PDA

View Full Version : Help making a choice

Race58
09-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Well I'm down to 2 choices for my first large mid-power rocket to get. Eventually I will get both but I'm trying to decide which one to get first. Both are priced around $100.00

Madcow's Bomarc
http://www.madcowrocketry.com/servlet/Detail?no=63

OR

Aerotech's G-Force
http://www.commonwealth.net/cgi-bin/info.pl?prodcode=AROGFORCE&url=at/gforce.htm

STRMan
09-06-2008, 01:30 PM
They both look cool, but the Bomarc looks like a lot more work. If you enjoy the building process more than the flying process, I'd say go for the Bomarc. If you want to get in the air, go for the G-Force.

Bob Kaplow
09-06-2008, 02:00 PM
These are both VERY different rockets. A 2.6" scale model vs a 4" 3 plastic fins & a nose cone.

And I guess you'll need to give YOUR definition of a "Mid Power Rocket". If you're talking something that can be flown with E-F-G composite motors, then I'd look at the AT Initiator, the LOC Graduator, or something that size. If you're looking for something you can eventually L1 cert with, then my recommendation for the past 2 decades has always been the LOC IV.

My personal bias is against anything with plastic fins. And my recommendation for a first LMR and/or HPR rocket has always been to stick with the technology you're already familiar with. There is nothing wrong with phenolic, G10, plastic tube, and all those other cool materials, but for your first step you should use something you've used before. If you've used those materials before, great, PML makes some really nice kits. But if you're familiar with only paper tubes and wood fins, stick with LOC or something like that. And don't believe any one that tells you that these rockets must be built with Epoxy. As long as you're working with paper tubes and wood fins and rings, a good yellow glue will do fine. Even for L1 / L2 class rockets.

BTW, does any one know if THOY rockets are still around? I built a 2.6" THOY Hornet (Initiator / Graduator equivalent) using nothing but yellow glue, and have flown it on D through H238 power with no problem.

Ltvscout
09-06-2008, 02:05 PM
BTW, does any one know if THOY rockets are still around? I built a 2.6" THOY Hornet (Initiator / Graduator equivalent) using nothing but yellow glue, and have flown it on D through H238 power with no problem.
They are long gone.

Race58
09-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Bob,,
I'm sorry I suppose I should have been more specific as how I got down to these two.

First of all. I like to build and fly. To me I have always loved the building in whatever hobby I did. R/C planes,boats,rockets (of course) and model cars,boats & airplanes.
I really enjoy building something complex in R/C and rockets and then watch my efforts preform. I never build a rocket,r/c plane, or boat that I don't intend to fly or float.
I feel that if I build it then it should be operational and not a display. ;)

With that said,, I also like flying rockets "Just to Fly". This time I'm just looking for a FUN large rocket for the "OOh and Ahh" factor. If it is a "Builders" or "Scale" kit that's great and if it is easy to build or not scale but different or fun (Like Saucers for an example)then that's OK too.
I want to use "G" motors in the various colors,noise & smoke for low and slow launches in a smaller field. :D I also want an option to go to "H"'s at a later time .
These are both VERY different rockets. A 2.6" scale model vs a 4" 3 plastic fins & a nose cone.

And I guess you'll need to give YOUR definition of a "Mid Power Rocket". If you're talking something that can be flown with E-F-G composite motors, then I'd look at the AT Initiator, the LOC Graduator, or something that size. If you're looking for something you can eventually L1 cert with, then my recommendation for the past 2 decades has always been the LOC IV.

My personal bias is against anything with plastic fins. And my recommendation for a first LMR and/or HPR rocket has always been to stick with the technology you're already familiar with. There is nothing wrong with phenolic, G10, plastic tube, and all those other cool materials, but for your first step you should use something you've used before. If you've used those materials before, great, PML makes some really nice kits. But if you're familiar with only paper tubes and wood fins, stick with LOC or something like that. And don't believe any one that tells you that these rockets must be built with Epoxy. As long as you're working with paper tubes and wood fins and rings, a good yellow glue will do fine. Even for L1 / L2 class rockets.

jdbectec
09-06-2008, 10:54 PM
An Aerotech kit is always pretty safe for a first foray into larger motors, however I agree with Bob the materials in LOC kits would be more familiar to most builders of Estes-type rockets. As for THOY kits, I know Gary Buck(owner fo Rocket R&D, THOY, etc.) personally, and for quite some time. He ceased production due to health concerns of his wife JR and was looking into selling the company. I expressed an interest in producing THOY kits under license, but they prefered to sell the company lock stock and barrel. Unfortunatly JR just recently passed away what becomes of the rocket business is at this time unknown. If you know Gary please send him your sympathies.