PDA

View Full Version : Estes Delta Clipper

thompsonfive
09-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Hi all,

First post here although I've been on the "other" forum for a while. I'm not to familiar with this one so forgive me if I'm in the wrong area with this.

I'm interested in cloning or collecting a Delta Clipper. There is nothing on Ebay at the moment, and the plans on Jim-Z don't have a parts list. In addition to that the information I've been able to dig up has been pretty scant so far. Has anyone cloned one of these yet, or are the parts not standard? Would I just be better off waiting for one to appear on Ebay? Also as a point of curiosity, that PNC has an adapter of some sort that is discarded for the Clipper. Anyone know what rocket that was for originally?

Thanks,

Sam

zog139
09-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Sam is this the one you are looking for ? A lot of nice work has been done by volunteers scanning kits, templates, fins,decals etc.

Jim

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/estes/est2067/est2067.htm

thompsonfive
09-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Yep, that's the one I've been looking at. Unfortunately Estes didn't include part numbers like they sometimes do in the instructions, so the only thing I can do is try to infer all the dimensions from the ruler on the parts photo below. But before I start monkeying around with it I wanted to see if I can benefit from anyone elses experience. Because if this has any major non standard parts (i.e. stuff I can't get from Semroc) I'd be more inclined to wait for a kit to surface.

tbzep
09-18-2008, 12:52 PM
IIRC, it is the same diameter and uses the same nosecone as some of the plastic finned kits like the Bandit, Rampage, Dagger, etc. that were produced at the same time. I believe it is a 1" tube, slightly larger than a BT-50.

Doug Sams
09-18-2008, 12:53 PM
I'm interested in cloning or collecting a Delta Clipper....and the plans on Jim-Z don't have a parts list. http://www.dars.org/jimz/est2067.htm

Did you click on the black/white pic near the bottom? All the dimensions are there.

BTW, IIRC, this rocket uses HBT1000, which is a heavy duty (thick walled) 1" tube. The nearest fit is ST10, and BT-50 is a reasonable swap (Couplers, nosecones, etc, would have to be substituted accordingly).

[EDIT] I should add, after you get it finished, when you fly it, take a picture. A minimum diameter bird on a D12-D12 combo ain't likely coming back :)

Doug

thompsonfive
09-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Wow, what a dope I am! I just looked right past that picture of the calipers, never occurred to me there might be something linked to it.

"Tubes used in this kit are non-standard. The specs. in the catalog
and on the box are INCORRECT! The specs say the Dia. is 1" however
the tubes measure 1.084". The sizes given here are taken directly
from the actual kit parts and have been taken with a dial caliper."

So it looks like some improvisation is required.

I know what you mean about taking a picture. I wouldn't dare to fly this at my local park, only at CMASS launches.

Doug Sams
09-18-2008, 01:12 PM
So it looks like some improvisation is required.You mentioned Semroc. They carry both ST10 and BT-50, along with couplers, rings, nosecones, etc, for both tubes. I'd say you'll probably find more accessories that fit the BT-50, but they have both sizes.

In fact, if you email them what you're building, they may even already have it worked out (ie, a sort of unreleased short kit).

Doug

thompsonfive
09-18-2008, 01:15 PM
Thanks Doug,

I think I will. I noticed they have a page for it, but it's blank, like it's just a place holder or something. You can't find it from their search engine, but Google indexed it.

thompsonfive
09-18-2008, 01:49 PM
To which Semroc replied:

Sam,

That one has some unique tube sizes and couplers. We will probably not stock
those since this is the only kit that I have found that uses them.

Thanks,
Carl

Looks like I will have to approximate it on my own.

Doug Sams
09-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Looks like I will have to approximate it on my own.Attached is a quick swag at BOMs for both sizes. Some tube trimming will be required, and you'll need to think thru the effects of motor block thickness on tube lengths. If the ring is a bit thicker, then its tube may need to be cut a hair longer to compensate.

Doug

thompsonfive
09-18-2008, 03:17 PM
Whoa, thanks Doug. I'll let you know how it goes.

barone
09-18-2008, 04:06 PM
Something else that can help, not that it appears you need any now, but here on YORF the person supplying the plans can be contacted for additional help. Of course their real names are used on the plans section but you can probably PM Scott to get the handle and then PM them.

So, you looking for a Delta Clipper....... :D

snaquin
09-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Hi all,

First post here although I've been on the "other" forum for a while. I'm not to familiar with this one so forgive me if I'm in the wrong area with this.

I'm interested in cloning or collecting a Delta Clipper. There is nothing on Ebay at the moment, and the plans on Jim-Z don't have a parts list. In addition to that the information I've been able to dig up has been pretty scant so far. Has anyone cloned one of these yet, or are the parts not standard? Would I just be better off waiting for one to appear on Ebay? Also as a point of curiosity, that PNC has an adapter of some sort that is discarded for the Clipper. Anyone know what rocket that was for originally?

Thanks,

Sam

For $18.50 you can't beat the Semroc Arcon-Hi.

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KV-15

I would purchase that and cut delta clipper fins for it.

Just a suggestion if you are looking for something close.

thompsonfive
09-18-2008, 06:50 PM
Something else that can help, not that it appears you need any now, but here on YORF the person supplying the plans can be contacted for additional help. Of course their real names are used on the plans section but you can probably PM Scott to get the handle and then PM them.

Thanks for the tip. You are a friendly lot here.

