PDA

View Full Version : You owe it to yourself to check this out.....

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-13-2005, 01:56 AM
Trust me on this. Vote early and often. This is like a model rocket history lesson. I'm going to go broke if Carl starts producing these kits.
http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/ClassicKits.asp
:cool: :cool: :cool:

CPMcGraw
09-13-2005, 02:53 AM
Trust me on this. Vote early and often. This is like a model rocket history lesson. I'm going to go broke if Carl starts producing these kits.

Scott needs to add a "Jumping Man" emoticon... :D

Carl has the BARCLONE Stryker on that list! :cool:

If Carl starts producing the Stryker, I won't be able to contain myself! :D :D :D

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-13-2005, 02:55 AM
Scott needs to add a "Jumping Man" emoticon to the list... :D

If Carl starts producing the Stryker, I won't be able to contain myself! :D :D :D

I'd consider my rocketry life complete if I landed a design on there. :cool:

snaquin
09-13-2005, 06:36 PM

I voted for the KE-5 Athena and my three personal favorites: The 1340, 2250 & 2650 Sounding Rockets (Even though I just recently bought the parts from Semroc to build another 2250 from plans).

How cool would it be to just press that little button on the left of the screen and the kit you select is added to your shopping cart?

So many good ones to choose from!

Green Dragon
09-13-2005, 09:06 PM
hmm, ok, cast my votes... although some of these seem to be in the works, judging from the ' coming soon' items on Carl's site :-)

one thing I noted was the lack of votes for the FSI stuff (read: large scale kits) - these would seem to be a perfect fit for the Semroc line, as they use Centuri / Semroc parts sizes acrossed the board.

also, like the idea of the 2250./2650 :-)

off-topic - Steve, what plans did you use for your 2250, vintage or the ones sold by Composite Dynamics,circa 1980-81 ?

~ AL

snaquin
09-13-2005, 09:46 PM
also, like the idea of the 2250./2650 :-)

off-topic - Steve, what plans did you use for your 2250, vintage or the ones sold by Composite Dynamics,circa 1980-81 ?

~ AL

I used both plans and the Gary Rosenfield CD drawings and some pics of Garys rocket from an early NARAM. (Although the original plans are not very detailed) I'm going to start another thread here tomorrow with a pic of my 2650.

sorry, also off-topic!

Green Dragon
09-13-2005, 10:01 PM
I used both plans and the Gary Rosenfield CD drawings and some pics of Garys rocket from an early NARAM. (Although the original plans are not very detailed) I'm going to start another thread here tomorrow with a pic of my 2650.

sorry, also off-topic!

please do post the pics :-)

I have the CD drawings form the 2250 and 2650, but never had a vintage original kit ... had the chance to buy a 2650 once for big bucks, can;t imagine how rare that is these days ...

I did have (lost ) a US Rockets Hi-test 2650 (not an exact copy ), three G45's at LDRS 6 sent it bye-bye :-)
got a call later that it's remains were found MANY miles away....

if I get a chance, will post pics of my 2250 clone ( original FSI parts ), as soon as I finish putting on the Excelsior Enerjet decals ( Thanks Phred ! :-) , and the chrome wraps to match the CD plans.

plans call for the first flight ( bird's been built for only 5-6 years without decals, never wanted to fly 'naked' although it;s been painted orange and black since bult :-) .. since FSI motors are not to be had, thinking Estes E9-8's ????

~ AL

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-13-2005, 10:11 PM

sorry, also off-topic!

Yeah. Nothing I hate more than when someone hijacks my rocket thread by talking about rockets. :D
Are you kidding? Post away. The only reason I didn't vote for the rockets you were talking about is that I have no idea what they are or what they look like. There are a ton of rockets on the list that are complete mysteries to me. I'm all ears, er.....eyes.

ghrocketman
09-13-2005, 10:47 PM
I just finished a clone (including the body wraps !) of the Enerjet Athena !
It is complete except for the decals....now if Phred would just come up with a set !! (PHRED ?)
This one gets my vote !

