View Full Version : Hobby Lobby strikes again

Pages : [1] 2 3

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-05-2005, 12:07 AM
Rockets and starter sets are 1/3 off.
With gas at $3 a gallon, I think I'll be passing on this one. :(

Tweener
09-06-2005, 02:53 PM
I have a Ford Aspire 5 speed manual shift. I think I could go for that! Just wish they were open on Sundays like everyone else. I just HATE shopping on Saturdays. :mad: (The stores are open longer and if the Mrs. goes with me it gives her more time at the mall. There goes the compact car fuel savings!)

CPMcGraw
09-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Rockets and starter sets are 1/3 off.
With gas at $3 a gallon, I think I'll be passing on this one. :(

I took a drive up to the local HL today, since I was already out-and-about, and just happened to be passing by... :D

There were two Screamin' Mimi kits on the rack this time. There still are...

I did pick up an extra Baby Bertha and another Payloader One to steal the payload section and Kevlar out of to complete my T-25 version of the Cherokee Double-D. Managed to only spend about $11. Nothing else caught my attention, so utterly boring was their collection of Estes and Quest kits... :(

Doesn't say too much about the current offerings from either of them, if you think about it... :(

I gotta break down and fly something before too long. My batteries are drained from Katrina... :eek:

EchoVictor
09-12-2005, 09:07 AM
Craig,

good to see that ol' Kat didn't get you down too much. Take a "mental margarita" for yourself and go flying. Next time I'm out I'll put one in the air for ya.

Later,
EV

six-o-one
09-12-2005, 09:24 AM
Just wondering, do they EVER put motors on sale?

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-12-2005, 10:51 PM
Just wondering, do they EVER put motors on sale?

Only when the person ringing you up is too stupid to know better or too bored to care. ;)

barone
09-28-2005, 09:37 PM
Check it out guys........40% off any one item......I suppose that would include the blast pak...

http://www.hobbylobby.com/site3/weekly/coupons/coupon.cfm

Don
NAR 53455

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-28-2005, 10:10 PM
Check it out guys........40% off any one item......I suppose that would include the blast pak...

Don
NAR 53455

I've never seen one in any of our HL stores around here. Just single packs and I can do better elsewhere.

barone
10-12-2005, 06:38 PM
Hobby Lobby has another 40% off coupon for the week (bet you guys would like to find out on a Monday :D ).

Don
NAR 53455

snaquin
10-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Hobby Lobby has another 40% off coupon for the week (bet you guys would like to find out on a Monday :D ).

Don
NAR 53455

Thanks for posting the link Don :)

I may have to make the drive to Baton Rouge this Saturday to see if there is anything I need but will probably come home with something I don't need .....

I wish our Hobby Lobby still handled Aerotech EconoJets. Man, that would be sweet! I need some of the 24mm F21's and none of the hobby stores here distribute Aerotech.

barone
10-23-2005, 07:59 PM
Another Hobby Lobby 40% off any one item coupon.....

Don
NAR 53455

barone
10-30-2005, 10:11 AM
http://www.hobbylobby.com/site3/weekly/specials/specials.cfm

Don
NAR 53455

CPMcGraw
10-30-2005, 01:31 PM
http://www.hobbylobby.com/site3/weekly/specials/specials.cfm

Don
NAR 53455

Stock-up time! :)

Now, if only the local HL had something WORTH buying... :(

barone
11-06-2005, 08:06 PM
Yet another 40% off any one item coupon......

Don
NAR 53455

CPMcGraw
11-20-2005, 11:39 AM
Hobby Lobby has rocket kits and starter sets for 1/2 price this week, no coupon needed. The coupon this week is for one regular item at 40% off...

If you're into acrylic paints for your models, these are also half price. Liquitex brand included...

A Fish Named Wallyum
11-22-2005, 10:37 PM
Hobby Lobby has rocket kits and starter sets for 1/2 price this week, no coupon needed. The coupon this week is for one regular item at 40% off...

If you're into acrylic paints for your models, these are also half price. Liquitex brand included...

I was pretty disappointed at what Hobby Lobby had in stock this time. I went to buy Baby Berthas because I've got GOONY FEVER and thought they'd make a good winter project. Not a Baby Bertha to be found in the store. I wound up buying some dowels for the Andromeda, some posterboard for the SSV Scorpion restoration, and a Screaming Mimi for the nose cone, but that doesn't quench my GOONY desire.
BTW, if anyone has fin patterns or decal scans for the Galaxy Guppy, Missile Toe or Sky Shriek, I'd be forever grateful. :cool:

kurtschachner
11-22-2005, 10:51 PM
BTW, if anyone has fin patterns or decal scans for the Galaxy Guppy, Missile Toe or Sky Shriek, I'd be forever grateful. :cool:

Well, JimZ has the decals for those but not the fin patterns. I also have the stickers (decals) in my collection if that isn't sufficient. I never redrew them because it is hard to duplicate hand-drawn art on the computer. You can just print them onto white label stock using a color laser printer, then cut out according to the original size.

I thought I ran across the fin patterns for the rest of them somewhere, but I can't recall where now :(

A Fish Named Wallyum
11-22-2005, 11:00 PM
Well, JimZ has the decals for those but not the fin patterns. I also have the stickers (decals) in my collection if that isn't sufficient. I never redrew them because it is hard to duplicate hand-drawn art on the computer. You can just print them onto white label stock using a color laser printer, then cut out according to the original size.

I thought I ran across the fin patterns for the rest of them somewhere, but I can't recall where now :(

JimZ has all of the decals except for the Sky Shriek. I drew my own decals for my two upscales using Sharpie markers and label stock. I plan to finish the Zoom Broom upscale this weekend, assuming that I can find a set of centering rings to bump the power up to 24mm.
I guess could make a set using the 18mm rings if all else fails. :rolleyes: ;)

Green Dragon
11-23-2005, 12:04 PM

I belive Phred ( excelsior ) has botht he decals and plans / patterns for the goonies ?

or at least a few, in the retro decals section .

( plus many other goony's new to our universe :-)

~ AL

Doug Sams
11-23-2005, 10:32 PM
I was pretty disappointed at what Hobby Lobby had in stock this time. I went to buy Baby Berthas because I've got GOONY FEVER and thought they'd make a good winter project. Not a Baby Bertha to be found in the store. Bill,
How 'bout the Quest Full Moon? I've seen lots of those, and they're about the same price as the Baby Bertha. The tube is 40mm, and a bit shorter. The NC is off the Big Betty so it's like the Bertha/Goony cone.

Just an idea...

Doug

A Fish Named Wallyum
11-23-2005, 11:08 PM
Bill,
How 'bout the Quest Full Moon? I've seen lots of those, and they're about the same price as the Baby Bertha. The tube is 40mm, and a bit shorter. The NC is off the Big Betty so it's like the Bertha/Goony cone.

Just an idea...

Doug

I thought about that, believe it or not. I even bought a Full Moon yesterday, but I'm giving it to the son of one of my friends.
I found a Baby Bert tonight, so that gives me three kits with the two in the shop. As of right now, that's also all the Goony fin patterns I have. If I want to take the cone from the 36DD, that will give me four. ;)
I forgot to mention that the plastic 6070 transition in the 36DD is pretty nice. I'm thinking about buying another one just to turn it into a BT-6070 Avenger. :cool:

CPMcGraw
11-23-2005, 11:12 PM
Bill,

Just an idea...

Doug

Oh, the images you've just conjured up... :eek:

The "double entendre" of the name... :eek: :eek: :D

"Full Goon"...

"Full Metal Goon"...

"Fool Goon"...

"Moon Goon"...

"Goon In Sixty Seconds"...

"Bad Goon Rising"...

Green Dragon
11-25-2005, 02:35 PM
"Bad Goon Rising"...

hmm. now you did it, made me think about the film ... love it ... had a chance about 10 years back to actually purchase one o fthe cars from the film and passed it up... too bad, would be a neat one to drive up to a lluanch in .... :-)

I have an 'out of the loop' question - Bill mentioned the ' 36DD', is that a new kit ? unfamilair with that ( going to find one online now to see a pic, but since I was replying anyways, lol :-p

~ AL

A Fish Named Wallyum
11-25-2005, 03:33 PM
"Bad Goon Rising"...

~ AL

That's actually the new Estes 36D Squared. It's the new dual-D powered kit. Kinda ugly, but some say the SPEV is also. ;)

CPMcGraw
11-25-2005, 07:34 PM
This really is more like a bad sequel than anything else. On Sunday, I get the email with the half-price rockets listed, then on Thursday I get a sheet with their two-day specials. So far, so good...

So, I go to the store on Friday and look through the gunk they have on the peg board, pick out a few that I can use for kitbashing, and I note the very conspicuous absence of any notices on the aisle about the sale. I take my stash up to the checkout register and...

NO ONE THERE HAS HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT THIS SALE! No fliers, no advance notices, nothing! In fact, the sheets they have all around are "similar", but no cigar.

Needless to say, I can't make the sale; I have to print out my email ad and take it back to the store Saturday. The manager (or head cashier, whichever) agreed to hold my selection until I can get back over there, but it's the idea that I have to make two trips just to complete one purchase that gets under my skin a bit...

Has anyone else had this experience with other HL stores this go-round?

barone
11-25-2005, 07:54 PM
Craig,

I went today and actually thought I missed the 1/2 off sale because of the new 2 day ad. So I took my 40% off coupon. They gave me the coupon back and told me the kit was still 50% off. I didn't ask any questions....just smiled and said thank you.

Don
NAR 53455

sandman
11-26-2005, 09:28 AM
My wife went to our NEW Hobby Lobby yesterday and BOTH aisles (platic models and Rockets) had the notice signs posted.

They honered both sale flyers! No questions asked! :)

Although she wouldn't tell me what she bought. :(

CPMcGraw
11-26-2005, 08:15 PM
OK, went back this morning and picked up the bag of kits I picked out yesterday. I showed the sheet to the assistant manager, she still acted like she knew nothing about the sale, but she honored the sale nonetheless. Wound up with just under $40 total sales.

Nothing new to report on the selection -- it's still nowhere near what the store had when they started out. Rockets once filled an entire row, now it just barely covers half a row...

I haven't seen a C-C Express kit in quite a while. Hard to bash out a CDD without one...

Picked up a couple more Baby Berthas for some Goonies, a couple more Screamin Mimi's, a couple of Full Moons, a couple of #2 Skywriters (one for a Starship Vega) another Hi Flier, and still somehow felt a bit depressed by the selection.

CPMcGraw
11-26-2005, 08:19 PM
My wife went to our NEW Hobby Lobby yesterday and BOTH aisles (platic models and Rockets) had the notice signs posted.

They honered both sale flyers! No questions asked! :)

Although she wouldn't tell me what she bought. :(

Sandman, you need to terminate your tagline with "[/font]"... :D

A Fish Named Wallyum
11-27-2005, 10:56 PM
Picked up a couple more Baby Berthas for some Goonies,

So THAT'S where the Baby B's went. :mad: I did manage to find one at the Florence store, but I'm still a couple short. (Then again, I only have the instructions for three of the kits, so why am I complaining?) Which Goonies are you planning to build, Craig? I cut the fins out for the Zoom Broom one night here at work last week. I'm going to sand them tonight if I can get on top of the workload.
We got WAY on top of the work on Wednesday last week. I found myself bored and cut out the cardstock parts for the ESS Raven. I planned to coat them with thin CA, but it had thickened since the last time I used it. (The little brush stayed down in the bottle when I pulled the lid off. :o )

CPMcGraw
11-28-2005, 12:02 AM
So THAT'S where the Baby B's went. :mad: I did manage to find one at the Florence store, but I'm still a couple short. (Then again, I only have the instructions for three of the kits, so why am I complaining?) Which Goonies are you planning to build, Craig? I cut the fins out for the Zoom Broom one night here at work last week. I'm going to sand them tonight if I can get on top of the workload.
We got WAY on top of the work on Wednesday last week. I found myself bored and cut out the cardstock parts for the ESS Raven. I planned to coat them with thin CA, but it had thickened since the last time I used it. (The little brush stayed down in the bottle when I pulled the lid off. :o )

I think the Mobile store was waiting for me, as it had exactly two Baby Bs. It now has two less...

