PDA

View Full Version : Centuri Aero-Bat & Acro-Bat

timorley
09-29-2008, 03:10 PM
Saw these on ninfinger in the 1962 and 1964 Centuri catalogs. Obviously related to the Centuri X-21 which is also listed in the 1964 catalog. I have Semroc's reproduction of the X-21.

Aero-Bat: http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/centuri62/62cen2.html
Acro-Bat: http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/centuri64/64cen10.html

Does anyone know if plans for these exist? I didn't see anything on JimZ or YORP.

Thanks!

shockwaveriderz
09-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Tim:

Not that I am aware of although maybe a year ago on Ebay somebody was selling the 62 Aerobat.

Nobody purchased it because nobody hit the Reserve. I think the price at auction end was in the several hundred dollars range.

terry dean

Ltvscout
09-29-2008, 07:09 PM
Does anyone know if plans for these exist? I didn't see anything on JimZ or YORP.
I don't know of actual plans anywhere, but Kenny Vennell sent me this in the Summer. I just haven't had a chance to get it online yet at YORP.

timorley
09-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Thank you! I'll take a look at it.

shockwaveriderz
09-30-2008, 01:13 PM
I thought I would provide some historical background on the Aero-Bat, Acro_Bat and the X-21.

The Aero_bat was designed in late 1961 by Lee Piester after ereturning from NARAM-3 in August 1961 where he saw the Shultz BG demo. It made it into the Centuri 1962 catalog which came out in early to mid 1962.

Back then there was a battle for BG supremacy in cometition between the Estes Space Plane, favored by the western rocketeers centered in Colorado, and the eastern rocketeers, cenetered in New York who favored the Centuri Aero-Bat.

The Centuri Acro-Bat and X-21 where both based on Paul Hans 1962 design. The only differences between the Acro_bat and the X-21 was that the X-21 had a small clear payload section and swept canards.

Gordon Mnadell credits Paul Hans with being the first person to design a BG with canardsm, although Gordon also did extensive research and fight testing with delta canard BG's. (See TR-7)

Attached are 3 photos:

1. This is a diagram of some modes to the base Aer-Bar design. I don't know if its to scale but if it is we can determine sizes as we know the body tube and nose cone used . see the 62-64 centuri catalaogs for parts.

2. A photo of the original Paul Hans BG next to a space plane like design with canards by G. Harry Stine

3. A liftoff photo of an upscaled 2 stage Paul Hans original Acro-Bat design using Coaster engines.

Paul Hans is also credited with being the first person to stage BG's.

I hope you enjoy this.

terry dean

DWolman
09-30-2008, 10:06 PM
I actually have the original instructions for either the Acro-bat or Aero-bat, I forget which, just have to dig them up.

I'll look shortly and let everyone know what I found, and get them shared -

Ltvscout
10-01-2008, 08:16 AM
I actually have the original instructions for either the Acro-bat or Aero-bat, I forget which, just have to dig them up.

I'll look shortly and let everyone know what I found, and get them shared -
That's great news, Dan! Please send me the scans when you have the time at scotth at execpc dot com.

DWolman
10-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Just found the plans, they are for the Acro-Bat, assembly diagrams and instructions...so when combined with the templates that were posted earlier, there's the complete model!

I'll get them scanned and sent on shortly.

shockwaveriderz
10-02-2008, 01:44 PM
way cool Dan!

attached are a couple pics of the Aero-Bat Header and Package that I saw on Ebay. I wish I would have remembered to get the sellers name.

terry dean

timorley
10-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Just found the plans, they are for the Acro-Bat, assembly diagrams and instructions...so when combined with the templates that were posted earlier, there's the complete model!

Thank you Dan, this is great news!

timorley
10-02-2008, 02:11 PM
way cool Dan!

attached are a couple pics of the Aero-Bat Header and Package that I saw on Ebay. I wish I would have remembered to get the sellers name.

terry dean

Thanks for the pictures, they really are going to help too and it shows the nose cone clearly.

Faithwalker
01-17-2019, 02:16 AM

Just curious, did these plans for the Centuri Acro-Bat ever get posted anywhere?

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879 SR

Ltvscout
01-17-2019, 07:45 AM
Just curious, did these plans for the Centuri Acro-Bat ever get posted anywhere?

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879 SR
I don't believe I ever received them from Dan.

rraeford
02-09-2019, 01:23 PM
I am curious about this also.

DWolman
02-10-2019, 09:47 AM
Hi all - thanks for circling back on this. I believe I know where the plans are - let me see what I can dig up...

Thanks

Dan

timorley
02-10-2019, 09:15 PM
Thanks for reviving the thread, I obtained original instructors for the Acro-Bat. It's progress. Here is a quick scan of them. I will also send them to you Scott.

rraeford
02-11-2019, 06:27 AM
This is great! Now all we need are patterns.

Ltvscout
02-11-2019, 07:40 AM
Thanks for reviving the thread, I obtained original instructors for the Acro-Bat. It's progress. Here is a quick scan of them. I will also send them to you Scott.
Thank you, Tim! No need to re-send to me. You did what I would've and that is posted them here.

JohnNGA
02-11-2019, 10:14 AM
A couple of years ago I attempted to clone the Acro-Bat. I found an unopened kit on the Air and Space Museum site (could only see a little of the instructions and a few parts), combined some X-21 plans and patterns from YORP. I wasn't quite sure about the canard release mechanism, but after seeing Tim's post..looks like l got it right.
The ejection charge moves the canard tube forward just enough to release the flaps. Another interesting find was the forward bulkhead was drilled with a small hole (I think perhaps to control ejection gas pressure on canard piston). Anyway after a little trim weight on the rear wing, it turns in some great flights.
The other rocket is my version of the Hans glider, based on the same principle.

timorley
02-11-2019, 06:21 PM
That's what I was thinking about trying since we don't have actual Acro-Bat patterns, working with the X-21 patterns and adjust them for the Acro-Bat Assembly Drawings and instructions. Glad it worked out for you, nice job!