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-13-2005, 11:20 PM
I have the pod tubes for an Orion clone with me here at work tonight. I'm planning to do a little sanding during the inevitable downtime. No wraps on this one just yet, but I reserve the right to add them after I see how it performs. It uses Moldin' Oldies cones and Semroc everything else, including a sharp looking, well thought out ejection baffle. It will be 24mm powered to take advantage of the C11's. Based on my experience with the D12 ejection charges, I'll probably not bother with them. They already cost me a Taurus. :(

ghrocketman
09-13-2005, 11:31 PM
How 'bout an E9-6 for that Orion ?

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-13-2005, 11:42 PM
How 'bout an E9-6 for that Orion ?

I considered it, but I occasionally have moments of sanity. I also considered clustering it. ;)
I overdid the first Taurus I built, so I'm going to admit to being a little gun shy on this one. I'd like to get more than three flights out of a rocket that I clone for a change. :eek:

Eagle3
09-15-2005, 09:22 AM
*nudges the thread slightly back to topic* ;)

Anyone else notice that Carl already has laser cut fin part numbers assigned to some of the kits on the list? :D

Green Dragon
09-15-2005, 11:02 AM

Anyone else notice that Carl already has laser cut fin part numbers assigned to some of the kits on the list? :D

Yes I did ( and commented that some of these will show up as ' coming soon'

not as well-hidden on the site, I guess, just type them intot he search box on carl's site - ie: thunderbird, and it comes up with a kit box, with pic and ' coming soon' :-)

found that out the other day - also note that when I odered last from Semroc, including laser cut Thunderbird fins , that he threw in a bonus - Thunderbird Decals sheet :-) , so I guess I', building the first Semroc Thunderbird, not a clone :-)

~ AL

Vanel
09-15-2005, 02:12 PM
I have an all Semroc Thunder Roc; my Thunder Bird uses decals by Excelsior... I'm saving Carl's Thunder Bird decals to use on the inevitable replacement I will have to build :p

Soon I will get around to the Thunder Hawk , which will complete the family (Semroc ThunderBee has been built). Fin set is in may parts box, waiting for me to find the time.

Green Dragon
09-15-2005, 02:15 PM
Al,

Not before I did - lookie here (http://www.billcooke.org/images/Fleet/ThunderBird.jpg). :D Also have an all Semroc ThunderRoc (http://www.billcooke.org/images/Fleet/ThunderRoc.jpg) . Carl really went out of his way to provide decals.

I also ordered a spare set of ThunderBird decals from Phred, as a crash and rebuild is inevitable... :p

---------

Bill,

both look good :-) - as well as your Bertha you posted.

after looking closely at your Thunderbird ( had to lighten it up some ), it's a clone - the logo at the start of the lettering says " Centuri " .

the decal set Carl sent me, has " Semroc" in a circle (oval), not centuri, making it a SEMROC kit, not a clone, lol .... thought that was neat, myself :-)

my original post was re: Semroc making a kit, not cloning with Semroc parts, likely a few dozen of these built with Semroc parts already , lol

will have to build a ThunderRoc to go along with it, I guess ( or wait for the Semroc kit :-)

~ AL

Vanel
09-15-2005, 02:40 PM
Al,

Got my birds confused earlier - My Thunder Roc uses all Semroc stuff, and - you are correct - the Thunder Bird uses Phred's decals. Had to look at the pictures to get things right :eek: I can't keep my decals straight.

The original post has been corrected. :)

The Thunder Roc is an awesone flyer on E9's!

Tau Zero
09-15-2005, 11:39 PM
I'd consider my rocketry life complete if I landed a design on there. :cool:
Yeah, baby. (casts furtive look at nearby box labeled "Top Secret") :eek: ;) :D :cool:

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-15-2005, 11:41 PM
Yeah, baby. (casts furtive look at nearby box labeled "Top Secret") :eek: ;) :D :cool:

--Jay

I have no illusions about my creativity. The Big Betty would have been about my speed and it's been done.

