PDA

View Full Version : Centuri Saturn 1B

Rustee
09-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Hi,I'm thinking I might sell the Saturn,I'll probably never build it and since my hobbies are self-financing it's a good candidate. See my thread titled "Today's find!" under Kit Collecting for pics. I'd like to give you guys a heads-up before it goes on Ebay,thanks.

kurtschachner
09-13-2008, 02:42 PM
Are you *sure* you can't manipulate that service module wrap so it comes to the front of the bag, and then scan it in for us?

:)

Rustee
09-14-2008, 11:09 AM
I'm quite sure, I have no motivation to give it away for free so someone else could copy it,sealed up or not,sorry. The whole thing is available however,now how could I be more generous than that? I think most people would call it foolish actually,how could I top this find?

barone
09-14-2008, 11:48 AM
I'm quite sure, I have no motivation to give it away for free so someone else could copy it,sealed up or not,sorry. The whole thing is available however,now how could I be more generous than that? I think most people would call it foolish actually,how could I top this find?
Are you giving us a heads-up or an opportunity to purchase before putting it on E-Bay? If you are giving us the opportunity, what are you asking for it?

kurtschachner
09-14-2008, 01:47 PM
What? Asking to copy something that will surely sell (and for a lot)?

Geez, if I had that attitude there would be a whole lot less decaled clones than there are now.

Rustee
09-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Hi,absolutely I would entertain offers here first before Ebay as YORF members seem to be some pretty serious(rabid?) collectors and I'm also a YORF member. Send a PM if you're interested,thanks.

Rustee
09-18-2008, 12:24 AM
Well,I'll see what I can do about the wrap,I might be able to scale it up from the plans. You must understand that I must try to keep it as pristine as possible.

Gus
10-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Are you *sure* you can't manipulate that service module wrap so it comes to the front of the bag, and then scan it in for us?

:)
Kurt,

There is a partially built Centuri Saturn 1b up on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-VINTAGE-1969-CENTURI-APOLLO-SATURN-1B-ROCKET-KIT_W0QQitemZ320309891181QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320309891181&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14) right now and I noticed the untouched Service Module wrap among the pieces included with the model. Since the wrap was already out of the plastic I contacted the seller and asked if they might consider scanning it for us (I explained how there is no scan of it in the archives and someone who couldn't afford an original kit might then be able to clone one). A very nice lady named Francois responded, in limited English, with a number of photos of the kit including one of the service wrap (below).

Whether her English was too limited to understand, or if she did not have access to a scanner, I don't know. But this very nice person tried to help us out and I don't have the heart to impose upon her any more.

But I thought you want to keep a watch on the auction and ask the buyer if they might help us out. Or, if you speak French, you might try contacting Francois through the ebay listing.

Again, really a nice gesture from this eBay seller .

Steve

barone
10-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Kurt,

There is a partially built Centuri Saturn 1b up on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-VINTAGE-1969-CENTURI-APOLLO-SATURN-1B-ROCKET-KIT_W0QQitemZ320309891181QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320309891181&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14) right now and I noticed the untouched Service Module wrap among the pieces included with the model. Since the wrap was already out of the plastic I contacted the seller and asked if they might consider scanning it for us (I explained how there is no scan of it in the archives and someone who couldn't afford an original kit might then be able to clone one). A very nice lady named Francois responded, in limited English, with a number of photos of the kit including one of the service wrap (below).

Whether her English was too limited to understand, or if she did not have access to a scanner, I don't know. But this very nice person tried to help us out and I don't have the heart to impose upon her any more.

But I thought you want to keep a watch on the auction and ask the buyer if they might help us out. Or, if you speak French, you might try contacting Francois through the ebay listing.

Steve
Steve,

That silver wouldn't scan very well anyway. Everytime I've tried to scan something like that, it turned out black because of the light reflecting back into the optical reader.

Gus
10-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Steve,

That silver wouldn't scan very well anyway. Everytime I've tried to scan something like that, it turned out black because of the light reflecting back into the optical reader.

Don,

You're probably right.

Maybe that's why I've been having so much trouble using all those quarters I scanned in the pop machine. ;)

barone
10-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Don,

You're probably right.

Maybe that's why I've been having so much trouble using all those quarters I scanned in the pop machine. ;)
ROTFLMAO! (Hey...anyone find a chuckling icon yet?)

kurtschachner
10-13-2008, 07:55 PM
Well, here's a cheap and dirty redraw based on that photo. Based on what I could see, that is. The rest is a guess.

What is the OD of the Centuri SM tube? IIRC it wasn't exactly BT-58, right? If I knew that I could at least get it the right width.