I'm cutting out the parts to one of our own Goons, the Thunder Goony. I need to cut a 9" length of BT-60, but I've got spares. The fins are sitting next to me right now, just cut them out before logging on again.

One of the three Screamin Mimi's I have is going to become a Thunder Auk...

With the weather turning bad again (rained tonight and last night, another wave coming through tomorrow night, then it turns cold again), I had to start up some back-burner projects. This one just seemed a good place to get going. It also gives me a good excuse to clean off my workbench and get back on another project that I started before Ivan came through -- a Sig Seniorita, with ailerons. The wing is almost finished, but nothing else has been done.

To say that I have plenty of building projects is an understatement...

CPMcGraw
12-11-2005, 07:04 AM
Hobby Lobby is having another half-price week for Estes and Quest kits and starter sets. Be sure to print out their ad and take it with you, just in case the store personel haven't been told ahead of time... :eek:

CPMcGraw
12-25-2005, 12:46 PM
Hobby Lobby is having another half-price week for Estes and Quest kits and starter sets. Be sure to print out their ad and take it with you, just in case the store personel haven't been told ahead of time... :eek:

Didn't I just write this a week ago? Two weeks ago?

Well, I'm writing it again, 'cause it's happening again this week...

OK, so I'm just copying and quoting. Same thing... :D

Carl and the gang up at SEMROC will be getting the little green pieces of paper this time around. I need some real goodies to work with...

Tau Zero
12-25-2005, 09:02 PM
One of the three Screamin Mimi's I have is going to become a Thunder Auk...(Arnold Horshack voice) Ooh ooh ooh! :D ;) :cool:

...And I need to get back to working on mine, as well! :p :eek:

Cheers,

--Jay

CPMcGraw
12-25-2005, 10:36 PM
(Arnold Horshack voice) Ooh ooh ooh! :D ;) :cool:

...And I need to get back to working on mine, as well! :p :eek:

Cheers,

--Jay

At least, mine would have been an Auk, until I remembered we used ST-13 for your version... :eek: :o

So, whadaya call a Fat Auk?

Tau Zero
12-26-2005, 12:25 AM
At least, mine would have been an Auk, until I remembered we used ST-13 for your version... :eek: :o

So, whadaya call a Fat Auk?Um... "Tubby?" :o ;) :D

Okay, how about a Thunder *Dodo?* (But only if you use a really wimpy engine so the rocket *doesn't* make it off the pad!) :rolleyes: :p

Cheers,

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum
12-26-2005, 02:30 AM
Um... "Tubby?" :o ;) :D

Okay, how about a Thunder *Dodo?* (But only if you use a really wimpy engine so the rocket *doesn't* make it off the pad!) :rolleyes: :p

OR if you use an engine with a really big ejection charge that renders the Dodo EXTINCT!
Hmmm? Where would we find such an engine? :rolleyes:

CPMcGraw
12-26-2005, 01:47 PM
Um... "Tubby?" :o ;) :D

Cheers,

--Jay

I like that name -- Thunder Dodo...

I'll whip out a new RKT file as soon as I get my computer back in shape. Picked up a virus last Thursday, from the "usual suspect -- email attachment..." I should have known better -- the message with the virus came from "me", or at least from an old email address that I no longer used. Curiosity killed another cat...

Side note, I'm using the latest Ubuntu Linux distro right now for my email and web stuff. Really stable. If I could just get Wine to work with the three or four Windows apps I need, I'd dump XP in a heartbeat!

OR if you use an engine with a really big ejection charge that renders the Dodo EXTINCT!
Hmmm? Where would we find such an engine?

What's that line from the Hoodwinked movie clip, where the wolf and the little rodent character are rolling down the "Indiana Jones mine cart" scene --

Wolf: What kind of candle is that?

Rodent: (Pointing to the lettering on the cylinder) Dee-na-MEE-tay...

I guess I'll have to include an "E" mount...

Another side note, I'm working on a Goon using the Quest Full Moon. I keep having this horrible image with that name, though, like what kind of decal image I'd need to use...

The name alone is Goony enough...

Tau Zero
12-27-2005, 11:04 PM
I like that name -- Thunder Dodo... :D

Then hopefully the attached files will help you out. :D ;)

Cheers,

--Jay :eek: :cool:

Tau Zero
12-27-2005, 11:29 PM
Hmmm? Where would we find such an engine? :rolleyes:Or an A8-3 to lift this 3 ounce rocket, only to finally fire its ejection charge 11 feet off the ground. ;) :D :eek:

"Behold!" (maniacal laughter)

Cheers,

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum
12-27-2005, 11:49 PM
I hit Hobby Lobby today and actually found a couple of Baby Berthas to get Goony with. That means I'm all ready if the Sky Shriek and Galaxy Guppy scans ever appear. ;) I also picked up one of the new X-15 "kits" (I always wanted one,) and enough 1/8" balsa to do the fins on the Cosmik Debris. (You could serve dinner on these fins.) I plan on butt-gluing the pieces tomorrow, and actually having this little piggy flight ready for the next Quark launch in two+ weeks. I've still got some C5-3s rolling around in my engine box, so I might just take it out to one of the local soccer fields when I get it finished. I'd like to see how it will do with the C5-3 kick and you can't do dat at an NAR launch anymore. :rolleyes:

CPMcGraw
12-28-2005, 12:03 AM
Or an A8-3 to lift this 3 ounce rocket, only to finally fire its ejection charge 11 feet off the ground. ;) :D :eek:

Cheers,

--Jay

Thanks, Jay. I'll look it over as soon as I can. Question, is that a Goblin fin shape, or a small Der Red Max fin?

CPMcGraw
12-28-2005, 12:05 AM
I hit Hobby Lobby today and actually found a couple of Baby Berthas to get Goony with. That means I'm all ready if the Sky Shriek and Galaxy Guppy scans ever appear. ;) I also picked up one of the new X-15 "kits" (I always wanted one,) and enough 1/8" balsa to do the fins on the Cosmik Debris. (You could serve dinner on these fins.) I plan on butt-gluing the pieces tomorrow, and actually having this little piggy flight ready for the next Quark launch in two+ weeks. I've still got some C5-3s rolling around in my engine box, so I might just take it out to one of the local soccer fields when I get it finished. I'd like to see how it will do with the C5-3 kick and you can't do dat at an NAR launch anymore. :rolleyes:

Don't forget the camera...

I want pictures... All the gory details...

A Fish Named Wallyum
12-28-2005, 12:33 AM
Don't forget the camera...

I want pictures... All the gory details...

Bet on it. Hell, I'll even dedicate the flight to you. :cool:

Ltvscout
12-28-2005, 08:47 AM
I hit Hobby Lobby today and actually found a couple of Baby Berthas to get Goony with. That means I'm all ready if the Sky Shriek and Galaxy Guppy scans ever appear. ;)
I can't find any of those old scans from my old site. I honestly don't know what happened to them. :(

On a brighter note, Kevin Trojanowski told me he has all of the Goonies scanned and will get the scans sent over to me.

kurtschachner
12-29-2005, 03:20 PM
I'd like to see how it will do with the C5-3 kick and you can't do dat at an NAR launch anymore. :rolleyes:

What? You mean you can't just announce the flight as a "C" engine and get away with it?

Hmm, better change my ways :eek:

Bob H
12-29-2005, 03:44 PM
I'd like to see how it will do with the C5-3 kick and you can't do dat at an NAR launch anymore. :rolleyes:

You got 2 more days! Certification expires on December 31, 2005. ;)

What! No launch this Saturday?? :eek: Darn :(

A Fish Named Wallyum
12-29-2005, 06:33 PM
What? You mean you can't just announce the flight as a "C" engine and get away with it?

No, I'd NEVER think of doing something like THAT. :rolleyes:

A Fish Named Wallyum
12-29-2005, 08:37 PM
Here's a picture of me modeling the fin stock. :eek:

CPMcGraw
12-29-2005, 10:08 PM
Here's a picture of me modeling the fin stock. :eek:

That's wild!

Even looking at the 3D image up on BARCLONE, it's hard to imagine the fins are supposed to be that wide. It is supposed to fly on a C, right?

Are you trying to get a "one-piece" fin with the grain all running in the same direction? I'd like to make a suggestion: Take a 3/8" wide strip of balsa, same thickness, and cap the tip with the grain running fore-aft. This will help reduce the chances of warping, or "cupping", with such large pieces. It's an old model airplane trick; you'd find it used on elevators and rudders of RC models where the non-moving fin is a single large piece of balsa...

A Fish Named Wallyum
12-29-2005, 10:38 PM
That's wild!

Even looking at the 3D image up on BARCLONE, it's hard to imagine the fins are supposed to be that wide. It is supposed to fly on a C, right?

Are you trying to get a "one-piece" fin with the grain all running in the same direction? I'd like to make a suggestion: Take a 3/8" wide strip of balsa, same thickness, and cap the tip with the grain running fore-aft. This will help reduce the chances of warping, or "cupping", with such large pieces. It's an old model airplane trick; you'd find it used on elevators and rudders of RC models where the non-moving fin is a single large piece of balsa...

The look on my face pretty much says it all. The fins aren't QUITE that large, but it will be necessary to cut them out of a sheet this size. I have family coming in for dinner tomorrow, so the best I can hope is to get the fins cut out, but I plan to use as much time as I can steal over the rest of the long weekend getting this beast together.
Your suggestion sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I'm following you. Do you mean the fin tip? Keep in mind that there will be a length of BT-5 out there.

Tau Zero
12-29-2005, 10:53 PM
Thanks, Jay. I'll look it over as soon as I can. Question, is that a Goblin fin shape, or a small Der Red Max fin?Actually, that's just the standard fin shape from the attached Screamin' Mimi RockSim file I downloaded from some Unscrupulous Source... like (exaggeratedly furrowed brow) :rolleyes: EMRR, maybe. ;) :D :cool:

My cashflow is temporarily tapped out due to SEMROC's Most Excellent 50% off Sale, so I won't be able to pick up a *real* (i.e., "analog" vs. digital) Mimi for another week or so. :( But I think 3 standard fins would probably work okay... unless, of course, the body tube is slotted for TTFW ("Through The Frickin' Wall") fins. :eek: ;) :D

Cheers,

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum
12-29-2005, 11:00 PM
My cashflow is temporarily tapped out due to SEMROC's Most Excellent 50% off Sale, so I won't be able to pick up a *real* (i.e., "analog" vs. digital) Mimi for another week or so. :( But I think 3 standard fins would probably work okay... unless, of course, the body tube is slotted for TTFW ("Through The Frickin' Wall") fins. :eek: ;) :D

Speaking of your cashflow, I got a Semroc package of my own today. Inside were the two alternate engine mounts for the SLS Laser X (as well as a Hydra VII). I thought it might be worth expanding my options engine-wise since the smallest motor recommended for the Laser X is one of those that make my palms sweat. I think the first flight will be on two D's since I've seen the 4x18mm cluster already. I'm hoping to start REAL construction alongside the flying pig this weekend. ;)

CPMcGraw
12-29-2005, 11:19 PM
The look on my face pretty much says it all. The fins aren't QUITE that large, but it will be necessary to cut them out of a sheet this size. I have family coming in for dinner tomorrow, so the best I can hope is to get the fins cut out, but I plan to use as much time as I can steal over the rest of the long weekend getting this beast together.