Tau Zero
09-15-2005, 11:42 PM

So how did you swing *that,* Craig? :confused: ;) :D

--Jay

CPMcGraw
09-16-2005, 12:48 AM
So how did you swing *that,* Craig? :confused: ;) :D

--Jay

[Scratching head sounds...] Uhhh... :o

I wish I knew... I'd try to do it more often! :D

ghrocketman
09-16-2005, 11:09 AM
If you type in the word "kit" in the search box on the Semroc site one can see all the kits INCLUDING those coming soon. I notice the Aero-Dart is there (Yee-haww!), I'm guessing in the 1967 to 1971 guise due to the due to the body tube diameter dimension of 1.84".
There is no pic of this kit however.

Now if Carl would just start kitting the following Enerjet kits: ATHENA, Nike Smoke, 2250, and 2650.
I see the Athena is at the top of the list on the Semroc site for getting votes for what kit should be next.
Please vote, Lets keep it at the top !

snaquin
09-16-2005, 03:21 PM
If you type in the word "kit" in the search box on the Semroc site one can see all the kits INCLUDING those coming soon. I notice the Aero-Dart is there (Yee-haww!), I'm guessing in the 1967 to 1971 guise due to the due to the body tube diameter dimension of 1.84".
There is no pic of this kit however.

Now if Carl would just start kitting the following Enerjet kits: ATHENA, Nike Smoke, 2250, and 2650.
I see the Athena is at the top of the list on the Semroc site for getting votes for what kit should be next.
Please vote, Lets keep it at the top !

Athena would be an awesome kit. It got my votes along with the 2250 and 2650 at Semroc. I always wanted the Athena. The four EnerJet kits you mentioned are four of my favorites too!

Ltvscout
09-16-2005, 08:39 PM
I just went and voted on all the models I'd like to see be released.

barone
09-16-2005, 10:51 PM
I'd like to see the FSI kits released with updated motor mounts (not the odd sizes like 27mm), particularly the Viking series (something about those fin designs :) ), but my vote is on the Canaroc Orbitron (since I already have original FSI kits :rolleyes: ).

Don
NAR 53455

Arley Davis
09-17-2005, 07:10 PM
The Python Fighter is on the list of rockets that Semroc may produce; so vote for it and maybe we can all get the kit.

Carl@Semroc
09-29-2005, 10:54 PM
Scott needs to add a "Jumping Man" emoticon... :D

Everything is available for the Stryker now. That is a great looking rocket! When I built the fit-together model, it looked even better than I first thought based on the pictures.

Carl@Semroc
09-29-2005, 11:21 PM

Anyone else notice that Carl already has laser cut fin part numbers assigned to some of the kits on the list? :DMany more are in the works. I have to get a "What's New" page that updates automatically!

Carl@Semroc
09-29-2005, 11:35 PM
Athena would be an awesome kit. It got my votes along with the 2250 and 2650 at Semroc. I always wanted the Athena. The four EnerJet kits you mentioned are four of my favorites too!The wraps for the Athena are the hold-up for us. Looking at the nose cones for the pods, I was trying something slightly different for an Athena/Orion/Taurus inspired design.

CPMcGraw
09-30-2005, 12:32 AM
Everything is available for the Stryker now. That is a great looking rocket! When I built the fit-together model, it looked even better than I first thought based on the pictures.

...Imagine if you will a ten gallon fish tank with 12 gallons of water... :eek:

(I know what you're thinking, Bill...) :D

I've yet to finish the prototype, what with two hurricanes and such down here (Mobile, AL). It just needs painting and detailing, which I'll try to do this weekend. RockSim says it will fly best on B6-4 and C6-5 engines, with a 1/8th oz weight (#10 sinker) glued to the back of the shoulder.

My first set of decal images tries to expand on the old "Astron Spacelines" theme, with the Stryker as a passenger shuttle. I need to come up with something a little different, though...

Thanks, Carl!

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-30-2005, 12:34 AM
...Imagine if you will a ten gallon fish tank with 12 gallons of water... :eek:

(I know what you're thinking, Bill...) :D

Beer?

