PDA

View Full Version : Estes Stormchaser on an E9

STRMan
09-14-2008, 08:07 PM
I started assembling an Estes Storm Chaser yesterday. I decided to modify it to be able to launch on E9 engines as well as C11's and D12's. I just substituted the original engine hook for a longer E9 motor hook and mounted the engine block farther up the tube. I can't believe Estes didn't sell this model as an E power rocket to begin with. It is plenty strong with the fins mounting through the outer BT and onto the motor mount. I papered the fins as well just to make it a bit stronger.

When I'm done I'll try to swing test it to see if I need a little clay in the nose cone to keep the stability where it needs to be. What a fun build.

jj94
09-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Cool. You might be able to fly AT's new 25/60 case in it too, if the forward closure has clearance space from the top hook that goes through the motor tube.

rokitflite
09-16-2008, 10:46 PM
Storm CHASER or Storm CASTER? :confused:

STRMan
09-17-2008, 05:56 AM
Storm CHASER or Storm CASTER? :confused:

Storm Caster. It was a typo. I immediately saw it after I posted, and went back and tried to edit the thread name, but I guess it didn't work. Sorry.

I've got the yellow on already. I will be putting on the gray tonight.

BoosterDude
09-17-2008, 10:06 AM
The StormCaster should get some serious altitude on the E9 no doubt. I get great flights with the D12-7 with very high altitudes. The Storm Caster is very light weight so it should be great with E power. It's really my favorite rocket because every flight is arrow straight.

LeeR
09-18-2008, 10:06 PM
Funny, I bought a Storm Caster 2 nights ago (and thought it said Storm Chaser, which is a better name, IMHO...). It was the only thing I could find worthy of purchase at Michael's using the 50% off coupon. Sad ours has such little selection.

Anyway, I didn't like the swept fins, so I marked the trailing edge at midpoint, cut them off, and re-glued them upside down to make a delta-like fin. Here is picture of them, plus plugged into the slots to see what it will look like. Odd how they fit so well with the end of the tube.

I'm gearing up to start airbrushing again, so I wanted some simple rockets to practice on. Maybe this weekend...

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii220/hobbes_pics/Miscellaneous%20Rockets/th_storm001.jpg (http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii220/hobbes_pics/Miscellaneous%20Rockets/storm001.jpg)
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii220/hobbes_pics/Miscellaneous%20Rockets/th_storm002.jpg (http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii220/hobbes_pics/Miscellaneous%20Rockets/storm002.jpg)

STRMan
09-18-2008, 11:20 PM
I find I'm going nuts with the finish on mine. I've already painted the nose cone and fin area yellow, and I used gunmetal gray for the body. After about three coats of each color, I then put on two coats of clear coat. Now, I've done another light sanding, and I'm going to hit it with the final clear coat tomorrow.

After a couple of days, I'll put on the stickers and hit it with two coats of Future. I'll post some pics soon.

So, this model flies well on a D12-7? Do you think an E9-8 would be the right engine? Estes recommends a D12-5, so I was thinking an E9-6 would be about right.

dwmzmm
09-19-2008, 02:08 PM
I find I'm going nuts with the finish on mine. I've already painted the nose cone and fin area yellow, and I used gunmetal gray for the body. After about three coats of each color, I then put on two coats of clear coat. Now, I've done another light sanding, and I'm going to hit it with the final clear coat tomorrow.

After a couple of days, I'll put on the stickers and hit it with two coats of Future. I'll post some pics soon.

So, this model flies well on a D12-7? Do you think an E9-8 would be the right engine? Estes recommends a D12-5, so I was thinking an E9-6 would be about right.

My daughter (now nine years old) has one (won as a door prize at one of the NHRC's club
party), and, of course, I built and painted it for her. Flew it once on a D12-5 (but modified
it to use the E9's) and the D12 took it nearly out of sight. Despite no wind that day, it took
a LONG time for the StormCaster to parachute down. You put an E9 in it, you'll be asking
for something else..... ;). I have some pics of that launch somewhere, maybe when I get the
time I'll scan them and post it in this thread. The Estes StormCaster is an excellent model
rocket and a real bargain, even at the MSRP.

STRMan
09-21-2008, 11:49 PM
Well, all I have to do is apply a couple of coats of Future. I think it came out rather nice, I must say!

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/STRMan/DSC01093-1.jpg

dwmzmm
10-03-2008, 11:38 PM
Mentioned earlier in this thread that I was going to post some pics of my daughter's
StormCaster's first flight. Well, here it is!

This flight took place a couple of years ago, at our (Challenger 498) previous launch site at
Rushing Park, near Katy, TX. Used a D12-5, and this sent the model nearly out of sight. I can
imagine what an E9 would do!

GIJoe
10-23-2008, 10:20 PM
Great looking model, you are going to love the long burn of the E9-8 in that bird. I have one just like it, I added a Boat Tail from BMS to the back end though. I once sent it up on an F39, won't be doing that again. Found it by accident since no one saw the ejection. Found it retrieving another one of my birds later in the day. Storm Caster is one of my favorite kits, I have used it as a basis for a few other birds.

STRMan
10-24-2008, 08:40 AM
Mentioned earlier in this thread that I was going to post some pics of my daughter's
StormCaster's first flight. Well, here it is!

This flight took place a couple of years ago, at our (Challenger 498) previous launch site at
Rushing Park, near Katy, TX. Used a D12-5, and this sent the model nearly out of sight. I can
imagine what an E9 would do!

Did you add any nose weight to counteract the extra weight of an E9? I'm wondering if the added weight might make it over stable on a C11.

dwmzmm
10-24-2008, 09:17 AM
Did you add any nose weight to counteract the extra weight of an E9? I'm wondering if the added weight might make it over stable on a C11.

Haven't flown it on an E9 yet; the D12 takes it to really high altitudes. My gut feeling is the
StormCaster should be very stable as is (no nose weight needed)....

GIJoe
10-24-2008, 03:00 PM
I did not add any nose weight at all, you should not have any troubles with yours since I also added a boat tail to the end of my Storm Caster. EMMR list's the CP at around 24.6 or 25.3 inches from the nose. On Rocksim, mine came out at 24.1. Anyone of these should be good, but as a precaution you could use mine, but remember I have a boat tail on mine and it adds weight to the wrong end. With an E9-8 installed I have a margin of of 1.2. I pulled up just the Storm Caster in Rocksim without the boat tail and the CP comes in at around 24.6. With the E9-8 installed your margin will still be an Overstable 2.65. Altitude prediction is around 1500', but I never pay much attention to those numbers. Good luck and have fun with I certainly love mine.