That balsa sheet looked so much like a wing skin for a foam core... :eek:

Your suggestion sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I'm following you. Do you mean the fin tip? Keep in mind that there will be a length of BT-5 out there.

Yes. The fin tip. The idea is to have a piece with the grain running perpendicular, or cross-grain, so that the strength of its grain counteracts the cupping tendency of the end-grain from the big piece of the fin. The BT-5 should do the same thing, though...

A Fish Named Wallyum
12-29-2005, 11:24 PM
Yes. The fin tip. The idea is to have a piece with the grain running perpendicular, or cross-grain, so that the strength of its grain counteracts the cupping tendency of the end-grain from the big piece of the fin. The BT-5 should do the same thing, though...

That's what I was hoping. I was thinking about trying the tissue paper trick on these fins since they're going to be so huge. I've never done it before, but I've seen it done.

CPMcGraw
12-29-2005, 11:32 PM
That's what I was hoping. I was thinking about trying the tissue paper trick on these fins since they're going to be so huge. I've never done it before, but I've seen it done.

It's a really simple technique, and very light if you use dope to attach and seal the paper. For a little tougher skin, try silkspan, which is a spun-fiber paper, and is about half-way between tissue and Econokote.

CPMcGraw
12-29-2005, 11:33 PM
Actually, that's just the standard fin shape from the...Screamin' Mimi...

OK. Basically it's going to be a Thunder Mimi...

My cashflow is temporarily tapped out due to SEMROC's Most Excellent 50% off Sale, so I won't be able to pick up a *real*... Mimi for another week or so. .. I think 3 standard fins would probably work okay... unless, of course, the body tube is slotted for TTFW ("Through The Frickin' Wall") fins. :eek: ;) :D

Cheers,

--Jay

Ahem...

Checking my stash which was so greatly re-loaded last week, I only have about four Mimi's waiting for bashing. It might even be five, I lost count... :o

They do make such great fodder for a number of classics... :D

Mimi doesn't use TTW fins, thank goodness. That's why they're such great starting points. Full-length BT-60, the AH nose cone, and a "D" mount. This is one kit that's closer to the "old standard" we love so much...

Bob H
12-30-2005, 08:53 AM
OK. Basically it's going to be a Thunder Mimi...

Ahem...

Checking my stash which was so greatly re-loaded last week, I only have about four Mimi's waiting for bashing. It might even be five, I lost count... :o

They do make such great fodder for a number of classics... :D

Mimi doesn't use TTW fins, thank goodness. That's why they're such great starting points. Full-length BT-60, the AH nose cone, and a "D" mount. This is one kit that's closer to the "old standard" we love so much...
I couldn't agree more.. The Mimi is a great kit for parts.

I took a Mimi and used the "sound tubes" for a 3 motor cluster mount and used the fins and cone from a Baby Bertha to make a "sort of" Ranger clone. A real Ranger would have separated in the middle.

I then used the Mimi cone and fins on the Baby Bertha tube to make a "baby" Red Max. A real Red Max would have had a longer body tube.

I ended up with a spare motor mount for some future project.

CPMcGraw
12-30-2005, 11:08 AM
I couldn't agree more.. The Mimi is a great kit for parts.

I took a Mimi and used the "sound tubes" for a 3 motor cluster mount and used the fins and cone from a Baby Bertha to make a "sort of" Ranger clone. A real Ranger would have separated in the middle.

The BARCLONE "Pug" started out as a Mimi sound tube...

I then used the Mimi cone and fins on the Baby Bertha tube to make a "baby" Red Max. A real Red Max would have had a longer body tube.

I ended up with a spare motor mount for some future project.

[Echo on]The BARCLONE "Pug" started out as a Mimi sound tube...[Echo off] :D

That "Mini Mimi Max" looks great. Can you get us a scan of that fin? I'd like to work that one up in RockSim.

The tip cut looks like it's 90 degrees to the leading edge. Can you confirm?

Bob H
12-30-2005, 02:54 PM
That "Mini Mimi Max" looks great. Can you get us a scan of that fin? I'd like to work that one up in RockSim.

The tip cut looks like it's 90 degrees to the leading edge. Can you confirm?

Yes it's cut 90 degrees to the leading edge. The fins were trimmed so they had more of a Red Max shape. They are slightly smaller than the real one but I wanted to use the fins from the Mimi.

I will have to measure the fins and send you the dimensions.

I don't know what I did with that fin with the markings. I only used three fins on the model so it should be in my shop area. But my shop is like a black hole/time machine. Things get sucked in and disappear and no amount of searching can find them. Later, when I have no use for the lost item, it will magically reappear in the middle of my work area.

CPMcGraw
12-30-2005, 11:51 PM
Yes it's cut 90 degrees to the leading edge. The fins were trimmed so they had more of a Red Max shape. They are slightly smaller than the real one but I wanted to use the fins from the Mimi.

I will have to measure the fins and send you the dimensions.

I don't know what I did with that fin with the markings. I only used three fins on the model so it should be in my shop area. But my shop is like a black hole/time machine. Things get sucked in and disappear and no amount of searching can find them. Later, when I have no use for the lost item, it will magically reappear in the middle of my work area.

We share the same workshop conditions, Bob. Stuff appears when I don't need it, but promptly disappears when I try to locate it again.

I might be able to get the dimensions from that image; I'm almost finished rebuilding my computer after a virus hit it last week. Once I can get PhotoshopElements reloaded, I should be able to find the root length. That was all I needed, since you've confirmed the tip angle.

Thanks...

Bob H
12-31-2005, 09:46 AM
We share the same workshop conditions, Bob. Stuff appears when I don't need it, but promptly disappears when I try to locate it again.

I might be able to get the dimensions from that image; I'm almost finished rebuilding my computer after a virus hit it last week. Once I can get PhotoshopElements reloaded, I should be able to find the root length. That was all I needed, since you've confirmed the tip angle.

Thanks...

I measured the fins on the one I made and the root length is 2 3/8". The original Mimi root edge was 2 3/4". I just eyeballed these when I made it. The 90 degree corner wasn't made with a square but it's real close.

I used the 18mm Baby Bertha motor mount when I made it, but you could certainly use the 24mm motor mount from the Mimi. Here in New England, there really aren't too many places where I could let it go on a D12 and expect to get it back. I suppose I could have used the 24mm mount and flown it with an adapter for the smaller fields.

CPMcGraw
12-31-2005, 12:15 PM
I measured the fins on the one I made and the root length is 2 3/8". The original Mimi root edge was 2 3/4". I just eyeballed these when I made it. The 90 degree corner wasn't made with a square but it's real close.

I used the 18mm Baby Bertha motor mount when I made it, but you could certainly use the 24mm motor mount from the Mimi. Here in New England, there really aren't too many places where I could let it go on a D12 and expect to get it back. I suppose I could have used the 24mm mount and flown it with an adapter for the smaller fields.

It probably flies like the Raven and the Bertha...

That's how I have to fly my clone Cherokee-D. Small-field-blues...

Thanks on the measurement. Now I can get mine built...

...But not before I dig into this box of SEMROC goodies which, coincidentally, just arrived today... :D

CPMcGraw
01-01-2006, 01:30 PM

Finally had a chance to look this one over...

Nice. This will very much be added to the collection. Looks like the B4-2 and the C11-5 are the optimal motors, given their deployment Vs.

I need to re-evaluate the fin shape, and try out Bob's dimensions to see if the rocket gets any improvement.

Tau Zero
01-01-2006, 02:27 PM
Finally had a chance to look this one over...

Nice. This will very much be added to the collection. Looks like the B4-2 and the C11-5 are the optimal motors, given their deployment Vs.

I need to re-evaluate the fin shape, and try out Bob's dimensions to see if the rocket gets any improvement.*Sweet!* I think we can chalk the Thunder Dodo up to a happy accident. :D ;) :eek:

I just noticed the new layout for "Proven Designs" on BARCLONE. *Nice!* But you might want to use the "new and improved" graphic for the Thunder Auk. :D :cool:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=4779&postcount=12

Cheers, and Happy New Year!

--Jay

Tau Zero
01-01-2006, 02:41 PM
:eek: My cashflow is temporarily tapped out due to SEMROC's Most Excellent 50% off Sale, so I won't be able to pick up a *real* (i.e., "analog" vs. digital) Mimi for another week or so. :( Good news and bad news.

First, the bad news. Yesterday I went back to the King's variety store where I'd seen 2 Screamin' Mimis for $10.51 apiece, they were both missing. :(

The good news? That must mean that at least one person, and maybe two other people, got those for Christmas... or "after Christmas!" :D ;)

So I may have to see if the "real" hobby shop still has any for $12.99. :rolleyes: :p

Cheers,

--Jay

CPMcGraw
01-01-2006, 07:42 PM
Thanks on the measurement. Now I can get mine built...

See attached image for the full-size outline for this fin...

...But not before I dig into this box of SEMROC goodies which, coincidentally, just arrived today... :D

Man, does Carl know how to nudge that Krellvenator of his! I had a bunch of his new Estes-dimensioned cones come in, and they are beautiful. My Constellation finally looks like one.

My wallet is crying in torment, knowing how many rockets are still on my "to-do" list...:D :o

Ltvscout
01-03-2006, 09:22 AM

Hmm, better change my ways :eek:
What are we going to do with all those "B" flights we have? :D

kurtschachner
01-03-2006, 11:38 AM
What are we going to do with all those "B" flights we have? :D

Continue to fly them, as usual ;)

The Lone Rocketeer
01-04-2006, 01:39 AM
I didn't even realize Hobby Lobby carried rockets........
I guess I'll have to pay closer attention the next time I'm in there.

CPMcGraw
01-15-2006, 02:02 PM
Well, folks, HL is at it again...

They have sent out the "internet coupon" with model rocket kits at 50% off. Given what the "Discontinued Estes Kit List" now has added, you might want to take this opportunity to stock up on "Screamin Mimis" for some of those other projects.

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-17-2006, 11:03 PM
I took a peek at HL yesterday, hoping to find a stash of Screamin' Mimi's to stick away for future consideration. Not one to be found. They had a couple of Big Daddy's, but I passed at $14. Maybe later. They also had a mess of Baby Bertha's, but I'm Bertha'd out. Other than that it was the normal minimum diameter stuff and a ton of Chrome Domes. I wound up buying some tissue paper in assorted colors and flesh colored paint for the Missile's Toe. ;) :cool:

sandman
01-18-2006, 10:27 AM
I downloaded the coupon 'cause my daughter gave me a $25 gift cetificate for Christmas.

Got a Quest Harpoon, Canadian Arrow and a Renagade along with some other supplies.

barone
08-06-2006, 10:21 PM
It's been a while since anyone posted to this thread, although Hobby Lobby has been having these sales/coupons. So, just thought I'd take the opportunity to let everyone know it's there again.......

40% off any single item per visit per day....I'm going to get some more Baby Berthas for my Goony bashing, well, so I'm ready when Phred gets his printer working. :D

Don
NAR 53455

tripleup05
08-20-2006, 09:15 PM
I just got Hobby Lobby's email flyer thing. It said all rocket kits and sets are on sale 1/3 off. Thats better than nothing, but don't they have a 40% coupon going out this week too? And don't they occasionally go on sale for 50% off?

barone
08-20-2006, 09:22 PM
I just got Hobby Lobby's email flyer thing. It said all rocket kits and sets are on sale 1/3 off. Thats better than nothing, but don't they have a 40% coupon going out this week too? And don't they occasionally go on sale for 50% off?

They've got another 40% off coupon on line.

Don
NAR 53455

barone
09-03-2006, 11:25 PM

Don
NAR 53455

barone
09-18-2006, 07:33 PM
http://www.hobbylobby.com/site3/weekly/weekly.cfm

Don
NAR 53455

Ltvscout
09-18-2006, 07:39 PM

Don
NAR 53455
And Michael's has a 50% off coupon in their Sunday paper ad.

I think I'm gonna get a Screamin' Mimi with my coupon.

barone
09-27-2006, 09:32 PM
Well, not exactly a rocket but sure helps when you don't want to fly 'em naked.......

Anyone with a Michael's near by, check out their flyer for a 40% off coupon. Didn't get a chance to use their 50% off last week. Their prices are usually higher than Hobby Lobby but they have some kits you can't find at Hobby Lobby.

Don
NAR 53455

barone
10-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Yep....seems to be a recurring theme on this thread.......

Don
NAR 53455

barone
10-16-2006, 06:23 AM
Missed the 30% off sale last week. But who wouldn't wait for another 40% off coupon?

Don
NAR 53455

barone
10-29-2006, 01:03 PM
Another 40% off......

CPMcGraw
10-29-2006, 04:36 PM
Another 40% off......

Does anyone remember the last 50% Off sale for rockets? Has HL even mentioned one this year? I've forgotten...:(

barone
10-29-2006, 07:27 PM
I can't remember the last 50% off sale. I can remember the 30% (so I hold out for the coupons). Michael's seems to have 50% single items just about every week it seems, if you get a mailer. I haven't for the past few weeks :( unless my wife is throwing them out before I see them :rolleyes:

barone
11-06-2006, 06:11 PM

barone
11-13-2006, 06:33 PM

barone
11-20-2006, 10:26 AM
http://www.hobbylobby.com/site3/weekly/coupons/2006week47.gif

What an easy way to increase the post numbers ;)

barone
11-26-2006, 09:53 PM

barone
02-14-2007, 02:34 PM

CPMcGraw
02-14-2007, 03:33 PM

It's been almost two years since the last 50% off sale on Estes and Quest. HL apparently cleared out their warehouses of older kits back then.

ghrocketman
02-14-2007, 03:44 PM
I wish Hobby Lobby would do one of the following:
1) Include engines on the sale because they NEVER have any kits I find worthwhile.
or
2) Start carrying Semroc products and put them on 30% off sale.

barone
02-14-2007, 04:49 PM
It's been almost two years since the last 50% off sale on Estes and Quest. HL apparently cleared out their warehouses of older kits back then.My local HL put all their Quest kits on clearance (well, 40% off regular price). Now the only thing they carry is Estes (and discounting the OOP kits). Picked up an Outlander for $8.50.

There was an old mom and pop hobby shop about an hour from me that carried some really old stock (picked up most of the older Custom kits from there). I went there last weekend hoping to find some more (every once in a while he'd find some more stuff in the stock room.....he had so much stuff in there I don't believe he knew for sure what he had). The place had burned down :(

JRThro
02-15-2007, 08:13 AM
My local HL put all their Quest kits on clearance (well, 40% off regular price). Now the only thing they carry is Estes (and discounting the OOP kits). Picked up an Outlander for $8.50.

There was an old mom and pop hobby shop about an hour from me that carried some really old stock (picked up most of the older Custom kits from there). I went there last weekend hoping to find some more (every once in a while he'd find some more stuff in the stock room.....he had so much stuff in there I don't believe he knew for sure what he had). The place had burned down :(
That's a shame, Don!

One of our local HL's has Outlanders on sale for $11.50 or so, but I can't bring myself to buy one since I already have one in the bag at home. I have bought several Quest Tomahawks and/or Harpoons recently for around $8.00 apiece, and a Pipsqueak for like $2.99.

barone
02-18-2007, 10:45 PM

Solomoriah
02-24-2007, 10:31 AM
My local HL put all their Quest kits on clearance (well, 40% off regular price). Now the only thing they carry is Estes (and discounting the OOP kits). Picked up an Outlander for $8.50.
I got two the same way for $4.06 each.

... not ready to undertake the build, though. Still polishing my old skills up.

barone
03-05-2007, 07:52 PM

40% off coupon. Check the sales add. Excel hobby knives and replacement blades are 50% off.

dwmzmm
03-05-2007, 08:06 PM
That's a shame, Don!

One of our local HL's has Outlanders on sale for $11.50 or so, but I can't bring myself to buy one since I already have one in the bag at home. I have bought several Quest Tomahawks and/or Harpoons recently for around $8.00 apiece, and a Pipsqueak for like $2.99.

John, I purchased an Estes Outlander marked down to around $5 at the Hobby Lobby at
FM 529/Hwy 6 some time ago. The bag was partially opened, but as far as I know, all the
parts are still there. Just haven't gotten around to start building it. I think the intense work
on the PDRocketry's Gemini Titan - 3 kit got me a little "burned out."

This was the same time I bought an Estes Blue Ninja that was marked down around $5 too.
Only thing missing from the Blue Ninja was the engine lock ring. A quick e-mail to Estes
customer service solved the problem and a package from Estes arrived at my house about
a week later with the needed part. Excellent customer service!

CPMcGraw
03-19-2007, 09:03 PM
Just got the weekly specials, and Hobby Lobby has given the smallest discount I've seen -- 25% off kits and starter sets.

Their warehouse must finally be empty...

Solomoriah
03-19-2007, 09:12 PM
But they are doing 40% off right now. I went to town with my wife this morning, and each of us bought a pack of engines (burned a bunch the 11th) for basically $3.00 plus tax for each pack.

Going back at least one more day with more coupons to get some more engines. Gave a handful of coupons to Justin (my protege) so he can go to town with his mom and get something also.

barone
04-15-2007, 10:01 AM
40% off any one item coupon and 25% off rocket kits......

barone
04-22-2007, 04:05 PM
Okay....it's getting that time of year to start finishing the winter projects. Hobby Lobby has 30% off on Krylon Paint this week. Of course, you never know, they might have a 40% coupon next week..... ;)

Solomoriah
04-22-2007, 06:35 PM
Krylon... gah. Never had so much trouble with runs as with Krylon.

I'm getting along great with ColorPlace (the cheapo Wal-Mart paint) and Miracal (the cheapo Dollar General paint), though the limited color range is annoying. Kilz CraftCote (I think that's the brand name) is also available at Wal-Mart, and it comes in a broader variety of colors.

barone
04-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Another 40% off coupon. Maybe someone will find that new issue Red Max.....

http://www.hobbylobby.com/site3/weekly/coupons/2007week18.gif

dwmzmm
04-30-2007, 10:33 PM
Another 40% off coupon. Maybe someone will find that new issue Red Max.....

http://www.hobbylobby.com/site3/weekly/coupons/2007week18.gif

Thanks, but I went today to one Hobby Lobby looking for the Estes ThunderStar X-Prize kit,
and was surprised to see this HL doesn't have them anymore (seems like the ThunderStar
was ALWAYS in stock before)! I was needing one for the upcoming Moon, Mars and Beyond
Regional Meet at JSC this coming weekend (for the Future Scale/Science Fiction event). I
even went to a Michael's just about a block from this HL hoping they had the ThunderStar,
but nope.

I'll go check at another Hobby Lobby tomorrow, maybe I'll be lucky. If not, I'll just have to
settle using my Gauchito or Rubicon (or maybe the Vanguard Eagle) models, but I'm having
a heck of a time looking for good pics and data on the real things....

barone
05-01-2007, 07:21 AM
Thanks, but I went today to one Hobby Lobby looking for the Estes ThunderStar X-Prize kit,
and was surprised to see this HL doesn't have them anymore (seems like the ThunderStar
was ALWAYS in stock before)! I was needing one for the upcoming Moon, Mars and Beyond
Regional Meet at JSC this coming weekend (for the Future Scale/Science Fiction event). I
even went to a Michael's just about a block from this HL hoping they had the ThunderStar,
but nope.

I'll go check at another Hobby Lobby tomorrow, maybe I'll be lucky. If not, I'll just have to
settle using my Gauchito or Rubicon (or maybe the Vanguard Eagle) models, but I'm having
a heck of a time looking for good pics and data on the real things....
Dave,

If they have one here, ya want me to pick it up for you? Probably won't get to you in time though. I had a similar problem with some rocket motors. Odered them two weeks before the event. They arrived the Monday before. Wrong ones. Correct ones made it here the Monday after. Didn't matter I guess. I used the wrong ones anyway and the ejection charge caught the rocket on fire! (Do not fly composite in paper rockets :( )

dwmzmm
05-01-2007, 09:22 AM
Dave,

If they have one here, ya want me to pick it up for you? Probably won't get to you in time though. I had a similar problem with some rocket motors. Odered them two weeks before the event. They arrived the Monday before. Wrong ones. Correct ones made it here the Monday after. Didn't matter I guess. I used the wrong ones anyway and the ejection charge caught the rocket on fire! (Do not fly composite in paper rockets :( )

Don, thanks for the offer, but I pulled out my Estes Vanguard Eagle kit and finally opened the
package to get the instructions and inspect the parts. Looks like I should be able to assemble it in one evening. I think I can get the scale data I need to make it qualified for
the contest this weekend. I would venture to guess the ThunderStar will take a little more
work as far as assembly goes.

I wanted to use my Estes Maxi-Brute STAR WARS X-Wing for the event, but I weighed it last
Sunday and was astonished to find it weighs 15.25 oz without the engines, parachutes &
wadding. The first and last time I flew it, it was launched with a five engine cluster as I
could use QuickBurst's Hot Shot igniters then. With the ATF issues he's having now, I need
some expensive permit to get them now, so I'm not going to bend over backwards to do
that. I wanted to see if a D12-3 would work, but the X-Wing is just too heavy :( :mad:

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-07-2007, 10:58 PM
http://by105fd.bay105.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg?msg=6B5AE877-358B-420C-B914-0DB1785A646B&start=0&len=12099&imgsafe=n&curmbox=00000000%2d0000%2d0000%2d0000%2d000000000001&a=5d8922360deb88e19af0574f1b3b1a529c8b9893f9f818de9d1ffcbe08aef214

I don't know about you guys, but with boas 50% off, I'm thinking streamers! :cool: Maybe we can get the NAR to adopt a Carol Channing streamer event at NARAM this year. This gives me a REALLY good chance to correctly outfit my U.S.S. Phyllis Diller (formerly known as the Interceptor.) The heck with those pesky decals. :rolleyes:

DaveR
05-08-2007, 09:48 AM
http://by105fd.bay105.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg?msg=6B5AE877-358B-420C-B914-0DB1785A646B&start=0&len=12099&imgsafe=n&curmbox=00000000%2d0000%2d0000%2d0000%2d000000000001&a=5d8922360deb88e19af0574f1b3b1a529c8b9893f9f818de9d1ffcbe08aef214

I don't know about you guys, but with boas 50% off, I'm thinking streamers! :cool: Maybe we can get the NAR to adopt a Carol Channing streamer event at NARAM this year. This gives me a REALLY good chance to correctly outfit my U.S.S. Phyllis Diller (formerly known as the Interceptor.) The heck with those pesky decals. :rolleyes:

Man...... You ain't right! :D

Maybe you should come up with a new rocket design that uses break-up recovery and boas, you could call it "strip tease"

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Man...... You ain't right! :D

C'mon, man. BOAS? At Hobby Lobby? What could your hobby be? :confused:
:eek:
On second thought, let's not go there. Someone might have pictures.

DaveR
05-08-2007, 10:23 PM
C'mon, man. BOAS? At Hobby Lobby? What could your hobby be? :confused:

You have a valid point, but Mother's Day is.................never mind. :o

barone
05-28-2007, 10:08 AM
25% off Estes kits or 40% off any one item......

Solomoriah
08-15-2007, 11:17 PM
Hey, assuming there is anyone here who, like me, prints out multiple Hobby Lobby coupons (for distribution to friends, relatives, acquaintances, etc.), this may be of interest:

http://rocketry.newcenturycomputers.net/hobbylobby.html

The page is refreshed every Monday morning. Print it out in Landscape mode and you get four of whatever coupon they are using on a single sheet (assuming you are using Firefox and have automatic print scaling enabled, which is the default I think; IE users may find it a bit less useful).

pantherjon
08-16-2007, 12:45 AM
Cool deal! Now to have a Hobby Lobby nearby....less then 150 miles nearby...

barone
09-10-2007, 07:23 AM
Well, if you missed the 40% off coupon last week, you can pick up Excel hobby knives and replacement blades for 50% off.

http://www.hobbylobby.com/site3/weekly/specials/specials-big.cfm

barone
09-17-2007, 07:36 AM
Hobby Lobby has 40% off coupon again this week. Dave...go get that D-Region before I do :rolleyes:

http://www.hobbylobby.com/site3/weekly/coupon.cfm

Solomoriah
09-17-2007, 07:54 AM
And once again, my handy four-in-one page is updated:

DaveR
09-17-2007, 12:40 PM
Hobby Lobby has 40% off coupon again this week. Dave...go get that D-Region before I do :rolleyes:

Got it!! There is another one though, it's all yours. It was hiding, so I left it were it was.

barone
09-17-2007, 07:01 PM
Got it!! There is another one though, it's all yours. It was hiding, so I left it were it was.
LOL.....bought one of those Astrovision things instead....

barone
10-01-2007, 07:36 AM

barone
10-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Hobby Lobby has 25% off on rocket kits and starter sets this week. Just in case you can't wait for the 40% off coupon... :rolleyes:

tbzep
10-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Hobby Lobby has 25% off on rocket kits and starter sets this week. Just in case you can't wait for the 40% off coupon... :rolleyes:

My family racked up on the 40% coupons yesterday. We also took advantage of KY's lower sales tax. :D My daughter had a gymnastics competition in Paducah, so we printed off a bunch of coupons. I got a D-Region Tomahawk. I probably would never have bought one if not for the good discount. My daughter got herself a Mean Machine and is already wanting me to paint it Lime Green for her. :eek: My wife bought me some D12's and my son picked up some D12's for a BT-80 size Raytheon Patriot patterend loosely on the Estes Pro Patriot for his third scratch build. Yes, my kids do fly rockets, so my wife was the only one that was buying for me. :o

Our local Hobby Lobby (about 40 miles away) has a terrible selection. The Paducah store was much better, but still terrible compared to what I'd like to see.

CPMcGraw
10-07-2007, 12:26 PM

But they've raised the prices on #1406 starter sets to $29, when they were selling for $19. These are now at the same prices that the LHS sells them for.

The days of half-price sales are, indeed, long gone... :(

sandman
10-07-2007, 01:05 PM
But they've raised the prices on #1406 starter sets to $29, when they were selling for $19. These are now at the same prices that the LHS sells them for.

The days of half-price sales are, indeed, long gone... :(

But they still have the "clearance Isle". ;)

barone
10-14-2007, 03:03 PM

barone
10-28-2007, 02:08 PM

CPMcGraw
10-30-2007, 06:59 PM
Yeah, so I clipped the coupon from the 'net, and headed my way toward the local HL to see what they might have got in...

No DRMs, no Interceptors, one DRT, and two of them thar AstroVision camera thingies...

Sigh...

So now, the store is one less Astrovision camera thingie...:D

I get home with it, start opening the box, and am confronted with a set of plastic baggies stuck firmly to the insides of the box with waaaaay too much hot glue. I start taking a pair of scissors to the baggies and...

Ooopsie! :eek: :( Cut right through the shock chord rubber without even seeing it. :confused:

Oh, well, had already planned to change out the mount with some Kevlar to begin with, so no real harm done. Still, it's annoying to have it happen. I wonder how many times other purchasers have done this, though?

I did note one important feature, though, about the camera. The shoulder of the camera is a just-loose fit into ST-13 tubing. My eyes lit up at this discovery, as I just happen to have a cloned Estes Cyclone (one of the ugliest ugly birds - if not the ugliest - in the catalog) sitting off to the side. The Cyclone and the AstroVision booster stand almost the same height off the table. With the AV sitting on top, the bird actually doesn't look quite so bad. And since the AV is longer and heavier than the BC-13 nose cone it had, stability should not be a big issue.

Be watching for a series of new AstroVision launch boosters in the days to come...:D One I'm already looking at is an ST-13 version of the EAC Viper using 24mm power.

At $70, the AV is a little on the pricey side, but at $42 it's not that bad a deal. And it is a starter set, so you're gaining an extra pad and controller for that price. This gets me back to 4 pads again, and 4 controllers. Generally I only use one pad, but now I've got plenty of spares so long as I don't get another pad-hang with a "C" or "D"...

snaquin
10-30-2007, 07:43 PM
I did note one important feature, though, about the camera. The shoulder of the camera is a just-loose fit into ST-13 tubing.....Be watching for a series of new AstroVision launch boosters in the days to come...:D One I'm already looking at is an ST-13 version of the EAC Viper using 24mm power.

Craig,

I've been tossing designs into RockSim about AstroVision launch boosters too. I know I want 24mm power in the booster. I like the feature that the AstroVision in picture mode snaps three shots per flight. I found a file on the Apogee site for the AstroVision to copy and paste the camera onto several EnerJet rockets I've been messing with to see how it would fair. I attached the file should you want to copy any of the parts from it.

At $70, the AV is a little on the pricey side, but at $42 it's not that bad a deal.

I also clipped the coupon and I expect to be nearby the HL in Hammond, LA this coming Saturday and I may pick up the AstroVision set if they have one. The HL in Baton Rouge had it but it wasn't a 40% off coupon week when I noticed it. I still have a pen cam to fly at the next launch but I'm with you, at $42 it's a pretty good deal.

barone
10-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Guys...word of warning....the Astrovision software is not capatible with the Vista operating system. :(

Initiator001
10-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Guys...word of warning....the Astrovision software is not capatible with the Vista operating system. :(

Also, I've been told that the Astrovision software is different than that included with the Oracle.

Bob

CPMcGraw
10-30-2007, 09:04 PM

The list of software actually compatable with Vista seems to be a short one in general. There's word of SP1 coming Real Soon Now...

I'm safe for now, as I use XP Pro and XP Home on all of my computers. What I'm finding is a DOA AstroVision unit. I've tried the software out on two different computers, and the camera simply will not connect to either.

I sent a message up to Estes, but I think I'll just try to take this one back to HL and see if they will swap it out with the other box. Good thing I still have the receipt.

snaquin
10-30-2007, 10:20 PM

I'm also using XP Home and XP Pro on both of my home computers.

Any comments about how well the camera works in photo mode or have you tried that yet?

CPMcGraw
10-30-2007, 10:30 PM
I'm also using XP Home and XP Pro on both of my home computers.

Any comments about how well the camera works in photo mode or have you tried that yet?

(If you're asking me...)

Doesn't work in either mode. The unit I have here is a dud round. The lights blink like they're supposed to, but neither computer can DL any images. The camera part of the package may actually work, but the USB communications link may be the issue. What I may do is take my laptop with me when I go to exchange it and connect it to the other camera there in the store.

I've Google'd to find anything about dead AVs, and so far there's nothing popping up. This may just be a bad unit from a batch of otherwise good ones.

stefanj
10-30-2007, 10:31 PM
Gawd, I really despise Vista. It's like having a nursery school teacher used to dealing with special needs kids between you and the computer.

snaquin
10-30-2007, 10:44 PM
(If you're asking me...)

Doesn't work in either mode. The unit I have here is a dud round. The lights blink like they're supposed to, but neither computer can DL any images. The camera part of the package may actually work, but the USB communications link may be the issue. What I may do is take my laptop with me when I go to exchange it and connect it to the other camera there in the store.

I've Google'd to find anything about dead AVs, and so far there's nothing popping up. This may just be a bad unit from a batch of otherwise good ones.

That's about my kind of luck. If there's a defective one on the shelf ..... that will be the one I pick up.

Bummer. Hopefully the other AV will still be there should you need to exchange it.

CPMcGraw
10-31-2007, 03:16 PM
OK, took the DOA back to HL and the checkout lady recognized me from yesterday. The swap was as painless as you could imagine, and she never even bothered opening the first box to check if everything was there (it was...), or asked for the receipt. She even let me jump to the front of the line and bagged it up for me. Nice lady.

The replacement AV works fine, and was recognized immediately. Now to get to some serious testing with it. At 5 FPS, though, the output quality reminde me of some '70s psychadellic imagery, where everything's a blur and nothing's in focus. Timothy Leary would feel right at home. I might have to play some Moody Blues while watching the flight shots...

Doug Sams
10-31-2007, 06:37 PM
Gawd, I really despise Vista. It's like having a nursery school teacher used to dealing with special needs kids between you and the computer.So they now have an operating system for my mother in law :)

Doug

barone
11-04-2007, 08:08 AM
Can you beleive this........two weeks in a row....... :D

Now, if they only would get some rockets we want to buy..... :(

CPMcGraw
11-04-2007, 08:27 AM
You'll probably see more of them for the next eight weeks -- Christmas is fast approaching, and this is one way to get customers in the store. Great way to move merchandise.

tbzep
11-04-2007, 11:27 AM
Now, if they only would get some rockets we want to buy..... :(

You know you need some more D12-5's or E9-6's. :D

sandman
11-04-2007, 11:31 AM

DUH! I thought that was a given...if they have no kits I want...I buy engines!

dwmzmm
11-04-2007, 01:43 PM

At the Maker Faire in Austin several weekends ago, I was told by one of the Estes reprenstative that they're working on having one or more 24 mm size RTF stuff for
Wal-Mart; if that happens, then we can expect to see Estes 24 mm motors (probably
the D12's) for sale in Wal-Mart's in the near future at bargain prices....

CPMcGraw
11-04-2007, 03:31 PM
At the Maker Faire in Austin several weekends ago, I was told by one of the Estes reprenstative that they're working on having one or more 24 mm size RTF stuff for
Wal-Mart; if that happens, then we can expect to see Estes 24 mm motors (probably
the D12's) for sale in Wal-Mart's in the near future at bargain prices....

Drat...

Now I've got a reason to be grateful for RTFs...:o :D

Rocket Doctor
11-04-2007, 06:17 PM
If that is true, that concept is an add on, Wal-Mart was looking for a more adventurous rocket that what they had sold in the past.

Don't count on motors too soon, my Wal-Mart has had A10 motors in quantity and never sell them, I told the toy dept manager about this, and they look dumb at you .

dwmzmm
11-04-2007, 06:27 PM
If that is true, that concept is an add on, Wal-Mart was looking for a more adventurous rocket that what they had sold in the past.

Don't count on motors too soon, my Wal-Mart has had A10 motors in quantity and never sell them, I told the toy dept manager about this, and they look dumb at you .

May be true, but I can say that the two Wal-Marts near where I live sells both the A10's and
the 18 mm's (usually C6-3, C6-5, and sometimes A8-3's are stocked as well as B6-4's) fairly
briskly. Even the box of Estes Blast Off Flight Paks sells well (at $29 each). After the
Christmas rush, the shelves where these products are displayed are wiped out.

Another "advantage" here is next to these Wal-Marts, we have a Hobby Lobby. Because of
the price competition of the engines, Hobby Lobby has been selling theirs at the same price
as Wal-Mart. Add to that the 40% discount HL runs from time to time, and since my wife
works at WM, I can get an additional 10% off on my purchases.... :D

CPMcGraw
11-04-2007, 09:18 PM

But, if you're trying to increase sales volume, then WM is the place to push the 24mm line. Those big motors moving through WM mean a(nother) justification for keeping them, which is a good thing for us.

Maybe Estes is trying to get WM to start carrying the "Non RTF" kits alongside the starter sets. Or, could Estes have heard something "through the grapevines" that has changed their tactical plan?

dwmzmm
11-04-2007, 09:29 PM
But, if you're trying to increase sales volume, then WM is the place to push the 24mm line. Those big motors moving through WM mean a(nother) justification for keeping them, which is a good thing for us.

Maybe Estes is trying to get WM to start carrying the "Non RTF" kits alongside the starter sets. Or, could Estes have heard something "through the grapevines" that has changed their tactical plan?

I was told, but can't remember the specifics, that some non-RTF kits for Wal - Mart are in
the works. Was also told that Estes, as a whole, makes a killing on sales through Wal - Mart,
so they have plenty of capital for R & D. Some of the prototypes I saw several weeks ago
look really interesting; one is even a multi-stage (18 mm) kit with a dandy staging system.
And, I think some new scale/sport scale kits are in the works and close to release (of course,
I'll believe it when I see it).....

CPMcGraw
11-04-2007, 09:36 PM
...Was also told that Estes, as a whole, makes a killing on sales through Wal - Mart, so they have plenty of capital for R & D...

This is not surprising, when you add up all of the stores around the country. WM has to be Estes' largest distribution channel, probably trumping Horizon and Great Planes volume combined. So you have to wonder, was this an Estes idea, or a WM idea, to increase the variety?

dwmzmm
11-05-2007, 05:25 AM
So you have to wonder, was this an Estes idea, or a WM idea, to increase the variety?

Probably both; the Cox brand name is well known from over the years for both hobby and
toy stores.....

Rocket Doctor
11-05-2007, 06:55 AM
WM wanted something new, I was asked to come up with some suggestions for WM, one of my ideas was the return of the Cox Lieelt Joe II, with a information booklet.
As far as the "D" motor RTF's goes, I also tried to get Estes to put D motors into WM, but was told, that they didn't have kits to support them. So, I guess they had a change of heart, and, now are concentrating on D motor kits for WM, very surprising to me.

Estes needed to do something, the available kits at WM was next to nothing.
As far as motors goes, they usually have A10's, A8-3, no B's and plenty of C's, my point being, they have so many A10's, they don't support any current kits that WM sells.

WM needs to order motors on a as needed basis, like the hobby shops do, if the A's and B's are gone, you shouldn't have to order a master pack that includes such a variety, just to have a whole lot of A10's sitting around.

It would be great if Estes does indeed put D motor kits into WM, and back it up with motors.
All yet to be seen, Estes was loosing business with their offerings in WM and needed to do something to change that.
I also wanted to see WM carry B6-0's as well, but, that got shot down.
You have to admit, the selection of kits at WM has dwindled, I check out all the local WM and have reports from friends, they all say the same thing.
If you want to see a huge selection of Estes kits, go to the WM on Highway 50 in Canon City, you will be amazed, plus the fact, it's 10 miles west of Estes .

As far as the Cox name goes, it is much different than it was many years ago, many changes, switching over to battery operated airplane motors rather than fuel, too many municipalities complain about the noise.

Remember the .049 airplane motors that you couldn't get started, that was common for a vintage Cox motor, the good old days.

tbzep
11-05-2007, 07:42 AM
We need to remember that D motors at WM is not a new thing. They have been sold at WM before in packs of two including wadding. I have several. I don't remember WM ever selling a 24mm kit, so they have at one time kept motors without having a kit to go with it.

Rocket Doctor
11-05-2007, 07:59 AM
The bottom line is, there are NO D motors available now. And, the policy is/was, WM wouldn't carry any motors that they didn't have kits to go along with.

When they carried the Launchables, diamand packs, there were kits that needed A10's, not now, so, the A10's are in a great supply.

Like I said, try to find B motors, and even A's at times, usually, A10's hardly any A's, no B's and a few C's.

If Estes is going to bring out D powered rockets for WM, that's great, better yet, if they also have the motors to go along with them.
WM has some strange rules for carrying products from any manufactuere, if it doesn't sell, WM gets rid of that particular product.

Like I mentioned, this is a change from a year ago, no such kits were planned.

kurtschachner
11-05-2007, 08:14 AM
We need to remember that D motors at WM is not a new thing. They have been sold at WM before in packs of two including wadding. I have several. I don't remember WM ever selling a 24mm kit, so they have at one time kept motors without having a kit to go with it.

How long ago was that? I remember back in the early '90s (?) Toys-R-Us sold six-packs of D12-3s. They were used on a kit which was being sold at that time.

Ltvscout
11-05-2007, 08:16 AM
Remember the .049 airplane motors that you couldn't get started, that was common for a vintage Cox motor, the good old days.
Ehhh? I used .049's all throughout my youth, both Cox and WenMac, in various flying and non-flying "projects." I never had problems starting them. I even made my own fuel. I used to race gokarts and the McCulloch motors we ran used Alky-Nitro fuel just like the Top Fuel dragsters. I looked at some of the ratios of alcohol/nitro/castor oil on some of the fuel cans by companies like Cox & K&B and concocted my own fuel with stuff I had on-hand. The higher the nitro content, the higher the RPM. ;) I also substituted Klotz oil (a red synthetic) for castor oil. It smelled a lot better than castor oil.

Rocket Doctor
11-05-2007, 09:46 AM
You were very lucky, I heard of many flyers who couldn't get them started, and if by chance they did start, they wouldn't keep running.

How about the good old jet X engines. We are aging ourselves, things are much different now, unfortunately.

Solomoriah
11-05-2007, 09:53 AM
An old Popular Mechanics article recommended starting the .049 engines clamped in a vise using a power drill, then running the engine for some time (I forget how long) to break it in.

I had one of those line-guided planes and never got the darn thing started. Didn't see that article until years later.

Ltvscout
11-05-2007, 10:01 AM
You were very lucky, I heard of many flyers who couldn't get them started, and if by chance they did start, they wouldn't keep running.

How about the good old jet X engines. We are aging ourselves, things are much different now, unfortunately.
Huh, never had problems getting them started or keeping them running and never did break any of them in.

But, I can probably attribute that to my go-kart racing as well. The motors we raced were 2-stroke motors. The carbs needed to be adjusted just right for them to run correctly. Plus, during the race I would've have to richen/lean out the low end and high end jets. With the exotic fuels we ran any change in temp, humidity or pressure would change the carb setting. With the mixture set too fat the motor would 4-cycle and would lose power. If you accidentally set it to lean you'd "stick" the motor. That was usually catastrophic and would require a rebuild including boring out the motor and putting in an over-size piston.

Model airplane engines are 2-stroke as well. You have to have the fuel mixture adjusted just right for them to work well and stay running.

I never used Jet-X.

kurtschachner
11-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Ehhh? I used .049's all throughout my youth, both Cox and WenMac, in various flying and non-flying "projects." I never had problems starting them. I even made my own fuel. I used to race gokarts and the McCulloch motors we ran used Alky-Nitro fuel just like the Top Fuel dragsters. I looked at some of the ratios of alcohol/nitro/castor oil on some of the fuel cans by companies like Cox & K&B and concocted my own fuel with stuff I had on-hand. The higher the nitro content, the higher the RPM. ;) I also substituted Klotz oil (a red synthetic) for castor oil. It smelled a lot better than castor oil.

I'm with RD on this one. I NEVER could get the dang thing started! And once, ONCE when I did get it finally started, I crashed the airplane.

Probably why I switched to rocketry ;)

Gingerdawg
11-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Dude, it was the Dude!! :eek:

Ltvscout
11-05-2007, 11:00 AM
Who could forget? ;)

tbzep
11-05-2007, 11:02 AM

I never saw the Dude at WalMart....thank goodness. :rolleyes:

tbzep
11-05-2007, 11:03 AM
How long ago was that? I remember back in the early '90s (?) Toys-R-Us sold six-packs of D12-3s. They were used on a kit which was being sold at that time.

I think it was a couple years ago.

Gingerdawg
11-05-2007, 11:08 AM
I think they only had them for one season, around 2001 maybe? The engines were clearanced off after that.

tbzep
11-05-2007, 11:56 AM
I think they only had them for one season, around 2001 maybe? The engines were clearanced off after that.

I got them much more recently than that.

tbzep
11-05-2007, 12:00 PM
I just found where I posted about it over on TRF. I got the motors on Oct 31, 2004. Almost exactly three years ago. My wife found them in the clearance isle and bought the whole batch! :D Motor find (http://www.rocketryforum.com/showpost.php?p=136934&postcount=1)

kurtschachner
11-05-2007, 12:56 PM
I think it was a couple years ago.

Heh, no, at least not the time I remember. It was at least 10 years ago - probably more like 12-13. But I haven't been in a TRU since my girls were little so you've probably seen the Ds there since I last did.

Initiator001
11-05-2007, 01:24 PM

I never had any trouble starting my Cox .049 Black Widow engine. The spring starter was a big help. :D

On the other hand, my Cox .049 TD was a bear to start. I finally bought a Sullivan electric starter to get it going. :rolleyes:

Bob

Initiator001
11-05-2007, 01:25 PM

That's where I bought mine. ;)

Bob

tbzep
11-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Heh, no, at least not the time I remember. It was at least 10 years ago - probably more like 12-13. But I haven't been in a TRU since my girls were little so you've probably seen the Ds there since I last did.

I don't think I've ever bought any motors at a TRU. This was Wally World that I got the D12 twin packs. I did catch some at a mall toy store, not a K.B, but something similar, that was going out of business about 10 years ago and got a bag full of motors at 75% off. IIRC, some of the packages were pretty old with the pink hanging card (Cobra labeled?).

Gingerdawg
11-05-2007, 03:53 PM
I Think the D motor twin packs were a wallmart only package. Maybe RD can shed some light on this. I believe they made them in two packs so they could sell them at the same price as the 18mm three packs. My guess is that your wally world still had some D12 stock laying around in 2004 from the Dude days.

moonzero2
11-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Just got home from Hobby Lobby (Parker, CO) after using my 40% off coupon.
No Interceptors.
No C11-3s.
So I seattled on a 3 pack of D12-3s.

tbzep
11-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Just got home from Hobby Lobby (Parker, CO) after using my 40% off coupon.
No Interceptors.
No C11-3s.
So I seattled on a 3 pack of D12-3s.

There were no C11's of any kind at either of the Hobby Lobby stores I've been to recently. :(

dwmzmm
11-05-2007, 06:22 PM
The one kit that was pointed out to me that I think might (and I have to emphasize the
word "might") be a possible 24 mm RTF (for starters) is the Blue Ninja. Was told that the
Blue Ninja is a hot seller for Estes. Wouldn't be all that difficult to convert a batch to the
RTF format (Starter Set?!) and have the D12-3 & D12-5 motors on the Wal - Mart shelf
to keep them flying (and selling). I have one Blue Ninja that I got on clearance at a Hobby
Lobby last year (package was opened; kit building was started already) for less than $5,
and I just love to fly it for sport and demos.

CPMcGraw
11-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Took my weekly trip out to the HL today to see if anything had arrived...

No DRMs, one DRT, no Interceptors, one or two Big Daddys, four or five Eliminators...

And as for the DOA AstroVision I returned last week, I found it sitting on the shelf as if it were a brand new package. It still had my tape holding the box together. I tried to tell the checkout lady (same one as before...) that it really needed to be sent back to Estes, but she was distracted by someone as she handed me my receipt for another purchase and I couldn't get her attention again.