So, you looking for a Delta Clipper....... :D

You selling, or asking? ;)

Doug Sams
09-18-2008, 06:52 PM

I would purchase that and cut delta clipper fins for it.Steve,

That's a good suggestion, except the Delta Clipper is 24mm powered, although going 18mm is not a bad idea, at least in terms of recoverability :)

Even then, the Arcon-Hi is a good starting point for bashing into a 24mm powered Delta Clipper.

(I think I used "bash" correctly here, no? :D )

Doug

thompsonfive
09-18-2008, 06:54 PM

Right you are. The angel on my shoulder keeps reminding me that I already have a Fliskits Cheetah, but the guy on my other shoulder keeps whispering the letter "D".

thompsonfive
09-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Steve,

Even then, the Arcon-Hi is a good starting point for bashing into a 24mm powered Delta Clipper.

Now that you mention it, the BT is the proper diameter.

Doug Sams
09-18-2008, 07:02 PM
Now that you mention it, the BT is the proper diameter.It's ST10, which is close enough in my book :) (1.04" od versus ~1.08" od)

Doug

thompsonfive
09-18-2008, 07:07 PM
The Arcon-Hi comes out three inches shorter over all. Looks like some of that might be in the NC, but I can make it up one way or another. Unfortunately Semroc doesn't have the instructions for this one on line, so I've sent them a request via email.

Ltvscout
09-18-2008, 07:11 PM
The Arcon-Hi comes out three inches shorter over all. Looks like some of that might be in the NC, but I can make it up one way or another. Unfortunately Semroc doesn't have the instructions for this one on line, so I've sent them a request via email.
JimZ has them at http://www.dars.org/jimz/kc-3.htm

You can find instructions for just about any OOP Estes or Centuri kit at Ye Olde Rocket Plans or JimZ's site.

thompsonfive
09-18-2008, 07:15 PM
JimZ has them at http://www.dars.org/jimz/kc-3.htm

You can find instructions for just about any OOP Estes or Centuri kit at Ye Olde Rocket Plans or JimZ's site.

Duh! The Retro Repo thing just slipped right by me. It's not a model I was familiar with. Thanks.

thompsonfive
09-18-2008, 07:33 PM

I'm looking at the parts and instructions side my side now, and you are absolutely right. This could be a clipper with minimal effort. :)

DaveR
09-18-2008, 07:49 PM
I have a Delta Clipper NIB, that I'd part with. Whatcha got in trade? :)

snaquin
09-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Steve,

That's a good suggestion, except the Delta Clipper is 24mm powered, although going 18mm is not a bad idea, at least in terms of recoverability :)

(I think I used "bash" correctly here, no? :D )

Doug

Ah, true ..... I missed that the Arcon-Hi is not 24mm. I had a Delta Clipper years ago and had recently considered this myself as a good starting point to build another. I may even still have a RockSim file around here where I was toying with the idea some.

I thought "bash" was what the mailman does to my boxes of rockets & parts when they are on the way to be delivered to my house. {Although Semroc packs em so well even though some have been bashed, I've NEVER had any of the contents inside damaged} :)

thompsonfive
09-18-2008, 08:57 PM
I have a Delta Clipper NIB, that I'd part with. Whatcha got in trade? :)

In the trade pile I have:

Fliskits

Freedom Forge Missile

Estes

Spaceship One ( 2191 )
Guardian
Scissorwing Transport (the new one)
Screaming Eagle

Nothing vintage that I can part with, sorry.

Doug Sams
09-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Right you are. The angel on my shoulder keeps reminding me that I already have a Fliskits Cheetah, but the guy on my other shoulder keeps whispering the letter "D".Do either of these guys look like Tom Hulce? :D

Doug

DaveR
09-18-2008, 09:37 PM
In the trade pile I have:

Fliskits

Freedom Forge Missile

Estes

Spaceship One ( 2191 )
Guardian
Scissorwing Transport (the new one)
Screaming Eagle

Nothing vintage that I can part with, sorry.

:( Sorry, got most of those too. Sending a PM,

DaveR
09-18-2008, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the tip. You are a friendly lot here.

You selling, or asking? ;)
Don't know if he has a kit or not, (My guess is he does :rolleyes: ) but he's the guy that sent the plans to YORP. ;)

thompsonfive
09-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Don't know if he has a kit or not, (My guess is he does :rolleyes: ) but he's the guy that sent the plans to YORP. ;)

So is the kit worth less because it's been opened, or more because it's famous? :D

thompsonfive
09-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Well, as suddenly as my quest began it has now ended. DaveR has made me a very generous offer on a kit and I hearby officially sing his praises.
onemississippi
twomississippi
threemississippi
fourmississippi
fivemississippi
sixmississippi

Thanks to all for your sage advise and look for the build thread soon. I'm clearing a spot on the bench now.

thompsonfive
09-18-2008, 10:46 PM
Do either of these guys look like Tom Hulce? :D

Doug

Now that you mention it...

DaveR
09-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Well, as suddenly as my quest began it has now ended. DaveR has made me a very generous offer on a kit and I hearby officially sing his praises.
onemississippi
twomississippi
threemississippi
fourmississippi
fivemississippi
sixmississippi

Thanks to all for your sage advise and look for the build thread soon. I'm clearing a spot on the bench now.
Heh, that's not exactly what I meant, but I like it. :D I even got the full six seconds.

Condition 1 = met :cool: