box must be at least as high as that tube, but from your pictures it looks like it's about as high as the flattened tube ;)

The main tube (how did it get flattened like that!?) should be equivalent to Estes BT-80. The other tubes would've been more difficult to replace.

Royatl
09-05-2008, 12:45 PM

Hmm. My immediate follow up didn't get posted for some reason:

I measured the tube in my Estes version of the kit and found that the tube is a teeny bit larger, and thinner walled, than stock BT80. BT80 might work, but you might have to squeeze the tank tubes a bit, or peel a layer or two from the inside of the BT80.