PDA

View Full Version : Saturn Survivor

Rustee
11-08-2008, 02:20 PM
I pried this from a LHS where it must have been hanging for 20 years,he thought I was getting hosed actually! It was flown and bears some scars but nothing some basic modelling skills won't fix. A good Winter project maybe? Sale or trades considered. BTW,it cleaned up very nice!

jj94
11-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Is that an Estes Saturn?

Rustee
11-08-2008, 08:33 PM
It has Estes 'chutes,so I suppose it's an Estes,yes. Thanks for asking.

Royatl
11-09-2008, 12:37 AM
Is that an Estes Saturn?

Looks like the Keith Niskern Estes Saturn, #2001. Structurally based on the Centuri kit, which Niskern originally designed, but using the Estes detail set (paper wraps, balsa fins, molded styrene details).

Rustee
11-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the info Royatl. With all my new D and E rockets I might have to buck up for an Aerotech motor,the guy at the hobby shop said it only went about 150 feet on a D12-3!

STRMan
11-09-2008, 03:25 PM
That old rocket is in pretty bad shape. I doubt it is flight-worthy. If I was you, I would get rid of it. I'm feeling a bit magnanimous today, so if you want to send it to me, I will take care of it for you. ;) :chuckle:

Just kidding. Nice find.

Rustee
11-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Well ,cosmetically it's not mint by any means,I'd replace the fins and this missing little balsa hook near the top,the tower,straighten some of the details then fill,sand and paint it and I might have a rocket. Ebay is lousy with Saturn V kits but I gave the poor hobby shop guy $40 for it. I'm not complaining,it's another one of my great collecting stories. Now,unlike my Centuri 1B and Omega-P finds,maybe I'll hold on to it! I bought about $1000 worth of NIP kits this year and some are just too rare for me to build so that's why I flog them. This,however,ain't one of them!