CPMcGraw
09-30-2005, 12:40 AM
Beer?

All I've got in the fridge right now is a lazy TurboDog... :(

(It's been laying in there for at least six months...) :eek:

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-30-2005, 12:43 AM
All I've got in the fridge right now is a lazy TurboDog... :(

(It's been laying in there for at least six months...) :eek:

That's okay. My mind switched gears. Now I'm thinking music, sex, and cookies. Any Oreo's in there? ;) I'm blastin' XM Deep Tracks at max volume, but my Famous Amos stash is tapped. :D

CPMcGraw
09-30-2005, 12:47 AM
Carl,

Are you looking into producing larger-diameter plastic parachutes? I noticed in the RS database there were listings for 16", 20", and 24" versions. These were available in the early days, right? Any thoughts about now?

CPMcGraw
09-30-2005, 12:58 AM
That's okay. My mind switched gears. Now I'm thinking music, sex, and cookies. Any Oreo's in there? ;) I'm blastin' XM Deep Tracks at max volume, but my Famous Amos stash is tapped. :D

Oreos...

In the pantry...

A box that's been in there the better part of two years... :p

One of those Sam's Club "value-sized" boxes. I think I consumed two strips, and the rest got shoved to the back of the shelf. Science project now: I'm waiting for it to "develop language skills"...

There's some "Sand Pear-in-yon" and some fig brandy on the shelf above it... Home-made stuff from a few friends who know how... I'm a willing guinea pig...

ghrocketman
09-30-2005, 11:03 AM
ATHENA ATHENA ATHENA ATHENA !!!!!!

barone
09-30-2005, 01:00 PM
ATHENA ATHENA ATHENA ATHENA !!!!!!

Okay....Thena is showing up in alot of post. Am I missing something? (wouldn't be the first time) Where can I get a look at this rocket?

Don
NAR 53455

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-30-2005, 01:37 PM
Okay....Thena is showing up in alot of post. Am I missing something? (wouldn't be the first time) Where can I get a look at this rocket?

Don
NAR 53455

http://www.dars.org/jimz/ke-5.htm
:cool:

barone
09-30-2005, 04:02 PM
http://www.dars.org/jimz/ke-5.htm
:cool:

Ohhhhhh yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh! ;)

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-30-2005, 04:26 PM
Ohhhhhh yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh! ;)

Remind me to talk to Scott about getting a "SCHWING" smilie. :D

Arley Davis
10-01-2005, 08:24 PM
Look at this as will!

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/enerjet72/72ejet12.html

ghrocketman
11-10-2005, 09:04 PM
HEY !!!!
What's up with the votes on the Semroc site ????
All the total votes are now all messed up....the Enerjet Athena is no longer anywhere near the top ! :mad: :mad: :mad: GRR ! :mad: :mad: :mad:
What gives ????????????????

Carl@Semroc
11-10-2005, 11:59 PM
What's up with the votes on the Semroc site ????
All the total votes are now all messed up....the Enerjet Athena is no longer anywhere near the top ! :mad: :mad: :mad: GRR ! :mad: :mad: :mad:
What gives ????????????????Going back through the logs, there were some cases where the same IP address voted multiple times for the same kit. It is not worth the time to do the culling of duplicates real time, so I have to go back through logs and adjust it manually. I am sorry for any inconvenience this causes.

Tau Zero
11-11-2005, 12:12 AM
Going back through the logs, there were some cases where the same IP address voted multiple times for the same kit. It is not worth the time to do the culling of duplicates real time, so I have to go back through logs and adjust it manually. I am sorry for any inconvenience this causes.For the record, I *was* tempted to "stuff the ballot box," but apparently I was simply overcome with awe at being able to ACTUALLY VOTE! :D :cool:

Carl, thanks again for all you do for us. Adding FSI's ST-11 and 18 tubes give us more options for up- and downscaling (and being able to maintain the relative proportions). :D

Cheers, as always,

--Jay :eek: