PDA

View Full Version : This Weekend's Launch

stefanj
09-12-2005, 06:34 PM
OROC held its annual "Sheridan" launch this weekend. A nice big field, but the launch was still oriented toward smaller models.

I launched:

* Skyhook. A clone. Flew darn high on A10-3T.

* Buchanan Buster. Its second flight. Nice, high, and straight on a B4-4. The shock cord tore out (thank you, Estes, for those explosive ejection charges) and the parachute and cone drifted about a half mile away. The two outboard nosecones sustained some damage. I'll probably have to round them off.

*Semroc Javelin. Another streaky high flight, on a A3-4T. Mini-motors work great in small rockets!

* Mega-Ranger clone. I flew it "in primer," which is unusual for me. I used 3 x C11-7, of which I have plenty due to an less than satisfactory order substitution. This turned out to be a near perfect motor combination. It ejected just a little after peak alitude. A great flight.

* Delta Fox. An old (1990 or so) Firefox Industries kit. This is a near-perfect demo model; when flown on a D12-3 it rises slowly and smoothly to a couple of hundred feet, pops its big parachute and drifts down within easy walking distance. I was hoping to try a E9-4 in it, but time ran out.

* Astron Ranger: Clone. 3 x B4-4. Flew great, but another shock cord failure! No damage, and I got the payload section back.

* Viking II clone. A sturdy replicant based on a foil-lined 24mm mount tube. I finally flew this on a E9-8. Flew out of sight, with just a touch less stability than shown with lighter motors. Someone spotted it on the way down.

* Oracle Carrier. A hopefully lighter, and much more streamlined, substitute for Estes clunky video camera rocket. A 29mm motor mount tube with a transition to a BT-60 on top. Flew great, but I couldn't appreciate it much because I was nervous as hell and anxious to get the camera back to my laptop in time to download the video. (Which turned out pretty good.)

I was all set to launch an original Der Red Max and my "Badger", but a terriffic rainstorm hit. I booked rather than wait it out, which was the right decision.

sTefan

SEL
09-12-2005, 08:18 PM
OROC held its annual "Sheridan" launch this weekend. A nice big field, but the launch was still oriented toward smaller models.

I launched:

* Buchanan Buster. Its second flight. Nice, high, and straight on a B4-4. The shock cord tore out (thank you, Estes, for those explosive ejection charges) and the parachute and cone drifted about a half mile away. The two outboard nosecones sustained some damage. I'll probably have to round them off.

* Astron Ranger: Clone. 3 x B4-4. Flew great, but another shock cord failure! No damage, and I got the payload section back.

sTefan

How are you attaching the shock cord - standard glued -to -the -side of the BT, or down at the motor mount? Personaly, I've never liked the kevlar (or elastic, for that matter)/motor mount combo. Those are the only separations due to shock cord failure I've ever had - the ejection charge just burns right through it :(

Sean

stefanj
09-12-2005, 10:00 PM
The Ranger had a paper-tab shock cord mount, with an elastic cord.

The Buchanan Buster had a slit-tube mount, also an elastic cord.

I agree about mounting the elastic to the motor mount, at least on small tubes. (If there is at least an inch of centering ring on the sides, I think there's less of a chance of "roasting.")

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-12-2005, 10:35 PM
The Ranger had a paper-tab shock cord mount, with an elastic cord.

The Buchanan Buster had a slit-tube mount, also an elastic cord.

I agree about mounting the elastic to the motor mount, at least on small tubes. (If there is at least an inch of centering ring on the sides, I think there's less of a chance of "roasting.")

Very true. My Fat Boy-based Star Snoop upscale has almost 40 flights on its Kevlar shock cord. It's mounted between the centering ring and the inner wall of the rocket.