PDA

View Full Version : Wanted estes Icarus or maxi Icarus

Bluemax
10-29-2008, 01:07 AM
Anyone have an Estes Icarus or maxi icarus let me know thanks
Chuck M

tbzep
10-29-2008, 07:34 AM
I just finished cloning an Icarus and have started on the Maxi-Icarus. If you aren't collecting and just want the rocket, go for the clone.

Semroc has a BNC-50YP that is the shape of the old plastic cone. Semroc has the clear tubing you need in the correct length to boot. After building mine and cutting my own fins, I found that they also offer laser cut Icarus fins. The only thing you need to come up with that Semroc doesn't have are the decals. I made my own, but Phred at Excelsior Rocketry can hook you up with good decals too. :cool:

Bluemax
10-30-2008, 09:37 AM
I have started on clones even to a point of buying rockets such as the sizzler to get the correct plastic nose cone.I am having problems finding the plastic payload section for the maxi Icarus,any suggestions?
I just wanted an origianl also,
Thanks

Ltvscout
10-30-2008, 09:45 AM
I have started on clones even to a point of buying rockets such as the sizzler to get the correct plastic nose cone.I am having problems finding the plastic payload section for the maxi Icarus,any suggestions?
I just wanted an origianl also,
Thanks
Watch for a Super Nova Payloader to come up on eBay. You can still get them for a fair price. It has the correct payload section for a Maxi Icarus. I never checked but it may even be the correct nose cone as well.

CPMcGraw
10-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Watch for a Super Nova Payloader to come up on eBay. You can still get them for a fair price. It has the correct payload section for a Maxi Icarus. I never checked but it may even be the correct nose cone as well.

Scott,

Sorry, buddy, but the Super Nova Payloader had a long BT-55 clear tube and the (in)famous PNC-55AD (AKA PNC-55AO) nose cone. Vigilante/Comet/Meteor...

Maxi Icarus was BT-60, and used the same nose cone as the Screamin' Mimi. That's what I used as a starting point for my clone. The payload section is a length of fluorescent light bulb cover tubing.

For the original Icarus, you can get the nose cone (PNC-50Y), payload section (PST-50) and correct BT-50L from the current Nova Payloader kit. Just change the fins...

tbzep
10-30-2008, 01:08 PM
For the original Icarus, you can get the nose cone (PNC-50Y), payload section (PST-50) and correct BT-50L from the current Nova Payloader kit. Just change the fins...

I bought a Nova Payloader for that very purpose. I liked the face card so I ended up building the Payloader and just bought a balsa nosecone and a bunch of clear tubing in various sizes from Semroc to make my Icarus clone and any other payloader I fancy. :rolleyes:

I've had my fluorescent bulb sleeves stored away for a couple of years and have just recently gotten around to starting my Maxi-Icarus clone. I'm out of Screamin Mimi kits to bash, so I'll either turn my own or get a BNC-60AH from Semroc. If the sleeves don't fit commercial well, I'll most likely turn the cone and bulkhead myself.

Ltvscout
10-30-2008, 04:11 PM
Scott,

Sorry, buddy, but the Super Nova Payloader had a long BT-55 clear tube and the (in)famous PNC-55AD (AKA PNC-55AO) nose cone. Vigilante/Comet/Meteor...

Maxi Icarus was BT-60, and used the same nose cone as the Screamin' Mimi. That's what I used as a starting point for my clone. The payload section is a length of fluorescent light bulb cover tubing.

Well, there ya go. I just used up my allotment of being wrong only once a year. :D

CPMcGraw
10-30-2008, 04:34 PM
...If the (fluorescent bulb) sleeves don't fit commercial well, I'll most likely turn the cone and bulkhead myself...

They're not all made to the same dimensions. The one length of tube I bought has an ID exactly the same as the OD of BT-60. A very tight fit, in fact. But what this allows me to do is use a short length of BT-60 as sleeves for the shoulder of the nose cone, and to fit a balsa bulkhead to the other end. The OD of the clear tube is about two wall thicknesses larger than PST-60. Enough to notice, but not enough to worry about.

gpoehlein
10-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Well, there ya go. I just used up my allotment of being wrong only once a year. :D

A technician who used to work for me had this philosophy:

"Everyone's allowed one mistake a day... and that was mine!" :D

Greg

jetlag
11-02-2008, 07:50 AM
Here's a Maxi-Icarus on Ebay....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Estes-MAXIICARUS-1331-VINTAGE-OOP_W0QQitemZ230304891468QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item230304891468&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Go for it!!! :D

Allen

Edit: 11-06-08 That Maxi Icarus went for $69.57 plus $6.50 to ship. Not bad, I guess.
Scigs won it; think it's our Scigs from here?

A Fish Named Wallyum
11-02-2008, 11:33 PM
I used the payload section from a Loadstar.
http://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/oop_est_maxi_icarus.shtml

GIJoe
11-29-2008, 06:23 PM
Are you still looking for the parts. I just finished my Maxi Icarus (Needs Paint) and I have a few of the Estes BT-60 Payload kits, I also have a few of the PNC-60AH Nose cones, both the Blow Molded (Mean Machine type) and the Injected Molded (KC-3 Patriot type). Let me know if you interested.

Joe

Green Dragon
11-29-2008, 09:48 PM
Are you still looking for the parts. I just finished my Maxi Icarus (Needs Paint) and I have a few of the Estes BT-60 Payload kits, I also have a few of the PNC-60AH Nose cones, both the Blow Molded (Mean Machine type) and the Injected Molded (KC-3 Patriot type). Let me know if you interested.

Joe

JOE

you wouldn't have a spare base (plug ) for the injection molded cones , would you ?

I have an original black cone, but not the base ( where the shock cord attaches ), for Citation Patriot / Red Max, been saving it in case.

( would be interested in a payload kit, drop me a note with costs ? )

~ AL

GIJoe
11-30-2008, 02:40 PM
The nose cones I have are white and have a plastic part that glues into the base. It has a place built in for the installation of a Screw Eye.