PDA

View Full Version : vintage Centuri rockets hoard found :)

Green Dragon
10-08-2008, 10:28 PM
ok, here goes... lol

Bought a large lot of vintage builtup birds this past weekend, from a local antique dealer.
These were his own teen year models, in excellent condition, not seen light of day since 1972.

Nicely constructed, sealed fins ( but grain showing on most ), straight fins, good craftsmanship for the time.:)
Also many sport scale scratchbuilts.

Will post list and pics as I can, need to get pics downloaded off the camera and write some details.

Mostly Centuri kits / parts :)

Some will be available, as I have one already, will list em here first before ebay , lol...

what I do have, is some birds that have no plans posted. :)

No actual instruction sheets, but can trace fins/ post lengths so they could be built.

correct me if worng, ( ie: these are posted ).

- Centuri 1.64" V2 ?

- Micro Probe ( one I have wanted for years :)

- Astrobee 350

- Batroc ( scan posted, but no dimensions or patterns,iirc )

will ahve to hunt and see what others are not posted online, wish I had the plans themselves, but he only had the original one for the Marauder ( 1965 version, scans on the way, Scott :)

will post more details as I go .

~ AL

Tau Zero
10-08-2008, 11:31 PM

No actual instruction sheets, but can trace fins/ post lengths so they could be built.

- Astrobee 350

will post more details as I go .WOW!!! :cool:

AL, you have me drowning in my own drool. :eek: :p

Please, share anything you can. Those are PRICELESS! :D

Cheers,

SEL
10-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Hey, Al -

Great find!!

I believe I have the Centuri V-2 plans - thought they were posted somewhere, but I'll get them off to Scott and copy you. I'll also work on getting the NARAM pics to you. Had a little camera trouble, so there aren't too many, but I'll send you what I have.

Sean

ok, here goes... lol

Bought a large lot of vintage builtup birds this past weekend, from a local antique dealer.
These were his own teen year models, in excellent condition, not seen light of day since 1972.

Nicely constructed, sealed fins ( but grain showing on most ), straight fins, good craftsmanship for the time.:)
Also many sport scale scratchbuilts.

Will post list and pics as I can, need to get pics downloaded off the camera and write some details.

Some will be available, as I have one already, will list em here first before ebay , lol...

correct me if worng, ( ie: these are posted ).

- Centuri 1.64" V2 ?

- Astrobee 350

will ahve to hunt and see what others are not posted online, wish I had the plans themselves, but he only had the original one for the Marauder ( 1965 version, scans on the way, Scott :)

will post more details as I go .

~ AL

Green Dragon
10-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Sean .

Do let me know on the scans - or if they are posted ( Scott ? you need any others, I will make a list of what I have to trace / measure, but no other actual instructions ) .

Same on the pics, bummer about the camera, but would love any you have :)

Do you have my direct email addy ?

drop a PM for that, or tell me where to get the pics downloaded, whatever.

See you later :)

~ AL

Green Dragon
10-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Well, here are a few pics of the hoard. 54 birds total, plus odds n ends and a launch tower, ( engines to come, sorry no B14s, lol )

first two pics are the lot as purchased, been sorting em out, and will have individual pics I took while sorting, for drooling, lol, or questions.

next pic is a unusual bird with 'cone' at back for guidance - sellers swears this was a kit as he did not design it, I have never seen that, ideas ? it is ST7 ( 18mm ( dia, with payload section and balsa cone.

Last is the launcher I got - tower has rails for guidance, but also a spot for the launch rod to fit in base, so rod inside the tower = tower is cosmetic overall.
Wood base, metal rails and look to be wood crosspieces. kit ? scratchbuiilt ? who made it ?

More to come as promised, been a crazy week since I got these, have not even got to play with em much :(

~ AL

Green Dragon
10-11-2008, 04:04 PM
oops, not sure why these two got left off, lol.

Tau Zero
10-11-2008, 06:09 PM
next pic is a unusual bird with 'cone' at back for guidance - sellers swears this was a kit as he did not design it, I have never seen that, ideas ? it is ST7 ( 18mm) dia, with payload section and balsa cone.AL,

It could be a variation on this Centuri "Finless" rocket, which I found plans for at JimZ:

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showpost.php?p=17727&postcount=41

Cheers,

ghrocketman
10-12-2008, 10:12 PM
WOW !!!
Great score, Al !!

Initiator001
10-13-2008, 01:51 AM
next pic is a unusual bird with 'cone' at back for guidance - sellers swears this was a kit as he did not design it, I have never seen that, ideas ? it is ST7 ( 18mm ( dia, with payload section and balsa cone.

~ AL

What this 'kit' could be and who manufactured it has been on my mind for a few days.

I went into my archives ( :rolleyes: ) and I think I MAY have the answer.

The April/May 1971 issue of Model Rocketry has an article about the 1971 HIAA Trade Show.

On page 12 of the magazine is a picture and description of a new Space Age Industries kit named the Vulcan. It is "A 15 (inch) tall finless rocket. The Vulcan is a 'tail cone' stabilized model using a 19mm body tube and balsa nose cone".

Perhaps this is the 'unknown' kit?

Bob

Phred
10-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Awesome score!

Is that a model missiles launch tower?

Phred

rangerstl
12-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Nice WWII Army foot locker as well. Is the removable tray with it? That might be worth $35 itself!