The next customer who picks that package is going to be sorely disappointed (and angry) with that HL when they open it up. I feel bad for them, but not so much for the store. I know what it looks like inside, and I did tell them when I brought it back that it wouldn't work.

Quick aside, Dana at Estes Customer Service called today while I was out concerning this AV. I wish I had been home to say "hello". To have a real person call back concerning a local purchase is a good touch. Estes does do some things right, and this is one of them. :D

barone
11-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Yep...three weeks in a row.....Gotta love the holiday season......more motors to buy and stock up for the spring..... :)

sandman
11-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Check your coupons for Hobby Lobby!

I just got an email from Hobby Lobby with a new coupon!

The original coupon posted for this week has the wrong dates but they fixed it.

Ltvscout
11-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Michael's has coupons as well. Two 50% off coupons. One good yesterday/today and the other good on Saturday. There's also a 40% off coupon good for Tue-Fri.

CPMcGraw
11-18-2007, 10:12 AM
For the week of Nov 19-24, HL has sent out yet another 40% coupon. One more chance to grab an Interceptor (if you can find one!)...

Rocket Doctor
11-18-2007, 11:49 AM
For all you LUCKY Hobby Lobby customers, if you check out thier web site, there are two regions were there are NO Hobby Lobby's, the West and the North East.

If you go to their home page, click on the store locator, then, you can check by state and you will find store locations and hours of operation, I have notice that many are closed on Sundays.

And yes, there is a 40% off coupon dated NOv 19th - 24th

Ltvscout
11-18-2007, 11:54 AM
For all you LUCKY Hobby Lobby customers, if you check out thier web site, there are two regions were there are NO Hobby Lobby's, the West and the North East.
Nor are they in the Milwaukee county area. :(

tbzep
11-18-2007, 12:06 PM
Nor are they in the Milwaukee county area. :(

True, but you guys have real hobby shops and Green Bay Packers (playing right now), where we have rural nothingness except a Wally World or two here and there.

Rocket Doctor
11-18-2007, 12:16 PM
Scott

Move East.....we have concrete highways, pollution, overpopulation, refineries, garbage, attitudes, cops, no HOBBY LOBBY's, plenty of Wal-Marts, target's, Kohls, JC Penneys, Sears, and, if your lucky , some good old hobby shops, few and far between.

RD

Rocketflyer
11-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Scott

Move East.....we have concrete highways, pollution, overpopulation, refineries, garbage, attitudes, cops, no HOBBY LOBBY's, plenty of Wal-Marts, target's, Kohls, JC Penneys, Sears, and, if your lucky , some good old hobby shops, few and far between.

RD

Heh, heh. You mean cops with attitudes, don'cha? :rolleyes: Yep, all of the above and not a decent place to buy rockets. (oh, we can "order" it for you, but it will cost you). :( Foo!!

Rocket Doctor
11-18-2007, 01:23 PM
Yes.......your correct........cops with attitudes,especially when your driving to buy your rocketry supplies, they look in your bag and think the worse. Next thing you know, your the STAR on COPS Bad Boys, Bad Boys wacha gonna do when they come for YOU ????

Rocket Doctor
11-18-2007, 01:26 PM
Heh, heh. You mean cops with attitudes, don'cha? :rolleyes: Yep, all of the above and not a decent place to buy rockets. (oh, we can "order" it for you, but it will cost you). :( Foo!!

You can order me some Chinese from column A, no msg, and plenty of fortune cookies and chop sticks.

Ltvscout
11-18-2007, 01:41 PM
and Green Bay Packers (playing right now),
Who are kicking butt and taking names I might add. :D

Ltvscout
11-18-2007, 01:42 PM
Scott

We have all that, just no HL like you.

PaulK
11-19-2007, 08:49 AM
True, but you guys have real hobby shops and Green Bay Packers (playing right now), where we have rural nothingness except a Wally World or two here and there.Agreed. While it would be nice to have a HL for the prices, I'm thankful we have Greenfield News & Hobby, Model Empire, Happy Hobby, Hiawatha Hobbies (in nearby Waukesha), and Hobbytown USA (New Berlin).

ghrocketman
11-19-2007, 09:31 AM
Brett Farve (yes I spelled it that way on PURPOSE, if he wants to pronounce it that way, I will spell it that way!) often does not play well at Ford Field in Detroit.
That is what I hope happens on Thanksgiving Day.
I hope the whole Green Bay (which is a city that could never get a NFL team in this day and age due to small market) team over eats before the game and can't move ! :D :p :D

GO LIONS !!!!

tbzep
11-19-2007, 02:03 PM
Brett Farve (yes I spelled it that way on PURPOSE, if he wants to pronounce it that way, I will spell it that way!) often does not play well at Ford Field in Detroit.
That is what I hope happens on Thanksgiving Day.
I hope the whole Green Bay (which is a city that could never get a NFL team in this day and age due to small market) team over eats before the game and can't move ! :D :p :D

GO LIONS !!!!

IIRC, the Packers have occasionally played some home games in Milwalkee, haven't they? Going by population of GB itself they are small market, but they have a huge following...almost cult like.

kurtschachner
11-19-2007, 03:20 PM
IIRC, the Packers have occasionally played some home games in Milwalkee, haven't they? Going by population of GB itself they are small market, but they have a huge following...almost cult like.

Well, not any more. They did when I first came to Milwaukee in the 80's but it stopped in the mid 1990's:

http://www.stadiumsofnfl.com/past/CountyStadium.htm

Here'a a pretty good picture of the stadium in the "football configuration":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Countystadium_football.jpg

CPMcGraw
11-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Had my coupon in-hand, stalking the elusive 1250, and hoping to find one in the local HL, but to no avail...

I did see the same AV package sitting on the shelf that I returned two weeks ago, with my frosted Scotch tape still dutifully holding the box together. Feeling more sympathy for any future customer that might cross its path than for the store, I had to say something to a store clerk about it. The box has now been properly removed from the shelf and taken to be sent back to Estes, or the HL warehouse, for eventual return. It had, in the interim, gained a sibling...

There are two other HLs within 50 miles of my location (Pascagoula, MS and Malbis, AL) where I may try to check. I'm not holding my breath. At least one of these (Malbis) has a Hobbytown USA nearby...

barone
11-19-2007, 07:37 PM
Well, for those of you who don't have a Hobby Lobby, close your eyes and don't read this.....

I just picked up an Estes D-Region for under $10! :eek: Had it marked for $14.99, plus my 40% coupon, $9 plus tax. Yep, I asked the clerk if it was the right price......Don't want to cheat anyone....ANd I went to get the 1250 they had left.....I hid it behind some other packaging till tomorrow :rolleyes:

snaquin
11-19-2007, 08:22 PM
Well, for those of you who don't have a Hobby Lobby, close your eyes and don't read this.....

I just picked up an Estes D-Region for under $10! :eek: Had it marked for $14.99, plus my 40% coupon, $9 plus tax. Yep, I asked the clerk if it was the right price......Don't want to cheat anyone....ANd I went to get the 1250 they had left.....I hid it behind some other packaging till tomorrow :rolleyes:

A $9 D-Region is a tough deal to beat!

I should be near the Hobby Lobby in Hammond, LA again this weekend - and I also noticed there was a Michael's coupon in the paper on Sunday.

I'm just hoping to find a pack or two of D12-0's ..... believe it or not the D12-0's are pretty hard to find around here, as are the 7 second delays.

moonzero2
11-20-2007, 11:35 AM
Well, I struck gold! Picked up a 1250 with my 40% off coupon. Was marked 24.99 and got it for 14.99! :D Then I went back in a picked up a 3 pack of D12-3s with a 2nd 40% off coupon. :D It was mt lucky day! I still can't belive I got a real Interceptor! I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you Estes!

barone
11-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Well, I struck gold! Picked up a 1250 with my 40% off coupon. Was marked 24.99 and got it for 14.99! :D Then I went back in a picked up a 3 pack of D12-3s with a 2nd 40% off coupon. :D It was mt lucky day! I still can't belive I got a real Interceptor! I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you Estes!
I'm not gonna burst your bubble.... ;)

DaveR
11-23-2007, 01:11 PM

I've got some bad news, if you haven't already picked up the 1250........too late, got the last one today at lunch. Wasn't hidden very well, on a peg all by itself. :D

:eek: Don's earlier disclaimer applies here as well: :eek:

A 1250 Interceptor for $16.99 and with the 40% coupon it was $11.13 OTD.

DaveR
11-23-2007, 01:12 PM
I'm not gonna burst your bubble.... ;)

Ooops!!!! Looks like I did. :o

barone
11-23-2007, 01:36 PM
I've got some bad news, if you haven't already picked up the 1250........too late, got the last one today at lunch. Wasn't hidden very well, on a peg all by itself. :D

:eek: Don's earlier disclaimer applies here as well: :eek:

A 1250 Interceptor for $16.99 and with the 40% coupon it was $11.13 OTD.
Someone must have bought the rocket I hid it behind.... :(

Guess I'm going to have to take a trip to Germantown or Collierville...Well, there is a Barnhills in Collierville... :rolleyes:

snaquin
11-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Not much at the Hobby Lobby in Hammond, LA today so I picked up a pack of E9-6's with the coupon.

Couldn't find the D12-0's that I wanted. I guess with only two kits remaining in the Estes catalog that use D12-0's they're not going to stock those so I bought some online at Red Arrow.

moonzero2
11-25-2007, 11:59 AM
Tis' The Season.
New 40% coupon again for Nov 26th thru Dec 1st.
Hope they get in more Interceptors.

barone
12-02-2007, 09:47 AM
Some stores just keep giving and giving.... :)

Now, if they can keep this going thru Christmas I might get everyrhing I want.... :rolleyes:

sandman
12-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Some stores just keep giving and giving.... :)

Now, if they can keep this going thru Christmas I might get everyrhing I want.... :rolleyes:

Then what will you do? :rolleyes:

barone
12-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Then what will you do? :rolleyes:
Wish you honored the coupons.... ;)

MSUrocketgurl
12-05-2007, 12:27 AM
My boyfriend is making me get up early tomorrow so we make drive the two hour round trip to the nearest Hobby Lobby and get back before his exams.

It'll be worth it though - I've had my eye on some stuff :D

barone
12-05-2007, 07:10 AM
My boyfriend is making me get up early tomorrow so we make drive the two hour round trip to the nearest Hobby Lobby and get back before his exams.

It'll be worth it though - I've had my eye on some stuff :D
Well, take plenty of coupons. ;)

Rocket Doctor
12-09-2007, 12:18 PM
For all you lucky Hobby Lobby fans, another 40% off coupon on the web today.

Hopefully, they have the kits and motors you want.......Good luakc !!!!

CPMcGraw
12-09-2007, 07:04 PM
For all you lucky Hobby Lobby fans, another 40% off coupon on the web today...

As well as a whopping 25% off on all Estes Kits and Sets (but not motors)... :p

DANLK66
12-13-2007, 07:08 PM
Glad I took the trip. I was able to pick up a Big Daddy for under $20. I also picked up a pack of E engines while I was there. I just have to wait until X-mas to play with it. :mad:

It will give me time to read up on how best to build it. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip!

barone
12-23-2007, 10:56 AM
I hope everyone got their Christmas shopping in while it lasted. No 40% off coupon for any single item this week. But, there is a 25% off for starter sets.... :rolleyes:

CPMcGraw
12-23-2007, 11:29 AM
I hope everyone got their Christmas shopping in while it lasted. No 40% off coupon for any single item this week. But, there is a 25% off for starter sets.... :rolleyes:

This is a Hobby Lobby regular thing, these 40% coupons. There will be others coming. It brings too many people into the stores to drop it. Give it about two to three weeks, and you'll see another one...

