PDA

View Full Version : Photos from NAR SWR-II in Houston in early 1970's

Heli Hacker
11-24-2008, 11:07 PM
I am wondering if anyone out there might have attended the NAR Southwest Regional II Rocketry meet at the Manned Spaceflight Center in Houston. I believe it was sometime between 1972 and 1974.

I attended this meet, but I don't have any photo record of it. If you have any photos from this event and can scan them for me I would very much like to see them.

Thanks!
Greg

dwmzmm
11-25-2008, 05:38 AM
Don't have photos, but I think I attended. Does names like Mark Wargo, David Scott, etc.,
ring a bell? I entered and flew my Estes K-36 Saturn - V for scale. Represented the Ark-La-
Tex Model Rocket Club from Bossier City, LA; most of our club members attended in force
to give the Apollo/NASA Section a run for their money.....

Heli Hacker
11-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Don't have photos, but I think I attended. Does names like Mark Wargo, David Scott, etc.,
ring a bell? I entered and flew my Estes K-36 Saturn - V for scale. Represented the Ark-La-
Tex Model Rocket Club from Bossier City, LA; most of our club members attended in force
to give the Apollo/NASA Section a run for their money.....

YES! I was in that club. The names you mention are vaguely familiar. Also I remember Mark Knox being the club president then. Our club launches were behind Airline High School.

I entered the altitude, egg loft and rocket glider events at SWR-II. I managed to win the rocket glider event - one reason that meet is burned into my memory.

I think about it every time I hear Mason Williams' "Classical Gas" since that was the background music on the Apollo film they showed us after the meet.

I just notice your NAR number is 21853. My old number was 21847, though I let my membership expire ages ago.

Greg Glenn

Ltvscout
11-25-2008, 11:39 AM
I just notice your NAR number is 21853. My old number was 21847, though I let my membership expire ages ago.
Greg,

Since you remember your old number, should you become a NAR member again you can request your old number and they'll give it to you.

dwmzmm
11-25-2008, 12:04 PM
YES! I was in that club. The names you mention are vaguely familiar. Also I remember Mark Knox being the club president then. Our club launches were behind Airline High School.

I entered the altitude, egg loft and rocket glider events at SWR-II. I managed to win the rocket glider event - one reason that meet is burned into my memory.

I think about it every time I hear Mason Williams' "Classical Gas" since that was the background music on the Apollo film they showed us after the meet.

Greg Glenn

Greg, yes I do remember your name now! I was the one who drove up from Natchitoches
to Shreveport/Bossier City to participate in the club launches, meetings, contests, etc. Several times we could stay at Mark's house for the weekend so as to not worry about
motel costs. Some other names I can recall are Bland Huffman, Tom & Mike Sullivan,
Pat Gilliand (and his dad, who was our Section Advisor) and some others (I can remember
their faces but the names have vanished from my memory -- for now).

Scott is correct, you can rejoin the NAR and still get your old NAR number back. You'll be
surprised of the respect and awe others will look at you when you go to launches/meets
and they see what your NAR # is. If you're a BAR, welcome back! BTW, where do you live?

barone
11-25-2008, 03:07 PM
........Scott is correct, you can rejoin the NAR and still get your old NAR number back. You'll be
surprised of the respect and awe others will look at you when you go to launches/meets
and they see what your NAR # is. ..........
And be a cherished member at Old Rocketeer Reunions.....Just held one in conjunction with NARAM 50. Special guest were all those under 50000.

Heli Hacker
11-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Yeah, I remember all those names. Mark drove some of us to Houston in his station wagon. That was some wacky roadtrip. I wasn't sure we were gonna make it back.

I live near St. Louis, MO now. When I lived in Mesa AZ during the 90's I was a Tripoli member and a member of the Superstition Spacemodeling Society. I got into larger rockets so I could launch cameras, altimeters and such.

I was lucky enough to meet G. Harry Stine at one of our launches around 1996 . He was our range safety officer for a few hours during that launch, and he inspected my cluster-engine rocket with 35mm camera payload prior to launch. Talk about sweaty palms!

I believe he passed away the following year. We owe a lot to him.

Lately I am more into R/C helicopters, but I am sure I will work my way back around to rocketry one of these days. Then I'll be twice born again!

barone
11-25-2008, 04:50 PM
There are some NAR clubs in that area when you decide to come back to the true American hobby :D You can find them through the NAR website.....

http://www.nar.org/

GregGleason
04-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Does names like Mark Wargo....

Speaking of Mark Wargo. I was just looking at my October 1971 copy of Model Rocketry magazine and he is on the cover. That issue covered NARAM-13. There are 2 or 3 pictures of G.H.S. in there.

Greg

dwmzmm
04-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Speaking of Mark Wargo. I was just looking at my October 1971 copy of Model Rocketry magazine and he is on the cover. That issue covered NARAM-11. There are 2 or 3 pictures of G.H.S. in there.

Greg

Greg:

I see you're from Houston, whereabout? We have the Challenger 498 NAR Section over on
the far west side of Houston, and the NASA/Houston Rocket Club (#365) is in the JSC area.
Since you said you have the October 1971 copy of the Model Rocketry magazine (I do too),
you must have been around for a long time :D . Maybe we can meet up and fly some rockets sometimes?!

GregGleason
04-20-2009, 10:21 PM
I live near the Town&Country area. I typically fly with the Tripoli Houston group, and someday I may take you up on your invitation. And yes I must admit that I am a more senior rocketeer and bought that issue (or had it bought for me) when I was considerably younger!

Greg

dwmzmm
04-20-2009, 10:30 PM
I live near the Town&Country area. I typically fly with the Tripoli Houston group, and someday I may take you up on your invitation. And yes I must admit that I am a more senior rocketeer and bought that issue (or had it bought for me) when I was considerably younger!

Greg

Ok, so you're pretty close to us. We (Challenger 498) now launch at our new launch site down in Needville, and motors up to I are allowed. Shawn Miller flies with us there pretty
often. Please do check us out when you get the chance.