PDA

View Full Version : Found Marauder

Rustee
11-16-2008, 09:00 PM
Picked this up today,I think it's #1922. Looks verry nice up close,but with one fin glued back on,and never flown. This was a hobby shop display item. I might straighten the fin but this one sits.

TXFergie
11-17-2008, 07:22 AM
Excellent find! Notice my avatar - the Marauder was one of my first rockets back in the 80s. I am still getting everything together to make a clone of it. That one looks nice - I would send it up at least once, like I try to do with all of my rockets but that's just me. I do have a couple that probably won't see a launch pad but they haven't been built up yet.

Still, you have a nice little classic there. There is a Marauder in the classic series that is supposed to be introduced next year by Estes, and they said it was based on the #1922 kit, but I don't think it looks much like it at all. All that is my own opinion.......

Rustee
11-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Yes,I've seen one that's #1110 then #3036 or something,based on an earlier design. I really like the looks of this one,and it's a payloder too! It's too pretty to fly,I can just look at it. (Unless,I get another one!)

CPMcGraw
11-17-2008, 10:40 AM
...There is a Marauder in the classic series that is supposed to be introduced next year by Estes, and they said it was based on the #1922 kit, but I don't think it looks much like it at all. All that is my own opinion.......

The opinion is good, as the "Classic Series" Marauder is a two-stage design. The image shown in the brochure is the wrong model (it's the Twister image again; see the model just above).

I think the text may be wrong, too. The #1922 was only a single-stage model, based on the Cyclone. Here's the Centuri version, for reference: Ninfinger Archive Image (http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/nostalgia/69cenp37.html). A good number of the other designs are Centuri, which is why I'm thinking it's going to be more like this one. [Addendum] Look at the second cover page of the brochure, and you'll see the Marauder. This image is correct, and is a revision of the Centuri design.

Doug Sams
11-17-2008, 11:07 AM
The opinion is good, as the "Classic Series" Marauder is a two-stage design. The image shown in the brochure is the wrong model (it's the Twister image again; see the model just above). I saw that, too.

I think the text may be wrong, too. The #1922 was only a single-stage model, based on the Cyclone. Here's the Centuri version, for reference: Ninfinger Archive Image (http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/nostalgia/69cenp37.html). A good number of the other designs are Centuri, which is why I'm thinking it's going to be more like this one.Good detective work!

BTW, the Ninfinger page includes the B14-0 and B4-6 as recommended engines. Here's hoping for them to be included, too :D

Doug

motley16
11-26-2008, 12:00 PM
that is a great pick up . blast it up on the first clear day. congrats man. :)

Green Dragon
11-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Nice find.

I have a builtup Marauder someplace, lost the payload section though... can build a new payload from parts, but need the roll pattern decal for the transition ( if anyone has one ) .

Some have said they don;t like the design, but I always liked this bird, too, interesting addition to the fleet.

As for the new kit, that is based on the Centuri 2 stage Marauder, as noted.

Rustee
11-26-2008, 08:10 PM
Thanks guys,I thought it looked awesome but didn't know anything about it,except I needed it!

CPMcGraw
11-26-2008, 09:47 PM
Some have said they don;t like the design, but I always liked this bird, too, interesting addition to the fleet.

I like the design, but the engineering of the fin roots is weak. I've had two models, one from a kit and one a clone, where the fins broke in nearly the same places. What I can't tell is if this is ascent stress, or impact stress at touchdown.

Strange, though, that my clone of the #1907 Cyclone (exact same fins) has flown well several times without seeing the same damage.

TXFergie
11-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Nice find.

I have a builtup Marauder someplace, lost the payload section though... can build a new payload from parts, but need the roll pattern decal for the transition ( if anyone has one ) .

I believe that Excelsior Rocketry has the decals for the Marauder #1922, $9.00 for the set. I was looking for a set for myself when I get around to cloning it. The plans that are online here are good, but I don't have a printer that would print the silver transition section. Hope it helps....

Green Dragon
11-27-2008, 09:57 PM
I believe that Excelsior Rocketry has the decals for the Marauder #1922, $9.00 for the set. I was looking for a set for myself when I get around to cloning it. The plans that are online here are good, but I don't have a printer that would print the silver transition section. Hope it helps....

Thanks for the update, will have to drop phred a line and see if he can get me just the rollpattern shroud decal,
maybe add to another sheet, since I need to get a bunch of goodies sometime anyways :)

Dannycolossus
08-02-2009, 05:49 PM
This is one of my faveorite kits, along with the colossus, laser-X and rubicon. i am getting the parts from semroc (only balsa ta&nc) soon. btw, the decal patterns and such can be found at ye olde rocket plans. you were realy lucky to come across one of these. ive seen a kit at a yard sale, but someone else got to it first. :mad:

Rustee
08-03-2009, 02:27 PM
Yes,the Rubicon is a great kit,I really like the fact that it has no balsa but it's also scale and looks cool,it flew perfectly for me too on a D12-3.

Dannycolossus
08-03-2009, 05:47 PM
mine went up and the ejection didn't blow at appoge, instead the thing fliped and cut a trenck about 24 inches long. some slight melting on the nozzles, and the nose cone is mildly crumpled on one side, but i will fly it again!