DANLK66
01-02-2008, 02:07 PM
To bad Hobby Lobby does not carry RocSim

barone
01-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Hey....Michael's flyer has a 50% off any single item.

barone
01-06-2008, 07:08 AM

barone
01-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Are the 40% off coupons going to a thing of the past? :( The coupon for this week is only 25% off. Well, anything is better than nothing.... ;)

Shreadvector
01-17-2008, 09:05 AM
http://www.hobbylobby.com/site3/store/locations.cfm

They seem to be creeping closer to CA. I wonder if they will ever enter?

barone
02-03-2008, 08:11 AM
Well, if you wait long enough....

LeeR
02-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Are the 40% off coupons going to a thing of the past? :( The coupon for this week is only 25% off. Well, anything is better than nothing.... ;)

I've been on their email list for quite awhile. They typically offer 40% off any 1 item every other week. There have been a few exceptions, but I just print several copies, and so I still average one discounted item each week!

There is one now that runs 3 -9 Feb. I was going to go there, and my wife informed me they are closed on Sundays -- at least here in Colorado. Oh well, got all week to use!

Rocket Doctor
02-04-2008, 06:25 PM
I've been on their email list for quite awhile. They typically offer 40% off any 1 item every other week. There have been a few exceptions, but I just print several copies, and so I still average one discounted item each week!

There is one now that runs 3 -9 Feb. I was going to go there, and my wife informed me they are closed on Sundays -- at least here in Colorado. Oh well, got all week to use!

Go to their web page listed on their advertising page, look under store locator, it will give the locations and times of operation.

In the North east, there are NO Hobby Lobby's, and in the South, like South Carolina, they are open on Sunday, I guess it goes by location.

Happy hunting.........

CPMcGraw
02-04-2008, 06:38 PM
...in the South, like South Carolina, they are open on Sunday, I guess it goes by location...

The ones in and around Mobile close on Sundays. This is (I think) a company policy. Any store that stays open would seem to be at odds with the company line. It may be left up to the individual store managers, but I think the corporate policy is to close on Sundays. The company owners appear to be of a more religious nature than you'd expect.

Not a terrible policy, really. It gives the employees a guaranteed day off each week to attend services as they see fit. You don't always find that these days.

Rocket Doctor
02-04-2008, 06:56 PM
The ones in and around Mobile close on Sundays. This is (I think) a company policy. Any store that stays open would seem to be at odds with the company line. It may be left up to the individual store managers, but I think the corporate policy is to close on Sundays. The company owners appear to be of a more religious nature than you'd expect.

Not a terrible policy, really. It gives the employees a guaranteed day off each week to attend services as they see fit. You don't always find that these days.

You are correct. According to their web pag under store hours, it says closed on Sundays, but, I do know that a store was open on Sunday in South Carolina , I guess against company policy, I bet that didn't last long.

Solomoriah
02-04-2008, 08:56 PM
I believe they are closed on Sunday everywhere. The owner(s) are very serious about their faith.

Shreadvector
02-05-2008, 07:38 AM
I believe they are closed on Sunday everywhere. The owner(s) are very serious about their faith.

Like Chik-fil-A. They lease many mall spaces across the USA and there is a penalty paid for not opening your store any day of the week. They are shut on Sunday and they pay the penalty (unless they worked out a lease deal, but when I last read about this, they paid the "fine").

You are S.O.O.L. if you are Jewish or 7th Day Adventist or Moslem with these companies.

LeeR
02-09-2008, 12:48 AM
Went to Hobby Lobby last night, and there sat an Interceptor-E. Out the door for $29.99 plus tax, making it a nice round $32 even. I've now got 3, so the buying frenzy really needs to halt.
Got 3 of the standard models as well, and one of them came from this same HL. But the kit was hanging about 2 aisles away from the other rockets. Maybe somebody "parked" it there, and was dashing home to print a coupon!

moonzero2
02-09-2008, 05:05 PM
Yep! I picked up an Interceptor E Thursday for $32 too. I love them 40% off coupons.

barone
02-13-2008, 08:47 AM
Yep! I picked up an Interceptor E Thursday for $32 too. I love them 40% off coupons.
Well, I just had to go in and check to see if my local Hobby Lobbby had the Interceptor E. Sure does. They've got it marked for $59.99 instead of the suggested retail of $49.99. That means, with the 40% of coupon, it's $36 before tax. Still cheaper than buying on-line (when you add shipping charges). I wonder what one can be had for from EBay? :rolleyes:

Ltvscout
02-13-2008, 08:51 AM
Well, I just had to go in and check to see if my local Hobby Lobbby had the Interceptor E. Sure does. They've got it marked for $59.99 instead of the suggested retail of $49.99. That means, with the 40% of coupon, it's $36 before tax. Still cheaper than buying on-line (when you add shipping charges).
I'd bring that to the attention of a manager. Let them know they've priced it $10 OVER retail. It could be a mistake.

DaveR
02-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Well, I just had to go in and check to see if my local Hobby Lobbby had the Interceptor E. Sure does. They've got it marked for $59.99 instead of the suggested retail of $49.99. That means, with the 40% of coupon, it's $36 before tax. Still cheaper than buying on-line (when you add shipping charges). I wonder what one can be had for from EBay? :rolleyes:
...and just how many did they have Don???? Or a better question, how many are left???? ;)
and finally, did they anything else new?

Rocket Doctor
02-13-2008, 12:26 PM

There is two possibilities here, either they priced it too high by mistake, or, Estes has raised prices, it's a new year.

I heard that Estes has raised their prices across the board, and, this was from a hoby shop dealer.

Like mentioned , either take it back or call them up and question it. When the 2008 catalog comes out, let's see how much the prices on everything is????

barone
02-13-2008, 01:55 PM
...and just how many did they have Don???? Or a better question, how many are left???? ;)
and finally, did they anything else new?
LOL....I already got two (building one). It was all by its lonesome self, bottom shelf. Didn't notice anything else. They've got the SpaceShipOnes in the clearence section but only one of them (towards the back of the peg ;) ) is marked down. Last 36D Squared is also marked down. I got a 40% off coupon from Michael's in the mail today so I might make a trip over there and check it out.

moonzero2
02-14-2008, 04:12 AM
They were marked at the $59.99 price at the HL here in Parker Colorado too.

barone
02-18-2008, 08:30 PM
They're baaacccckkkkkk ;)

conleyt
03-16-2008, 07:51 AM
I received something this morning that I've never received before....an email with a printable Michaels coupon for 40% off! Did anyone else receive this?

http://sdm3.rm04.net/servlet/MailView?ms=MTUwNzQ5NAS2&r=MTEzNzA5MTAyNDQS1&j=NDY0OTk5OTkS1&mt=1
Tom C.

tbzep
03-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Nope, but I don't have a Michaels within 100 miles of me.

HL has another 40% off coupon this week, though. :D

Gingerdawg
03-16-2008, 12:35 PM
I received something this morning that I've never received before....an email with a printable Michaels coupon for 40% off! Did anyone else receive this?

http://sdm3.rm04.net/servlet/MailView?ms=MTUwNzQ5NAS2&r=MTEzNzA5MTAyNDQS1&j=NDY0OTk5OTkS1&mt=1
Tom C.
I didn't get an email (I doubt they have my address), but my wife received a 50% coupon card in the mail. I stole it - don't tell her......

Edit: the mailed card was that same, green color. It had a 50% off custom framing and a 50% off one item.

DANLK66
03-22-2008, 11:55 AM
I was able to use the 40% off at Michael’s. I was hoping to get a 24 pack of Estes motors from them but they had a regular price of $54 on them so it was not worth it to use it yet. I ended up with a Bull Pup 12D for $10 which I can live with. It is nice to have another
40% off coupon to get supplies with. Thanks for the tip! :D

Solomoriah
03-22-2008, 12:02 PM
I got a Bullpup 12D at Wal-Mart in the clearance toy section... $5.00.

My protege' Justin will probably buy it from me, as I already have one, and he would like to show a trio of rockets this year in 4-H.

DaveR
03-31-2008, 10:42 AM
30% off rockets and starter sets this week, plus the 40% off one item coupon.

CPMcGraw
04-01-2008, 02:51 PM
SCORE!

Took my "fresh from the printer" 40% off coupon to the local HL this afternoon, just to see what might be new, and found IT. The #1350 'Ceptor, all by its lonesome, smiling at me as I stepped into the aisle...

$50 - 40% = $30 + tax, came to $32 and change.
Happy-lappy at Hobby Lobby... :D

barone
08-03-2008, 08:26 AM
Just to resurrect this thread for all the new folks........ ;)

Solomoriah
08-03-2008, 08:44 AM
And once again I'll mention my convenience page:

Print it in Landscape orientation with "Shrink to Fit Page Width" selected, and there you go!

tbzep
08-03-2008, 08:46 AM
And once again I'll mention my convenience page:

Print it in Landscape orientation with "Shrink to Fit Page Width" selected, and there you go!

This should be made a sticky. :cool:

JRThro
08-10-2008, 02:55 PM
This week, Hobby Lobby has all Estes rocket kits and starter sets for 30% off. This includes rocket engines.

Here's the ad:
http://www.hobbylobby.com/site3/weekly/entire_ad.cfm?menu=1

As it says at the top of the page with the ad, you can subscribe and receive HL's ad every week, just like I do.

AKPilot
08-10-2008, 06:52 PM
30% off including engines this week, which is good if you have to travel a bit of a distance and can only make one trip. However, with the 40% off coupons every other week - if you're near one, I'd wait.

Still, they haven't returned to the 50% off rocketry stuff they used to do a couple years ago. Now those deals were real sweet.

mjstech
08-13-2008, 11:24 PM
I have never been in a Hobby Lobby before. How about Michaels (never been there either) .What kind of selection do they have for rocket kits? Do they have the Estes Blast-off engine pack? With the discount which is cheaper; hobbylinc or Hobby Lobby?
I am confused with the HL coupon, it say 'Wilton Products' 40% off. Aren't we looking at Estes stuff?

Mark

Solomoriah
08-14-2008, 07:14 AM
Hobby Lobby's coupon changes from week to week; the "40% of any single item" is the one we wait for. If it's not this week, it'll probably be next week.

barone
08-14-2008, 07:19 AM
I have never been in a Hobby Lobby before. How about Michaels (never been there either) .What kind of selection do they have for rocket kits? Do they have the Estes Blast-off engine pack? With the discount which is cheaper; hobbylinc or Hobby Lobby?
I am confused with the HL coupon, it say 'Wilton Products' 40% off. Aren't we looking at Estes stuff?

Mark
Selection.......Depends upon the store. Some have a lot, most have little. The Hobby Lobby I frequent has a large selections of Estes motors. Mostly the newer kits. Michael's has a smaller selection of kits but has the Blast Pak motors. Pricey. Best to wait and get a 40% or 50% off coupon in the mail. This week's Hobby Lobby coupon is not for rockets. However, they have the 30% off rocket items that doesn't require a coupon. Most people wait to get the extra 10% off by using the coupon (which lately has been averaging every other week).

AKPilot
08-14-2008, 09:45 AM
I've seen quite a few Michaels stores locally that don't carry rocketry supplies. There's a few that do, including the Blast Off packs - but I wait for those until a 50% off coupon comes up. Typically, though, Michaels carries a vary basic line of Estes models. Still if that's what you got, I wouldn't knock it.

However, I might tend to look at our great on-line vendors.

Solomoriah
08-14-2008, 09:55 AM
I've been to two STL area Michaels and haven't seen rocketry stuff... which ones have rocketry supplies?

AKPilot
08-14-2008, 10:03 AM
The one in O'Fallon and the other in Wentzville. O'Fallon had the better selection, albeit small.