You also wouldn't draw it exactly like I have here if you were going to cut one out. The black lines would get in the way so I'd probably use little cut markers instead.

Anyway, thanks for contacting her and FWIW here is the wrap.

Kurt,

Steve

barone
10-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Well, here's a cheap and dirty redraw based on that photo. Based on what I could see, that is. The rest is a guess.

What is the OD of the Centuri SM tube? IIRC it wasn't exactly BT-58, right? If I knew that I could at least get it the right width.

You also wouldn't draw it exactly like I have here if you were going to cut one out. The black lines would get in the way so I'd probably use little cut markers instead.

Well, if it's a 1/70 scale, the wrap should be 7" long .........

kurtschachner
10-13-2008, 08:43 PM
Well no, it is a published 1/100 scale but I doubt it was exactly exact :D

Well, if it's a 1/70 scale, the wrap should be 7" long .........

ghrocketman
10-14-2008, 11:58 AM
The original ESTES kit K-29 was 1/70 scale.
The Centuri 1B kit and the early 90's Estes 1B kit (basically a re-created Centuri kit) were 1/100 scale, which is the same as the Estes and Centuri Saturn V kits.

jetlag
10-14-2008, 12:22 PM

Fabulous job, Kurt! Many thanks for all your hard work. A simple matter to print it out and lay it over a Monocote chrome trim sheet and draw it out, then cut! I would suggest using slightly soapy water to get it aligned properly on the SM.
Also, its positioning relative to the entire rocket.
Allen

Gus
10-15-2008, 02:42 AM
Kurt,

Really nice job on the outline.

I'm glad the photo helped.

Steve

Rustee
10-18-2008, 07:36 PM
This goes on Ebay today,the main body tube is no longer flattened. Other than the tank shroud piece it's in excellent condition and the box is in pretty good shape. See my posts under Kit Collecting,everything could possibly be for sale if you have to have it!

timorley
01-17-2009, 09:37 AM
I just bought a partially started Centuri Saturn 1B 1/100. I saw this thread and decided to try scanning it. I've provided it 2 ways here, one with the foil screened back so you can see how the whole foil piece looks and the second with just the black lines, which is what you need to use as the cutting guide. Came out pretty good. I get around the all black scan by scanning it, then editing it and adjusting the image's threshold a utility like Photoshop along with some minimal cleanup. These are 300dpi gray scale scans in jpeg format.

tbzep
01-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the scans, Tim.

If someone wants to use this on a Semroc kit, I believe all you'd need to do is upscale it by 1.428571429 (100/70) before printing at 300 dpi.

LeeR
01-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the scans, Tim.

If someone wants to use this on a Semroc kit, I believe all you'd need to do is upscale it by 1.428571429 (100/70) before printing at 300 dpi.

Be careful just using ratios of scale factors, since those scale factors are often just approximations. (i.e that 1/70 scale might really be 1/69.37422 -- but rounded for "Marketing" purposes).

Better to compare the different diameters of the various main body tubes, and use those as your scaling factor. Rockets of the World would be an easy reference for real dimensions of real rockets, and then pick your tube size to determine the real scaling factor/ratio for all other dimensions. For scaling old kits up or down, just use ratios of the different body tubes used.

tbzep
01-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Be careful just using ratios of scale factors, since those scale factors are often just approximations. (i.e that 1/70 scale might really be 1/69.37422 -- but rounded for "Marketing" purposes).

Better to compare the different diameters of the various main body tubes, and use those as your scaling factor. Rockets of the World would be an easy reference for real dimensions of real rockets, and then pick your tube size to determine the real scaling factor/ratio for all other dimensions. For scaling old kits up or down, just use ratios of the different body tubes used.

True. However, over the years I've found that even when I use body tube diameters to calculate the exact scale factor, I sometimes have to tweak because not every paint/image program, printer, etc. will print exactly the same as the next. I always do a test print, test fit, then make the final high quality decal, wrap, etc. So no matter what number I type, it is going to be ever so slightly off for somebody, even if it's perfect for me. The number I posted will get people in the ballpark if they have brain freeze and forget how to scale it. They can tweak up or down from there.

I would have said 1.4x or 1.42x, but then the anal retentives would have come out of the woodwork and told me that I wasn't precise enough....just the opposite of your comment. ;)

kurtschachner
01-17-2009, 06:42 PM
OK, here is a trace of the posted scan. Thanks Tim for taking the time to scan and post from your kit.

timorley
01-17-2009, 08:09 PM
OK, here is a trace of the posted scan. Thanks Tim for taking the time to scan and post from your kit.

Thanks for taking the extra step of supplying a clean tracing.